Melbourne Football

Iain Ramsay

Tesla

Good LB's don't seem to grow on trees. As a general rule, I think it's easier to teach a naturally attacking player to defend than it is to teach a defensive minded player to attack. And it's something he wants to add to his game, otherwise he wouldnt've come over. So even though I don't know much about him, I don't mind giving it a go.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Was immense and played out of his skin last night

Iain Ramsay vs Newcastle Passing 30 of 36 successful (83%)

2poxyc1.png

Got a goal (albeit with a fortunate deflection) and provided a fine assist to Dugandzic for our third goal. Also, his passing was good, including a number of smart flicks and tricks.

He showed promise in pre-season, but has been disappointing this season. Although in retrospect maybe a 25 year old new to our club like Ramsay was never going to be a main game-changer whilst the whole team was struggling and failing under Aloisi.

He seemed to walk taller after his goal last night, so hopefully we see more performances like this for the remainder of the season.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 2

For my money the whole team has improved under JVS but Ramsay has improved the most. At the derby I commented to my brother that Ramsay looked scared when he got the ball. Now that I've watched the replay twice he is playing with confidence (they all are) and beginning to control the ball better (well he did), is positioning himself better and putting pressure on opposition players. Is he playing for his career? In a sense they all are but Ramsay has one year left on his contract so unless he gets paid out he will be there next season. Players like Mifsud won't be at Heart nor at any other A-League club, and he will be going to a lower league unless he improves drastically - now he is playing for his career!

• Like 1

This bloke needs to learn to track back and follow your runners. I remember a point in the first half where he just gave up and let their winger stroll into the box to put in a cross with zero pressure.

Not sure if it's a fitness issue or attitude issue, either way he needs to sort it out. Benny Garuccio put in a good showing for himself and should really be pushing for Ramsay's spot.

• 1 month later...

Ramsay made David Davutovic's list of the top 10 most underrated players in the A-League:

8 Iain Ramsay (Melbourne Heart)

Epitomised Heart’s resurgence and a player John van’t Schip appears to hugely admire. He’s quick and full of tricks but he’s become super consistent over the last two months.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/studs-up-blog-david-davutovic-names-his-10-most-underrated-players-in-the-aleague/story-fnk6pqhd-1226843425211

I'd like to see some better shooting from Ramsay, but IMO he's a good passer, and he's especially good at crossing. He produced a fine cross to set up our first derby goal, and he's pretty good at taking set pieces (I'm pretty certain that both of Kisnorbo's headed goals came from Ramsay free kicks, for instance). My guess is that's why JVS likes him, although I still wouldn't rule out Garuccio displacing him before the end of the season because Garuccio's been superb.

Edited by Murfy1

Ramsay made David Davutovic's list of the top 10 most underrated players in the A-League:

Epitomised Heart’s resurgence and a player John van’t Schip appears to hugely admire. He’s quick and full of tricks but he’s become super consistent over the last two months.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/studs-up-blog-david-davutovic-names-his-10-most-underrated-players-in-the-aleague/story-fnk6pqhd-1226843425211

I'd like to see some better shooting from Ramsay, but IMO he's a good passer, and he's especially good at crossing. He produced a fine cross to set up our first derby goal, and he's pretty good at taking set pieces (I'm pretty certain that both of Kisnorbo's headed goals came from Ramsay free kicks, for instance). My guess is that's why JVS likes him, although I still wouldn't rule out Garuccio displacing him before the end of the season because Garuccio's been superb.

I remember towards the end of last season at a home game I told my brother that Ramsay looked scared to have the ball, then I realised that most players (if not all) lacked so much confidence that all they really wanted to do was just get rid of the ball. It was at that point that I hated JA - before that it was just a realisation that he was not a good coach, but that JA was destroying so many careers just raised my ire. And yes despite all the crap that he cops I do think that he does well and this year has grown in confidence. At the derby I cheered every time that he took a shot at the goals (I believe that he hit the woodwork 3 times) because in December he would never have believed in himself enough to even attempt a shot.

