Melbourne Football

Warren Joyce. As predicted by Serb Hair Dresser.. Goneski

Dylan

32 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Well this is a tough choice. 

Either lose to Victory and say goodbye to Joyce. 

Or beat Victory and keep him around. 

I never want to lose to Victory but getting rid of Joyce is an attractive proposition. 

Do us a favour Victory. 

I am willing to win this week, and then absolutely belted by Perth next week

Means we beat Victory, and almost guarantee the premiers plate isn't going to them, and then Joyce goes 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, neio said:

I am willing to win this week, and then absolutely belted by Perth next week

Means we beat Victory, and almost guarantee the premiers plate isn't going to them, and then Joyce goes 

I can live with that. 

Another week of Joyce is less than ideal but Victory losing balances out the frustration and hopelessness.

6 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Perth have it in the bag already 

Agreed.

I don't think any particular match is the make-or-break for Joyce. It's clear that CFG are looking at much more than just one result and more than just actual results. They're looking at all the aspects of football management and coming to the conclusion that he just doesn't measure up. IMO once it gets to the point where the season is wasted they will act.

Interesting that Vidmar is tipped to take over. I wonder whether that's just as interim or they are considering trying him for a season or two?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Agreed.

I don't think any particular match is the make-or-break for Joyce. It's clear that CFG are looking at much more than just one result and more than just actual results. They're looking at all the aspects of football management and coming to the conclusion that he just doesn't measure up. IMO once it gets to the point where the season is wasted they will act.

Interesting that Vidmar is tipped to take over. I wonder whether that's just as interim or they are considering trying him for a season or two?

Highly doubt Vidmar would be a permanent manager. Very surprised PK wasn't mentioned. I suspect it would be to protect PK from the rabble of a season it's been as they rate him very highly. 

33 minutes ago, AntiScum said:

Highly doubt Vidmar would be a permanent manager. Very surprised PK wasn't mentioned. I suspect it would be to protect PK from the rabble of a season it's been as they rate him very highly. 

Vidmar is the Assistant Coach whereas Kisnorbo is the Second Assistant Coach. 

That’s probably why they’d install Vidmar. 

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Agreed.

A logical pragmatic approach would be imo leave Joyce in place for the next 3 Victory Perth and Sydney and then make the change.

Regardless I can't see him lasting beyond that. 

Man I just had a flashback to the Aloisi period, and after 10 bad losses it was pretty clear he was terrible but it took just as long before they acted.

3 hours ago, AntiScum said:

If I were PK id be looking for an assistant gig overseas. Needs more experience in a different environment.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/city-s-joyce-stares-down-the-critics-i-ain-t-a-quitter-20190222-p50ziu.html

City's Joyce stares down the critics: 'I ain't a quitter'

By Michael Lynch

February 22, 2019 — 10.50am

Melbourne City boss Warren Joyce might be under the hammer and facing criticism on all sides for his side's faltering form, but the Englishman is not about to take a backward step or change his approach to the way he goes about his business.

''I ain't a quitter,'' Joyce declared on Friday morning, a day ahead of a Melbourne derby, which some have speculated could determine whether he has a future with the club beyond this weekend.

Joyce has been through the mill in the English Premier League and down in the doldrums with lower-division English clubs so pressure in an Australian context - where no team can be relegated - is a different experience.

And despite a barrage of criticism on social media and on fan websites from the most acerbic of the club's small fan base [thanks Lynchy !], he is not about to turn things on their head in a bid to regain form.

But there is no doubt that Saturday night's Marvel Stadium clash with their local rivals is a defining match for a club that has played in fits and starts this season, especially after axing star striker Bruno Fornaroli for what might be termed ''cultural'' reasons.

City are going through a bad patch having won only one of their last seven games, and the feeling is that a comprehensive loss against Victory on Saturday evening could be a nail in the coffin in Joyce's City career - if not immediately, then at season's end, when his contract is up for renewal.

The 3-1 loss last Friday to a weakened Newcastle brought matters to a head - at least among the fan group - and sparked reports that City bosses had considered pushing Joyce out of the door last weekend.

The Englishman smiled when asked directly if he had talks about his future following the Newcastle loss.

He said his primary focus was what it had been from the start - changing the club's culture, and trying to win the league.

“No I didn’t. My future – from the first day you come into the club, you want to make a mark on culture. You wanted to put standards in place.

“If you put standards in place and you’re consistent with your decisions, you’re not upsetting people.

