Melbourne Football

RD 9 V CCM Thursday 3-12 8pm Away

Dylan

Central Coast Mariners unhappy with FFA schedule for match against Melbourne City

December 1, 2015

Dominic Bossi

Central Coast Mariners are unhappy with the decision of Football Federation Australia to schedule a Thursday night match against Melbourne City just four days after one of their biggest home games of the year. 

The club is facing the prospect of their lowest crowd figure for the season with just four to five thousand expected to attend the match on Thursday. Difficulties in promoting the game, the short turnaround between home fixtures, poor results and a sense of fatigue for fans after their blockbuster game against the Wanderers have been cited for the forecasted low attendance. 

Mariners chief executive Shaun Mielekamp said a request for the match to be moved to any of the 26 other weeks was knocked back by the governing body. 

"When the draw was drafted, we expressed our massive concern around scheduling so close after the Sunday match against the Wanderers and knowing it was going to be a very tough one for families  on the Central Coast to attend," he said.  "While we fought as hard as we could to find another solution, the FFA wasn't able to reschedule this draw of us."

The Mariners were told changing the fixture to another date was not possible due to the knock-on affect it would have for other games. 

"The Hyundai A-League draw is constructed in consultation with all clubs and their venues," said an FFA spokesperson. "Inevitably, there are compromises in the process of a 135 game regular season, but it's now one third through the season and all clubs have had plenty of time to plan for fixtures."

An FFA spokesperson highlighted the importance of Thursday night fixtures this season which have proven to attract decent TV ratings thus far. Sydney FC's goalless draw against Wellington attracted only 9,000 spectators but an audience of 60,000 on Fox Sports. 

"The introduction of regular Thursday night fixtures was a key pillar in to the 2015/16 draw as part of the strategy to maximise broadcast reach and ratings. All clubs agree that building TV audiences is essential, as bigger audiences will inevitably lead to more TV revenue."

The Mariners' scheduling concerns extend for their home derby against Newcastle Jets, a rivalry the club is eagerly trying to promote once again. The match on February 28 is scheduled for a Sunday afternoon rather than the more attractive Saturday night or Friday night timeslots. 

The club faced a difficult prospect of being issued a fine from the FFA for not installing covered benches for their match against the Wanderers or restricting the viewing of up to 1,000 premium members on Sunday. The club chose to remove the benches on Sunday afternoon as the rain held off, though could have been fined had it rained and no cover provided to coaches and substitutes. 

"The benches are a worry for us in regards to the layout of the stadium. When benches are on and mandated for wet weather, a lot of members who've been with us for 11 years then have a blocked view. We're working to communicate with our members on that process. The club is exposed then to serious fines or we face upsetting our members," Mielekamp said. 

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/central-coast-mariners/central-coast-mariners-unhappy-with-ffa-schedule-for-match-against-melbourne-city-20151201-glcuhr.html

2 hours ago, Murfy1 said:

Central Coast Mariners unhappy with FFA schedule for match against Melbourne City

December 1, 2015

The club is facing the prospect of their lowest crowd figure for the season with just four to five thousand expected to attend the match on Thursday. Difficulties in promoting the game, the short turnaround between home fixtures, poor results and a sense of fatigue for fans after their blockbuster game against the Wanderers have been cited for the forecasted low attendance. 

At least our players will be used to intimate crowds of that size, they'll feel right at home

• Like 2

Squad:

Melbourne City FC squad: 1.Thomas SORENSEN (GK), 4.Connor CHAPMAN, 5.Ivan FRANJIC, 6.Erik PAARTALU, 8.Aaron MOOY, 9.Harry NOVILLO, 15.David WILLIAMS, 18.Paulo RETRE, 19.Ben GARUCCIO, 20.Tando VELAPHI (GK), 21.Stefan MAUK, 22.Jack CLISBY, 23.Bruno FORNAROLI, 24.Patrick KISNORBO, 25.Jacob MELLING, 28.Steve KUZMANOVSKI, 36.Matt MILLAR, 30.Hernan ESPINDOLA

***two to be omitted***

Ins: 19.Ben GARUCCIO (promoted), 24.Patrick KISNORBO (returns from injury), 28.Steve KUZMANOVSKI (promoted)

Outs: 7.Corey GAMEIRO (knee - season)

Unavailable: 3.Aaron HUGHES (calf - 1 week), 10.Robi KOREN (calf - 1 week), 11.Michael ZULLO (calf - undisclosed), 14.James BROWN (foot - 4-6 weeks), 26.Marc MARINO (knee - 4-6 weeks)
Read more at http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/team-news-central-coast-vs-melbourne-city/1dycqr4czga0215ipb5zkp6kxx#VtevqhXhQFUsBpoJ.99

