Melbourne Football

R 3: City vs. CCM, Sun 25 Oct, 5.00 pm, AAMI Park

jw1739

Big test. With the season fast unravelling after all the anticipation, what sort of a team are we going to put out against our bogey side?

I don't ever want to see another "winger converted to fullback." Richardson impressed me in pre-season - bring him into the side. And get some height in to the back line. 

Suggestion: Sorensen; Retre, Chapman, Kisnorbo, Richardson; Melling, Mauk, Mooy; Kuzi, Tuna and Gameiro.

For what it's worth - and that's probably not much - here is the squad:

Melbourne City FC squad :  1.Thomas SORENSEN (GK), 4.Connor CHAPMAN, 6.Erik PAARTALU, 7.Corey GAMEIRO, 8.Aaron MOOY, 15.David WILLIAMS, 16.Jason TRIFIRO, 17.Wade DEKKER, 18.Paulo RETRE, 19.Ben GARUCCIO, 21.Stefan MAUK, 23.Bruno FORNAROLI, 24.Patrick KISNORBO (C), 25.Jacob MELLING, 28.Steve KUZMANOVSKI, 30.Hernan ESPINDOLA, 36.Matt MILLER

***Two players to be omitted and One Goal keeper to be Added***

Ins : 7.Corey GAMEIRO (returns from injury), 15.David WILLIAMS (returns from injury), 19.Ben GARUCCIO (returns from injury), 25.Jacob MELLING (returns from injury), 30.Hernan ESPINDOLA (promoted), 36.Matt MILLER (promoted)

Outs : 11.Michael ZULLO (calf – 2-3 weeks), 10.Robert KOREN (calf - 2 weeks), 20.Tando VELAPHI (concussion - TBC), 22.Jack CLISBY (quad - TBC)

Unavailable : 3.Aaron HUGHES (calf – 1 week), 5.Ivan FRANJIC (quad – 3-5 weeks),  9.Harry NOVILLO (hamstring – 2-3 weeks), 14.James BROWN (foot – TBC), 26.Marc MARINO (knee – 3 months)

So still 9 senior players on the injured list...

For what it's worth - and that's probably not much - here is the squad:

Melbourne City FC squad :  1.Thomas SORENSEN (GK), 4.Connor CHAPMAN, 6.Erik PAARTALU, 7.Corey GAMEIRO, 8.Aaron MOOY, 15.David WILLIAMS, 16.Jason TRIFIRO, 17.Wade DEKKER, 18.Paulo RETRE, 19.Ben GARUCCIO, 21.Stefan MAUK, 23.Bruno FORNAROLI, 24.Patrick KISNORBO (C), 25.Jacob MELLING, 28.Steve KUZMANOVSKI, 30.Hernan ESPINDOLA, 36.Matt MILLER

***Two players to be omitted and One Goal keeper to be Added***

Ins : 7.Corey GAMEIRO (returns from injury), 15.David WILLIAMS (returns from injury), 19.Ben GARUCCIO (returns from injury), 25.Jacob MELLING (returns from injury), 30.Hernan ESPINDOLA (promoted), 36.Matt MILLER (promoted)

Outs : 11.Michael ZULLO (calf – 2-3 weeks), 10.Robert KOREN (calf - 2 weeks), 20.Tando VELAPHI (concussion - TBC), 22.Jack CLISBY (quad - TBC)

Unavailable : 3.Aaron HUGHES (calf – 1 week), 5.Ivan FRANJIC (quad – 3-5 weeks),  9.Harry NOVILLO (hamstring – 2-3 weeks), 14.James BROWN (foot – TBC), 26.Marc MARINO (knee – 3 months)

So still 9 senior players on the injured list...

Is the only reason why Espindola is playing ahead of Zinni is beacuse hes on a senior contract?

Given up before a home game has even been played. Has that ever happened? Normally we at least get a few encouraging/'unlucky' draws before the arse falls out.

There are some familiar aspects though: three visas (including our marquee) and our two biggest Australian recruits being unavailable, due to injury and with only one of them expected back next week.

Seems like I'm already back to the catch cry of last year: "Whatever, c**ts..."

Another underwhelming start to the season - check

4+ first 11 players on the injury list - check

Twilight Sunday game - check

A small away support group - check

Yeah, you're dreaming with 10,000...sorry to say.

Has the start to the season been that underwhelming? Consider we have played away twice to the top 2 teams and have drawn one lost one and been in both games. We have made it past the first round of the ffa cup and into the semi (a massive improvement on previous results). 

I just don't understand why everyone is so depressed around here. If we won every game by 4 goals to nil everyone would complain that the highlights weren't flashy enough. Our season is hardly in the toilet. But I agree 10k seems a little optimistic.

• Like 4

Has the start to the season been that underwhelming? Consider we have played away twice to the top 2 teams and have drawn one lost one and been in both games. We have made it past the first round of the ffa cup and into the semi (a massive improvement on previous results). 

I just don't understand why everyone is so depressed around here. If we won every game by 4 goals to nil everyone would complain that the highlights weren't flashy enough. Our season is hardly in the toilet. But I agree 10k seems a little optimistic.

The source of the pessimism is not the scorelines, its that in 3 games we've played a total of less than 3 halves of proactive committed football. The rest of the time all the old traits of Heart have been prominent. In addition the player selection for the last game and the usual crippling injury list give little cause for optimism so far. I for one will be enormously relieved to see a changed trajectory for the team this season but the usual script suggests inconsistent performances, poor away performances, poor ladder position until Xmas and then a small winning streak when we have players back from injury after Xmas that catapults us into 6th position at the end of the season.

OTOH we have a better quality playing list, at least on paper and we have departed from previous scripts by actually winning some preseason games. Prove me wrong JVS.

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 1

There's something to be said for that. But this is my fourth year as a member and every season has started the same way. That (combined with the almost comical injury list) is where the pessimism comes from, at least as far as I'm concerned. It feels a bit like same shit, different year.

But you're right, we're probably going a week early with the doom and gloom...anything less than a win though and the pessimism is more than justified. 

We drew 9,402 to our home match against this mob last season (Sunday 16th November), even though the villaphoria was ebbing away by then.

Don't know what effect the double-header will have, but the forecast is a pleasant 28 degrees, so I'm thinking we might draw 7,000 or so.

CCM are apparently trying to play a completely different style under Walmsley, much more attacking rather than their trade-mark dour stuff. That may give us more chance against them on the counter. Still think we are likely to be exposed at the back, and I'm a bit disappointed so far in that Sorensen seems to be beaten on his near post too easily.

Going along without very much anticipation, but thinking that to maintain any sort of credibility we just have to win and win well.