Melbourne Football

Jonatan Germano

Red or Dead

Pretty sure he was captain against Adelaide last weekend...

That's correct. But that match would not be defined as "competitive" but in any case he was (as for Edgeworth) a registered injury-replacement for James Brown.

My point is that you can't play unregistered players in a competitive match, and by "competitive" I mean A-League and FFA Cup. In S1 Peter Zois was our reserve goalkeeper, as well as being our goalkeeping coach, but he had to be registered with Heart as a player and counted towards the cap.

TBH I'm not sure of the status of "triallists." They do play in recognised FFA pre-season matches, but I'm not sure whether they are required to be temporarily registered or not. I would think they would have to be covered by insurance though. Interesting point.

That's correct. But that match would not be defined as "competitive" but in any case he was (as for Edgeworth) a registered injury-replacement for James Brown.

My point is that you can't play unregistered players in a competitive match, and by "competitive" I mean A-League and FFA Cup. In S1 Peter Zois was our reserve goalkeeper, as well as being our goalkeeping coach, but he had to be registered with Heart as a player and counted towards the cap.

TBH I'm not sure of the status of "triallists." They do play in recognised FFA pre-season matches, but I'm not sure whether they are required to be temporarily registered or not. I would think they would have to be covered by insurance though. Interesting point.

Trialists are generally unregistered and therefore can't play competitive matches.

I'll give the club the benefit of the doubt with regards to Germano in the hope that they'll re-sign him as soon as his citizenship is officially processed but if we've released him for good so we could bring in a player we hardly needed, I'm gonna be pissed.

• Like 4

Totally agree.

From what I've been reading,  you only need to if lived for 4 years in Australia to apply for citizenship.If that's the case,  he has been here since July 2011 and qualifies.

Im hoping that's the case cause otherwise,  why would the club keep him around knowing full well they had Sorensen in the bag

Totally agree.

From what I've been reading,  you only need to if lived for 4 years in Australia to apply for citizenship.If that's the case,  he has been here since July 2011 and qualifies.

Im hoping that's the case cause otherwise,  why would the club keep him around knowing full well they had Sorensen in the bag

Yes, that's my reading of it too - four years here on the appropriate visa and you can apply. But we get back to the same old question, is there any evidence that he actually wants citizenship or permanent residence status?

I just wish the club would actually clarify the situation. Are we supposed to find out by osmosis? Have they learned nothing from the David Villa affair?

bit weird to string him along for the start of pre season and then just fuck him off
maybe someone like newcastle will pick him up

Well everyone on here knew he wasn't getting a spot, so I'd say it wasn't lost on him either.  Now why he wasn't going on trial or something elsewhere i don't know.

TBH I assumed, seeing as he was hanging around, we'd offered him a job on staff, with the promise of going into the team whenever we had a foreign injury.

These are the tough decisions that the heart franchise failed to make when constructing their lists.

I wish him nothing but good look for his future endeavours but when you just can't get on the park it doesn't matter how good you are, you need to be moved on. Lets hope a suitable replacement can be acquired 

• Like 5

At the end of last season there was talk that City would be "ruthless". Well ruthless is not moving on a train wreck like Redmayne or a journeyman like Hoffman, it's cutting a bloke like Germano, who promises a lot but can't get through a pre-season and can't stay on the paddock.

good luck Jonny loved your winning attitude, hope you can find a club somewhere.

• Like 6

At the end of last season there was talk that City would be "ruthless". Well ruthless is not moving on a train wreck like Redmayne or a journeyman like Hoffman, it's cutting a bloke like Germano, who promises a lot but can't get through a pre-season and can't stay on the paddock.

good luck Jonny loved your winning attitude, hope you can find a club somewhere.

In fairness, we ended up moving all three on, despite Redmayne and Hoffman still having a year on their contracts. IMO JvS covers the JG exit fairly in his latest video interview http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/video/media---john-van-t-schip-1-9-15/1327524

will have a soft spot for the lad but the writing has been on the wall for a while.

wish him all the best and in many ways would love to see the guy find a way to get his Aussie citizenship 

but as others have posted, its good to see the club is willing to move players on.  something that the club needs to do that hasnt always been done in the past.

Just tweeted:

"First i want to say thanks to my beautiful family.she is the first person to support my self and Cry  with me This is it.. but is no the end, one day i will come back to my home... i want to wish all the best to the team and i will follow you. Thanks to the club for gave me this oportunity 4 years ago. i will never forget this in mylife. They supported me in the last 2 years. When my situation was no the best... they always supported me they always believed in me and gave everything to try to keep me in. Thanks a lot... about the FANS thanks for always appreciate my work, supported in my weakly time in the club i will never forget you guys. Never never in my life will forget this crowd. i feel  incredible i never see to many people cheering and saying all this beautiful - world about my person this is it but is not the end..always i will love you melbourne city thanks for everything you done!!!" #vamosshony

A quality tweet from a quality bloke. 

Gonna be missed big time.

Shame we couldn't find a way to keep him.  Seems as though he's had an injury free pre season so far. Was very good for ys at the end of last season when he struggled with injury. Can only imagine how he would of been with an injury free pre season.

Maybe we did him a solid and kept him on until he found a new club? So he doesn't get deported etc? Or so he could get his citizenship paperwork in?

Sounds like a plausible case. Give him enough game time to get noticed by other clubs, a proper pre season and string along as much time as possible so he can get more Aus time.

This bloke is one of the reasons I follow this club, and this code of football.

I'd always been into AFL and Rugby Union, but saw footage of his Santa Hat goal and celebration and figured it might be fun to head down to a Heart game.

Sad to see him go, but I understand the reasoning. Hope he does well wherever he ends up

• Like 5

A quality tweet from a quality bloke. 

Gonna be missed big time.

Shame we couldn't find a way to keep him.  Seems as though he's had an injury free pre season so far. Was very good for us at the end of last season when he struggled with injury. Can only imagine how he would of been with an injury free pre season.

This, such a shame his body let him down so often.

• Like 1