Melbourne Football

Bruno Fornaroli - "El Tuna"

Murfy1

Melbourne City star Bruno Fornaroli jokes: Who is Kevin Muscat? 

Clement Tito
April 12, 2016 

Melbourne City striker Bruno Fornaroli took a light-hearted approach to Melbourne Victory coach Kevin Muscat’s comments, made last week.

After spoiling Brisbane Roar’s opportunity to finish first last Saturday, the Victory boss said what drove them on the night was the mentality of wanting to be the only team that celebrates trophies at AAMI Park.

After taking out the A-League Golden Boot with 23 goals last weekend, Fornaroli had the chance to mingle with the fans and look at the A-League trophy at Olympic Park today.

Unsurprisingly, El Tuna is primed for the finals and is eager to shoot City to a first ever championship, with the possibility of lifting the trophy at AAMI Park.

“I don’t know who he (Muscat) is,” Fornaroli joked.

“I can’t pay too much attention on what another coach has to say, it’s important to listen to my own coach (John van’t Schip) and his instructions and deliver his message for the team on the weekend.

“When you see the trophy so close to your hands, naturally you want to hold it up to your head and celebrate. We’ve got a lot of hard work to do and we have to get to that point first.

“It’s my first finals, and I want to win the whole thing.”

However, City suffered a blow late on Tuesday afternoon with Harry Novillo hit with a two-match suspension by the FFA’s Match Review Panel. The Martinique forward was involved in the melee which broke out at half time in last week’s 2-0 loss to Adelaide United, and City could well lament the loss of his 10-goal prowess.

The suspension will more than likely stand unless an appeal is launched, but Fornaroli was remaining hopeful his strike partner would line up against Perth Glory.

“It’s easier for me when you play next to Harry and Aaron,” he said.

“They are very smart footballers and help me every time, it’s perfect for me.

“Aaron is an important player for Australian football, it’s great to have his ability next to me.”

The 28-year-old has drawn more attention from defenders as the season progressed, but the Uruguayan said he was undeterred by the extra attention and urged the club’s fans to get down to AAMI Park on Sunday.

“I can’t think their defenders are strong, it’s not my style. I play my game, it’s better that way,” he said.

“I don’t think too much, I only want to come, play and enjoy myself. That’s it.

“For me every game is different and every game I try my best, but when we don’t finish first, we have this opportunity. I need to play better, I’ll put this in my mind and try to play well.

“I have to enjoy these types of games, get the most out of it and be happy.

“It’s very important to get a big crowd, maybe it’s the last game at this stadium. The fans here, I think it’s very important for them to come in and support us.”

http://outside90.com/bruno-fornaroli-cheerful-ahead-of-crucial-elimination-final-530/

Please don't ever leave Mr Tuna :wub:

Edited by haz
  • Like 2

On 09/04/2016 at 9:57 PM, strider said:

Lol Mooy, the half season wonder. Bald motherfucker is not fit enough to lick Bruno's right boot clean. 

Bruno is 10x the player Mooy is and will be.

On 09/04/2016 at 10:03 PM, jw1739 said:

Bruno has also won the League Golden Boot by a clear 5 goals, setting a new record in the process.

FWIW Mooy had 20 assists this season - 13 clear of nearest rivals and well clear of all past top assists for a season / practically double those "top" of season records I could find.  

Each are worthy, and in a big way rewards both as a means of showing how special both have been this season

Marque Man

Melbourne City set to offer star striker Bruno Fornaroli multi-million dollar marquee deal

April 13, 2016 8:00pm

David DavutovicHerald Sun

MELBOURNE City sharpshooter Bruno Fornaroli will be offered a fresh multimillion-dollar marquee contract as reward for his record-breaking season.

Fornaroli, 28, is tied up for another year but City’s football department has indicated to his management that they will tear up the current deal and offer him a new multi-year contract making him one of the A-League highest earners.

City hope a new deal will sway Fornaroli to commit his long-term future to City, with a host of overseas club circling after his golden boot exploits.

Fornaroli is understood to be on less than $250,000 a year, but City are prepared to more than treble his wages and offer him a long-term deal, possibly four years.

The Uruguayan would replace current marquee player Aaron Mooy, who’s destined to be sold to Europe, leaving City with another marquee position to potentially lure a high-profile recruit.

Fornaroli broke the previous best regular season goals record by four, netting 23 in 27 games and surpassed David Williams as the club’s record scorer in his maiden campaign.