One final thing reading through the blogs people seem to be able to pick all the flaws in every players game but if they were flawless would those players be in the A-League?

I remember towards the end of last season at a home game I told my brother that Ramsay looked scared to have the ball, then I realised that most players (if not all) lacked so much confidence that all they really wanted to do was just get rid of the ball. It was at that point that I hated JA - before that it was just a realisation that he was not a good coach, but that JA was destroying so many careers just raised my ire. And yes despite all the crap that he cops I do think that he does well and this year has grown in confidence. At the derby I cheered every time that he took a shot at the goals (I believe that he hit the woodwork 3 times) because in December he would never have believed in himself enough to even attempt a shot.

One final thing reading through the blogs people seem to be able to pick all the flaws in every players game but if they were flawless would those players be in the A-League?

I very much agree. It's easy to criticise A-League players about one aspect or another, as all A-League players have blemishes, because as you rightly say if players were flawless (or just had minimal flaws) they would have left the A-league and have been bought by overseas clubs.

So It's tough to judge A-League players fairly overall. IMO Ramsay is a good passer, however I do personally think he could improve his finishing. It was good to see him hit the woodwork multiple times on the weekend, but I think Ramsay can do better. Although credit to him for shooting a bit more in the first place. Sometimes players just need to take responsibility and shoot, and IMO a key part of Heart's turnaround has been players shooting more, and Ramsay got his just rewards with that deflected goal against Newcastle (just as Wielaert and Williams deservedly got those outside of the box goals against the Nix'), so Kudos to him.

Edited by Murfy1

Am i the only one who finds this bloke a bit greedy? As soon as he gets near the goals always wants to shoot first, i remember in the derby he had a couple of opportunities to set players up and instead he blazes away. Needs to become more selfless

I understand what your saying, but at the same time it's not that bad to have a player that really wants the ball for himself either.

I know some won't agree, but IMO Ramsay is pretty good and improving all the time. He has good positional sense, and combines well with his full-back. He's also prepared to take players on, which is a sign of confidence and has blistering pace. Also takes a pretty good free-kick. Yes, he appears greedy at times, and people have also criticised him for crossing too square. But overall I reckon he's well worth his place in the side - we have him for another season anyway.

• Like 4

The first goal against Victory had it all for me - Engelaar, Ramsay, Williams, Engelaar, NET. Great teamwork, speed, positioning, vision and a goal. And Ramsay was part of it. Ramsay continues to improve under the tutelage of JVS, his confidence grows and so I am expecting Ramsay to be part of the finals series.

• 3 weeks later...

Do you think we have any chance of either:

1. Moving Ramsay on
  2. Having him actually play somewhere near his potential?

He has been so disappointing this year.  I was delighted when he signed him but have not been impressed by the reality of poor positioning, bad options and terrible shooting. 

• Like 2

1. Moving Ramsay on

He has been so disappointing this year.  I was delighted when he signed him but have not been impressed by the reality of poor positioning, bad options and terrible shooting. 

Can't see the club moving Ramsay on unless another club comes a knocking for his services, and Ramsay is willing to go. The matter of paying his contract out would impact on the salary cap. Now, personally, I think that he is a much improved player under JVS but if the general opinion is that he is not good enough then other clubs may have the same opinion and therefore won't come knocking.

Can he play to his potential? I certainly hope so! A good pre-season under JVS should help. My biggest fear is that he is too much of a confidence player, that is when he is feeling confident he plays well but as soon as his confidence dips he flounders and takes time to get back. I am not sure about poor positioning (and yes I am aware that there are plenty of those but there are also plenty of good positioning), ditto for options. Definitely agree with the poor shooting. One thing I have noticed with the A-League as compared to the European leagues is that far too many players can't kick with either foot, effectively one legged players. So I feel that Ramsay's problem is that unless the ball is in the right position for his good leg to kick, he'll botch the kick.

