Melbourne Football

Neil Kilkenny

haz

It's funny yet sad how people turn so rapidly.

And then act as if nothing is different.

Kilkenny won last seasons player of the season with 27 votes, polling in 16 of the games.

Some talk, particularly in this thread, included him as a captain, largely thanks to his general on the field nature

So you'd expect him to have a voice when it's comes to something seems 'wrong' / seeing things different to the gaffer

Yet barely 7 months on people talk like he should have been taken out the back and shot for primarily not seeing eye to eye with the gaffer

In saying that, Joyce is in charge and what he says goes (I never said otherwise).

More so it should be seen as the situation were people often disagree in the workplace, and any arguments indoors is part of a dynamic workplace.  At no stage did Kilkenny act the brat publicly, kept it indoors

To shame him for that is to frankly not understand how a workplace operates from a HR / personnel point of view, and needs to be call out for the bs it is

Edited by mattyh001

10 hours ago, mattyh001 said:

It's funny yet sad how people turn so rapidly.

And then act as if nothing is different.

Kilkenny won last seasons player of the season with 27 votes, polling in 16 of the games.

Some talk, particularly in this thread, included him as a captain, largely thanks to his general on the field nature

So you'd expect him to have a voice when it's comes to something seems 'wrong' / seeing things different to the gaffer

Yet barely 7 months on people talk like he should have been taken out the back and shot for primarily not seeing eye to eye with the gaffer

In saying that, Joyce is in charge and what he says goes (I never said otherwise).

More so it should be seen as the situation were people often disagree in the workplace, and any arguments indoors is part of a dynamic workplace.  At no stage did Kilkenny act the brat publicly, kept it indoors

To shame him for that is to frankly not understand how a workplace operates from a HR / personnel point of view, and needs to be call out for the bs it is

Completely agree. 

The only thing I disagree with you is that a proffessional team isn't the same as most work places.

If the coach doesn't like you for whatever reason then it's completely justifiable and accepted that you don't have much of a chance. 

As far as Kilkenny is concerned I personally think its a huge error and only time will prove or disprove this. 

• Like 2

New Perth Glory signing Neil Kilkenny praised coach Kenny Lowe for maintaining high spirits in the camp ahead of the 3-1 win over Western Sydney.

Perth were on a five-match losing run leading into the match, but a brace from Diego Castro and Andy Keogh's thunderbolt secured a much-needed three points at nib Stadium.

The result capped a positive debut for Kilkenny - who signed from Melbourne City in midweek - and the former Caltex Socceroo credited Lowe with instilling belief in the squad.

"I've only been here two days but the manager is brilliant and gives us all confidence," Kilkenny told Fox Sports.

I didn't watch last night but from everything I've read it seems that Kilkenny had a good game and did his job.

Now without trying to stir the pot too much (just a little😉) in their first starts since leaving us after bring isolated for so many weeks both Brandan and Kilkenny have had great debuts. And both coaches of their respective sides have seen enough in them to start them.

If nothing happens from the McCormack  situation and this transfer window it just puzzles me why would you discard 2 quality players and not replacethem. Now I'm basically assuming Vidosic has replaced Cahill in this argument and to me that makes a little bit of sense.

But overall losing 2 starting players for effectively nothing is short sighted, do it at the end of the season if they don't fit or you don't like, but to ship them off for next to nothing is to me a mistake. 

14 minutes ago, Jovan said:

I didn't watch last night but from everything I've read it seems that Kilkenny had a good game and did his job.

Now without trying to stir the pot too much (just a little😉) in their first starts since leaving us after bring isolated for so many weeks both Brandan and Kilkenny have had great debuts. And both coaches of their respective sides have seen enough in them to start them.

If nothing happens from the McCormack  situation and this transfer window it just puzzles me why would you discard 2 quality players and not replacethem. Now I'm basically assuming Vidosic has replaced Cahill in this argument and to me that makes a little bit of sense.

But overall losing 2 starting players for effectively nothing is short sighted, do it at the end of the season if they don't fit or you don't like, but to ship them off for next to nothing is to me a mistake. 

I'm glad Kilkenny had a good game, especially after having so much time out. However, and I say this without having a go at all, to think Joyce made this decision for nothing and due to a lack of long term planning is also short sighted as a supporter. I'd imagine there's far more to it than that. 