''If you know the truth yourself on matters, you’re comfortable living with it, you can go to sleep at night, you can put your head on the pillow, you’re not looking at narratives or excuses or how things are portrayed.

“You’re just looking for consistency in your decisions and if you win, or you don’t win or you fail – at least you can live with yourself.''

Culture is a key word in the Joyce lexicon. During his period in charge he has tightened City up defensively - last season they kept more clean sheets than ever before  - and he has sought to make players more accountable and create a strong team and work ethic.

He has also not been afraid to blood youngsters. Daniel Arzani went from the City youth team to the World Cup in six months last year after being given a chance in the first team as Joyce looked to find ways to make City a more attacking threat.

And he has also given game time to the likes of Nathaniel Atkinson, Lachlan Wales, Riley McGree, Ramy Najjarine and Moudi Najjar: McGree might have been an established first teamer when he joined from Newcastle, but the others are very much development projects.

But it has alienated fans - at least the move vocal ones - and has led to an exodus of some of the club's more popular players, men like Neil Kilkenny, Tim Cahill, Fernando Brandan and, most spectacularly of all, Fornaroli, who has not been involved since early in the season and will be leaving the club to join Kilkenny at Perth Glory next year.

The coach is unapologetic for his focus and insists he is trying to instil a mindset of excellence that can build a platform for consistent success.

His problem is that supporters judge his performance only by the results of the first team and by the quality of the football they play, and many believe it is too unadventurous and boring.

City has the second-best defensive record in the league - not bad for a team sitting fifth on the table - but only one club, the hapless Central Coast, who are bottom of the league, has scored less.

Joyce says it isn't for the want of trying.

“There’s not been games we could not have won,'' he said. ''You can analyse them and come up with a different narrative. I don’t think we fear anybody in the league.

''It’s not just being capable of winning one-off games, it’s about consistency. Consistency in decision-making, managing games through,  killing teams off, putting games to bed and scoring from the opportunities you create.

Asked if he wanted to trigger his contract extension for next season, he declared: “I ain't a quitter. You have got pride in trying to do your best to play your part in that project (building a club and qualifying for the Asian Champions League).

''All I can do is know what the truth is myself.  Other people's narrative or spin, if there's a grain of truth, a lot of truth or no truth at all in it, I know what the facts are.

''As long as you know and conduct yourself the right way you still have to live with yourself.''

''Your KPI (key performance indicator) is yourself.  If you are used to winning you want to win ... you are striving for that all the time. That's the biggest critique or motivator - yourself.

''Even at this minute now, from this situation, it's still possible to win a grand final.''

But, he says, that wouldn't be entirely satisfactory.

''We win a grand final, I would still be disappointed that we didn't win the league. You want consistency over a full season in everything you do, not just win three games at the end of the year and say we are the best team.

''From where I come from you want to win the league ... you want to do it every single day, day in day out, week in, week out.''

1 hour ago, Harrison said:

He sure can waffle on. 

Meanwhile Popovic has come in and transformed Perth Glory in one preseason. 

Popovic has literally done everything Joyce wanted to achieve in one preseason.

Joyce couldn’t do in two full seasons. 

Amusing. 

Exactly. It's been proven over and over that you don't need a whole season and a preseason after that to win a title. Whoever was the genius at our club that recommended and hired Joyce should be handled with skeptisism toward his next decision on who our coach is. 

Edited by n i k o

3 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Exactly. It's been proven over and over that you don't need a whole season and a preseason after that to win a title. Whoever was the genius at our club that recommended and hired Joyce should be handled with skeptisism toward his next decision on who our coach is. 

Actually, I guess you do if you keep giving your best players the arse on a regular basis.

• Like 3

I found this on the A-League Subreddit on the weekend:

I binged "Class of 92: Out of their league" which is a documentary series on Netflix about how the class of 92 bought a football club and how they run it the other day (great watch), and at one point Phil Neville scouts a young footballer (Sadiq El Fitouri) for their team (Salford City in the 5th or 6th division at the time) but the manager doesn't want him so Phil calls Warren Joyce at Man United and lands the player a trial, then Warren signs the player for two years. Anyway, long story short, in 2019 Sadiq doesn't have a contract after failing to break into FC Politehnica Iași (team in Romania's first division) so it's fair to say that after all that, fuck Warren Joyce.

Unsurprisingly, Sadiq El Fitouri is described on wikipedia as: "a sturdy defender with an athletic build "

Old Wazza certainly has a type.

