Melbourne Football

Semi final vs Adelaide United. Fri 22nd, 7:35pm (local time)

kingawesomeness

Always second to the ball.

Malik in particular was awful especially in the first 40 minutes-always second to the ball, hardly ever offering himself to receive.  He is not the answer at DM

None of Clisby, Retre, Garruccio will win a championship for us.

Caceras is no Mooy.

JVS needs to go and allow this club to come out from his shadow.  Amor makes a grand final in his first season.  Enough is enough.

• Like 2

Take outs from this game:

1. We got beaten by a team who can play football

2. Our two stars are just average when they have a team who actually follows  a game plan and shuts them out of the game . Mooy has been shit and will struggle in Europe if he can't even overcome A League standard defenders despite his impressive statistics.

3. JVS is even dumber than any of us can imagine. Don't let the door hit you in the back of the head as you leave

4. I'm relieved it's over. We didn't deserve any more with the coach we have. The quicker he pisses off the quicker we can rebuild. 

5. How can we let players go like Mauk and Partalu leave. Mauk tore us up because he always had the talent but had a numb nuts coach.

I just realised all of my takeouts had the one common denominator. CYA John. Thanks for SFA!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, carlings said:

Just got sent this picture of @strider in Adelaide 

FB_IMG_1461326259163.jpg

Pretty much lol

Such a heartless performance. Adelaide far too strong in the middle of the park. Mooy, yet again, a passenger. Caceres played with more fight.

Onwards and upwards from here. Hugged Melling -- that was my highlight. Oh and copping a full bottle of coke to the back of the head. Spastics in Adelaide

• Like 2

Can't really argue with 4-1 and they stuffed us a couple of weeks ago, so will just have to enjoy the memory of some of Bruno's goals. 

We were always going to struggle against Adelaide with Retre and Clisby as full backs as they have far more quality and speed out wide than the likes of Perth. Retre tries hard but just a yard too slow to control the quick wingers. Clisby has the speed but is just way too dumb. Can't help but wonder if Franjic, Zullo and a switched on Novilo would have made a difference, but that's the way it goes and Novillo goes missing whenever it counts most so perhaps not. 

I think Malik was a good pickup  but he was poor tonight. As soon as he and Kisnorbo start thinking they can be playmakers we are in trouble and Malik in particular had delusions of being Platini tonight. 

And although I don't think it cost us the game it was the most gutless refereeing performance I have seen for decades. Crowd yells and Strebre blows the whistle to keep them happy. Just has no business being a top level ref, should have retired a couple of years ago. Good riddance to the useless prick.. 

Not sure we can go to the next level with Clisby, Garrucio,and Marino getting significant game time and Novillo can just fuck off. I always wondered why a player with his talents and pedigree would come here at such a young age, but now I know, he's a fucking cat: lazy, moody and self-centred. So, if Mooy goes and perhaps Wilko (hopefully not) we will need some significant recruiting. 

One small consolation is that I won't have to listen to David "Shrek" Basheer commentate any more on SBS, he is as fucking as clueless as they come. And Clint Bolton is the master of taking five sentences to repeat the same thing 3 times that he could have said in a few words. I'm sure he has to wipe his chin wit toilet paper every couple of minutes because of the shit he spouts non stop. Much as I hate lining that cunt Rupert's pockets I'm going to have to get Foxtel for next season. 

Anyway, at least  that's off my chest now, I can get on with the rest of the weekend

Oh, apart from: FUCK....  JVS..... OFF!!!!!  

summs our season up these last two games.

I thought the first half was quite even though, the second half we got our ass handed to us.

I was undecided on Fitzgerald when we signed him, last week I wanted to say he was pish, this week I will say it, I am decided, I don't like him at all.

But the overall performance was half of last week against Perth, why?

The ref was terrible as well

2 minutes ago, moops said:

summs our season up these last two games.

I thought the first half was quite even though, the second half we got our ass handed to us.

I was undecided on Fitzgerald when we signed him, last week I wanted to say he was pish, this week I will say it, I am decided, I don't like him at all.

But the overall performance was half of last week against Perth, why?

Fitzgerald cannot be a consistent starter. He's more than adequate to be in the squad though. 

To answer your last question it was all Adelaide. I don't think the boys effort was much less than what they gave last week. But when a team defends the way Adelaide does and plays like a team it makes us look a bit helpless. It's this that gives the impression of a lack of effort. 

• Like 3

Just now, n i k o said:

Fitzgerald cannot be a consistent starter. He's more than adequate to be in the squad though. 

To answer your last question it was all Adelaide. I don't think the boys effort was much less than what they gave last week. But when a team defends the way Adelaide does and plays like a team it makes us look a bit helpless. It's this that gives the impression of a lack of effort. 

