Melbourne Football

Melbourne vs Perth Friday 27th Nov 7:40pm AAMI Park

Baka1

40 minutes ago, recyclosaurusrex said:

did someone just get ejected?

That was me. Just for a France flag. I was asked to follow a guard to the cloaking room, cops stop me and get my details, then the guy disappeared. Now I gotta get it tomorrow morning, I'm still here though.

But it's ok for the tards to hold one up....

I don't even.

Edited by CaNNaVo93
  • Like 4

One of our most dominant performances in a while, front 4 really worked well 

Not that I usually talk about the opposition but how bad are Perth. I know they were missing obvious first team players like risdon, Djulbic, sandor and Fernandez, but even still they were rubbish 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, neio said:

Not that I usually talk about the opposition but how bad are Perth. I know they were missing obvious first team players like risdon, Djulbic, sandor and Fernandez, but even still they were rubbish 

But we are missing K-O-R-E-N

6 minutes ago, neio said:

hard to see why Thwaite is rated as highly as he is, he was useless and he's meant to be a senior figure in that defence

22 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

He got MOTM. Dunno if it's fan chosen or who decidess. but on thing is for sure  the kids an absolute beast

One of the very few players in our short history who i can say plays for the shirt.

Whilst i know we all want JVS out, its just nice to go home after a game happy for a change!

• Like 2

Positives:

we won

Mooy is a joy to watch

Sorensen chewing out Melling for poor positioning, we need more of this from senior players

Perth played so badly that Clisby had a good game

Crowd of 5,953. I'm actually pleasantly surprised that it was so high. Once again I couldn't interest anyone I knew in a free ticket.

We scored in both halves, and won both halves. Its the first 90 minute game for the season for us although Perth really made us look good.

Good performance from the ref tonight, easy in such a low intensity game.

Negatives:

Crowd of 5,953. I'm not expecting any substantial change as most of Melbourne understands that the next City home game is likely to be appalling. There's always something better to do in Melbourne it seems.

Our defensive structure was poor, Perth had far too many serious shots on target in the first half and could have also scored 3 goals against a lesser keeper. The visitors won't be so incompetent during our next home game. We conceded 2 goals from set pieces in 2 minutes, the first was off-side but our defence stayed asleep. Usual switch off before half time. I'm not reading too much into a win against such a poor team.

No sausages.

Aryn Williams' man bun deserved a red card all on its own. Probably the first football game with 2 players called Williams who both had man buns. This man bun first was David Williams only contribution to the game.

Once again I felt nothing in this game apart from watching Mooy. I've got as trauma response from watching Melbourne City, I can see a paper in this 'Post Traumatic Melbourne City Supporter Disorder'.

Security and Police response to a banner in the GA area - way over the top, adversarial and exactly what Melburnians are protesting about.

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 4

Whilst l was agsinst the protest l thought security and police overreacted over a banner. It's just a b-a-n-n-e-r ffs. 

Who actually pays these security guys? I genuinely think they (whoever pays them) can save some dollars and there wouldn't be any trouble..... not that there is any anyway.

• Like 1

Simply a beautiful night of football. A supreme performance from the new father Mooy, and it was great seeing him score a goal to mark the news.

When did we last win by 4 goals at home in the A-League? Off the top of my head I'd guess our 4-0 derby win when, when we were Melbourne Heart. Very pleasing to see a strong home performance (especially outside of a derby, that we traditionally lift in). More of it, and more spectators and fans will come. I brought someone new to the match--despite the dread every supporter feels when they bring people to Melbourne City games (as the team can be so dreadful at home, and simply not enjoyable to watch)--and sure enough they are keen to attend more games. Go figure. The football Melbourne City produced was proper entertainment, and I'm 100% confident that if the team can consistently produce football like that the attendance and membership issues will take care of themselves.

It's pretty futile to try and quantify Mooy's awesome performance and influence, but here I go. 1 goal, 2 assists, 9 shot assists, 7 key passes (that created shooting chances), 58 passes, 84.5% passing accuracy, 10 crosses, 70% crossing accuracy, 3 interceptions and 1 tackle. Huge numbers. And they still don't fully illustrate how positive Mooy's influence is.

I fully agree Fornaroli is the most composed striker we've ever had. And he's even produced much better A-League performances, but still he had a good game highlighted by a well taken goal. Also Novillo is showing that he can consistently be a goal-threat (rather than the profligate attacker some suggested he might essentially be after last season), and I'm expecting big things from him this season if he can stay on the park.

Our defence was pivotal to our good football. Having ball playing defenders that don't lack for pace is absolutely necessary to play the team's style of football. All the defenders had over 83% passing accuracy (a big improvement on earlier matches this season), Chapman with 89% passing accuracy and the most passes made in defence too (46), and that helped the team keep possession and build up attacks.

That foundation helped our midfield work effectively with the ball, with Retre being the best passer in the team with 91.3% passing accuracy and Paartalu being the 2nd best passer in the team with 90.6% passing accuracy (Paartalu also made the most passes with 64). And just add the quality players we have in attack, such as Mooy, Fornaroli and Novillo, and we have all the ingredients to consistently score goals, and even remain the league's top scoring team by the end of the season (right now we're the league's top scorers with 18 goals , and the team with the 2nd most goals has scored 12. Also Fornaroli is again the league's top scorer, now with 6).

So all up a really enjoyable night if one focused on the football. And if the team can keep producing football like that, the action on the pitch will solve the issues off the pitch.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 4