Melbourne Football

Jamie Maclaren

TheStig

The guy has built a new house in Melbourne, gotten married and has a newborn. I don't think he is going anywhere to be honest and I hope he doesn't! But going by this article and Vidmar's response it's the kind of response you'd expect if there is any truth to it 🙃

https://keepup.com.au/news/a-league-transfer-news-jamie-maclaren-melb-city-fagiano-j2-league-japan/

4 minutes ago, rayv36 said:

Did Jmac bang your missus or something?

Is the greatest Aleague goal scorer ever not good enough for you?

You asked what we would be missing and I answered. We will be missing goals and turnovers in open play.

Some are stuck in statistics others look at the game holistically.

Nothing to do with my wife.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.ftbl.com.au/news/macca-motza-multiple-clubs-chasing-melbourne-city-goal-king-603879

MACCA MOTZA: MULTIPLE CLUBS CHASING MELBOURNE CITY GOAL KING

The future of A-League goal great Jamie Maclaren hangs in the balance beyond this season, with interest in the Melbourne City marksman from Japan, China, the Middle East and MLS.
City, the club he has graced for five years, are also keen to re-sign the 30-year-old predator - leaving Maclaren with plenty to ponder as his current contract nears expiration.

Considered by many unfortunate to miss out on selection for this month’s Asian Cup, the omission of the 32-cap Socceroo has done little to stifle enquiries over his willingness to try his hand abroad again after previous spells with Hibernian in Scotland and Darmstadt in Germany.
With his contract up in June, Maclaren is free to talk to interested parties, both home and abroad, as he mulls the next crucial career step.

The scorer of 151 A-League goals - and counting - since bursting into the scene with Perth Glory and then Brisbane - Maclaren has been linked with J2 League side Fagiano Okayama – the former home of Australian pair Mitch Duke and Stefan Mauk in Japan’s second tier - and at least three J1 outfits are thought to be in the mix.

It will ultimately come down to Maclaren’s preference to potentially uproot his family for another overseas odyssey or remain in Australia, where he has already surpassed previous A-League goal cunt Besart Berisha and chase down the all-time professional record of 240 goals from 447 matches set by Damian Mori across spells in both the NSL and A-League.

At the age of 30, he’s within striking distance of the former Socceroo, assuming he stays injury free in the five or so seasons he might have left at the top domestic level.

The contracts on offer range from two to four years - leaving Maclaren, who has articulated his desire to eclipse Mori’s mark - spoiled for choice. 

He is a five time A-League Golden Boot winner - top scorer in the A-League in the 2016–17 (19 goals), 2019–20 (22 goals), 2020–21 (25 goals) and 2021–22 (15 goals), 2022–23 (24 goals). 

His tally so far this season is seven in 11 appearances for fourth placed City.

Smoke-fire?

It's always sad to contemplate the potential move of someone like JMac, who has always struck me as an honest and hard-working servant of his various clubs and Australia. But in the end he must do what he assesses is best for himself and now his family.

Let's not forget that it's a team game. The players around him have changed, as well as perhaps he himself has become more predictable and lost a little bit of confidence (e.g. with penalties).

I personally feel that we need a different style of no. 9, but I'll wait to see what happens.

32 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Smoke-fire?

It's always sad to contemplate the potential move of someone like JMac, who has always struck me as an honest and hard-working servant of his various clubs and Australia. But in the end he must do what he assesses is best for himself and now his family.

Let's not forget that it's a team game. The players around him have changed, as well as perhaps he himself has become more predictable and lost a little bit of confidence (e.g. with penalties).

I personally feel that we need a different style of no. 9, but I'll wait to see what happens.

It seems od for these 'rumours' to be coming out of nowhere...if it's true that we are offering him less money then I don't blame him going after a late career pay day!

He owes us nothing more and has been a great player and role model at City!

As the saying goes "all good things come to an end" and one day we eventually have to find a replacement for Jmac...

• Like 2

Aurelio Vidmar on Jamie Maclaren speculation : 

Vidmar said that matters of player contracts and incoming players were the realm of director of football Michael Petrillo and football operations manager Pedj Radinovic. 

“To be frank, the policy within the club is not to discuss any player's contracts and I think that's been here since day one,” he said. “So that's not going to change. Whatever it is within the club, they need to sort it out. 

“We know the player that Jamie is and he's been a great player for the club. And obviously, we'd love to keep him here. In the end, they've got to decide what's in the best interest of both parties. So that's out of my hands, that's out of my control. Let's see where that goes.”

8 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I don't know what others think but I always get the impression that our Head Coach doesn't get a great say in the players that are going to be under his control. Doesn't seem particularly ideal to me.

I think that would be the case for all clubs TBH. I think they get some input but ultimately the decision is with the bean counters. And this would be the case in most leagues. Also, Vidmar is interim coach.

16 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I don't know what others think but I always get the impression that our Head Coach doesn't get a great say in the players that are going to be under his control. Doesn't seem particularly ideal to me.

