Melbourne Football

Bruno Fornaroli - "El Tuna"

Murfy1

“It’s instinct. I don’t think too much, or say ‘I will put the ball here’, or ‘it’s just one game so I’ll try this’. You feel and play.

Pretty much sums up how the best players see the game. For them it's a game of patterns that are instantly recognisable and will position themselves almost unconsciously to make the most of the situation. But they need team mates that can at least see things in a similar way. Bruno needs smart players around him like Mooy to feed good balls. If there is a huge highlight this season it's watching this guy play - even if we get a shit win/draw here or there. He's worth the admission alone :up:

Edited by HEARTinator
  • Like 6

14 minutes ago, Rasputin said:

My fear is without mooy will be as effective.  How many of his 17 goals have been assisted by mooy?

I don't think its unrealistic to expect a player better than Mooy to replace him tbh. I know that sounds silly as Mooy has been unbelievable, but I reckon we'll call out the stops to nail Koren's replacement next season.

• Like 1

I know he plays for us and obviously I'm biased, but in reflection I think the goal he scored for us was the best ever A League goal.  Consider that, best ever on some many levels. 

This bloke is the player a championship side can be built around.

He hasn't missed a minute. I just cant understand why he couldn't cement a starting spot in Greece especially. 

Bravo Bruno!

Edited by Jovan

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

I don't think its unrealistic to expect a player better than Mooy to replace him tbh. I know that sounds silly as Mooy has been unbelievable, but I reckon we'll call out the stops to nail Koren's replacement next season.

40 minutes ago, Jovan said:

I know he plays for us and obviously I'm biased, but in reflection I think the goal he scored for us was the best ever A League goal.  Consider that, best ever on some many levels. 

This bloke is the player a championship side can be built around.

He hasn't missed a minute. I just cant understand why he couldn't cement a starting spot in Greece especially. 

Bravo Bruno!

I think that these two posts have nailed it. I can only speculate that in Greece he did not have someone like Mooy feeding the assists and controlling the game.

Which of course beings the question about Mooy's replacement if he departs at season's end. There may be more skilful international marquees but I wonder whether we can get a player who is likely to be in a downward trajectory who can match Mooy's engine. So what we have in Mooy is not only a good skilful player but also one that has a pretty big engine.

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

10 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

I think that these two posts have nailed it. I can only speculate that in Greece he did not have someone like Mooy feeding the assists and controlling the game.

Which of course beings the question about Mooy's replacement if he departs at season's end. There may be more skilful international marquees but I wonder whether we can get a player who is likely to be in a downward trajectory who can match Mooy's engine. So what we have in Mooy is not only a good skilful player but also one that has a pretty big engine.

I can't see us signing anyone of Mooy's class. If they are as good as he is and he can get a game in a decent team/league why would they come. Maybe an ex-star on their way down but they won't have his work-rate. Even if they could be found, I've seen nothing to indicate that CFG would even pay to have someone like that play. Koren's signing was a massively underestimation of the A-League and what it takes to dominate or even make an impact and the lack of  guest or replacement marque indicates to me that they are not likely to spend much on players.

On 7/6/2015 at 11:18 PM, stewmac said:

Based on his not so prolific goal scoring record , can't see him being anything but a spud based on some people interpretation that we play in a league akin the English Championship so the leagues he has played in are far inferior

In the age of green and red lines we live in

This is a prime example of a red line 

On 7/6/2015 at 11:31 PM, hakz7 said:

Will score 15 goals this season. You heard it here first.

And this is a very bright green line 

2 hours ago, neio said:

And this is a very bright green line 

On 6 July 2015 at 11:31 PM, hakz7 said:

Will score 15 goals this season. You heard it here first.

Wow. Don't even remember saying that! Could have boasted about it when he scored his 15th last week haha.

13 hours ago, HEARTinator said:

“It’s instinct. I don’t think too much, or say ‘I will put the ball here’, or ‘it’s just one game so I’ll try this’. You feel and play.

