Melbourne Football

Semi final vs Adelaide United. Fri 22nd, 7:35pm (local time)

kingawesomeness

1 minute ago, kingofhearts said:

Very interesting conundrum JVS will have if Novillo gets off his suspension this week.

Do you start Novillo knowing that he's in your best 11? Or do you not tink with a winning formula after yesterdays win?

Very interesting indeed. 

Not in the best 11. His head gets in the way, start him in the bench

7 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Not in the best 11. His head gets in the way, start him in the bench

Debatable.

While i agree in his last couple of games his head has gotten in the way, i reckon he'll be coming out breathing fire if he gets off his suspension. You would start gooch over him still?

People have short memories and seem to forget how good he has been for us this season. Scored some cracking goals and has worked well with Bruno. 

Edited by kingofhearts
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Debatable.

While i agree in his last couple of games his head has gotten in the way, i reckon he'll be coming out breathing fire if he gets off his suspension. You would start gooch over him still?

Playmaker has short memories and seems to forget how good he has been for us this season. Scored some cracking goals and has worked well with Bruno. 

In saying that, based on the nature of finals series this is where playmakers weird and wacky bag of trick plays may come in handy. Based on the teams performance last night (and also Harry letting the team down) it's not a bad idea to leave Harry on the bench. 

19 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Debatable.

People have short memories and seem to forget how good he has been for us this season. Scored some cracking goals and has worked well with Bruno. 

Thought The Gooch and Clisby teamed up really well as unit on the left.  

The other thing is Novillo is played as an inverted winger meaning Clisby has to overlap to provide the width,and Novillo is suppose to cover for him.  But he doesn't.  Gooch OTOH plays a traditional winger, so less overlapping from Clibsy needed, but even when Clisby does go forward Gooch will cover.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Edited by Kiro Kompiro
  • Like 2

I wouldn't start Novillo. Sunday evening we played damn well and had one of our best team performances I've seen us play this season, Gooch and Clisby especially conplimented each other's games well and I'd like to see them link back up there together again.

I still really hope he gets off however, he has the potential to make a serious impact, imagine if we're chasing goal(s) and have a hungry Harry wanting to prove he deserves to be here playing in a final coming on at the 60th minute. He is an impact and big game player.

I'm divided on wether to start Novillo if his available. As stated earlier we played extremely well in his absence. It may be better for the team if his appeal gets knocked back, then for at least a week you don't have to deal with the issue. 

Having said all that if I was Adelaide I know they would probably prefer no Novillo. 

Interesting dilemma. The only thing for sure is expect the unexpected and potential cockup selection. 

6 hours ago, sheepdog said:

I don't like the smug prick.

Finals games are battles, you want to be playing with team mates that you know would go to war with you. 

Novillo is not one of those team mates. 

That more of a footy thing tho isn't it. Going hard and shit in soccer gets you cards.

In the world game you want blokes That can keep their head and remain composed amidst the carnage

Just now, bt50 said:

That more of a footy thing tho isn't it. Going hard and shit in soccer gets you cards.

In the world game you want blokes That can keep their head and remain composed amidst the carnage

That's still going to war. You don't go in with brute force. You go in with tactics to defend and attack. 

He clearly doesn't keep his head amidst carnage, hence his two week ban. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Deviant said:

That's still going to war. You don't go in with brute force. You go in with tactics to defend and attack. 

He clearly doesn't keep his head amidst carnage, hence his two week ban. 

Its also digging deep and findin that extra 10% when you are completely spent. The never say die attitude.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, malloy said:

Its also digging deep and findin that extra 10% when you are completely spent. The never say die attitude.

We also need a killer instinct. too many times we try take that extra meter and then shoot.

Pretty sure I've seen them drill the first time shot at goal before the game starts. It doesn't get implemented at all during the game. Instead, they cut in from beyond the 18yard box and then shoot.

33 minutes ago, bt50 said:

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.

I'm of the opinion that Novillo would be the last bloke in the squad to sacrifice himself for a team mate. 

His arrogance and selfishness reminds me of Arjen Robben. Yeah sure they are talented, but you wouldn't have a beer with them afterwards. 

His team mates should still be upset with him getting himself suspended in the first place to be brutally honest.  

• Like 1

We don't need the Novillo head fk starting, as what became apparent on Sunday was the the domination on the left side that Clisby and Garrucio showed in linking up and team play, where in the past the Zullo and Novillo combination was more about them being better individual players. Clisby is just better defensively and both work damn hard.

And to tell you the truth what I have seen from Marino is impressive, works hard, and gets into attacking position with ease with 2 real chances to score on Sunday

And to tell you the truth, Bruno and Mooy looked at ease and focussed and when barking instructions to the other forwards it was less of a head fk for them because they didn't have to put up with Novillo's antics and bad head space.

Sunday just worked and the team seamed in tune and together.

