Melbourne Football

R 3: City vs. CCM, Sun 25 Oct, 5.00 pm, AAMI Park

jw1739

Has the start to the season been that underwhelming? Consider we have played away twice to the top 2 teams and have drawn one lost one and been in both games. We have made it past the first round of the ffa cup and into the semi (a massive improvement on previous results). 

I just don't understand why everyone is so depressed around here. If we won every game by 4 goals to nil everyone would complain that the highlights weren't flashy enough. Our season is hardly in the toilet. But I agree 10k seems a little optimistic.

Nah fuck that, we're shit. Same old shit, seasons gone before it started with all the injuries. Can't Schit has a losing mentality and will never instill a winning mentality. Fold the club. 

Edited by n i k o

Just made a comment on the match day thread, saying that the derby drain MV so much that they couldn't play. It would go part of the way of explaining the game against PG. So I am going to back CCM to win and at best a lucky draw. Hope I am wrong, and that JVS's decision to rest most of the players pays dividend but after watching last night's game my optimism decreases.

that's exactly why we'll lose.

Had a house full of sickness this week, on the mend  now really not enthusiastic about tomorrow. 

I think we will win, if only because I am at the stage were I am telling myself "surely we cant fuck things up this badly!" 

Having said that, I am not sure if I am going to bother watching

Haven't lost at AAMI in over 9 matches--which were 6 wins and 3 draws. Haven't lost there in 11 months (last loss 22 November 2014), and the team only lost 2 of its 13 home matches at AAMI last season. Keen to see the club keep AAMI a fortress.

The most important thing for me is the performance. The team played 1 good half of football in the Round 1 draw against Sydney, then 1 good half in the Round 2 3-2 derby loss, but then took a real backwards step in both performance and result against Perth mid-week. If the team can take 2 steps forward and put in a proper good 90 minutes performance against CCM this Sunday, I'm confident the result will take care of itself, and things will look better for the team going forward.  

Lol just realised we've never won our first home game in any season. Even more reason for optimism! :up:

League game that is. We did actually beat Phoenix in the FFA Cup, our first competitive home match of this season. Overall though, I don't recall any season when we've got away to a good start in the league, and that's one main reason for the dismal mood on this forum every season.

Haven't lost at AAMI in over 9 matches--which were 6 wins and 3 draws. Haven't lost there in 11 months (last loss 22 November 2014), and the team only lost 2 of its 13 home matches at AAMI last season. Keen to see the club keep AAMI a fortress.

The most important thing for me is the performance. The team played 1 good half of football in the Round 1 draw against Sydney, then 1 good half in the Round 2 3-2 derby loss, but then took a real backwards step in both performance and result against Perth mid-week. If the team can take 2 steps forward and put in a proper good 90 minutes performance against CCM this Sunday, I'm confident the result will take care of itself, and things will look better for the team going forward.  

I disagree. As far as I'm concerned, the only thing that matters is the three points, if it's a lucky win, so be it...better than a dominant draw. I can't imagine any scenario where I would walk out of AAMI happy, after sharing the points. A draw is pretty much a loss, given our first two weeks. One or two points after three games isn't acceptable.

Personally I would like us to play a 4-2-1-3 formation. I would have Bruno slightly withdrawn and play Dekker forward of him. This would be my selection

Sorenson

Retre                  Chapman                             Paddy                     Richardson

Mauk                 Mooy

Bruno

Williams                            Dekker                            Kuzi

Subs: Keeper, Millar, Paartalu, Gameiro, Melling

It would be good to see a different formation to give us more attacking intent.

Personally I would like us to play a 4-2-1-3 formation. I would have Bruno slightly withdrawn and play Dekker forward of him. This would be my selection

Sorenson

Retre                  Chapman                             Paddy                     Richardson

Mauk                 Mooy

Bruno

Williams                            Dekker                            Kuzi

Subs: Keeper, Millar, Paartalu, Gameiro, Melling

It would be good to see a different formation to give us more attacking intent.

Williams ?

Last season we had two points after 4 matches, and just six points after 8 matches. Another start like that and heads drop, morale in the team slips, and the fans don't bother coming once again. Yes it's theoretically possible to still win the league after a poor start, but it's not likely, because we don't have a history of finishing the season strongly either.

IMO it's essential that we got the three points tomorrow. Anything less is failure.

Williams ?

I like Zinni, and I think Espindola has struggled. 

I would give Williams the chance and tell him what I expected of him. If he doesn't take it then at least he can't say he wasn't given the chance. Maybe playing with Bruno  will help him perform.

Edited by silva10

I like Zinni, and I think Espindola has struggled. 

I would give Williams the chance and tell him what I expected of him. If he doesn't take it then at least he can't say he wasn't given the chance. Maybe playing with Bruno  will help him perform.

Williams doesn't deserve a start. He was poor off the bench. Espindola hasn't really made the transition to seniors yet. Zinni I don't know why he isn't getting a run but if Gamiero is available I would play him for 45 then swap him with Williams or Zinni.  So obviously were going to stick with the 4-3-3 and I'd play Kuzi Fornaroli and Gamiero.  

• Like 1