Edited by n i k o

1 minute ago, n i k o said:

I'm glad Kilkenny had a good game, especially after having so much time out. However, and I say this without having a go at all, to think Joyce made this decision for nothing and due to a lack of long term planning is also short sighted as a supporter. I'd imagine there's far more to it than that. 

100%. There's also the fact no-one knows what actually went down so its hard to take sides.
Also on the performance, they played against 10 men for 90 minutes so I'm not sure id read anything into it whatsoever. That goes for Castro and Xavi too, who had been dogshit for most of the season and just happened to have a good game this time around.

• Like 1

Well, we can just look at the outcomes. We don't need to know absolutely everything that went on, or what the thought processes were for Joyce and Kilkenny. And the outcomes are that:

- Kilkenny was voted the best player last season

- Under Joyce, Kilkenny was frozen out of the team from early October to late January, only playing 70 minutes over 3 substitute appearances

- A few days after joining Perth, Kilkenny plays 90 minutes and they beat WSW 3-1 (a team we haven't beaten all season)

- And Perth's coach Lowe said players like Castro played well because: ' "Maybe sometimes your young, inexperienced lads don't give Cas the ball around the right spot and he has to fight for it a little bit, but Kilkenny gives him it where he wants, when he wants it and how he wants it," Lowe said. "When you've got quality generally that helps quality to be quality." '(source)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Murfy1 said:

Well, we can just look at the outcomes. We don't need to know absolutely everything that went on, or what the thought processes were for Joyce and Kilkenny. And the outcomes are that:

- Kilkenny was voted the best player last season

- Under Joyce, Kilkenny was frozen out of the team from early October to late January, only playing 70 minutes over 3 substitute appearances

- A few days after joining Perth, Kilkenny plays 90 minutes and they beat WSW 3-1 (a team we haven't beaten all season)

- And Perth's coach Lowe said players like Castro played well because: ' "Maybe sometimes your young, inexperienced lads don't give Cas the ball around the right spot and he has to fight for it a little bit, but Kilkenny gives him it where he wants, when he wants it and how he wants it," Lowe said. "When you've got quality generally that helps quality to be quality." '(source)

Frankly Murfy, thats just plain stupid. It immediately infers that individual outcomes are above the teams culture, which was identified at the end of last season in an extensive review as the problem with why the team was failing in the past.
I'm not backing either horse in this race, as i don't know what went on, but to suggest we don't need to know in order to make a judgement is both arrogant and folly.

• Like 2

Well, that's one way to sidestep the observable facts, I guess. And observable facts is pretty much what I meant by "outcomes" (the point being, it is better to focus on the results we can see, rather than to continue guessing at the processes that lead to them).

It is also pure speculation based on nothing that Kilkenny was problematic for "the team's culture". All we know is that Joyce didn't play Kilkenny. Maybe Joyce didn't like Kilkenny's style of play (evidently preferring "midfielders" like Malik and Jakobsen). Or maybe Joyce just didn't like or get on with Kilkenny personally. 

So it is utterly unproven that Kilkenny that a problem for the "team's culture". Maybe Kilkenny was even a positive for the team's culture? (that speculation is equally as proven as the speculation that Kilkenny was a problem for the team's culture).

Anyway, there are zero signs that Kilkenny was a problem for Perth's "team culture" last night. Far from it...

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Murfy1 said:

Well, that's one way to sidestep the observable facts, I guess. And observable facts is pretty much what I meant by "outcomes" (the point being, it is better to focus on the results we can see, rather than to continue guessing at the processes that lead to them).

It is also pure speculation based on nothing that Kilkenny was problematic for "the team's culture". All we know is that Joyce didn't play Kilkenny. Maybe Joyce didn't like Kilkenny's style of play (evidently preferring "midfielders" like Malik and Jakobsen). Or maybe Joyce just didn't like or get on with Kilkenny personally. 

So it is utterly unproven that Kilkenny that a problem for the "team's culture". Maybe Kilkenny was even a positive for the team's culture? (that speculation is equally as proven as the speculation that Kilkenny was a problem for the team's culture).

Anyway, there are zero signs that Kilkenny was a problem for Perth's "team culture" last night. Far from it...

