Melbourne Football

RD 21: Suty away at the nux #tinmoreyeers

Dylan

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

A chance to go top of the table for the first time in our history (not counting the one night in Round 1 season 3).

Given the other fixtures this weekend, (WSW v Perth, AU v Bris, Mongs v Syd), it's a massive chance to either gain ground in the title race or put one hand on a home final.

There is no chance we can get to top this week, were 3 points behind roar and one point behind Adelaide

Assuming we win,if roar win were still 3 behind them, if Adelaide win were still 1 behind, if they draw we go 2 ahead of Adelaide but still one behind Brisbane

• Like 1

Just now, neio said:

There is no chance we can get to top this week, were 3 points behind roar and one point behind Adelaide

Assuming we win,if roar win were still 3 behind them, if Adelaide win were still 1 behind, if they draw we go 2 ahead of Adelaide but still one behind Brisbane

We play Friday, so we'd go top for 24 hours or so.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, neio said:

Their match could be called off or abandoned #believe

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Deeming said:

Their match could be called off or abandoned #believe

Jokes aside, last time we had a chance to go top of the table, we found ourselves 3-0 down before we knew what was happening. Even though a win won't see us hold top spot at the end of the week, it will be a real statement by the team. It's the sort of game we'd lose, in the bad old days. We're better than them and we have far more to play for. It will be very disappointing, but not particularly surprising, if we fail to take care of business.

1 minute ago, SF33 said:

Jokes aside, last time we had a chance to go top of the table, we found ourselves 3-0 down before we knew what was happening. Even though a win won't see us hold top spot at the end of the week, it will be a real statement by the team. It's the sort of game we'd lose, in the bad old days. We're better than them and we have far more to play for. It will be very disappointing, but not particularly surprising, if we fail to take care of business.

IMO this game is more important than the WSW one, given how many games are left and what has transpired since.

Win this and we are firmly in the title race with 6 games to go. Really exciting. 

• Like 1

The problem with Perth beating WSW is the pressure it puts on the top six. A better result would probably be a draw.

We could finish this round only two points off 7th or one point off 1st. 

I still reckon that wins for teams just below us are a bigger concern than wins for teams above us. At least for the moment. 

9 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Surely after going through and failing this about a month back we will come out with a high intensity and desire to get the job done.

What pisses me off is that we (i.e. the club) leave it to this stage of the season, when teams have had a go at reinforcing their squads in the January window, that we start talking about "must wins" and "six pointers." Just reversing the result of those two matches that we lost against Newcastle would see us on 38 points and leading the league (and Newcastle out of contention). It should be possible, with just 27 matches in the regular season, to maintain the intensity for every match.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

What pisses me off is that we (i.e. the club) leave it to this stage of the season, when teams have had a go at reinforcing their squads in the January window, that we start talking about "must wins" and "six pointers." Just reversing the result of those two matches that we lost against Newcastle would see us on 38 points and leading the league (and Newcastle out of contention). It should be possible, with just 27 matches in the regular season, to maintain the intensity for every match.

Totally agree. I still beleive we won't end up on top at seasons end and it will be those two matches that will have cost us. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

And, if we get to where we want to be, we'll be making it doubly hard in future years. This is when the mid-week Asian games kick in, which obviously makes Sydney and Victory vulnerable this season. We'd want to have built a cushion by now, if we had ACL games to worry about.

Edited by SF33

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Yeah, but every club can make the same arguments. We're not the only ones with the 'if only' scenarios. 

In the end, we are still in a position where it's in our own hands.

If we're good enough,  we'll get there. Simple.

7 hours ago, Harrison said:

The problem with Perth beating WSW is the pressure it puts on the top six. A better result would probably be a draw.

We could finish this round only two points off 7th or one point off 1st. 

I still reckon that wins for teams just below us are a bigger concern than wins for teams above us. At least for the moment. 

If we need the incompetence of others to keep us in finals then we don't deserve to be there.

With our squad we should always be demanding to win every game and chasing that top spot.

Just now, Jovan said:

If.

Well if we don't then the manager and players will need to be questioned.

They should be able to take great confidence that they have scored 50 goals. The second half performance should tell them that if they play in a positive manner they can win games. I also believe we may have found a solution in defence with the signing of Wilkinson.

I guess we will see on Friday.

• Like 1

I'm with you @silva10 regrding Wilkinson.  The problem for me is that I have zero confidence which mindset will turn up. Look at our last 2 games.

The derby we were probably over zealous first 20 but then we found an even output and as a group all contributed. Last week we slow and cautious the first half but better in the second. Lets not talk about the 2 weeks ago.

I just want week in week total commitment as a starting point. So Friday is just an unknown.

Not sure whether it would be a turning point in the sense your talking about @silva10. In the case of the last few weeks yes it is because we hadn't  won in 3 rounds. As for being a huge mental shift again I doubt it will be anything like that. I do agree with the top of the table belief. I still have a hunch that if we can end up top of the table after a whole round we will go on and win it.

32 minutes ago, silva10 said:

Well @jovan you can only take the positives from the last game and hope it is a turning point in the mentality of the team. For me that is the biggest hurdle they have to get over. The belief that they belong at the top table.

Old Heart days perhaps, but i don't agree with the hurdle of the top of the table belief for this current crop. 

The team is full of local premiership/championship winners and the visas have all represented their countries at some point in their career. Even the manager played in a European Cup winning team.

They should all have the expectation of being at the top.

They'll be up for it with their '10 Year' party this week, although if we play well theres no reason to think we cant take all three points. On last week, I think we were solid first half and exceptionally unlucky to be behind, but I agree the upping of pace, which in itself can leave you more open to counter attack, was what turned the game for us second half.

Much like when we played them a month ago, I struggle to see how they score without a flash of brilliance.

2-0 win with a Mooy pen and Fornaroli flick.

26 minutes ago, rass said:

Old Heart days perhaps, but i don't agree with the hurdle of the top of the table belief for this current crop. 

The team is full of local premiership/championship winners and the visas have all represented their countries at some point in their career. Even the manager played in a European Cup winning team.

They should all have the expectation of being at the top.

It's more than expectation IMO - it should be the desire and intensity to be at the top, and to play for the shirt week in week out. I'll believe it when I see it on the field and I haven't read "we didn't turn up" for two or three seasons. I can understand a top European team dropping in intensity for the odd match when they're playing in four or five competitions and 50+ matches a season - everyone has an off day at the office - but not with our short season and an off-season of almost six months. In fact I've sometimes wondered whether that's part of the problem - not enough football?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, silva10 said:

Well if we don't then the manager and players will need to be questioned.

They should be able to take great confidence that they have scored 50 goals. The second half performance should tell them that if they play in a positive manner they can win games. I also believe we may have found a solution in defence with the signing of Wilkinson.

I guess we will see on Friday.

I think this is part of the problem. Once you start scoring like this you can fall into thinking scoring will just happen. This results in lack of intensity. This was seen in the Newcastle away game and the CCM at home game. 

• Like 1