1. Moving Ramsay on

Can't see the club moving Ramsay on unless another club comes a knocking for his services, and Ramsay is willing to go. The matter of paying his contract out would impact on the salary cap. Now, personally, I think that he is a much improved player under JVS but if the general opinion is that he is not good enough then other clubs may have the same opinion and therefore won't come knocking.

Can he play to his potential? I certainly hope so! A good pre-season under JVS should help. My biggest fear is that he is too much of a confidence player, that is when he is feeling confident he plays well but as soon as his confidence dips he flounders and takes time to get back. I am not sure about poor positioning (and yes I am aware that there are plenty of those but there are also plenty of good positioning), ditto for options. Definitely agree with the poor shooting. One thing I have noticed with the A-League as compared to the European leagues is that far too many players can't kick with either foot, effectively one legged players. So I feel that Ramsay's problem is that unless the ball is in the right position for his good leg to kick, he'll botch the kick.

Well I guess the thing that got me about poor positioning was all those offsides when we were desperately chasing the game against Wellington.  Agree though he's not always in the wrong spot.  With his options though I've seen him lay the ball off when really he needed shoot, but in another game shoot from a ridiculous angle, instead of cutting it back. 

Interesting point you make about one footed players.  I can't "# believe" the numbers of players we have who seem to have only 1 foot! "Oh the ball's on my wrong foot, I'll move it over then beat the 4 defenders who turned up", rather than have a shot on the other foot!   What was their junior coaches doing?

1. Moving Ramsay on

Well I guess the thing that got me about poor positioning was all those offsides when we were desperately chasing the game against Wellington.  Agree though he's not always in the wrong spot.  With his options though I've seen him lay the ball off when really he needed shoot, but in another game shoot from a ridiculous angle, instead of cutting it back. 

Interesting point you make about one footed players.  I can't "# believe" the numbers of players we have who seem to have only 1 foot! "Oh the ball's on my wrong foot, I'll move it over then beat the 4 defenders who turned up", rather than have a shot on the other foot!   What was their junior coaches doing?

Ramsay was trying to beat the line for many of those offside against WP. And IMHO (and my brothers) two of those calls by the ref were wrong, of course we were at the ground so perhaps on replay the ref may have been right but I felt that at least two of those he was onside. Players that try to  break the line always run the risk of being called offside.

As for players with one foot, I am not sure whether its an innate thing or something that can be trained to avoid but I noticed the same thing with AFL players (Lucas for Essendon was a classic). What ever the case the pre-season should include a hefty dose of kicking with the wrong foot.

IMHO too much anti-Ramsay sentiment on here. If you want to go through each of our players and critically assess their attributes and performances you will find plenty if not all of them have been found wanting. All of our forwards except Williams have had meagre returns for their efforts, and it's no surprise that three have already been released. IMO Ramsay does offer something a little bit different - he has a few tricks and he is prepared to try and beat a man. I doubt that he's on big coin, and as such IMO he's OK.

We have him for another season anyway. We have shown since JvS took over that we can get results. The challenge is now to get consistent results, and not be red-hot one week and a shambles the next. IMO Ramsay can play his part.

• Like 2

IMHO too much anti-Ramsay sentiment on here. If you want to go through each of our players and critically assess their attributes and performances you will find plenty if not all of them have been found wanting. All of our forwards except Williams have had meagre returns for their efforts, and it's no surprise that three have already been released. IMO Ramsay does offer something a little bit different - he has a few tricks and he is prepared to try and beat a man. I doubt that he's on big coin, and as such IMO he's OK.

We have him for another season anyway. We have shown since JvS took over that we can get results. The challenge is now to get consistent results, and not be red-hot one week and a shambles the next. IMO Ramsay can play his part.