Expected starting XI

- SORENSEN - 

FRANJIC - CHAPMAN - KISNORBO - CLISBY

PAARTALU                  MELLING  

MOOY    

WILLIAMS                              NOVILLO        

FORNAROLI 

Bench: VELAPHI, KUZMANOVSKI, MILLAR, MAUK, RETRE 

Starting line up:

Thomas "not as good as Velaphi" Sorenson

Ivan "Ragnar" Franjic, Angry Chappy, Slow Kent Kisnorbo, Soul-less Clisby

Faartalu, Mr "I'll break your head" Melling

Captain Australia Mooy

Pink Boot extraordinaire Kuzi with the Tooshy, Big Black Death Attack 3 legged Novillo

Dr Tuna 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

He'll be out for at least 1 Germano

I'm feeling more and more sorry for Shony really. I still think he's really our only true club legend - for the Santa Hat celebration.

IMO a Germano should be thought of as an old "Imperial Unit" of injury measurement, one that should by replaced with a "metric" unit. It looks to me that we have three candidates for such a unit -a "Hughes", a "Zullo", and a "Koren."

Could we have a poll so we can make a choice?

17 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I'm feeling more and more sorry for Shony really. I still think he's really our only true club legend - for the Santa Hat celebration.

IMO a Germano should be thought of as an old "Imperial Unit" of injury measurement, one that should by replaced with a "metric" unit. It looks to me that we have three candidates for such a unit -a "Hughes", a "Zullo", and a "Koren."

No poll necessary just get clarification from @Shahanga

Edited by Jovan

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

A 'Germano' is not a reflection on the player, it comes from the franchise's elastic use of time in order to convey no information to the supporters.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, hakz7 said:

11.Michael ZULLO (calf - undisclosed)

Yep. This looks great.

Did he go missing? Is he dead?

How can he go from playing in the youth team last week to undisclosed?

Can someone print off some missing person fliers so people know he's missing? We can hand them out tommorow.

Lets start the hashtag #findzullo on twitter. We can find him.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, illeatyourheart said:

Does anyone know anywhere in Bendigo that will be showing the game? I'm in the (un?)fortunate position of living in Bendigo for the week.

The National is your best bet. It's the closest thing to a sports pub in Bendigo.

I haven't lived in Bendigo for the best part of 3 years though.

Edited by Blackout
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

2 hours ago, Jovan said:

No poll necessary just get clarification from @Shahanga

1 hour ago, belaguttman said:

A 'Germano' is not a reflection on the player, it comes from the franchise's elastic use of time in order to convey no information to the supporters.

OK, well I must say i was alarmed to hear that jw was proposing to do away with the Shahangian TimescaleTM (humility is overrated), however on reading his post, their seemed a bit of confusion.

"A Germano", as bela indicated, is a unit of time named after the great man, based on how it was used in relation to him.  I have written my definition somewhere, but in essence, it is a unit of time, that is originally announced as 3 weeks, that will stretch to, well, anything.

One characteristic of a Germano that the casual reader may not be aware of is that it is time independent.  Thus if a player is unfortunate to be diagnosed as "out for a Germano", in a further three weeks he will still be "out for a Germano".  Obviously there is serious space-time continuum stuff happening here, but i think that will need a separate thread to explain.

Now I can see that some may see that the Shahangian TimescaleTM  has its limitations, having only the one unit and thus we could add others like say a "Zullo" (similar to a Germano, but only 1 week?), or "a Hughes" , (a random half of football, selected from the entire season?).

• Like 3

No, no, the Shahangian Timescale is, in fact the ultimate unlimited timescale, while at the same time the ultimate in simplicity. All time periods can be defined as "One Germano." Just a single unit of indeterminate value. It is consistent with the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, doesn't require an exact calculation of pi (which equals one Germano) or the concept of infinity (again, just another Germano). I was little worried about zero until I realised that the equation (1G-1G=1G) holds true and so zero is also equal to one Germano. The education budget can be slashed because plus, minus, multiply and divide and all mathematical manipulations are in fact the same, and multiplication and log tables are unnecessary.

I believe that you have made a major contribution to our understanding of the cosmos Shahanga.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

No, no, the Shahangian Timescale is, in fact the ultimate unlimited timescale, while at the same time the ultimate in simplicity. All time periods can be defined as "One Germano." Just a single unit of indeterminate value. It is consistent with the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, doesn't require an exact calculation of pi (which equals one Germano) or the concept of infinity (again, just another Germano). I was little worried about zero until I realised that the equation (1G-1G=1G) holds true and so zero is also equal to one Germano. The education budget can be slashed because plus, minus, multiply and divide and all mathematical manipulations are in fact the same, and multiplication and log tables are unnecessary.

I believe that you have made a major contribution to our understanding of the cosmos Shahanga.

Is the value of a Germano effected by mass? I'm also interested to know if in multiple other universes Germano isn't injured. Scratch that it seems impossible. I'd suggest in the alternate universes he has just injured different muscles.

