Melbourne Football

Round 15 vs Adelaide 12th January, Thursday

kingofhearts

I wonder whether Valkanis is aware that potentially our 'domination' was a result of Amor purposefully setting up Adelaide to give up more possession than normal. We know Amor showed great tactical awareness last season and that's probably the least possession I've seen from them this season. 

8 minutes ago, n i k o said:

I wonder whether Valkanis is aware that potentially our 'domination' was a result of Amor purposefully setting up Adelaide to give up more possession than normal. We know Amor showed great tactical awareness last season and that's probably the least possession I've seen from them this season. 

Textbook tactics. Give them the ball, wait for the error, and counter attack with a long ball.

Leicester did it all year last year and did it magnificently 

8 minutes ago, n i k o said:

yep, this game was really similar to the Brisbane away game - dominate possession against two banks of 4 but take way too long to do anything useful with it, lose possession, get done on the counter-attack. 

I also can't understand why we barely tried to use Brandan's pace when he came on either when you consider the tired legs and hot weather conditions, instead we kept trying to play possession football when we should have been trying to get in behind the clearly tired Adelaide defenders.

Hopeless

• Like 1

'Twas rubbish, but once Colazo's goal was disallowed, we were always going to lose.

Josh Rose and Bouzanis ... holy crap it's hard to watch, actually that goes for our entire game plan. Just terrible anti-football that is simply contrary to CFG's philosophy. 

Need new manager NOW. Someone that sets up to our teams strengths and has the balls to tell CFG that just copying Manchester City is not gonna work in this league.

Lets not forget it was another coast to coast goal on the counter that killed us, it absolutely kills me when i see teams move the ball so quick against us and we inevitably get sliced open whilst we have these painfully slow build ups that vo nowhere, we have been cut open with ease by adelaide and the mariners in recent weeks..we arent getting anywhere near the top 2.

Im not fussed on valkanis, i wish he had the balls to do things his own way but our style of play is dictated to by CFG so nothing was ever really going to change from jvs to valkanis. We are already held up with the salary cup we dont need our hands further tied by a style of play that does not work here, hell its barely working for pep in manchester.

• Like 1

Slow build up play, all the possession in the world and it's not only boring as fuck, but can't yield us positive results.

Whats happening is a shambles. It's no wonder no new people want to come and watch the Fucking snore fest that's happening. 

They will keep Valkanis until the end of the year. He's a puppet and won't change a thing. Even in his interview with fox he stated we played well. 

Most at the club got their head up their own arses to change.

• Like 1

The inexperienced backline doesn't help. I don't think you can play Bozanis and Tongyik in the same side.

If Tongyik had Sorensen behind him his positioning would be a whole lot better. As it stands Jacobsen needs to lift his game in regards to marshalling the defence. Can't expect a kid to figure it out for himself.

As to The coaching, well I was confused why you wouldn't make early subs and use your whole bench playing in the heat. If you don't think your subs are good enough to come on, why are they on the bench? 

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

The inexperienced backline doesn't help. I don't think you can play Bozanis and Tongyik in the same side.

If Tongyik had Sorensen behind him his positioning would be a whole lot better. As it stands Jacobsen needs to lift his game in regards to marshalling the defence. Can't expect a kid to figure it out for himself.

As to The coaching, well I was confused why you wouldn't make early subs and use your whole bench playing in the heat. If you don't think your subs are good enough to come on, why are they on the bench? 

Thought Tonga was probably our best player.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, JC22 said:

Thought Tonga was probably our best player.

Great on the ball but his positioning was terrible I thought (which is understandable, given his age & experience), gave up the 2nd goal in my book. 

Lots of potential but he needs guidance from a senior player. Kilkenny coming back should help but he needs Tommy in goals too.

• Like 3

I had a strange dream last night,  the active area was in a cinema and all the players walked in and had to try explain the performance, I can't remember who was talking but I woke up and looked at alarm clock and it was 4.42

That's a clear sign we need to change formation to a 4-4-2

• Like 6

For people saying tongyik best player can I ask who was at fault for both our goals? Foul from tongyik lead to goal from free kick and second goal he lost guardialo on the counter and was daydreaming while the ball was in air to allow him to play Adelaide attacker through.

im all for ball playing defenders, when they can defend. That's where this club is confused. All the fans are sitting here saying they love tongyik because he is a good ball player (ie city style) yet they aren't happy losing? Look at the amount of goals the kid has conceded. If you want nice "city style" players then don't complain when we don't win. 

sydney fc are winning the league because they don't concede goals. We have scored in every game from memory, shore the defence up and we jump up the table. But that's not "city style"

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dylan said:

Why the fuck do we always cop a team right after a week of 'crisis' when they are always revved up

Lol...that didn't seem to help us when the shoe was on the other foot in the Heart days. 90% of the last two Heart seasons were crisis times. Except the teams that were clearly more talented than us would take care of business and get the required result against us.

