Melbourne vs Perth Friday 27th Nov 7:40pm AAMI Park

Baka1

City's issues being 'swept aside' - Gameiro

Ā 

Ā 

By Michael Huguenin

25 November 2015

Ā 

The ex-Sydney FC striker insists critics are ignoring Melbourne City's injury list and player turnover when assessing their form

Corey Gameiro has pleaded with Melbourne City fans to remain patient with the club as he is convinced "it's only going to get better".

City were one of the pre-season favourites for the 2015-16 A-League title but inconsistency has plagued John van 't Schip's side, with Gameiro just one in the squad working his way back from a long-term injury.

The 22-year-old forward told the Daily Football Show on Wednesday that City need their fans to "stay with us"; while he argued people have conveniently forgotten about the club's injury list and the player turnover since last season.

City have won just two of their opening seven games.

"With the transition that the club's gone through, with the eight or nine players that have come in, people don't understand [the impact]," Gameiro said.Ā 

"For example, I'll use [Ivan] Franjic; he hasn't really played with many players in the team, he hasn't involved in the starting XI build-up and what we're practicing and what we're doing. I've only been involved for three weeks. I've been on the sidelines watching us train.

"So the transition of the players coming in and learning the style... there's a lot of new faces and it's really been swept to the side and not really been taken into account."

Gameiro has been involved in City's past four matches, including a start in last week's 1-1 draw away to leaders Brisbane Roar.

The former Fulham youth player moved south from Sydney FC after last season, with Gameiro having impressed many with two goals and an assist in his opening five games for the Sky Blues in 2014-15 before he ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament.

While Gameiro is back playing, he insists he has yet to reach his best form.

"Coming back after being out for 12 months, it's taken a while for me to find my feet a little bit and I'm still nowhere near where I want to be, and nowhere near where I was [before the injury]," he said.

With Socceroos full-back Ivan Franjic only having made his league debut for City last week, plus Harry Novillo, Michael Zullo, Patrick Kisnorbo and Robbie Koren all at various stages of recovery, Gameiro is bullish about the title chances of Van 't Schip's team.

"Players need to be play together to understand each other... so when we're down the track... then things will start to flow," Gameiro said.

"We are 100 per cent confident that things are only going to get better for us when everyone's fully fit."

Ā 

http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/4021/a-league/2015/11/25/17684632/citys-issues-being-swept-aside-gameiro

Ā 

Ā 

Full interview in Video & Audio thread. Worth a listen.

Edited by Murfy1

lack of activity in this thread shows the dwindling enthusiasm for the club.. still not sure if I'm gonna attend, or just go get pissed with mates and watch the game on TV.Ā 

have not questioned whether I'd go in 5 years, but the whole experience of that WSW game was just atrocious and ruined a Friday night.Ā 

in saying that, I reckon we'll win 2-1

14 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Just recycled shit, anyway. Change the order of the sentences around and purportedly quote a different player. Gameiro, mate - do us a favour - we've heard all this for 5+ seasons now.

So we know that Cory, and your injury is not the same as the bullshit soft tissue injuries we are seeing for the rest of the players.Ā 

Points to consider then:

We are where we are because the players that are on the field are instructed to execute a game plan that they are not capable of executing, therefore the coach/ manager is not proficient at his role in the club. Any coach with a full list of quality players can achieve average to good results, but a quality coach can lead average players to average to good results. JVS is a substandard coach based on performance.

So the questionĀ aboutĀ why so many ST injuries? Ā Well the training facility was substandard, ground wasĀ too hard. This is ridiculous considering the sports science infrastructure we have. So again the team's inability to have a full team on the pitch is due to incompetence of those responsible for player health and fitness. Again the performance of the club is stifled by incompetence.

The reason why we are where we are is becauseĀ JVS and player management are incompetent........ i am sure that's what you were really trying to say Cory.

Ā 

55 minutes ago, MHFCRC said:

lack of activity in this thread shows the dwindling enthusiasm for the club.. still not sure if I'm gonna attend, or just go get pissed with mates and watch the game on TV.Ā 

have not questioned whether I'd go in 5 years, but the whole experience of that WSW game was just atrocious and ruined a Friday night.Ā 

in saying that, I reckon we'll win 2-1

This is one of those must win games for us. Its also a game where the style of the win is as important as the result, We must play attractive football and dominate Perth. Therefore we will lose this game 0-2.

1 minute ago, KSK_47 said:

If i do end up going, it wont be because of the football. It will be to watch the terrace bickering between people who want to chant, people who want to protest the leaks, people who want to protest JVS and people who for some reason end up in the active bay despite having no interest in being involved in active support

You're right, the real action this weekĀ will be in the terrace.Ā 

5 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

If i do end up going, it wont be because of the football. It will be to watch the terrace bickering between people who want to chant, people who want to protest the leaks, people who want to protest JVS and people who for some reason end up in the active bay despite having no interest in being involved in active support

Splitters

image.jpeg

• Like 6

Melbourne City FC: 1. Thomas SORENSEN (GK), 4. Connor CHAPMAN, 5. Ivan FRANJIC, 6. Erik PAARTALU, 7. Corey GAMEIRO, 8. Aaron MOOY, 9. Harry NOVILLO, 15. David WILLIAMS, 16. Jason TRIFIRO, 18. Paulo RETRE, 19. Ben GARUCCIO, 20. Tando VELAPHI (GK), 21. Stefan MAUK, 22. Jack CLISBY, 23. Bruno FORNAROLI, 25. Jacob MELLING, 30. Hernan ESPINDOLA, 36. Matt MILLER

