Melbourne Football

David Williams

sharpy

Well, release Willo and bring in Taggart. Willo has reached his potential and JVS has probably got all that we'll see out him. He has some key footballing faults and that's why he didn't hang around in Euro. He is what he is and that's pretty much what you'll get. Taggart is still a work in progress and he's pretty bloody good with a great strike that doesn't often end up in row Z. Another goal from him today.

Can't see him staying.

I think he's a good striker at this level and is proving that with his goal-tally, but even though we can't afford to have perfection in every position (given the salary cap) I think for what he'll be asking the ownership/coaching staff will see him as expendable.

He'll be chasing big money and he'll likely get it from the Roar.

People need to remember when assessing his performance, that he is our aussie marquee and should come under a lot more scrutiny than an ian ramsay for instance. He's stealing paychecks IMO

I thought that was just a nominal thing, that he was our highest paid Aussie (and it may only have been very slightly more than some of the other core Aussies in the lineup), so he got the nominal 'marquee' tag, wasn't it? I don't think it's that ridiculous that he's our highest paid local, when we consider that Kewell is playing for peanuts. Without knowing exactly how much more he is on than guys like Kisnorbo and Murdocca and whether we'd have still the coin to add a better Australian marquee and keep Williams (on a similar salary to what he's on now), within the cap, it's tough make a definitive 'yes' or 'no' call on him for next year, in my opinion. I'm happy for him to stay on, if we can manage it and get another marquee, but if he's looking for a significant payrise and it will cost us another first XI player's signature, I'd wish him all the best with his next club.

• Like 1

AFAIK Williams is not a marquee player under the definition, that is he is not paid even partially over the salary cap.

He may be our highest-paid Australian player, but that does not make him a marquee. The media continue to get this wrong; I suspect deliberately.

Can't see him staying.

I think he's a good striker at this level and is proving that with his goal-tally, but even though we can't afford to have perfection in every position (given the salary cap) I think for what he'll be asking the ownership/coaching staff will see him as expendable.

He'll be chasing big money and he'll likely get it from the Roar.

Roar don't have much room to move under the cap, hence Berisha moving to the tards. Theo, Franjic, North, Smith, Miller, Brattan, Steff and Henrique are all under the cap. Earlier in the season they were looking at a journeyman Brit playing in the Qld Prem League as they had no room for anyone on more than minimum wage.

Unless Brattan or Franjic move abroad I can't see them having room for Willo.

I would like to think that Williams would be appreciative of Heart, given that he's risen to be the A-League's equal top scorer with 6 rounds to go at this club, but rumours about him wanting away earlier this season cast some doubt on that.

Also, Wiliams should be happy with Heart as he's ended up on a pretty good deal at the club, being our Australian marquee this season (which seems to be a fact. It's been reported multiple times by Davutovic and others), and he's rumoured to get a lot of money (350k). Williams is clearly not a marquee in name/reputuation, nonetheless I think he's got the Aussie marquee spot for accounting purposes (also perhaps that's why we couldn't re-sign Garcia, because we would have needed the Aus Marquee spot to pay him what he wanted). I'm still perplexed that he ended up on such a good deal at Heart, especially given his first 2 seasons here.

But IMO Williams needs Heart at least as much, if not more, than Heart need him.

Williams is something of a journeyman, spending 5 years with little to show for it in Denmark with Brondby, before going to North Queensland fury, where he got a mediocre 3 goals across 21 appearances (1320 mins) in his first season and 5 goals across 23 games (2309 mins) in his second season. He was then loaned to Sydney FC for their ACL campaign and he only made 4 appearances, and clearly didn't impress enough for Sydney to want to sign him permanently.

And apart from the fact that Williams is something of a 26 year old journeyman, he clearly IMO needs time to settle at a club before he can produce good performances, as seen by his time at NQF and Heart. So if Williams were to leave Heart at the end of the season, I doubt he'd hit the ground running at his new club, and he'd fritter away the pretty good situation he's established at Heart, where he's now doing well and he could most likely only play at his best by building on his success here.