Unless you think that Joyce was not playing Kilkenny for absolutely no reason whatsoever, then you are excluding a large part of the argument. Im saying its an impossible argument to have honestly until you know the reasoning behind it. The observable facts are contextless without the rest.

I've not suggested that Kilkenny was poor for culture, nor have i suggested he was good for it. I dont know, nor does anyone on here.
The culture point is only relevant in that by suggesting things are only decided on based on individual outcomes such as Killa being player of the year, then by default team culture comes second.

2 hours ago, Murfy1 said:

But you are taking sides, despite saying you're not. You've done the same on the Arzani thread. The common thread is that you'll advance an argument which is broadly critical of the manager. We get it, we just don't necessarily agree.

• Like 1

I think that we can all agree that we don't know what's happened since preseason and now. I also think that we SHOULD agree that using the current 'evidence'(last season) and I use that loosely, is not substantial enough to know anything that has happened. It's speculative. Just as much as if I were to say that the fact he was our best player then he must have really done something bad to get frozen out. Same 'evidence' but can be used for both sides of the argument in a speculative way. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

How about we gather a biggest sample size of Killkenny before making an overall judgement on his impact at Perth?

I tell ya what, we love a good overreaction on this forum don't we?

There is no nuance anymore. I liked it best when everyone was united against JvS/JA/JvS/Valkanis. Now we're split on wazza. Can't we all get along 

8 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

There is no nuance anymore. I liked it best when everyone was united against JvS/JA/JvS/Valkanis. Now we're split on wazza. Can't we all get along 

Thought of this whilst reading your comment

giphy.gif

wazza is tearing us all apart :'(

Edited by kingofhearts

All the players and coaching staff that have left this season have done so graciously, with nothing bad to say about the club or Wazza, including Killa. I’ve heard bits and pieces that indicate that contractually CFG have a lot of power over the way people leave, and they control the messaging that goes along with the departures. All very scripted and planned out ... and God help anyone who strays from the script, it will cost them, big time.

Because of this we'll probably never find out the real reason behind how things went down with these guys. 

It just seems that if they want u gone, then bye bye. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

All the players and coaching staff that have left this season have done so graciously, with nothing bad to say about the club or Wazza, including Killa. I’ve heard bits and pieces that indicate that contractually CFG have a lot of power over the way people leave, and they control the messaging that goes along with the departures. All very scripted and planned out ... and God help anyone who strays from the script, it will cost them, big time.

Because of this we'll probably never find out the real reason behind how things went down with these guys. 

Id be looking to see if Kilkenny or Brandan are suddenly driving new Nissans or flying Etihad Buisness....

• Haha 1

My opinion on Wazza basically depends each weekend.

I didn't like him shipping off Brandan and Kilkenny. Not being able to deal with Cahill. 

I have liked seeing Arzani and Atkinson given his confidence. Also off late his flexibility with his structure and finally working his bench properly.

But as I've said a while back I'm at the station not sure which train to board. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Torn Asunder said:

But do's this not happen in any job these days if they want you gone they can and will find a way !

On 1/29/2018 at 6:20 PM, fensaddler said:

But you are taking sides, despite saying you're not. You've done the same on the Arzani thread. The common thread is that you'll advance an argument which is broadly critical of the manager. We get it, we just don't necessarily agree.

The overall point I was making was: Kilkenny was very good for us last season, then Joyce arrived and he didn't play at all for months, and now he's left for Perth and within a week he is already playing more and seemingly playing well. Seemingly the only factor between Kilkenny being a good player for us last season and now is Joyce, and maybe because of Joyce's limitations with press conferences and media he has been unable to explain why Kilkenny couldn't be a good player in the team or squad, and had to be released.

By the way, I don't recall anywhere saying I wasn't taking a side or position, I just didn't want to do a speculating/guessing argument about things we can't see and don't have facts about (topics which are often speculated on include: Joyce's relationships with players, the attitude of players, and the impact of players on 'the team's culture').

Also, I don't think it's a good idea for clubs to ignore, freeze out or release good/quality players, like Kilkenny. The same could be said about Brandan, and maybe Carrusca and Cahill. I believe it's vital for A-League clubs, with small squads of 20 to 23, to get as much out of all of their players as they can. Perhaps that's a key difference between Joyce in 3rd place, who gets a lot out of many players, and Arnold in 1st place, who gets a lot out of pretty much all of his players.