8 minutes ago, wombegongal said:

Is the value of a Germano effected by mass? I'm also interested to know if in multiple other universes Germano isn't injured. Scratch that it seems impossible. I'd suggest in the alternate universes he has just injured different muscles.

I'm not sure on that. But I'm thinking that a Koren might be the Germanoan equivalent of the Higgs Boson - something that calculations tell you is there but you can't find and costs you a hell of a lot to keep looking.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

I'm not sure on that. But I'm thinking that a Koren might be the Germanoan equivalent of the Higgs Boson - something that calculations tell you is there but you can't find and costs you a hell of a lot to keep looking.

Yes of course the Hughes-Koren particle. Advanced modelling suggested it would work but the reality is somewhat more difficult to observe. Perhaps the true effect of these particles is witnessed in those around them. The argument could be made that without the Hughes-Koren particle Mooy might not have the same influence due to playing deeper in midfield?

• Like 1

Melbourne City needs to get off rollercoaster says coach John van’t Schip

December 2, 2015

Matt Windley

IT IS time for Melbourne City to get off the rollercoaster, coach John van’t Schip said, and back up its eye-catching performance last week with a win against Central Coast on Thursday.

Sixth-placed City will regain the services of captain Patrick Kisnorbo after he missed three games with a calf injury.

Corey Gameiro is out for the season with his knee injury, but in more positive news midfielder Robert Koren and central defender Aaron Hughes trained on Wednesday and are perhaps just a week away as the club’s injury crisis shows some signs of easing.

Thursday’s game is significant in that it presents a golden opportunity for City to win in Gosford for the first time in its six-year history, a duck van’t Schip said “it’s time” to break.

City has played seven games on the Central Coast, drawing one and losing six.

It has found the back of the net just twice at the ground and conceded 11 times.

In fact, City’s 3-1 success against Tony Walmsley’s men in Round 3 was only the second time the club had ever tasted success against the Mariners in 16 outings.

It is possible to get a read out of that October 25 game, van’t Schip said, namely that he doesn’t expect the Mariners — with just one win to their name this season — to deviate from their ultra-attacking style of play.

But whatever the case, van’t Schip just needs the same output from his players as he got in the stunning 5-1 win against Perth after a start to the season that has been plagued by inconsistency.

“We know — and that’s the first thing that we said after the game — that we have to back those things up,” van’t Schip said.

“Because otherwise it’s going to be like a rollercoaster all the time, and that’s not good.

“You have to get a foundation of trust and confidence in a team and you can only get that by having results longer (term) put together.

“That’s what we want and that’s what we’re working to become. If you want to become a big club and a good team then you have to back up results more and more.

“That’s what we have to do still, we haven’t had that consistency through the last years and that’s the step that you have to make in any competition.

“We have to work on that and understand that.”

Jacob Melling has been admirable as a makeshift centre back in the past two weeks, but it is expected that Kisnorbo will return to that role, which would allow Melling to move in to a more familiar midfield position.

“He’s fit enough (to start),” van’t Schip said of Kisnorbo. “But we just have to see how it goes.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/teams/melbourne-city/melbourne-city-needs-to-get-off-rollercoaster-says-coach-john-vant-schip/news-story/a221e775e4cbbedc995fb5fbcecee43d

16 hours ago, illeatyourheart said:

Does anyone know anywhere in Bendigo that will be showing the game? I'm in the (un?)fortunate position of living in Bendigo for the week.

Shamrock Pub on the main street, the sports bar will have it on

plus monster sized Parmas for $12

• Like 1

Caceras and O'Donovan should be our only concerns here. And with Montgomery out I'm not sure how good their back up player will be. Expecting us to score minimum two goals this game with Mauk and Mooy to run amok in the midfield. 

Sorenson

Franjic  Chapman  Kisnorbo  Clisby

Paartalu

Mooy   Mauk/Retre/Melling? 

Williams  Fornaroli  Novillo

Edited by n i k o

34 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Caceras and O'Donovan should be our only concerns here. And with Montgomery out I'm not sure how good their back up player will be. Expecting us to score minimum two goals this game with Mauk and Mooy to run amok in the midfield. 

Sorenson

Franjic  Chapman  Kisnorbo  Clisby

Paartalu

Mooy   Mauk/Retre? 

Williams  Fornaroli  Novillo

no Melling? Blaspheme! Burn at the stake! Witch! 

18 minutes ago, strider said:

no Melling? Blaspheme! Burn at the stake! Witch! 

Your right I should have considered him. At the same time who knows who will play out of those three. Would depend a lot on how they're performing during training. I've edited it though and added him in the mix  

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Your right I should have considered him. At the same time who knows who will play out of those three. Would depend a lot on how they're performing during training. I've edited it though and added him in the mix  

i accept your sincere apology. we all make mistakes niko do not think lesser of yourself