Melbourne Football

City vs Brisbane Thursday 28/12 last match of the year

citypool

Very enjoyable game, 8 goals, fluent play, heaps of parking by the river, so easy to get in and out of the city, small crowd but good atmosphere, Brisbane could have had 4 of their own so this affair was never dull, just a good solid professional outing by a team that wants to get better and better. Well done City boys tonight you go into the history books!

3 minutes ago, Le Hack said:

Both wingers in Jakolis and Natel were very good tonight and Mazzeo's little cameo was very good too. Where does that leave Nabbout mainly and Lecks?

Leckie plays, there is no question on that. I do wonder though if he could play as a midfielder in a trio with Sakhi and Arslan. The midfield looks better with Sakhi as the 6 I think, but we haven't found the 3rd cog to play every game yet I don't think. Bit like when we played all of Maclaren, Tilio, Leckie and Nabbout last season 

But in saying that, it's 1 performance by Natel against a team that I think I could have scored if I played with that much space and little pressure, I'm nowhere near convinced by him. Right now he has probably got himself a start next week, but that's all at the moment 

• Like 1

Ugarkovic, Antonis and Lapone are playing for basically the same position. I have seen enough of Ugarcovic to say that out of those three I don't consider him a starting player. So basically for me, Antonis deserves a start up for 60 minutes and then bring on Lapone. Admittedly, Lapone did ok but I can't see him creating opportunities whereas Antonis did.

i watched the replays as they came it. Looked to me that Vidmar threw away his CFG manual and decided to play some real football. The boys all looked sharp - what a cracker of a pass from Aziz - the crosses on target - free-flowing quick forward movements - lively instead of lethargic. And a little cameo beauty from Caputo and Mazzeo to finish.

Great stuff - just like the Demolition Derby.

Just saw the interview with the Roar's interim coach. What a cop out. City has more global resources and therefore that is what he is playing against. Three things Trani: There are also other A-League clubs that have beaten City this season or drawn; secondly, it does not explain why the Roar players could not run back to defend; finally you lost control of your captain who was playing in just about every position rather than where he was meant to be.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

Just saw the interview with the Roar's interim coach. What a cop out. City has more global resources and therefore that is what he is playing against. Three things Trani: There are also other A-League clubs that have beaten City this season or drawn; secondly, it does not explain why the Roar players could not run back to defend; finally you lost control of your captain who was playing in just about every position rather than where he was meant to be.

Hahaha. Aren't they still owned by the Bakri Group? They could easily scout across East Asia if they tried.

34 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

Agreed. I thought the same. The reality is at kick off they were above us on the table.

48 minutes ago, D.B. Cooper said:

Agreed. I thought the same. The reality is at kick off they were above us on the table.

They seem to have gone into free-fall since they lost Berenguer. And as we know, it's no use building your game around him, good as he is, because he's too often injured. But they'd just played well to beat WU so I suspect the biggest factor last night was Ross Aloisi's departure. 

In contrast we really look like we've found our mojo, the new players are finding their feet, and the team is beginning to click. So many times last night the movement and passes looked instinctive, with players knowing where others would be. And I think before we settle for the 'we were only good because Brisbane were crap' argument, we should remember it might have been a different game had a couple of their early chances gone in. We rode our luck and then earned the right to play, and only then did they roll over and play dead.

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

They seem to have gone into free-fall since they lost Berenguer. And as we know, it's no use building your game around him, good as he is, because he's too often injured. But they'd just played well to beat WU so I suspect the biggest factor last night was Ross Aloisi's departure. 

Wasn't Berenguer on the bench?

30 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Wasn't Berenguer on the bench?

He is returning from injury. Apparently they were not sure whether he could last 30 minutes but in the end they gambled on him lasting 30 minutes and he played all right for the first 15 minutes or so but faded thereafter.

One other thought. I felt that Gamulka played well for the Roar and was their most consistent player. Shame that he chased other opportunities as I feel we need his edge and is as good as Ugarcovic.

31 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

I felt that Gamulka played well for the Roar and was their most consistent player. Shame that he chased other opportunities as I feel we need his edge and is as good as Ugarcovic.

He was with us at the wrong time; he was only going to get game time when O'Neill was unavailable, and so left to get game time elsewhere. Ironically, he would have had a starting position if he'd stayed. I don't think though that he's creative enough or positionally aware enough to have been a significant upgrade over Ugarkovic.

• Like 2

I've just watched a replay of the match, having missed it because of a social engagement.

Positives:

We won, and we corrected our GD blowout from the Adelaide game.

Natel had his first, mostly good game, as long as opponents give him space, he has the time to make the correct decision for the final pass.

Aziz’s assist was performance art of great beauty; it belongs in the NGV.

I really liked our midfield gegen-pressing, it took the pressure off our slow CBs

Souprayen's positioning has greatly improved over the past few games, and his disposal is creative. Together with Sahki, they almost equal one O'Neill. Our backline looks good as long as Souprayen isn't exposed for his lack of pace.

Further along that line, we look much better both defensively and in transition, with two defensive minds.

It was good to see JMac back on the scoresheet.

Negatives:

At the risk of sounding churlish, the scoreline flattered us; Roar could have scored 2 or 3 more goals with a little luck

Their determination to play a high line whilst refusing to shut down any of our players with the ball made us look better than we are. In that sense, I was happier with the 0-0 derby draw against a well-organised compact team

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 2