Also, for my money, if Williams goes to Brisbane he really wouldn't fit in there, with their possession and passing football. He is actually only now starting to show he can be decent on the ball under JVS, with Williams occasionally participating in neat passing moves (often Williams drops into centre midfield, where Murdocca or Germano or Engelaar pass to Williams, and then Williams quickly passes to release Dugandzic or Ramsay down one of the flanks). I really don't think Mulvey would have the same patience with Williams, and IMO at Brisbane it would be like Williams' first season here, where JVS seemed to think that Williams' didn't fit in to his system, so he routinely left Williams' out of the team.

IMO, for next season, I wouldn't mind Williams remaining at the club, as he's shown he can deliver goals (I haven't been overly impressed with his finishing, but I can't write-off his goal tally). But I'd like Williams to be our second choice striker, ideally behind an international marquee striker (who I think he could learn a lot off and improve alongside). Maybe Williams could play next to a new striker in a front 2. So I'd like us to keep Williams, but he needs Heart more than Heart need him, so if Heart re-sign him I'd like him to be on lesser wages (comparable to Dugandzic and Ramsay) rather than be on the good terms he seems to have now.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

Heard him after the game tell a 60 odd year old lady who claimed to know his parents that he would either stay at heart or go overseas and that he wasnt seeking another a league club

Lol, the only overseas clubs who will take him aren't going to be ones who will further his career. 

Also, Wiliams should be happy with Heart as he's ended up on a pretty good deal at the club, being our Australian marquee this season (which seems to be a fact. It's been reported multiple times by Davutovic and others), and he's rumoured to get a lot of money (350k). Williams is clearly not a marquee in name/reputuation, nonetheless I think he's got the Aussie marquee spot for accounting purposes (also perhaps that's why we couldn't re-sign Garcia, because we would have needed the Aus Marquee spot to pay him what he wanted). I'm still perplexed that he ended up on such a good deal at Heart, especially given his first 2 seasons here.

I'm pretty sure he signed a 3 year deal originally, so it's not based on his first 2 seasons. It was a good deal because he was in demand at the time and I think a few clubs were after his signature. He was a promising 23 y.o, and seen as one of the few bright spots in an ordinary NQF side. He also had Australian representative appearances at some level, cant remember which.

I'm pretty sure he signed a 3 year deal originally, so it's not based on his first 2 seasons. It was a good deal because he was in demand at the time and I think a few clubs were after his signature. He was a promising 23 y.o, and seen as one of the few bright spots in an ordinary NQF side. He also had Australian representative appearances at some level, cant remember which.

I think we got him with an eye to sell him on. Hence the 3 year deal

• 3 weeks later...

well he definitely wont be on the "marquee" wages

A good squad player, as impact of the bench , but never a marquee

the most telling news in the article was the official news of:

Meanwhile, Melbourne Heart FC has released striker Michael Mifsud to allow him to return home to Malta with his family.

To those folks complaining about the signing, what are we meant to do at this point in time?

We're currently only allowed 5 overseas players and the low salary cap puts an end to signing most of the best Aussie players, including those with other A League clubs.

Surely you saw how the shit salary cap works - Brisbane Roar wanted to keep Berisha, had the money to keep Berisha, and went to FFA complaining about the situation caused by this shit low salary cap and were

effectively told to piss off and sign all their players under the FFA's current Mickey Mouse restrictions.

I just hope David Williams has been signed within the salary cap.

I'll be more than pissed off if he's been signed again as our Australian marquee.

We should be aiming for a quality, regular starting 11 Socceroo at the peak of his game.

I think we got him with an eye to sell him on. Hence the 3 year deal

Why would we care about selling him? We have one of the richest club owners in the world! I like to think were not a selling club anymore considering this

"Why would we care about selling him? We have one of the richest club owners in the world! I like to think were not a selling club anymore considering this."

