Melbourne Football

Season 2023/24

mattyh001

18 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Watched the Macarthur vs Sydney game. Macarthur will be hard to beat as they play five at the back. Further Kieran Baccus is a dirty player that for some reason was never spoken to by the ref - his AFL tackle would have been great if he was playing AFL. Ditto Lewis and Davila dives a lot.

Fun game to watch and that tackle was hilarious, they'll be hard to beat.

Watching Adelaide v Roar and I like watching this roar team, Ross has them playing nice football. I really like the look of that Lofthouse kid straight from the APL and Waddingham looks a handful for such a young player.

They had Irikunda in tears, but he has come across as a bit lazy since he signed his big contract, but he's going to need a bit more fortitude to make it in Germany than he's showing.

2 hours ago, citypool said:

The a league is great most of the games are exciting to watch. But guess what it's Monday and nobody is talking about anything there's no narrative around the league so fans are disengaged and you only have hardcore fans in it 

Yes Mondays papers are about what the AFL players had for breakfast on the weekend.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mr MO said:

They let Sydney have all the possession and just countered - very dangerous for us as we have no recovery speed in the back line or DM.

Arzani had a good game as well, with Bruno on fire.

Colacovski played pretty much a poacher, he did pretty good scoring a goal.

2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Must've been a hell of a game...and a long-range effort from Cola!!

Incidentally I miss that guy. He gave everything he had for Heart and City. We had a good side when we won the double.

Hahaha! Yeah I wish we had of kept him too! Great side we had assembled those seasons...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Caught the last 20 minutes of the Macarthur vs Phoenix game and boy did Paulsen have a game. For a young GK he was superb. Interestingly enough, Gauci at AU and now Paulsen at WP show that GK don't need to be old to be good.

And don't forget that we stole Gauci from Adelaide and then let him go...

16 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Interesting to see Phoenix on top of the ladder at the moment. Early days of course, but if they finish first or second they are ineligible for both AFC competitions.

Kudos to Italiano for getting them there playing a solid mixture of youth and experience players. I wonder how Ollie Sail feels now that he has been dropped to the bench by PG.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Watched the Bulls vs Jets game last night. I got two things from that game: The refs, Tim Danaskos and Alex King (VAR), had a poor performance - 6 minutes extra time does not equate to 9 minutes as there was no major incident that sucked up three minutes and Davila was not offside as Cancar put him onside as well as when Rafa had the ball Davila was not in play; the second thing is that Rafa does get a lot of the ball but ultimately does very little with it.

4 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

Watched the Bulls vs Jets game last night. I got two things from that game: The refs, Tim Danaskos and Alex King (VAR), had a poor performance - 6 minutes extra time does not equate to 9 minutes as there was no major incident that sucked up three minutes and Davila was not offside as Cancar put him onside as well as when Rafa had the ball Davila was not in play; the second thing is that Rafa does get a lot of the ball but ultimately does very little with it.

Our interpretation of offside and use of the VAR are very poor.

IMO the VAR should be involved only at the request of the on-field referee. And if the VAR cannot make a decision within 30 sec. the on-field referee's decision must stand.

The game is being ruined for both players and fans.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, NewConvert said:

I wonder who will be the first coach/manager to be sacked? For me it is likely to be John Aloisi.

He is surely skating on the thinnest of ice right now. His 'get out of jail card' for winning the grand final is no longer valid. They missed finals last season and are now cellar dwellers...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

He is surely skating on the thinnest of ice right now. His 'get out of jail card' for winning the grand final is no longer valid. They missed finals last season and are now cellar dwellers...

They do seem to have recruited badly, probably a reflection of having no money.

3 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

They do seem to have recruited badly, probably a reflection of having no money.

I feel they're squad is not that bad. They certainly have a talented midfield and solid defence, just struggling to score goals...Surely more talent than a bottom placed side...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NewConvert said:

I wonder who will be the first coach/manager to be sacked? For me it is likely to be John Aloisi.

His press conference had the ring of a man trying to protect his job.

“The result didn’t reflect the performance”

”This has been the story of our season”

”Once again the officials let us down”

Thin ice I reckon.

Just now, D.B. Cooper said:

His press conference had the ring of a man trying to protect his job.

“The result didn’t reflect the performance”

”This has been the story of our season”

”Once again the officials let us down”

Thin ice I reckon.

My response:

- No it didn't. You got all you deserved from a miserable demonstration of ugly anti-football.

- Boo hoo. In the long run you get what you deserve. You've been very poor for a long time.

- The officials favoured you big time. Your players got away with a lot that should have been punished.

Bugger off John. You've no friends left at City.

1 hour ago, MHFC-FAN said:

I feel they're squad is not that bad. They certainly have a talented midfield and solid defence, just struggling to score goals...Surely more talent than a bottom placed side...

Noah Botic is their main striker! No reflection on Noah, but it's a big responsibility for a young player and he has little support

They have a squad of either really good aleague standard players - Risdon, Imai, Penha, Thurgate, I think Hewerd Belle is alright as is Botic... Or absolute battlers - Tratt, Lustica, Wales, Danzaki, Ruhs, Najjarine. And not a hell of alot in between.

When they were good, their worst players were still of a reasonable aleague standard. They got really lucky for 1 season on the back of Lacroix, Young and Prijovic, apart from that they have been irrelevant and pretty rubbish

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, neio said:

They have a squad of either really good aleague standard players - Risdon, Imai, Penha, Thurgate, I think Hewerd Belle is alright as is Botic... Or absolute battlers - Tratt, Lustica, Wales, Danzaki, Ruhs, Najjarine. And not a hell of alot in between.

When they were good, their worst players were still of a reasonable aleague standard. They got really lucky for 1 season on the back of Lacroix, Young and Prijovic, apart from that they have been irrelevant and pretty rubbish

Kills me that they fluked that grand final win over us...😫

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, neio said:

You forgot Diamanti who is now at City. Of course, I did forget the first casualty being our very own Rado.

Someone told me me the other day that they create a lot of scoring chances, up there at the top of the rankings, no idea if it's true or not, they just can't score.

We know how profligate/prolific Wales is and Penha seems just as reliable.

Aloisi will use the young striker as an excuse, or they won't be able to afford to sack him.

1 hour ago, moops said:

Someone told me me the other day that they create a lot of scoring chances, up there at the top of the rankings, no idea if it's true or not, they just can't score.

We know how profligate/prolific Wales is and Penha seems just as reliable.

Aloisi will use the young striker as an excuse, or they won't be able to afford to sack him.

Noah Botic needs to play for experience, but isn't ready to lead the line

37 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Noah Botic needs to play for experience, but isn't ready to lead the line

Yeah, or a second experienced striker to play beside like Colacovski has Taggart.

His confidence would be hiding in his shoes atm.