But we didn't play like last week, our pressing was no where near as intense.

But I do agree Adelaide are far superior to Perth, we allowed them to play their game and didn't impose ourselves.

Fitzgerald is no good, always does the sames things, but unlike Novillo, they are often terrible decisions that end up in the crowd.

He would be the first player I would release, I am not surprised to hear the rumour we are after Kamau.

Why the fuck was strebre chosen. Cunt killed us in r27 against them too

as usual, takes us to be losing to show any fight or urgency to attack. Too slow moving the ball forward, not taking the obvious option and passing in the defensive half was woeful. 

Lack of options on the bench annoying too

• Like 1

pretty much what everyone has said.

JVS has to go - two weeks ago AU played the same tactics and MC played the same way with an even more emphatic result. There was no plan B, there was no learning from round 27. Additionally he must have OKeyed the hiring of injured players so he has to bear responsibility for that. JVS has to go.

Stebre - don't let the door hit your arse on the way out. That was pathetic even by A-League standards.

• Like 1

I thought that we showed good effort last night (a change in a big game like that) but were tactically poor and individually poor at key moments and that's why we were beaten. Strebre was poor but hey, this is the A League, it was just another A League ref performance, noting unusual unfortunately. The only good thing is that we have failed to progress with a superior team to last season and failed to qualify for ACL so it's unlikely that JVS will stay. Unfortunately that means a new coach and a large turnover in the player list, again. We need to stop building and start consolidating if we want to win anything.

This is the first season where:

we have finished with a positive goal difference

won more than we have lost

beaten every team in the league at least once

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

I thought that we showed good effort last night (a change in a big game like that) but were tactically poor and individually poor at key moments and that's why we were beaten. Strebre was poor but hey, this is the A League, it was just another A League ref performance, noting unusual unfortunately. The only good thing is that we have failed to progress with a superior team to last season and filed to qualify for ACL so it's unlikely that JVS will stay. Unfortunately that means a new coach and a large turnover in the player list, again. We need to stop building and start consolidating if we want to win anything.

Stop giving JVS ideas for his performance review.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LB said:

I don't want to come on here and be the guy who says you need to be positive all the time but fark me there is a ton of absolute dribble in here... Some of you need to pick the toys back up and put them back in the cot. I'm as disappointed as anyone, but that's football, its nowhere near a fail of a season.

We had several factors against us (mainly injuries and fatigue) and simply lost to a very good team. I think everyone will be surprised if they don't take home the big one next week. Their ball movement is the best in the comp IMO, and they were relentless last night. At 2 - 1 we threw caution to the wind, as any team should, it didn't pay off. Happens every week in every league.

The scapegoat shit has to end. Firstly both Malik and Fitzgerald (who seem to have copped the brunt for whatever reason) have a very limited impact on our salary cap. Both have been superb for us this second half of the year. If the first player you're going to release, is the hardest working player in the squad, who is the only player that gives us some sort of width and allows Mooy and Fornaroli some space, positions himself extremely well, chips in with vital goals and assists, than you're from the JVS school of tactics. Deadset. He's a limited player, but he has far exceeded my expectations and does his job well. Or should we bring back Williams...?

Malik wasnt great last night, but has been a revelation at DM. Our improvement at the back, is just as much down to him as it is Wilko. He isn't the best ball player but for the most part takes the easy option as we need him too.

IMO Mooy was great the first half last night, and just got shut down in the second. He wasn't a passenger by any means, Adelaide just cut him down at every turn and blocked the space between him and Fitzgerald, which seems to be his easy option most of the time. If we had Novillo, Adelaide wouldn't have been able to double team him, and I have no doubt things would of been different.

Good year, enjoyable year. Gutted we couldn't take it further, but we were beaten by a very good side on their own turf.

Malik plays in a pivotal possession.  He *has* to get to the ball before the opposition, yet too often is either too slow physically, lacks the agility and is  wrong-footed,  or doesn't read the play which makes him look slow to react. His passing accuracy for someone who should be playing simple passes to Mooy and Caceras is questionable.  He looks OK against weaker sides- against Perth with a half fit Castro he was good, but today he was poor.  I'm not a fan of his and I suspect as he gets older and the league gets faster next season he will fall further behind

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, LB said:

I don't want to come on here and be the guy who says you need to be positive all the time but fark me there is a ton of absolute dribble in here... Some of you need to pick the toys back up and put them back in the cot. I'm as disappointed as anyone, but that's football, its nowhere near a fail of a season.

Some people are happy with mediocrity, some are not.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

Stop giving JVS ideas for his performance review.