My comment:

That would be the case if there was no pathetically low salary cap in place.

But with a pathetically low salary cap in place it becomes impossible to keep the players you want to keep, especially if they improve and want a world market football salary based on their talent and not $50k or $75k or $100k or $125k a year because of our low salary cap.

Unfortunately too many Administrators are used to Aussie Rules football where there is no professional competition from anywhere else in the world, unlike our international game of football.

We can see this in the latest decree that will weaken the quality of our competition - out of nowhere comes the surprise decree telling clubs they will just be allowed 4 overseas players from 2015-2016.

Edited by Parrot
  • Like 2

Depending on the wage, it's probably a worthwhile signing.  Can be a very dangerous player in this league.  Putting the pronunciation of his name in the article seems a bit bizarre..

This is the problem i have with Williams.

We see glimpses of what he can do, his hatrick against Wellington, and even that goal against Perth and we say to our selves 'Wow, what an amazing player, imagine if he could do that consistently!'

But he never is consistent and never will be. His whole game is just a flash in the pan. Add to that he can't shoot from further than 5 yards out, has terrible touch on the ball and can't cross a ball to save his life and you are looking at a guy we are going to regret signing coming down the track. He's what, 26/27? he's not getting any younger, how much more improvement do people honestly think he has?

Would've rather let him go to another club to try and unlock his 'true potential'. Lets just hope he starts on the bench for most games. 

• Like 2

Depending on the wage, it's probably a worthwhile signing.  Can be a very dangerous player in this league.  Putting the pronunciation of his name in the article seems a bit bizarre..

This is the problem i have with Williams.

We see glimpses of what he can do, his hatrick against Wellington, and even that goal against Perth and we say to our selves 'Wow, what an amazing player, imagine if he could do that consistently!'

But he never is consistent and never will be. His whole game is just a flash in the pan. Add to that he can't shoot from further than 5 yards out, has terrible touch on the ball and can't cross a ball to save his life and you are looking at a guy we are going to regret signing coming down the track. He's what, 26/27? he's not getting any younger, how much more improvement do people honestly think he has?

Would've rather let him go to another club to try and unlock his 'true potential'. Lets just hope he starts on the bench for most games. 

Really no player is perfect and if Williams was more consistent he'd probably be overseas or demanding Berisha like wages to stay. 

Taking the salary cap, less VISA spots and 23-man squad aspects into consideration, retaining Willo is a great move PROVIDING he isn't our Australian marquee. 

He's proven he's a capable player and while he definitely has his frustrating moments, he's proven this season that he is capable of doing some damage and will be a handy asset for us for the following seasons. 

I daresay as well that he's probably taken a paycut in order to be a part of a legacy and experience team success which then presents opportunities such as national team selection, offers from bigger Euro clubs etc. 

• Like 1

"Why would we care about selling him? We have one of the richest club owners in the world! I like to think were not a selling club anymore considering this."

My comment:

That would be the case if there was no pathetically low salary cap in place.

But with a pathetically low salary cap in place it becomes impossible to keep the players you want to keep, especially if they improve and want a world market football salary based on their talent and not $50k or $75k or $100k or $125k a year because of our low salary cap.

Unfortunately too many Administrators are used to Aussie Rules football where there is no professional competition from anywhere else in the world, unlike our international game of football.

We can see this in the latest decree that will weaken the quality of our competition - out of nowhere comes the surprise decree telling clubs they will just be allowed 4 overseas players from 2015-2016.

This so much.

There is a dearth of local talent thats even worth the minimum wage.  

Germano is on minimum wage, and he's better than pretty much anyone else on the minimum wage (Harry is a special case).  

In the last 5 years, the Johnny Warren medalist has been an overseas player.

Its all the PFA's doing-always sticking their hands out.