Melbourne Football

City Vs Roar, Sat 11/2 - 7.50pm - AAMI

neio

Just now, Deluka said:

How good does Crowley look? No wonder he's such a threat in the NYL. 

What an effort from every single one of them, Kamau, Kilkenny and Tongyik the standouts for me while Sorensen had some vital interventions

Four goals scored, only one legitimate - quintessential A-league refereeing!

And Caceras

• Like 1

OK hands up anyone that believes that Bouzanis should start when he's back from suspension.

Anyone?? Come on don't be shy. Anyone?

No?

Good.

Positives:

Performed well against 12 men

First second half we've won since Round 1

Good intensity tonight and good performance from the young kids

Loved the Aloisi chants and the Crowley chant

Negatives:

Not one shot on target in the first half, not good enough no matter what the circumstances

Countless balls into the box when nobody is making a run - waste, and no players running in on the far post

Too many short passes in midfield into congested areas, it puts players under needless pressure and results in needless turnovers and slow ball speed

Maclaren must have been wearing Harry Potter's invisibility cloak as far as our backs were concerned. His runs were repeatedly untracked.

Failed to finish off Roar in the last 10 minutes when we were dominant.

Except for the refereeing I haven't enjoyed a match as much all season. Great to see we forgot about playing the ball backwards. Sorensen's presence at the back was great and all players played a fabulous game - except for Rose who again made too many mistakes and should have been subbed.

First time for weeks I have felt proud to stand up for the "if you love City stand up" chant.

I was hesitant to go tonight and the ref quickly made me regret attending. But I am happy - they came out with intensity but I have no doubts on my mind that poor refereeing let the air down. Come the second half they came out with intensity and fire and scored twice. Then the whole game went flat including the crowd. And yes the team stood up in the best way possible by showing skills. I'm glad that Kamau scored but I am happier because he was finally given/took the freedom to go into goals and attempt to score. Kilkenny and Tongyk even with the mistakes they made finally started taking the game on. They should have scored twice more and I am sure that Kamau was fouled in the box but that gets back to refereeing. Now there are two tests for the club: does Valkanis keep Caceres in the starting line up, allow Kamau/Fitzgerald more freedom, does Brattan deserve a bench spot, what will he do with Malik? The second test is whether Valkanis will stick to the slow possession game plan.

But I am happy - something that I haven't been for a while. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

OK hands up anyone that believes that Bouzanis should start when he's back from suspension.

Anyone?? Come on don't be shy. Anyone?

No?

Good.

I'm going to probably be alone here,  but sorenson didn't really do anything a keeper at a professional level shouldn't be doing. 

He made 4 saves and all of them were hit straight at him

I honestly don't really mind which one of him and Bouzanis starts,  they both have their strengths and weaknesses (most of sorenson weaknesses I believe are due to his mobility, but his reading of the play and anticipation is excellent) 

In 4 weeks time,  I may be leaning one way or another, but I think it's great that we have 2 keepers than can both easily start

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, neio said:

I'm going to probably be alone here,  but sorenson didn't really do anything a keeper at a professional level shouldn't be doing. 

I honestly don't really mind which one of him and Bouzanis starts,  they both have their strengths and weaknesses (most of sorenson weaknesses I believe are due to his mobility, but his reading of the play and anticipation is excellent) 

In 4 weeks time,  I may be leaning one way or another, but I think it's great that we have 2 keepers than can both easily start

Yep.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, neio said:

Yep very immobile, especially when he made up 5 metres in a blink of an eye and then he jumped 6 feet off the ground to take a specky with his knees on someone's face.

FFS , he dominated his area tonight.

He is the best keeper in the A-league.

17 minutes ago, mjake1234 said:

Edited by playmaker
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, mjake1234 said:

except for Rose who again made too many mistakes and should have been subbed.

Come on man. He dominated Borrello and owned the left side of the pitch with Fitzy.

Great game, great through balls to Fitzy and some good crosses into the box. Created many opportunities with quick direct deliveries.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, playmaker said:

Yep very immobile, especially made up 5 metres in a blink of an eye and then he jumped 6 feet off the ground to take a specky with his knees on someone's face.

FFS , he dominated his area tonight.

He is the best keeper in the A-league.

He was good tonight but not outstanding, the one handed claim was pretty good though

I'm not having a go at him,  as he was initially unlucky to lose his spot in team,  and the same thing will probably happen to Bouzanis 

I just think that Bouzanis is a pretty handy keeper and it's harshly criticized, the way some people talk on here you would think we're comparing redmayne to neuer.