Ins: 16. Jason TRIFIRO (promoted), 30. Hernan ESPINDOLA (promoted)

Outs: Nil

Unavailable: 3. Aaron HUGHES ( calf - 1 week), 10. Robert KOREN (calf - 2 weeks), 14. James BROWN (foot ā€“ indefinite), 24. Patrick KISNORBO (calf ā€“ 1 week)

Perth Glory squad: 1.Ante COVIC (gk), 3.Marc WARREN, 5.Antony GOLEC, 10.Nebojsa MARINKOVIC, 11.Richard GARCIA (c), 12.Jerrad TYSON (gk), 13.Diogo FERREIRA, 14.Chris HAROLD, 15.Hagi GLIGOR, 16.Sidnei SCIOLA, 17.Diego CASTRO, 18.Mitch OXBORROW, 23.Michael THWAITE, 24.Jamal REINERS, 25.Jacob COLLARD, 26.Stefan VALENTINI, 28.Joseph KNOWLES, 29.Aryn WILLIAMS

Ins: 5.Antony GOLEC (promoted), 25.Jacob COLLARD (promoted), 26.Stefan VALENTINI (promoted), 28.Joseph KNOWLES (promoted)

Outs: 2.Alex GRANT (thigh ā€“ 2 weeks), 19.Josh RISDON (thigh ā€“ 2 weeks)Ā 

Unavailable: 6.Dino DJULBIC (ankle ā€“ 5 weeks), 7.Gyorgy SANDOR (ankle ā€“ 1 week), Ā 8.Ruben ZADKOVICH (knee ā€“ indefinite), 20.Guyon FERNANDEZ (foot ā€“ 1 week)

2 hours ago, Tonyboozeadams said:

The Peoples Front of Judea

This.Ā 

Right well for reasons that my future psychologist will no doubt uncover I Ā am turning down a free pissup to attend.

Im pretty confident we'll lose 1-3 having conceded from 2Ā corners and after a long high ball.Ā 

As to what will transpire in the terrace, no doubt some will find it funny, but I expect it to be just plain sad, as will be the subsequent fallout.

Melbourne City only play to win says John vanā€™t Schip, brushing off ā€˜anti-footballā€™ jibe

Ā 

November 26, 2015

Matt Windley

Ā 

JOHN van't Schip says Melbourne City will do its talking on the field against Perth Glory after refusing to bite back at allegations his team played "anti-football" in Brisbane last week.

But the coach declared it is imperative that City's players do put their best foot forward on Friday night ā€” for the fans, he said ā€” after suffering back-to-back disappointments at AAMI Park in recent weeks.

City coughed up a two-goal lead to be humbled 3-2 by Newcastle in Round 4 before suffering consecutive home defeats for the first time since March-April 2014 after being trounced 3-0 by Western Sydney in Round 6.

"We are disappointed about the last games and we want to set that right," van't Schip said.

"The only way to do that is get a win against Perth. Everyone, looking at the training and the week, understands that.

"The performance in Brisbane was important, but again we have to show that we can back those things up and make sure that we can make a next step."

After the 1-1 draw against the Roar, former Heart coach John Aloisi slammed City for what he perceived to be negative tactics against his new side. Van't Schip said "I don't agree and that's the only thing that I can say" about the comments.

But when asked if his side would play a more attacking brand against Perth than it did last week, van't Schip defended his team's style, particularly in light of the fact that it continues to go without first-team regulars Robbie Koren, Michael Zullo, Patrick Kisnorbo and Aaron Hughes.

"We always try to do that," van't Schip said.

"Look at our games. Sydney away (in Round 1), I think we were there to try and win the game, even though we have all those problems with injuries.

"It's the way we want to play, even with players who are not first team starters normally we have that approach and it doesn't change.

"It does mean that sometimes, because the other team is maybe stronger, you have to defend and go back, but we always go out there to try and win the game and that means we want to have the ball and attack."

Socceroos right back Ivan Franjic, recovered from his quad injury, is likely to start tonight after coming on in the second half of what was his City debut last week.

Zullo (calf), despite playing in the youth team on Sunday, remains at least another week away, while the makeshift central defensive pair of Connor Chapman and Jacob Melling is set to be used again in the ongoing absence of Kisnorbo (calf) and Hughes (calf).

Ā 

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/teams/melbourne-city/melbourne-city-only-play-to-win-says-john-vant-schip-brushing-off-antifootball-jibe/news-story/8cb8771b35ca63b3e64c2dda6fda6f7d#load-story-comments

12 hours ago, Murfy1 said:

Melbourne City only play to win says John vanā€™t Schip, brushing off ā€˜anti-footballā€™ jibe

But when asked if his side would play a more attacking brand against Perth than it did last week, van't Schip defended his team's style, particularly in light of the fact that it continues to go without first-team regulars Robbie Koren, Michael Zullo, Patrick Kisnorbo and Aaron Hughes.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/teams/melbourne-city/melbourne-city-only-play-to-win-says-john-vant-schip-brushing-off-antifootball-jibe/news-story/8cb8771b35ca63b3e64c2dda6fda6f7d#load-story-comments

First-team regulars Koren, Zullo and Hughes?
First -team regular absentees more like.

• Like 1