Melbourne Football

Neil Kilkenny

haz

"Nissan" is on the left sleeve of the jersey he's holding in the pic on the club web-site. But it can't be next season's kit unless we're keeping the navy/dark blue/obsidian stripe.

Like the member's scarf for next season though - can't see any dark blue there.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Rasputin said:

Still need a #10 play maker - Mooy replacement.

I'm going to presume Cahill will play behind Bruno so there's no real room for another attacking central midfielder. Cacerers can play that role and whilst I know next to nothing about him apparently Fernando Brandan can play there to. Presuming we sign Cahill and Brandan.

On ‎19‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 11:20 AM, n i k o said:

What are you looking forward to most this season?

"Simple. Its to win. I'm a winner. The club wants to win. I want to win. Hopefully all the players want to win and the fans want to win. So its all about winning for me."

That will change to:

"Simple. Its to win. But playing at this club, I'm now a winner and a loser because if we win we win, if we loose we loose. The club wants to win and lose. But I want to win. Hopefully all the players want to win and loose but the fans want to win. So its all about winning and losing for me."

Edited by Tony999

14 hours ago, jeffplz said:

Don't get too hyped up. Always remember Koren's hattrick.

There is a difference between the two. Kilkenny showed good enough effort on the ball but what impressed me was him coming on and showing General like leadership. He was screaming at Bruno, his captain, at one point to get into a better position. When you consider he's know his team mates for only a matter of days the early signs are promising 

• Like 6

• 2 months later...

Saw a fair bit of him when he was playing for Leeds in the Championship a few years ago. Only slight knock on him there was that he was perhaps not quite up for the physical combat that the Championship is/was. But A-League, although still pretty physical, is probably a rung down from there in the "kick the shit out of you" stakes so if he survived that, there's no reason to think he won't be a really good pick up. Very good ability to pick a through ball to strikers or thread a pass to the number 9's feet through traffic so should be good. My only other slight worry is that if we have Kamau, Cahill, Kilkenny, Caceres all rolling through the midfield who are not renown for their defensive workrate and Brattan who is perhaps a yard slow at Number 6, we may be vulnerable on the break. Crossing my fingers I am wrong.     

52 minutes ago, dr lime said:

My only other slight worry is that if we have Kamau, Cahill, Kilkenny, Caceres all rolling through the midfield who are not renown for their defensive workrate and Brattan who is perhaps a yard slow at Number 6, we may be vulnerable on the break. Crossing my fingers I am wrong.     

Best thing for me about the WSW game was seeing how quickly Kamau and Brandan came back to help out the defence. So I'm much more confident now about that concern.

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, Dylan said:

This guy needs more love. A real unsung hero for our past two wins. 

Does the unseen dirty work, completely nullified the Victory midfield, cut out passes, shut down players, kept defensive shape together, always made himself available for a pass, etc etc a great signing

Just as important, will take a yellow for the team

• Like 3

Tim Cahill in headlines but Neil Kilkenny really making Melbourne City tick

Jonathan Howcroft

Sunday 16 October 2016

Tim Cahill deserves the headlines. Inside just 27 minutes of his A-League debut he delivered Football Federation Australia’s sizzle reel pitch to commercial free-to-air television. A single nonchalant swipe of his right boot making the hoo-ha surrounding his recruitment feel like an undersell. Believe the hype.

Luke Brattan deserves his $500 Officeworks-laminated ironically proportioned man of the match award. For the second game in a row Brattan was perpetual motion, passing and moving, passing and moving. Unfussy, unhurried, he does the simple things well and it’s pleasing he’s recognised for it.

But the Melbourne City star most likely to be keeping rival A-League coaches up at night will be Neil Kilkenny.

For the second match in a row the 14-cap Socceroo was listed as a central defender but instead ran the game from central midfield. It was a tactic Melbourne Victory had no answer to.

City effectively operated dual formations, one with and one without possession. Defending, Kilkenny dropped alongside Michael Jakobsen as a recognisable centre-half, but when City had the ball he pushed into the engine room, freeing Brattan and the also excellent Nicolas Colazo. In both matches this season City have outnumbered their opponents in midfield allowing Cahill and co to catch the eye higher up the pitch. It all hinges on Kilkenny.

The former Preston North End utility is responsible for turning City’s defensive four into a three, for shoring up possession in uncomfortable areas, and for stepping out and intercepting following turnovers. It’s no surprise that for the entire 90 minutes on Saturday Kilkenny was shouting and gesticulating to players around him, manipulating his team’s shape like an orchestral conductor. Manny Muscat and Josh Rose seemed odd winter recruits but both sit comfortably tucked into a back three and both have the nous to respond to Kilkenny’s choreography.

Like holding a shell to your ear and hearing the ocean, if you watch a modern day football match closely enough you’ll see Johan Cruyff. Admittedly, when one coach is an old team-mate and disciple of the Dutch legend, it’s easier to spot.