Agree. Ramsay is also a top provider of assists, who either has the most or 2nd most assists, I'm pretty sure. That's a primary task of a winger or wide player. It would be helpful if he chipped in more goals, something that's also true of Dugandzic, Kewell and Heart midfielders, but Ramsay does add value, regardless.

Next season will be really interesting, because I'm also of the opinion that Heart have many confidence players, who play well if the team is playing well, but don't play well if the team is playing poorly, and who unfortunately aren't players who are game-changers, that is they won't play well and change the game when the team is playing poorly. IMO Ramsay, Williams, Dugandzic, Hoffman, Behich and probably Heart's young players have all fitted into this category this season.

Next season I expect the team to play well fairly consistently, so I can imagine many of Heart's confidence players really lifting and playing well in that positive environment. So I'm of the opinion that Ramsay and a number of other Heart players could look like totally different and better players, if they are in a stable and successful team. Now it's just a question of whether Ramsay and other players will get the chance to play in this team.

• Like 1

Well that's the thing, if seniors get games and keep making mistakes, what's stopping JVS from playing a youth there who would make the same mistakes, yet have a greater chance in improving?

Sure things were a disaster with JA, but you should still look at the bigger picture, especially in these circumstances.

Either our youth just aren't good enough, Ramsey has a lot more to show, or I am a bit dissapointed tbh.

Professional sports people subject themselves too perhaps the greatest scrutiny of all jobs. There are thousands watching their every move from every angle possible. And today their every mistake or success is recorded for posterity (I believe that you can also watch bloopers of Cristiano Ronaldo). So yes it is easy to slag a player. And as I have said, if the players were flawless then they would be playing in Europe.

So I am happy to watch the local product knowing full well that they can make mistakes. But the glorious bits are worth waiting for. As I've said elsewhere I like Ramsay and know that he can improve.

• Like 1

We have him for another season anyway. We have shown since JvS took over that we can get results. The challenge is now to get consistent results, and not be red-hot one week and a shambles the next. IMO Ramsay can play his part.

Agree. Ramsay is also a top provider of assistsOh wow, 4 assists in 23 matches, let's all bow down to this great Lord.

While we're at it, let's acknowledge his 1 goal from 37 strikes...

Edited by LR9
  • Like 1

I like Ramsay. 

He can be wasteful, he is frustrating and he certainly isn't polished, but he is not the liability that many make him out to be. 

He is actually dangerous when used well on the wing, he does look to attack when he gets the ball, he is actually good from set pieces in an assisting role (crosses and the like, how many times have we seen guys like Dugandzic hit freekicks and crosses into the first defender in the past). 

He is a confidence player, and his finishing, like almost all of our players, leaves a lot to be desired. I think part of the reason his stats are not flattering is because he was one of Aloisi's chosen XI, and like many of that 11 struggled to justify his spot and find form. Since the return of JVS he has been very dangerous at times, and his poor goals to shots ratio can be somewhat attributed to him playing off a wing where many of his shots are from outside the box and are thus blocked or saved. I can only remember two major chances he has blown, that header and the opening shot against Brisbane first time round. 

He is not a world beater, but he is not a hack. If you are expecting well rounded players the A-League is not the league you should be following, and Ramsay is good enough to be in the best 15 players at an A-League club. 

• Like 1

Ramsay = King of the spuds. The fucker can't cross.

He is like a slow, skill-less Walcott. I really don't understand the point of him 

And he looks so fucking clueless when he fucks up. Has a look on his face that says "huh, what happened there? usually it works for me. Oh well better jog slowly back to my own half and pretend to get back possession" 

Fucking spud

• Like 1

I didn't even realise that he was paying until he was subbed off. I agree with all the above comments, particularly his inability to cross accurately, although this seems to be a universal issue for our players. JA originally signed him to be the new Aziz at LB, I'd like to see him played there over Garruccio who offers a lot more in attack, at least he'd get less offsides.

• 5 months later...