My position would be to look at whether he has the qualities to take the team to the next level, the answer is a clear NO. If CFG are content with being perpetual semi-finalists then he's their man. If they want to win anything then they need to pay him out and sign a better coach. Performance reviews are well and good but I'm interested in improving next season (as are most of us)

29 minutes ago, LB said:

This is the equivalent of having a huge hangover and some cunt waking you up at 7am saying "its a lovely day outside! We should go for a jog"

If coming 4th in the leauge and getting humiliated in the semi is not a failure of a season to you then i dont want to know what is.

The only possible explanation for your post is that you are JVS and you are practicing what you will say when you are dragged into the boardroom by your ear.

Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

This is the equivalent of having a huge hangover and some cunt waking you up at 7am saying "its a lovely day outside! We should go for a jog"

If coming 4th in the leauge and getting humiliated in the semi is not a failure of a season to you then i dont want to know what is.

The only possible explanation for your post is that you are JVS and you are practicing what you will say when you are dragged into the boardroom by your ear.

What are you doing in here?

12 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

I don't think that we got humiliated, we were beaten by a better team. Primarily we were beaten by a better organised team with a clear game plan. Humiliation was our home performance against Jets and WSW and away to Perth where we put in no effort and had no discernible plan or tactics.

If anything I think that we've over-performed this season with many of JVS' limitations in organising and motivating the team disguised by the performance of the holy trinity

• Like 4

at the moment these are the problems that I can see:

1) JVS has to go...why play such a high tempo in the first half only to get fucking humiltated in the second

2) Its pretty much a given that mooy will be leaving the club who are we going to get to replace him - i'm sure they won't be as good as he is.

3) Harry Novillo will most probably get the ass which means should El Tuna stay on we will have to fill 3 positions in the team....next season is going to be very interesting.

4) Sorenson is 40 before the new season starts how many more games/seasons does he have left in him?

8 minutes ago, MICHAEL_MACGYVER said:

at the moment these are the problems that I can see:

1) JVS has to go...why play such a high tempo in the first half only to get fucking humiltated in the second

2) Its pretty much a given that mooy will be leaving the club who are we going to get to replace him - i'm sure they won't be as good as he is.

3) Harry Novillo will most probably get the ass which means should El Tuna stay on we will have to fill 3 positions in the team....next season is going to be very interesting.

4) Sorenson is 40 before the new season starts how many more games/seasons does he have left in him?

If you have a look at last nights Djite strike, you'll see he dives *under* the ball, and not for the first time.

1 hour ago, belaguttman said:

I thought that we showed good effort last night (a change in a big game like that) but were tactically poor and individually poor at key moments and that's why we were beaten. Strebre was poor but hey, this is the A League, it was just another A League ref performance, noting unusual unfortunately. The only good thing is that we have failed to progress with a superior team to last season and filed to qualify for ACL so it's unlikely that JVS will stay. Unfortunately that means a new coach and a large turnover in the player list, again. We need to stop building and start consolidating if we want to win anything.

I agree we showed good effort. I think it was more a factor of being individually poor than tactically. When we have beaten them in the past it was through players winning individual battles that played out across the park. Think Novillo out wide, Franjic down back and coming into midfield. Zullo also wins a lot of balls in different areas of the park. Take the quality of those players out and put in Retre, Clisby and Benny G and you can see how we lost out in those areas. They shut down space where they had too (the middle) but our players that had time and space did nothing with the ball. Basically our 4 wide players last night were so limited in their ability to hurt Adelaide and breate space for others that really we never stood a chance.

Very proud of the team.

Good team performance and the difference was not much really. The only real disappointment was the Djite goal that allowed them to lock Bruno down an forced us to press, but until then we had them like our last win here. Clisby's mistake in the box was a biggy but its going to happen players get mismanaged like they did this season and haven't had enough game time during the season to be smart in the finals.

So, on reflection,

JVS has to go, as does Novillo as his absence in the last 2 games is unforgivable.

We need quality impact substitutes that can either turn a game and create vigor off the bench.

The highlight of the night was the banter between us and the Fat guy in the Adelaide section, very entertaining.

43 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Very proud of the team.

Good team performance and the difference was not much really. The only real disappointment was the Djite goal that allowed them to lock Bruno down an forced us to press, but until then we had them like our last win here. Clisby's mistake in the box was a biggy but its going to happen players get mismanaged like they did this season and haven't had enough game time during the season to be smart in the finals.

So, on reflection,

JVS has to go, as does Novillo as his absence in the last 2 games is unforgivable.

We need quality impact substitutes that can either turn a game and create vigor off the bench.

The highlight of the night was the banter between us and the Fat guy in the Adelaide section, very entertaining.

Agree, it's still amazing (well not really with JVS coaching) how often the quick free kick continues to pay off against us. Everytime it's like it's the first time it has happened. We have a team of goldfish