Games against the bottom teams should be a gift. It's no-one's fault but the players and the coaches that we continually fail to produce in these sort of games. 

4 minutes ago, melby said:

For people saying tongyik best player can I ask who was at fault for both our goals? Foul from tongyik lead to goal from free kick and second goal he lost guardialo on the counter and was daydreaming while the ball was in air to allow him to play Adelaide attacker through.

im all for ball playing defenders, when they can defend. That's where this club is confused. All the fans are sitting here saying they love tongyik because he is a good ball player (ie city style) yet they aren't happy losing? Look at the amount of goals the kid has conceded. If you want nice "city style" players then don't complain when we don't win. 

sydney fc are winning the league because they don't concede goals. We have scored in every game from memory, shore the defence up and we jump up the table. But that's not "city style"

I do agree with u that he made mistakes but i disagree he is the reason we lost

1st goal- we conceded because dean bosanis didnt run off his line to grab the ball when it was an easy punch or grab for bozanis to get.

2nd goal- we conceded because valkanis pressed our defenders half way with only one defender (tongyik) a little bit back. That is a rookie miskake by a coach to press your defenders that high. Of course when the other team counter attacks we wont be able to run back quick enough. I dont know anyother team in the world who presses that high. Manchester City used to this season but then they found out they were always being caught out so now Pep plays 4 back and only pushes the LB and RB half way but not all of them like melbourne do, and that is one of the best teams in the world as well.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jeffplz said:

That's cause he's got 4 defenders on him now at all times

Yep, and unlike last season where he had Novillo sticking close and playing off him he's becoming increasingly isolated up top.

As far as Tongyik, I think Shahanga and Melby have valid points. I rate the kid and think he's going to develop into a quality player but his positioning needs work and he definitely seems to fall asleep at the back at crucial moments. His ability on the ball however is brilliant for a center-half

• Like 2

11 hours ago, 'Einstein' said:

Took the family to Adelaide to watch this game...so sad...And on top of that we got abused and laughed at on the way out! This crap is so hard to accept.

Can someone please forward these sort of stories to the club? You've got to ask, why do we bother? Silver lining for me is I've got a newborn, so I haven't actually had the added ignominy of attending a game since the Cup Final.

The thing that's so galling to me is that no-one from the club comes out and says that it's unacceptable for us to lose those games, unacceptable to go a month without a win, unacceptable to translate scoring first in six consecutive games into more than six points. All we hear is "refs were against us" (Neil Kilkenny), "unlucky to be disallowed goals" (Melbourne City social media) and "Not the result we wanted, but we move on to next week" (City social media again: <copy/paste/post>).

Anyone that is employed by Melbourne City (I don't care if you work on reception), I'm begging you: can you please just say what we all know, that it's not fucking good enough and it's time for people to take a stand and show some fucking pride? The excuses for me are the pits. You weren't unlucky...you fucked it up. Again.

• Like 5

The team has been drastically under-performing for what about 6 weeks now, since the FFA cup win, and we get the chance to turn things around, coaches get the chance to change things, structures, tactics etc and we make absolutely no changes to how the team plays.

It's obvious our style of play has either been figured out or our players aren't up to sustain it after the good start to the season, the mucking about in defense is not working but we persist in passing around the back even when opposing teams press high now cause they know we will do some BS passing between the CB's and GK which then puts the whole team under pressure.

The way we line up just seems off, at parts last night Brattan was playing central defense which baffled me as much as Colazo playing defense for a few games. It also looked like we had only defenders and attacks no one in the middle of the park at some points last night

I actually can't see anyone at the club right now turning this around, you'd think to yourself "oh snap, we've been under-performing the last month, why not try something else", it's like saying i can get through this brick wall by banging my head to it, and after you see it doesn't work, you say to yourself, yeah lets keep going, we're bound to get through eventually.

The only positive for me is that would rather have a form slump now than in the weeks leading up to the finals so hopefully we can pick it up and hit some form.