Since arriving at City, John van ’t Schip has largely relied on the classical Dutch 4-3-3 model, to limited success. After a squad overhaul in the offseason he’s reverted to a system Cruyff introduced to Barcelona, spawning his feted Dream Team. It’s a system that relies on the football intelligence of the defensive libero. For Cruyff that man was Pep Guardiola, for Van ’t Schip it’s Kilkenny.

Cruyff talked openly about the vulnerabilities of the approach and the “suicide” of sacrificing a defender for a midfielder. He countered those anxieties with reason - the opposition can’t score if they don’t have the ball, he philosophised. Hence the modern obsession with possession, as much for its defensive properties as creative.

City finished Saturday’s game with 59% possession of the ball with 80% of passes hitting their target. Kilkenny made 55 passes, the second-most on the ground, and three more than Victory’s starting front four combined. Kilkenny’s touchmap reveals only one pass came from inside his own penalty area. When the game was most at stake, City’s dominance of the ball was pushing 70% and fans in the bleachers could be forgiven for thinking Kilkenny had been cloned. It made for attacking brilliance and defensive solidity.

It helps when you know exactly what you’re up against. Kevin Muscat’s Victory are the easiest team in the competition to predict, a reflection of the tried and tested 4-2-1-3 formation over a number of years. With players fit and in form it’s difficult to combat but it falls down when the link between defence and attack fails, as it did on Saturday. This has been a recurring malfunction for Victory since the departure of Mark Milligan but one without any apparent willingness to seek an alternative plan of action.

By contrast City’s moving parts all functioned in elegant synergy, crafting some memorable goals and working in unison off the ball. The front four pressed Victory’s defence smartly, denying the easy release pass. Neither Carl Valeri nor Oliver Bozanic were afforded time on the ball to build attacks from deep. Instead, James Donachie and Alan Baro were forced into long diagonals, too often disrupted by the awkward gusts of wind buffeting Melbourne’s docklands. This gifted possession back to City and the pattern, established around 20 minutes in, continued for the next hour.

The question long-term is how rival coaches adjust to City’s adaptation. City have played the opening two matches on their terms, but they won’t always have things their own way.

However, if they are found out during the season, their title ambitions need not be derailed. This iteration of City has more character than any of its predecessors. There is experience, leadership and fight all over the park, players not only prepared to mix it, but actively seeking and relishing contact. Fernando Brandan is the perfect example, an unyielding pitbull of a footballer, the antithesis of the clichéd mercenary forward courting the A-League for a cushy superannuation.

He is part of a Melbourne City team that is tougher, smarter, and more versatile than we’ve ever seen that football club produce. After flattering to deceive for so long, Van ’t Schip looks to have assembled something special.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/oct/17/tim-cahill-in-headlines-but-neil-kilkenny-really-making-melbourne-city-tick

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Has been fantastic. Makes great decisions, plays it simple 90% of the time and just clears it when things are too tight but can also knock a good long ball and thread the needle to the forwards. He also picks up way more second balls in the midfield than he has a right to, his positioning is great and his passing is excellent, the consumate Number 6. Also knows when to give away a foul and take a yellow card for the team to stop the opposition's flow. Not that thrilled with the playacting last night but if Isais is silly enough to push him in the face, why wouldn't you try to get the opposition's best player sent off?   

11 minutes ago, n i k o said:

I think he was within his right to play act, but I think he took it too far by dropping to the ground. 

This. I dont mind players bringing shit to the refs attention. But the flopping and rolling around is  absolutely embarrassing. As a club thats trying to encourage your average aussie to give soccer a go, you would think this type of behavior would not ne tolerated at all.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

This. I dont mind players bringing shit to the refs attention. But the flopping and rolling around is  absolutely embarrassing. As a club thats trying to encourage your average aussie to give soccer a go, you would think this type of behavior would not ne tolerated at all.

18 minutes ago, n i k o said:

I think he was within his right to play act, but I think he took it too far by dropping to the ground. 

Yeah agree with both of you. Went over the top and I bet will be spoken too. Isais did push his face though

Love him. Saw him go down but didn't see why. Sounds like there wasn't a lot to see?

My personal preference is for the "don't let the bastards know you're hurt" approach to injuries, so I can't stand this play acting. Now against the tards well, whatever.In that case alls fair, love and war, but playing against humans, well it's not on.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Love him. Saw him go down but didn't see why. Sounds like there wasn't a lot to see?

My personal preference is for the "don't let the bastards know you're hurt" approach to injuries, so I can't stand this play acting. Now against the tards well, whatever.In that case alls fair, love and war, but playing against humans, well it's not on.

Great game from him. On a couple of occasions though I thought he could have had a shot instead of passing the ball off.

• Like 1