Melbourne Football

A must win: City v Wanderers 9th January

n i k o

Just now, KSK_47 said:

I could be mistaken but wasnt it Sorenson's quick distribution that set up our second goal?

You are mistaken because Sorenson cant do anything right. But yes he saw Mooy free and threw it to him. 

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Dylan said:

So show us these 'every game' examples? 

Hands down he is a better keeper than Tando. With all 2nd keepers this myth develops.Its happened twice in this club with Tando and Redmayne (go look at the earlier pages of the Andrew Redmayne thread). I love tando as much as the next supporter, but when others wilfully ignore all the great saves (and not to mention clearances when he comes out of the box) and the other work Sorenson does, for example winning us the derby, and focus on one or two mistakes,  suddenly Tando becomes a messiah. Its delusional. 

I think you mis understood me. I think he and Tando are similar but Tommy is a better leader and we need that right now, so I prefer him.

As to examples of Tom's stuff ups you serious? Watch any game. Take the Derby. That first goal was just plain terrible. He stood and watched the Albanian thug head it in. Now he then turned in a world class performance after that, which caused most to forget the goal, but it still happened.

So some see the stuff ups and whinge, others see the brilliant saves and rejoice, me I'm saying it's somewhere in between, he's a good keeper, one of the best in the league, but not God re-incarnate.

• Like 1

Not sure whether to be happy or terrified after this game, probably a bit of both would be fair.

Positives:

Good first half where we looked very balanced playing 3-5-2

Sorensen turned the game with his mistake, completely wrong body shape coming to collect a routine ball. Immediately though, the team dropped in intensity.

We pressed as a whole team tonight and did it well although there's no sense of the team being instructed when to press and when to sit back, or when to change the pace of the game. We just have an on/off switch, when we run out of fitness we just stop and allow our opponents to play.

David Williams got to play his 100th game with us although he was as ineffective as ever.

We bought a guest to the game who thought that we were giving redmayne a lot of stick, he didn't realise that Redmayne copped more from our fans when he was playing for us!

We got a win that we certainly didn't deserve, we seem to be doing this regularly.

Negatives:

When will we ever learn to play to the fucking whistle. This is the third goal our inattention has cost even though the ref made the mistake this time.

We either need to get fitter so that we can press for 90 minutes or learn to press smarter, what we are doing now is going to cost us regularly.

We can't defend and look vulnerable at every counter-attack. Castelan terrorised our defence, I'm so pleased he started the game on the bench

JVS put the team to sleep again with his half time address and there was no tactical adjustment despite being on the ropes for most of the second half

If Tando was here I'd bench Sorensen next game, not because he was terrible - he made a mistake that costs us but otherwise was OK. I'd bench him because repeated mistakes in his position are costing us and because Tando would be a good replacement. Bouzanis is here so I'd be forced to keep Sorensen playing.

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Can we all just stfu about this keeper bullshit and just enjoy the win? We've just had a great win and the first thing everyone wants to do is tear each other apart about the keeper ffs.

Just such a great feeling to finally be able to win games, i'm not happy about conceding a two goal lead, but to be able to come back and get the winner just shows amazing poise! What a fucking win! I'll have a full write up of the game when i'm sober!!!

P.S: I can see why strider wants novillos dick, what a fucking machine

Said this before but our new recruits Novillo and Bruno along with Mooy are adding a hardness and never say die factor that was previously missing from the team. You just have to admire how Bruno chases down defenders giving them no time to make clearances. That pressure from the front has a ripple effect that brings the rest of his team mates into the action. Maybe one of our best wins outside of a derby. And we gifted then two goals to make it look like a close contest :droy: 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HEARTinator said:

Said this before but our new recruits Novillo and Bruno along with Mooy are adding a hardness and never say die factor that was previously missing from the team. You just have to admire how Bruno chases down defenders giving them no time to make clearances. That pressure from the front has a ripple effect that brings the rest of his team mates into the action. Maybe one of our best wins outside of a derby. And we gifted then two goals to make it look like a close contest :droy: 

Yes, we actually scored all the goals tonight

• Like 2

Sorro leads the league in saves and has earnt us plenty of points over the course. We have by far the worse defence in the league and concede chance after chance after chance. He's been a good recruit. We just beat a side who haven't lost in months and people would rather bash the keeper than celebrate!

We are title contenders ffs!!

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, HEARTinator said:

Absolutely spot on mate.

It's weird after all these years, we actually have players who give a fuck and play for the shirt! Who the fuck thought i'd be able to ever say that after 7 years or whatever it is!

The only downer on the night was after the game was when for some unknown reason after the game, they decided to play that stupid fucking jet song instead of letting Melburnians create the atmosphere, fuck off, no one likes jet, let us chant you cunts!

Also WSW complaing about that decision is delicious, look at their facey:

What bitter cunts, EAD. Have we ever had a controversal decision go against us against them let me think hmmmm.....

bahaha it just doesn't get any sweeter, enjoy the win you beautiful specimens

Edited by kingofhearts
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

Sorro leads the league in saves and has earnt us plenty of points over the course. We have by far the worse defence in the league and concede chance after chance after chance. He's been a good recruit. We just beat a side who haven't lost in months and people would rather bash the keeper than celebrate!

We are title contenders ffs!!

C'mon we even had Redders assist all our own goals through his poor positioning and decision making.

1 minute ago, playmaker said:

So in conclusion these are the games we used to lose up to a couple of months ago.

Now we are winning them with the players showing grit and heart and showing us that they give a shit.

And the 9 odd thousand crowd that were there tonight, that's what its all about, we nearly lifted the roof off the stands in the last 15 minutes. Amazing atmosphere.

I am happy to follow a club like this.

Well done City.