The upgrade would be akin to City’s elevation of Aaron Mooy from salary cap to marquee player on the eve of this season when he still had time left on his old deal, although Fornaroli’s feats have gained attention abroad particularly South America.

On the eve of City’s first home final against Perth Glory, Fornaroli told SEN’s World of Football show that nothing would be finalised until the season was done.

“I don’t know, I can’t talk too much now, I can’t look beyond this season when we still have this big game on Sunday,’’ Fornaroli said.

“I’m very happy here, with the club and my teammates and also my family is very happy here in this city. But in football you never know what will happen.

“I only focus now on the finals and after I’ll talk with the club and take the best for both.

“Personally I’m very happy, I’ve worked hard for this but when you score 23 goals and don’t win the league (it feels like) there’s something wrong. You don’t enjoy it, so we need to play 100 per cent and enjoy.’’

Fornaroli will lead the line in the absence of suspended strike partner Harry Novillo but was confident City could beat Glory.

“The team is looking good. It’s a big game, a final, but you need to enjoy the game, not everyone has this opportunity and we have,’’ he said.

“The team has good players and if you think that Melbourne City can’t win I’ll take my boots and go home.

“I’m very confident with this team. Now you need to put what happened in the league behind us and only focus on the final.

“Finals are different and we’re lucky we’re starting at home, but Perth have a very good team and players. We need to fight and play.’’

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, n i k o said:

“Personally I’m very happy, I’ve worked hard for this but when you score 23 goals and don’t win the league (it feels like) there’s something wrong"

Yes. We completely agree somethings wrong Bruno. 

Haha was gonna make a remark based on that part of the quote too.

As said before, they need 2 gun midfielders or 1 if Mooy stays. 

They also need to sort out the Novillo situation, either keep or find someone who can play close to Bruno. 

Oh, and fuk off JVS. 

If this doesn't happen,  we'll all be whinging about his dwindling return next season, because as seen recently, managers have worked out by double teaming him and Mooy, there is no class left to supply him properly... and with no supply and being double teamed, even he wont be able to deliver. 

Fornaroli's future in Melbourne City's hands not the FFA's

15 Apr 2016

Melbourne City will receive no help from Football Federation Australia to keep Bruno Fornaroli in the A-League.

The Uruguayan ace has lit up the competition this season, scoring an unprecedented 23 goals to help City to a top-four finish for the first time.

His season has merited a new deal and City have delivered, reportedly tabling a fresh contract to elevate his pay packet to marquee status.

Whether that's enough to keep the former Panathinaikos and Sampdoria ace in Australia is yet to be seen.

Either way, league chiefs won't be tipping in.

The creation of a 'marquee fund' was the centrepiece of a FFA strategic plan unveiled in February, designed to boost the A-League's star power.

But Melbourne City - or any other clubs - can't access it to help retain stars like Fornaroli that shoot to stardom once they've landed in Australia.

A-League chief Damien de Bohun said the multi-million dollar pot was for attracting new players with the biggest of names only.

"Bruno has been unbelievable, fantastic for the A-League this year," he said.

"He's a player we absolutely want to keep in the league and I'm sure Melbourne City do too.

"But the marquee fund is for global superstars."

The club's other marquee, Australia international Aaron Mooy, has his own future up in the air.

He is understood to be interested in returning to Europe at season's end, but has a lucrative deal with City should he decide to stay.

With Fornaroli yet to confirm his own future, it could mean both of City's marquee roles are filled - or vacant - for next season.

Late last year, Frank Lowy used his departure as long-serving FFA chairman to barb the newly cashed-up expansion club, telling them to invest in elite-level talent.

A four-game stint from Spain FIFA World Cup winner David Villa, now with sister club New York City, is as close as Melbourne City have come to date.

John van't Schip's side agreed to release their last international marquee, Robi Koren, from his contract early, so poor was his performance.

Should they decide to bring in a superstar like Villa on a longer deal, FFA is all ears.

"A club like Melbourne City that has the resources and the network to bring in someone who is a global superstar, the marquee fund may well be perfect for them," De Bohun said.

City host Perth Glory on Sunday afternoon in the club's first home final.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2016/04/15/fornarolis-future-melbourne-citys-hands-not-ffas

Oh, well done FFA. So typical. A 'fund for global superstars.' What 'global superstar' is going to come down here and play unless they're on their last legs?