But as I said,  it doesn't worry me at all which one plays

2 minutes ago, neio said:

He was good tonight but not outstanding, the one handed claim was pretty good though

I'm not having a go at him,  as he was initially unlucky to lose his spot in team,  and the same thing will probably happen to Bouzanis 

I just think that Bouzanis is a pretty handy keeper and it's harshly criticized, the way some people talk on here you would think we're comparing redmayne to neuer.

Bouzanis is not even in the same league, no comparison mate, sorry.

And to tell you the truth this distribution opinion is just bullshit, just another JVS fk up as with everything else he has done this season. TS is the best keeper in the A league

Edited by playmaker
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, neio said:

Wow so off this time Neio. Yes we are almost comparing Neuer to Redmaybe. Sorry can't disagree more, we would lost without him.  Dean had some decent games but have certainly dropped points along the way by not playing the best eleven (Sörensen had issues with JVS). 

So i had something on last night which i really didnt mind going to after recent results, i saw the score at the end and still didnt care to watch the game i recorded. Then ive just jumped on this thread to have a squiz at what people are saying about the game and i am shocked at a few comments, i reckon i'll be sitting down to watch it at some stage today instead of deleting it.

8 hours ago, playmaker said:

Come on man. He dominated Borrello and owned the left side of the pitch with Fitzy.

Great game, great through balls to Fitzy and some good crosses into the box. Created many opportunities with quick direct deliveries.

Agreed, Rose had a sound game.  Fitzy had a fabulous one.  And it was great to have Sorensen back.

18 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

On this showing, I'd be building our future around the best of these youngsters.  Bring in some talent and experience from outside, sure, but build on the talent and enthusiasm that's there already.  I'd rather watch that every week and finish mid-table than watch the bloodless dross we've too often had to put up with this season.

100% spot on

Couldn't agree more 

Cant remember last time I was so happy with a draw. Actually I think I preferred last night result over some of the 2:1 wins first team achieved vs lower placed teams.

These boys had no games together as a team yet their application and commitment on display was fantastic!!

A little less of so called quality but I'll take their effort in second half anytime over the boring, useless and gutless finish team A provides every week

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, HeartOfCity said:

So i had something on last night which i really didnt mind going to after recent results, i saw the score at the end and still didnt care to watch the game i recorded. Then ive just jumped on this thread to have a squiz at what people are saying about the game and i am shocked at a few comments, i reckon i'll be sitting down to watch it at some stage today instead of deleting it.

Def worth a watch. Probably fast forward tge first half. That was pretty much how i envisioned the whole game was going to be. The second half however- that was great

7 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Missed the game because of wedding. But so good to read the positive comments on here at last!

Just wait until next week, the "untouchables" will walk into the starting XI and we'll go back to our usual boring possession and side passing.

Edited by haz

29 minutes ago, haz said:

Just wait until next week, the "untouchables" will walk into the starting XI and we'll go back to our usual boring possession and side passing.

Imo Genreau and Pieras will retain their places in the squad. Bruno and Jakobsen are the only walk ups i reckon. We might end up (i hope) with something like:

Sorensen
Pieras            Tongyik             Jakobsen      Colazo
                                 Kilkenny
                      Brattan             Caceres
Fitzgerald                 Fornaroli                  Kamau

Subs : Genreau, Franjic, Malik, Sozer, Brandan

16 minutes ago, haz said:

Yes. We were told that in the post match interview. You must remember the philosophy, our style of play is number 1 priority, and the result is number 2 priority which opposite to what it should be.

Last night we had less possession than our opposition, pressed less and our defensive line was deeper and as a result we still dominated the game with scoring potential, defensive solidity and should have won easily even with the lesser side we had on the pitch.

We had more space, were more direct and because the opposition couldn't  play long high balls over the top of our defence effectively, our midfield could regain possession and play faster in transition into a more open opposition defence.

Amazing what a more balanced approach can achieve.

The game was beautiful to watch.

• Like 5

I've calmed down after last night but still love the draw. But what is killing my joy at the moment is the refereeing. It's beyond a joke - inconsistent, petty, uninformed, plain wrong and incompetent. It frustrates me to put mental and nervous energy in to a team only to find a muppet with a whistle destroying results and ultimately the spectacle. FFA need to look at this urgently - Valkanis was right in his presser  but will probably pay a pretty high price for being honest enough to say what we all are thinking. Like a senior player who isn't performing, you go down the list until you find someone competent. Alternatively, the best ref I have seen in the A League was a Japanese ref here on exchange. The Asian refs seem to be far better than ours and don't follow the culture (I think ultimately set by rewarded refs like Ben Williams) of thinking they're the main focus of the game and treating players like they're 5 years old. The culture is just poor and the end product as a result is bullshit. 