I don't like the idea of simply being "for" or "against" the manager. I'd prefer to give more detailed and fairer assessments. Yes, I sometimes say things which are effectively a criticism of Joyce--for example, not managing to get something out of good players, like Kilkenny (and maybe others), and then even releasing Kilkenny (and 3 others) halfway through the season. IMO that could be a significant weakness for an A-League manager, so I call Joyce out for that.

I have also praised Joyce, as recently as 1 week ago, for making good tactical changes (and even becoming more flexible with his tactics; something he wasn't until recently IMO) and for creating an atmosphere (and maybe even a "culture") where some normal players (like Malik and Brattan) have become significantly better (source). Also, I have never called for Joyce to be sacked, even after the incredibly disappointing home loss to WSW on January 1st this month.

Ultimately, I guess I'd say I have mixed opinions about Joyce. I'm undecided on him. However, I will say here unequivocally that I am happy for Joyce to remain as the manager at least until the end of the season. I've had a few sticking points with him, but overall things have been good enough, and maybe Joyce will grow into his role more and can guide the team to some success.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Murfy1 said:

The overall point I was making was: Kilkenny was very good for us last season, then Joyce arrived and he didn't play at all for months, and now he's left for Perth and within a week he is already playing more and seemingly playing well. Seemingly the only factor between Kilkenny being a good player for us last season and now is Joyce, and maybe because of Joyce's limitations with press conferences and media he has been unable to explain why Kilkenny couldn't be a good player in the team or squad, and had to be released.

By the way, I don't recall anywhere saying I wasn't taking a side or position, I just didn't want to do a speculating/guessing argument about things we can't see and don't have facts about (topics which are often speculated on include: Joyce's relationships with players, the attitude of players, and the impact of players on 'the team's culture').

Also, I don't think it's a good idea for clubs to ignore, freeze out or release good/quality players, like Kilkenny. The same could be said about Brandan, and maybe Carrusca and Cahill. I believe it's vital for A-League clubs, with small squads of 20 to 23, to get as much out of all of their players as they can. Perhaps that's a key difference between Joyce in 3rd place, who gets a lot out of many players, and Arnold in 1st place, who gets a lot out of pretty much all of his players.

I don't like the idea of simply being "for" or "against" the manager. I'd prefer to give more detailed and fairer assessments. Yes, I sometimes say things which are effectively a criticism of Joyce--for example, not managing to get something out of good players, like Kilkenny (and maybe others), and then even releasing Kilkenny (and 3 others) halfway through the season. IMO that could be a significant weakness for an A-League manager, so I call Joyce out for that.

I have also praised Joyce, as recently as 1 week ago, for making good tactical changes (and even becoming more flexible with his tactics; something he wasn't until recently IMO) and for creating an atmosphere (and maybe even a "culture") where some normal players (like Malik and Brattan) have become significantly better (source). Also, I have never called for Joyce to be sacked, even after the incredibly disappointing home loss to WSW on January 1st this month.

Ultimately, I guess I'd say I have mixed opinions about Joyce. I'm undecided on him. However, I will say here unequivocally that I am happy for Joyce to remain as the manager at least until the end of the season. I've had a few sticking points with him, but overall things have been good enough, and maybe Joyce will grow into his role more and can guide the team to some success.

My opinion precisely  (although I'm not as succinct).

Edited by Jovan

3 hours ago, Murfy1 said:

The overall point I was making was: Kilkenny was very good for us last season, then Joyce arrived and he didn't play at all for months, and now he's left for Perth and within a week he is already playing more and seemingly playing well.

Too early to tell and you are predicting success to justify your bias.

Seemingly the only factor between Kilkenny being a good player for us last season and now is Joyce, and maybe because of Joyce's limitations with press conferences and media he has been unable to explain why Kilkenny couldn't be a good player in the team or squad, and had to be released.

He doesn't need to justify anything publicly and you have no right to know the inner workings of the football club. You also don't know what transpired so to assume anything would be wrong. On the other hand Killa showed on field behaviour towards team mates last season that was indicative of an ego problem and had the effect of causing disharmony and tbh if I was a new manager trying to change the culture of a team, these are the type of players you need to get rid of. 

But it is quite easy to observe relationship patterns on the  field so based on that, people can understand why certain things transpire.