More likely I'd say this new super-dooper fund is for any club other than Melbourne City.

26 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

Are people honestly getting upset that an organization worth 20 billion dollars are not getting any help from the FFA?

Not really. I fully expect FFA to introduce "means testing" of club owners soon.

46 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

Are people honestly getting upset that an organization worth 20 billion dollars are not getting any help from the FFA?

No not at all. It irks me that FFA has never been willing to help the club over the last 6 years but try to encourage us to bring in big players to show they're doing a great job. 

• Like 2

Fuck me, why does the FFA have to make everything so difficult?

It really doesn't have to be, look I'll figure this shit out for them for free, no need to pay me my regular $20k consultancy fee.

Say the FFA's 'marquee fund' for next season is $2m, while the combined salary of all marquees next season is $8m. Here comes the hard part, $2m/$8m = 0.25. There you go, the FFA subsidises 25% of each marquees salary. If the combined marquee salaries ends up being $10m, then 20% of all marquee salaries are subsidised. 

Or, if you want to give the clubs certainty with how much they pay rather than giving the FFA certainty, then just choose a percentage figure that the FFA subsidises which is budgeted as being affordable, whether it's 20%, 25%, 30% of the salary of every marquee in the league.

Any other system apart form those two is another retarded unfair bias system like everything else the FFA do, in b4 every marquee we sign doesn't count as being good enough but as soon as Sydney FC sign some bloke from the Montenegrin Premier League he gets all his salary paid by FFA.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 5

Fully agree it looks like the FFA are stuffing up the Marquee fund. One inherent problem is that the clubs with more resources in the first place--Sydney FC, Melbourne City, victory and WSW--are much more likely to sign players like Del Piero. So the net result is that clubs like Sydney FC will get their next Del Piero, so to speak, subsidised, whilst clubs like CCM and the Jets that can't attract big name footballers won't get a cent. Overall, the rich will get richer..

I agree that just paying an equal portion of marquee salaries for each club would be a much more fair and practical model.

8 hours ago, Murfy1 said:

Fully agree it looks like the FFA are stuffing up the Marquee fund. One inherent problem is that the clubs with more resources in the first place--Sydney FC, Melbourne City, victory and WSW--are much more likely to sign players like Del Piero. So the net result is that clubs like Sydney FC will get their next Del Piero, so to speak, subsidised, whilst clubs like CCM and the Jets that can't attract big name footballers won't get a cent. Overall, the rich will get richer..

I agree that just paying an equal portion of marquee salaries for each club would be a much more fair and practical model.

A better option would be to divide the fund amongst each club on a sliding scale with the lowest clubs on the ladder getting a greater amount. This would help those lower clubs and even out the competition.

10 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Not really. I fully expect FFA to introduce "means testing" of club owners soon.

I think this is a far better idea than an equal share to each club and one that i think unofficially happens.

Either way we should not be receiving a cent from the FFA

10 hours ago, n i k o said:

No not at all. It irks me that FFA has never been willing to help the club over the last 6 years but try to encourage us to bring in big players to show they're doing a great job. 

This is true. They really should have helped Heart more. But i think they saw Heart for what it was and had the attitude that if the owners had the money but were not willing to spend it, then they sure were not going to pick up the cheque

1 hour ago, mjake1234 said:

A better option would be to divide the fund amongst each club on a sliding scale with the lowest clubs on the ladder getting a greater amount. This would help those lower clubs and even out the competition.

I think I would prefer to see FFA assist expansion clubs in their first 2-3 years than to subsidise under-performing clubs year after year.

Overall, though, I think what the league and the clubs need, and desperately need, is clarity on the rules and regulations. Then owners and management - and indeed players - can make business decisions on a firm basis rather than on the shifting sands that exist today. I'm not even sure that if City Football Group knew what they know today that they would buy an Australian club as they did when they bought Heart. Particularly now that China has bought into CFG with the backing of "Gee-Gee" Ping who wants to make Chinese football a lot stronger. It seems that FFA has stood in the way of CFG every time City have tried to do something - and as pointed out, then has the temerity to tell us what we should be doing with our wealth to bring in the big names to prop up the league.

I doubt that CFG particularly cares about the "marquee fund" or a couple of hundred thousand here or there. But I think all the club owners, big or small, good or bad, deserve clarity on the environment in which they are expected to operate.

And so do we.

Edited by jw1739

• jw1739 locked this topic