7 hours ago, NewConvert said:

I think that would be the case for all clubs TBH. I think they get some input but ultimately the decision is with the bean counters. And this would be the case in most leagues. Also, Vidmar is interim coach.

the difference for me between good managers and great managers is their ability to get the best out of their players irrespective of style.  good managers tend to be stubborn and struggle to change things up - even when it's in the best interest of the squad.

the other thing to remember is that one of our great advantages in the aleague is our scouting network.  that includes our ability to bring the best young Aussie talent through as our youth academy should be a massive draw card for all young Aussie hopefuls. 

so while players may have bad games or poor stretches of form, the manager needs to be able to work with the players they are given.

of course, the club shoudlnt just blindly sign players without thinking of the strengths, weaknesses and philosophy of it's coaching staff either. it'd be like asking a classically trained violinist to choreograph a 3 min dance performance for a rap video clip.

2 hours ago, mattyh001 said:

the difference for me between good managers and great managers is their ability to get the best out of their players irrespective of style.  good managers tend to be stubborn and struggle to change things up - even when it's in the best interest of the squad.

the other thing to remember is that one of our great advantages in the aleague is our scouting network.  that includes our ability to bring the best young Aussie talent through as our youth academy should be a massive draw card for all young Aussie hopefuls. 

so while players may have bad games or poor stretches of form, the manager needs to be able to work with the players they are given.

of course, the club shoudlnt just blindly sign players without thinking of the strengths, weaknesses and philosophy of it's coaching staff either. it'd be like asking a classically trained violinist to choreograph a 3 min dance performance for a rap video clip.

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...
53 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

I have it on pretty good authority that he's signed with Auckland fc next year on a big money deal.

This is probably why he has been checked out for most of this season.

R.i.p

If that's true it is rather disappointing. I guess if he does line-up for another A-League club his best is likely behind him now...

2 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

If that's true it is rather disappointing. I guess if he does line-up for another A-League club his best is likely behind him now...

This moment was always going to come, there was plenty of smoke. He’s out of contract. With our ambitions, we can’t keep aging marquee players who arguably don’t improve the team. 

Can’t blame him though, good money and Auckland is a nice place to live.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Mr MO said:

This moment was always going to come, there was plenty of smoke. He’s out of contract. With our ambitions, we can’t keep aging marquee players who arguably don’t improve the team. 

I think more or less all those coming out of contract need to go. It's been obvious this season that the club needs a complete rebuild instead of making stop-gap signings that we've seen recently. The rebuild needs to start with a new coach who can at least have input into the sort of players that he would prefer, even if he doesn't make the final decisions.

10 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Yeah you make a couple of good points there particularly his lack of input this season, is simply not good enough for a marquee player!

He really owes us nothing and if he is to go to Auckland he will depart as a club legend! 

32 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I think more or less all those coming out of contract need to go. It's been obvious this season that the club needs a complete rebuild instead of making stop-gap signings that we've seen recently. The rebuild needs to start with a new coach who can at least have input into the sort of players that he would prefer, even if he doesn't make the final decisions.

I don't think I'd cut all the players coming out of contract to be fair. I agree on the coach comment. 

Do you think we should be getting a foreign coach in again? Or do we take a punt on a local like Dario Vidosic or Jamieson for example?

3 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

I don't think I'd cut all the players coming out of contract to be fair. I agree on the coach comment. 

Do you think we should be getting a foreign coach in again? Or do we take a punt on a local like Dario Vidosic or Jamieson for example?

On the coaching position(s) - the coaching team has been unstable for quite a while. IMO we need to first appoint a coach who demonstrates an intention to play a particular style within the "City way" and then go from there with assistants and player recruitment.

I don't think where the coach comes from matters - it's the qualities he brings that do.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kingofhearts said:

Completely disrespectful to the fans considering he's moving.  What a dipshit.

Or is he trying to make a point not to believe the rumours of him moving on? He has debunked these in the past.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

Well this forum has never had a rumour disproved so who knows.

I still think that Caputo ought to play alongside him as a tall target.

Unfortunately Vidmar hasn't got the balls to make a change like that. Caputo is lucky to get on the pitch, let alone play alongside JMac.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewConvert said:

Well this forum has never had a rumour disproved so who knows.

I still think that Caputo ought to play alongside him as a tall target.

From what I've been able to understand from my source him and vidmar have had quite the falling out which has lead him being more keen to leave then stay.

Auckland have also been throwing around absurd amount of money around,  trying to get a marquee man. They were keen on leckie but he said no right away

The club is also not willing to offer him a big money deal so in order to set his family up he's taken one last big pay day. 

Regardless of what he posts on social media he has made it quite clear to those in the known that he is not happy with melbourne city currently. 

There are always twists and turns, and things can change at the drop of a hat.  Howeve, I would be more surprised then not if he stayed from what I've heard.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kingofhearts said:

From what I've been able to understand from my source him and vidmar have had quite the falling out which has lead him being more keen to leave then stay.

Auckland have also been throwing around absurd amount of money around,  trying to get a marquee man. They were keen on leckie but he said no right away

The club is also not willing to offer him a big money deal so in order to set his family up he's taken one last big pay day. 

Regardless of what he posts on social media he has made it quite clear to those in the known that he is not happy with melbourne city currently. 

There are always twists and turns, and things can change at the drop of a hat.  Howeve, I would be more surprised then not if he stayed from what I've heard.

Do you think the unhappiness stems from that the club is not willing to extend his contract on the same marquee terms? Or is it more football related?