• Like 1

Like Brats and Jamo, I don't expect Galek to go out on a limb even if he thinks Wazza is a complete tosser.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/we-put-pressure-on-ourselves-not-the-coach-says-veteran-city-keeper-20190221-p50zet.html

We put pressure on ourselves, not the coach, says veteran City keeper

By Michael Lynch

February 21, 2019 — 6.32pm

When you have been in the game as long as Melbourne City's veteran goalkeeper Eugene Galekovic you tend to take rumours about your coach's job security with a grain of salt.

In a career that has lasted 20 years, taken him from the NSL to Europe and back to the A-League, with eight senior appearances and a berth at the 2010 World Cup with the Socceroos under your belt, there's not a lot that can surprise you.

So speculation and gossip about City coach Warren Joyce's tenure doesn't provide Galekovic with any extra pressure in the lead up to the Melbourne derby this weekend, even though it looms as a critical match for the light blues.

City, having won only one of their past seven games, simply must reverse a horror recent run and rise to the occasion, as they so often do, against their bigger, better supported local rivals.

''He's very good at what he does, and he tells you what he thinks,'' says Galekovic of his coach, who has had to wear the fallout of the decision to axe fan favourite Bruno Fornaroli for the past four months.

''There is always pressure in every game. But when there is a run of losses on the trot like we have had you put more of it on yourself.

''As you get older and become a more experienced player you expect it and know how to deal with it yourself.''

That past experience means that Galekovic and his more senior colleagues should take on even more responsibility, says the goalkeeper – especially if the focus is preying on the minds of the team's youngsters.''

''It might worry the younger players a bit, so it is important that experienced boys in the team look out for them. But the thing to remember is you can only worry about the one game that's coming up this weekend. The situation after it will be different, and until you play and get the result, you don't know what that is going to be.''

If City needed a game to get the juices flowing and stimulate a recovery it is this weekend's blockbuster against Victory.

Joyce's men won the opening encounter of the season at Marvel Stadium and then stole a point at the death in the second of the three games at AAMI Park  when Dario Vidosic netted a stoppage time equaliser just before Christmas.

''I have been quite happy with the way the season has gone apart from the last month, when he have lost a few games and its not been that great,'' Galekovic says.

''We are obviously very keen to change that this week when we take on Victory. Everyone likes playing in the big games. The intensity lifts, the crowds are big and get into it. But we need to sustain that mindset all the time.''

The keeper – who was Victory's number one in the A-League's first season before moving to Adelaide United –  has a unique view of the game as it unfolds in front of him, and he doesn't believe that there are too many problems that City can't solve  relatively quickly.

''We are just doing the simple things wrong and we need to get back to basics. Counter attacking teams are causing us problems when we lose the ball,'' he says, explaining that it is imperative to get numbers back to defend when City's attacking moves break down and an opponent tries to hit them hard on the break.''

Meanwhile, Japanese star Keisuke Honda's Melbourne Victory teammates have given the attacking midfielder the tick to start on Saturday night.

Honda, 32, hasn't started a match in 11 rounds due to a hamstring injury but should return at Marvel Stadium as Victory look to inflict more woe on out-of-form City.

"He should be back. It's a massive boost for us having Mr Honda there," goalkeeper Lawrence Thomas said.

Victory will edge closer to full-strength against their rivals, with Ola Toivonen also firming as a bench-warmer after three weeks out from a training knock.

Edited by HEARTinator

3 hours ago, Harrison said:

He sure can waffle on. 

Meanwhile Popovic has come in and transformed Perth Glory in one preseason. 

Popovic has literally done everything Joyce wanted to achieve in one preseason.

Joyce couldn’t do in two full seasons. 

Amusing. 

Nothing more needs to be said. Cultural revolution has failed - jog on Joyce.

3 hours ago, Harrison said:

I’m hearing he’s gone after tonight, win, lose or draw. 

I agree that his departure won't hinge on the result tonight. What the club will have decided will be based more on our poor results against Central Coast, Brisbane and Newcastle (especially when you see that out of CCM's 7 points this season we've given them 4).

43 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I agree that his departure won't hinge on the result tonight. What the club will have decided will be based more on our poor results against Central Coast, Brisbane and Newcastle (especially when you see that out of CCM's 7 points this season we've given them 4).

Gone after Newcastle. 

48 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

CCM, Newcaslte and Bris. Add to that the shitshow V Perth, terrible game we got lucky against WSW and lacklustre V Adelaide. No wonder fans heads are dropped.