Fix it FFA!!  The focus of this game should be beautiful football - not repeated shaking of all of our heads at what we're witnessing  

End rant. 

Edited by Defibrillator
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Imo Genreau and Pieras will retain their places in the squad. Bruno and Jakobsen are the only walk ups i reckon. We might end up (i hope) with something like:

Sorensen
Pieras            Tongyik             Jakobsen      Colazo
                                 Kilkenny
                      Brattan             Caceres
Fitzgerald                 Fornaroli                  Kamau

Subs : Genreau, Franjic, Malik, Sozer, Brandan

Franjic goes straight back in if fit IMO,  Pierias did well but Franjic is top 5 in comp at right back 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Defibrillator said:

I've calmed down after last night but still love the draw. But what is killing my joy at the moment is the refereeing. It's beyond a joke - inconsistent, petty, uninformed, plain wrong and incompetent. It frustrates me to put mental and nervous energy in to a team only to find a muppet with a whistle destroying results and ultimately the spectacle. FFA need to look at this urgently - Valkanis was right in his presser  but will probably pay a pretty high price for being honest enough to say what we all are thinking. Like a senior player who isn't performing, you go down the list until you find someone competent. Alternatively, the best ref I have seen in the A League was a Japanese ref here on exchange. The Asian refs seem to be far better than ours and don't follow the culture (I think ultimately set by rewarded refs like Ben Williams) of thinking they're the main focus of the game and treating players like they're 5 years old. The culture is just poor and the end product as a result is bullshit. 

Fix it FFA!!  The focus of this game should be beautiful football - not repeated shaking of all of our heads at what we're witnessing  

End rant. 

Out of likes.

This bullshit of not being able to be critical of the referees has to stop. They are a blight on our game there needs to be drastic change.

The game was a 2-0 win for us as both penalties were wrong decisions and their goal was offside. The only penalty was the one on Caceras.

And this crap of the media experts saying 'at least the ref was consistent' is just bullshit. They were both blatantly wrong decisions which does not make it ok. . Because of the wrong decisions we were 0-2 down instead of 1-0 up, and that is a massive discrepancy from what it should have been in accordance with the rules of the game.

I agree, we should be getting Asian league refs as they administer the rules so much better.

• Like 2

Great game apart from Colaso 1st half. Would like to see yesterday's kids starting again next week along with Uncle Tommy. The only addition should be Franjic and Fernando. Fitzy is an absolute gem. Reminds me Walcott. Can he play in the middle as well? My biggest hope is that Valkanis got it and will be more flexible with the strategy. I was siting behind the away bay and it was almost physical pleasure to see frustrated Bambi not knowing what to do once he realized that we are not playing the usual style. The bastard obviously did not have any back-up plan.

7 minutes ago, MXG said:

Great game apart from Colaso 1st half. Would like to see yesterday's kids starting again next week along with Uncle Tommy. The only addition should be Franjic and Fernando. Fitzy is an absolute gem. Reminds me Walcott. Can he play in the middle as well? My biggest hope is that Valkanis got it and will be more flexible with the strategy. I was siting behind the away bay and it was almost physical pleasure to see frustrated Bambi not knowing what to do once Ross realized that we are not playing the usual style. Ross Aloisi obviously did not have any back-up plan.

fixed

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KSK_47 said:

Def worth a watch. Probably fast forward tge first half. That was pretty much how i envisioned the whole game was going to be. The second half however- that was great

Watched and was a little surprised how open it looked for us going forward, i think a few definately deserved to keep there spot for next week. Colazo can sit out for Tuna coming back and if Jakobsen is fit then we'll have to squeeze one of the kids out, Brattan can also sit on the pine with Timmy. Not a bad bench really.

• Like 1

I was pleasantly surprised , I had expected a bath when I saw the line up.

we didn't play our usual 70% possession , 95% of that possession just bullshit sideways passing

ok we looked shaky, turned over possession etc, but we showed some grit, plus pace and flair down  the flanks.

I'd prefer to see that every week, rather than the sterile game we have been playing

I went to the North end for a change , the reception that Uncle Tommy got with his first touch was stupendous, the fans certain know who should be number 1

enough said on the refereeing

• Like 4