Melbourne Football

Australia Cup 2023: SF: City vs. Sydney Sunday 24 September 2023 KO 3 pm at AAMI Park

jw1739

At the moment, it looks like a long season, we'll probably scrape into the 6. I'm not too concerned that we are out of the Cup, we don't have the size and depth of squad to be playing three competitions at once, but I'm unhappy with how we lost.

Positives:

First half performance was passable, but with concerns at both ends.

Negatives:

If we want to play a high line, we need to have fast defenders, and we need to be compact, we were neither

Our ball speed is slow, Man City are effective because they combine triangles and possession with vertical balls that penetrate the opposition defence, we don't do that

We threatened very little, the only ball that found JMac was a delightfully creative ball from a Sydney defender; has he been introduced to our new players?

We lacked any urgency

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

At the moment, it looks like a long season, we'll probably scrape into the 6. I'm not too concerned that we are out of the Cup, we don't have the size and depth of squad to be playing three competitions at once, but I'm unhappy with how we lost.

Positives:

First half performance was passable, but with concerns at both ends.

Negatives:

If we want to play a high line, we need to have fast defenders, and we need to be compact, we were neither

Our ball speed is slow, Man City are effective because they combine triangles and possession with vertical balls that penetrate the opposition defence, we don't do that

We threatened very little, the only ball that found JMac was a delightfully creative ball from a Sydney defender; has he been introduced to our new players?

We lacked any urgency

Amazingly it wasn't from a Sydney defender, it was from Patrick Wood, a Striker. One of the more bizzare ones I've seen. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tommykins said:

Good fucking lord that was average everywhere. We're going to get smoked if that's considered anything outside of a bad performance. 

Who was actually there? I was, and perhaps the only bright spot of the afternoon was security - one security officer taking the initiative - allowing people to get out of the blazing sun and go and sit behind the northern goal, a gesture that I took full advantage of. If I was disappointed after Wednesday I am disillusioned after this afternoon - for the first time ever I left a match more than 5 minutes before the end, right after Sydney went 2-0 up.  We appeared listless, pedestrian, predictable, shapeless and without creativity. Sydney were themselves very ordinary, but they moved the ball forward far quicker than we did and consequently were able to create opportunities to score, where we are so bloody slow that the chance has gone even before it was there in the first place. When we we did get them Jakolis missed a golden opportunity to score, and then two of our players (I can't name them) botched another easy chance right in front, both before Sydney scored and we could have won the match from there. None of our visa players have impressed me this week. Unlike @belaguttmanI am concerned that we're out of the Cup - one chance to take part in AFC football next season is gone, and that's what I think the supporters aspire to even if the club doesn't. What concerns me too is that Rado seems content to just jog along as if it's all OK.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I am concerned that we're out of the Cup - one chance to take part in AFC football next season is gone, and that's what I think the supporters aspire to even if the club doesn't

What evidence is there that club aren't keen on continental football? I get the impression that its extremely important to them, and moreover, extremely important to CFG.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IssySG said:

What evidence is there that club aren't keen on continental football? I get the impression that its extremely important to them, and moreover, extremely important to CFG.

Because I'm sick of hearing that it's pre-season. IMO it's not when you're playing a competitive match.

10 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Because I'm sick of hearing that it's pre-season. IMO it's not when you're playing a competitive match.

But in the most literal sense, it is pre the beginning of the home and away season. While it wasn't a good display yesterday, that felt more tactical then a players lack of effort, or not taking the game seriously enough, or to your point - the club not taking the fixture seriously.

4 hours ago, belaguttman said:

I'd prefer to win all three competitions, I just don't think that we have the squad size, yet alone squad depth, to manage three competitions at once.

I reckon we are still out of our depth in the ACL and won't be contending for that trophy for quite some time. Aus cup is winnable every season tbh given it's against some decent A-League opponents. Winning the league is really down to a strong first 11 with at least 4 or so good bench/depth players. I don't think we have the cattle to be premiers again this season. Well at least not off what I've seen so far this pre-season....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, belaguttman said:

I'd prefer to win all three competitions, I just don't think that we have the squad size, yet alone squad depth, to manage three competitions at once.

The Final of the Australia Cup is 7th October. The A-League commences 20th October. We are not taking part in three competitions at the same time.

Football in Australia is now a 10-month season for full-time professional players, and for the full year for a full-time professional club. For years we've joked about "the longest off-season in the world" but IMO that era is over, and everyone needs to adjust their thinking.

My criticism of the current style of play is a different thing altogether. It might work for Manchester City, and other EPL clubs - their annual salary bill totals 190 million GBP and Manchester United and Arsenal in the same sort of bracket (three I've looked at), but I don't think that it will work at the level at which we operate, and I venture to suggest that our season, so far, has shown that it is sterile and just does not produce the goals that are necessary.

We may yet progress in the ACL, but our chance at the AFC Cup for next season is over.

Poor performance again yesterday, the best performance we had was against Wellington and we only really looked good for a 15 minute period imo.

I can't see Rado still being coach when we get to January tbh. Possession football with a lack of energy or movement, no one looks enthused to play under him.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

The Final of the Australia Cup is 7th October. The A-League commences 20th October. We are not taking part in three competitions at the same time.

Football in Australia is now a 10-month season for full-time professional players, and for the full year for a full-time professional club. For years we've joked about "the longest off-season in the world" but IMO that era is over, and everyone needs to adjust their thinking.

My criticism of the current style of play is a different thing altogether. It might work for Manchester City, and other EPL clubs - their annual salary bill totals 190 million GBP and Manchester United and Arsenal in the same sort of bracket (three I've looked at), but I don't think that it will work at the level at which we operate, and I venture to suggest that our season, so far, has shown that it is sterile and just does not produce the goals that are necessary.

We may yet progress in the ACL, but our chance at the AFC Cup for next season is over.

But that is not the problem. An ageing backline, players susceptible to injury, uninspiring manager leads to the results that we are witnessing. Imagine if instead of playing JMac for 90 minutes, he plays 70 to 75 minutes and Rafa or Caputo played the remainder? Imagine if Hall and Galloway were given 30 minutes a game? Imagine if the manager inspired them to greater heights?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NewConvert said:

But that is not the problem. An ageing backline, players susceptible to injury, uninspiring manager leads to the results that we are witnessing. Imagine if instead of playing JMac for 90 minutes, he plays 70 to 75 minutes and Rafa or Caputo played the remainder? Imagine if Hall and Galloway were given 30 minutes a game? Imagine if the manager inspired them to greater heights?

Reckon the large quantity of 30+ year old players might bite us in the backside if they start picking up injuries. Given our depth isn't crash hot this season, we are likely to be stretched thin at some stage...

3 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Rafa?