Rubbish, this is Arnold's 4th season and he did his fair share of culling along the way.

If players don't buy into a new managers vision, who by the way has better credentials and experience than any other manager in the A-League, then they need to go. End of story. 

Yep, all indications and processes he is using are well proven to build a team for long-term success. Building a good defensive mindset, getting rid of primadonnas, and selecting players on their merit rather than reputation is a tried and proven method.

Based on his performance in the first half of his first season and the immense task he had to change the culture and mindset of the team there is absolutely no reason to doubt his ability

Perth Glory new boy Neil Kilkenny at a loss to explain Melbourne City exile

February 1, 2018

Perth Glory recruit Neil Kilkenny says the reasons why he was frozen out of Melbourne City’s first team setup were never disclosed by manager Warren Joyce.

City released their reigning Player of the Year and Fans’ Player of the Year on 23 January, and two days later he moved west to Perth Glory.

Across both City and Glory, Kilkenny has started just one match this season, his Perth debut, and averages only 23 minutes per match at a total of 160.

City used Kilkenny off the bench on three occasions in the first 17 weeks of the season.

That is a stark contrast to last campaign, when, under John van’t Schip and Michael Valkanis, Kilkenny was City’s midfield fulcrum, completing 22 of 25 full matches.

Kilkenny came close to being named Man of the Match on his Glory debut, trailing in second only to Diego Castro, who netted twice and brought up an assist in their 3-1 win over 10-man Western Sydney Wanderers.

Kilkenny told Thursday’s Daily Football Show he was left frustrated by his omission, but had little hesitation in making the move west despite being a considerable distance from his Melbourne-based family.

“He (Kenny Lowe) rang me up and I spoke to him about a few things, I’ve known Kenny for a while,” he said.

“He’s a great man, really honest, down to earth, he gets on with everyone so well. He rang me up and just said, ‘come and play here, obviously you’re not playing this year’.

“That was a massive disappointment for me because I thought I had a very good year last year getting Player of the Year and Fans’ Player of the Year.

“It was a big surprise when the new manager cam in and didn’t want to play me.

“These things happen and I had the opportunity to come to Perth Glory and I jumped at the chance to come and work under Kenny Lowe.”

And ultimately, Kilkenny began his career with Perth still unsure why he fell down the pecking order in the first place.

“I don’t know (what went wrong) if I’m honest … he never explains his decisions, he just decided not to play me,” the 32-year-old added.

“He made his decision and he’ll get judged on his results and the way he does it.

“Players at the club know the style of play he wants to play and obviously I don’t suit that – last year I did suit that.

“I think that he’s gone down the different road of the style they want to play and that’s fair enough.”

“Now I’ve got an opportunity here (Perth) to come and try and express myself.”

Kilkenny and Perth will be tracking a second win in a row against Adelaide United at Coopers Stadium on Saturday and with it, the chance to jump back into the top six.

Three points against the Reds will see Lowe’s men do exactly that should Brisbane Roar and the Wanderers lose their respective matches against City and Central Coast Mariners.

http://dailyfootballshow.com/perth-glory-new-boy-neil-kilkenny-at-a-loss-to-explain-melbourne-city-exile/

Full interview here: http://20313.mc.tritondigital.com/WHOOSHKAA_1825/media-session/0d41107c-39a4-40c7-94ea-1a1812fc27f9/podcasts/podcast_1825/podcast_media/d59519-neil-1st.mp3

27 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Same. 

But instead of throwing anybody under the bus its more diplomatic to play dumb. Maybe he is hopeful of a return possibly. 

Pure example of him as a person. 

This. Regardless of what happened good or bad, you cant deny his professionalism in dealing with it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Murfy1 said:

"He made his decision and he’ll get judged on his results and the way he does it.

Yep he will.

5 hours ago, Murfy1 said:

Players at the club know the style of play he wants to play and obviously I don’t suit that – last year I did suit that.

Maybe you don't 

5 hours ago, Murfy1 said:

I think that he’s gone down the different road of the style they want to play and that’s fair enough.”

It is. Well said.

Good interview, hope Budzinski smashes 2 goals against you so we can see the whining face of yours when you spit the dummy at everyone else but yourself and then watch Castro put his 3 musketeers costume on and kick your arse.

Fk off.

• Sad 1