BUT WE WOULD'VE WON THE GAME 15-0 IF WE HAD KOREN DUE TO HES DEF TOUCHED AN SICK ABILITY TO BE A SICK CUNT

(just kidding mate, have a good one, i respect your hussle <3)

24 minutes ago, possiblygeorge said:

NEVER have i seen Aami Park explode after a late minute winner.

Incredible seeing all supporters collectively stand up and sing from all angles of the venue.

Onwards and upwards, exciting times for this small Club! <3

You clearly weren't at the game against Sydney a few years back. 

2 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

BUT WE WOULD'VE WON THE GAME 15-0 IF WE HAD KOREN DUE TO HES DEF TOUCHED AN SICK ABILITY TO BE A SICK CUNT

(just kidding mate, have a good one, i respect your hussle <3)

Your right on the money there mate 15-0 would have been achievable with Koren playing... :D

• Like 2

Hope we continue with the 3 at the back. Only thing that worries me is the lack of pace back there especially Hughes

Get franjic back at RB, RWB, RM whatever you want to call it and Retre replaces melling in midfield with zullo starting and it will look very very good 

27 minutes ago, rass said:

Actually really liked the short contribution of Trifiro tonight. Did everything well and settled us down during a tough time there. 

Agreed. From his previous contributions, I'd wondered why we picked him up as a 15-20 minute energy burst in the midfield at the end of a game, when we could have just kept Murdocca, but he actually set up a few plays as well tonight, which was never really Mass's bag.

1 hour ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

Oh I thought Trifiro was very good when the game was in the balance-nice touch on the ball.

Yes, he brought some much needed energy.

1 hour ago, belaguttman said:

JVS put the team to sleep again with his half time address and there was no tactical adjustment despite being on the ropes for most of the second half.

He did change thing up with his subs, it just didn't have much of an impact until the end.

I agree that our players continually dropping away is concerning.

Just home and buzzing. A great win by the lads when we looked on the ropes for the second half. Our front 1/3 is just so exciting to watch and as noted above they give a shit. To push to the end was just brilliant. I like they have a bit of mongrel too - every bit of niggle we get they give back and won't take a backward step.

Watching closely tonight the real worry was the midfield. The 3-5-2 had them on the back foot for the first 25, but once Poppa tweaked it our midfield was pretty well shit until Melling came off and, to JVS's credit, he switched to a 4-3-3 in the last 10 minutes and we looked different. If you want to know why our defence looked so shit, we leaked like a sieve in the middle of the park. Silva's right above - no one playing the disciplined game and sitting in front of our back three/four protecting our CBs. I thought Paartalu was woeful here (how many times in front of Mooy and then couldn't track!!) and added to this he ran out of legs quite early. (Fwiw Demas and Andreau basically ran the midfield for the last 65 minutes and, from a footballing perspective, were a delight to watch play alongside each other. Demas in particular really gave Mooy a hard time once he gave him the respect he deserved.  Best midfield I've seen us play against for quite a while - both very disciplined, holding excellent shape and feeding balls forward at will especially to Nicholls). 17 shots on goal from WSW and 12 on target - the ball getting into their front 1/3 way too easily. It was obvious to me Poppa was trying to suck us down the pitch and try and hit our slower CBs on the burst - like their first goal - and it was too easy to achieve with no one filling the space.

Hughes better than I thought he would be  (ok the OG I'll admit) but he's quite strong on the ball and matched Piovaccari quite well in some one on one duels. Clisby ok but still the wayward turnover too frequently and Paddy K ok. Sorensen made up for his blunder and performed well to keep us alive. 

We would have crumbled a year ago with losing the midfield but to our credit we kept going and pushing - this to me is the most pleasing thing. Guys give a shit and want to win - just great to see. 

And are Koren's cards stamped?? Really concerning when your marquee can't even make the bench. Would love to trade him off for a decent number 6 or disciplined 8. Get our best fullbacks back on the park and a decent DM in and this could be a really interesting year!! 

Edited by Defibrillator
  • Like 4

Get around the house winning the ht crossbar challenge :up:

relief to win another close game, keeps us in the hunt
whole crowd was nuts after the winner and great to see, there was a little kid in the front row of the northern end with a go m city banner giving it to the travelling habibi's
to be picky obviously sorrensens howler was a massive let down going into ht, another hughes errror
tuna should have burried that header in the 1st half by putting it either side of redders but still worth a marquee spot and harry blasted another great chance into the side netting
happy days and have a shit one popovic you cunt

11 hours ago, n i k o said:

Bruno Fornaroli: "These are the games to show what we're made of and the most beautiful to play! Let's go…"

Post game tweet from Bruno: "And this is what we're made of! Great effort everyone and huge support from the fans! Let's go @MelbourneCity !" #together #VAMOS

Maybe it's the euphoria of winning but it seemed JVS made an astute tactical change in taking off Hughes, pushing Paartalu into defence and bringing trifiro into midfield. Castelan never saw as much of the ball after this and we also scored. Am I just losing it or did this happen? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, n i k o said:

Maybe it's the euphoria of winning but it seemed JVS made an astute tactical change in taking off Hughes, pushing Paartalu into defence and bringing trifiro into midfield. Castelan never saw as much of the ball after this and we also scored. Am I just losing it or did this happen? 

Yes it dd happen but it didn't stop Castelan getting the ball, he terrorised our defenders all night. Thank goodness he didn't start

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Deluka said:

Can't believe the delusion of Western Sydney fans over that disallowed goal, which was blown back even before the shot was taken.

Common sense prevailed, enjoy your flight home Popovic you twat.

Yes, the 'we should have scored a goal because the ref fucked up and then cruelly corrected his fuck up' argument is never a particularly convincing one, is it?