Harry to the bench and if he is not happy send him home, too much is on the line for prima donnas on our team. And to repeat my opinion on the Marino tread, I think a player with Harry's characteristics where he shows brilliance in parts of the game and incoherence in other parts, he is the perfect player to come off the bench and smash a tiring defence, perfect impact sub. Would hope he would come off the bench like a bull at a gate frothing at the mouth.

Edited by playmaker

4 minutes ago, CityGirl said:

Is the Imperial on for Friday for the people who won't attend the game in Adelaide?

Yep.

Also, The traveling fans now have a second bus going up. You should consider that.

2 minutes ago, playmaker said:

We don't need the Novillo head fk starting, as what became apparent on Sunday was the the domination on the left side that Clisby and Garrucio showed in linking up and team play, where in the past the Zullo and Novillo combination was more about them being better individual players. Clisby is just better defensively and both work damn hard.

And to tell you the truth what I have seen from Marino is impressive, works hard, and gets into attacking position with ease with 2 real chances to score on Sunday

And to tell you the truth Bruno and Mooy looked at ease and focussed and when barking instructions to the other forwards it was less of a head fk for them because they didn't have to put up with Novillo's antics and bad head space.

Sunday just worked and the team seamed in tune and together.

Harry to the bench and if he is not happy send him home, too much is on the line for prima donnas on our team. And to repeat my opinion on the Marino tread, I think a player with Harry's characteristics where he shows brilliance in part of the game and incoherence in other parts, he is the perfect player to come off the bench and smash a tiring defence, perfect impact sub. Would hope he would come off the bench like a bull at a gate frothing at the mouth.

You could have just posted 'work' and it would have made sense also. 

good one.

If Novillo plays he'll certainly be targeted by the AU players, especially if we are behind. The issue with Mauk is still ongoing and I don't have much confidence in JVS' ability to manage his players response to this. Just saying 'don't react' is about as effective as saying 'don't be anxious'.

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 2

Novillo would be perfect coming off the bench. Adelaide are a good team and even if we play as well as we did on Sunday we may still need that X-factor to use late in the game and to be fresh for extra time if necessary.

looking at our bench against Perth we ony had Marino to bring on if we were chasing a goal. 

Don't tinker with the team that gave one of the best all-round performances City has produced. All the reasons have been set out in previous posts. Even if you're chasing a match-winning or saving goal in the last 20 minutes you still need teamwork to produce that, not someone trying to take on the whole defence on his own. I wouldn't play Harry again this season if I was coach. Even if we keep him he needs to get his head sorted on and off the field.

• Like 2

Its a tough call. Perth were not playing good football. They were simply trying to bulldoze us and to our credit we held our ground, pushed back and were able to get the result. Adelaide will be completely different. They will be a lot smarter than Perth were and we will have to really have our wits about us. As much as i enjoy watching Novillo when we are playing against a substandard defence, he is not the best player when we need to be a smart team.

I say dont start him and depending on how things pan out, sub him on later in the game.

I can't believe what is being said. Novillo is exactly the player you need going into a knockout final. 

He must start and look at bringing Garuccio if he doesn't fire. He's a proven big game player and makes Fornaroli some much more dangerous. 

The alternative to me looks much weaker and makes less sense.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Jovan said:

I can't believe what is being said. Novillo is exactly the player you need going into a knockout final. 

He must start and look at bringing Garuccio if he doesn't fire. He's a proven big game player and makes Fornaroli some much more dangerous. 

The alternative to me looks much weaker and makes less sense.

Exactly right.

It's horses for courses and on Sunday we played the only team we really had available. Thankfully they performed marvelously. 

...but we're away this week against an opponent that is primed, unlike Perth. 

We just have to start our best players. He's scored 10 goals this season and assisted Bruno's 2 goals in Adelaide already this season, as well as having a hand in Fitzy's recently. 

..and this nonsense about Novillo impact sub because he'll be fired up . He would surely be just as fired up to start and prove his point then.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, rass said:

He would surely be just as fired up to start and prove his point then.

I have no doubt he will be fired up either way. My concern is that (particularly recently) he is not the best decision maker sometimes. When he is not in a good headspace he just tries to dribble past everyone and score screamers. And when he is not allowed the space and time to do this he cracks the shits and tries an even more spectacular run the next time he gets the ball. Adelaide will be fully aware of this as they were when they played us at home. Starting him could be risk imo.

Having said that if he is on a good day he could very well make the difference.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KSK_47 said:

I have no doubt he will be fired up either way. My concern is that (particularly recently) he is not the best decision maker sometimes. When he is not in a good headspace he just tries to dribble past everyone and score screamers. And when he is not allowed the space and time to do this he cracks the shits and tries an even more spectacular run the next time he gets the ball. Adelaide will be fully aware of this as they were when they played us at home. Starting him could be risk imo.

Having said that if he is on a good day he could very well make the difference.

Harry has scored 1 goal in his past 8 matches. And Mauk is such a dirty little shit that he'll be doing all he can to get City players to lose self-control. Harry is not worth the risk as a starter.

• Like 2