Pretty much sums up how the best players see the game. For them it's a game of patterns that are instantly recognisable and will position themselves almost unconsciously to make the most of the situation. But they need team mates that can at least see things in a similar way. Bruno needs smart players around him like Mooy to feed good balls. If there is a huge highlight this season it's watching this guy play - even if we get a shit win/draw here or there. He's worth the admission alone :up:

I agree, and so does Bruno:

• Like 1

23 hours ago, n i k o said:

9 hours ago, n i k o said:

Timage.gif.0bc545cea18e2da9b0921e98e21061

The number of times I've watched 'that' goal this morning

That goal was brilliant. Worth noting though Mooy's subtle move that create the small bit of space he needed to play in The King of The Tunas. The whole goal was class.

• Like 1

The False 9: Round 19 - Fornaroli manager sees marquee status as 'common sense'

By Greg Prichard

16 FEB 2016

Bruno Fornaroli's manager, Paddy Dominguez, sees it as "common sense" that the star striker will be elevated to fill the marquee player spot vacated by the recent departure from the club of Robbie Koren.

"It's not for me to try to tell Melbourne City what to do, but Bruno is contracted until the end of next season and I'd hope it would just be common sense he would be the player they would speak to about occupying that marquee spot," Dominguez told False 9.

"I'm sure Melbourne City would be aware that at the end of the season there will be a lot of clubs, Asian clubs in particular, who will take a lot of interest in Bruno, having seen him play in this part of the world. They have a spot available now Robbie is gone, so it seems like a natural progression."

Fornaroli is the A-League's leading scorer, with 17 goals. If City were to make him a marquee player there could possibly be the trade-off of him committing to a longer term at the club. What remains to be seen is whether the club moves on him now or waits until the end of the season.

"The marquee position automatically comes with a certain expectation financially, so it would be an automatic pay-rise for moving from within the cap to a marquee position," Dominguez said.

"It's up to Melbourne City, but I would expect they would like to have Bruno around not just for next season, but beyond that. They have been very positive about Bruno, so I would anticipate that eventually they will have talks in good faith with him with a view to extending the relationship."

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2016/02/16/false-9-round-19-fornaroli-manager-sees-marquee-status-common-sense

10 hours ago, belaguttman said:

28 minutes ago, Dylan said:

He has responded to the world game article saying that the agent in the article (who is quoted as Bruno's agent) issnt his agent at all and has nothing to do with him

Must be a secret agent.😕

26 minutes ago, [LIBBA] said:

Apparently from from what i heard of the Fox Football Podcast, they were hearing whispers that The Tuna could be in consideration for the Uruguayan National Team.

Make of that what you will.

If its true that would be a huge boost for the League, you can play here, do well, get noticed and have your form taken seriously.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, belaguttman said:

If its true that would be a huge boost for the League, you can play here, do well, get noticed and have your form taken seriously.

If it were to be true, its great for the league, but i'm not sure how great it would be for us. Puts him on the radar for either cashed up China or Europe.

If the CFG scouting network does it's job then we could be faced with this sort of thing on a regular basis. Let's face it, Australia is a pretty desirable place to live, especially Melbourne, and if only all our clubs could find wealthier backers then the quality and the prestige of the A-League could grow enormously.

• Like 2

Could not find anything in the Uruguayan press regarding being in consideration for the NT.

in the following article:

http://www.ovaciondigital.com.uy/futbol/tierra-canguros.html

He describes that the standard was better than what he expected upon arrival, the training is not as demanding as in Uruguay, lacks the South American flair, the team has quality, the A-League is more professional than the Uruguayan league. He says that things are going well but does not know whether it would mean a return to Europe but it could open the doors to China, Japan or Qatar; however he and his family are very happy living in Southbank and Melbourne ("living here is spectacular" but Latinos can be really hyperbolic). Interestingly he says that he did not come to City for the money but to open doors and see whether he can take another step in his career.

one thing I've found with the Uruguayan national team is that they obviously have an extremely talented first XI littered with world class players, but beyond that they don't have the greatest depth so you never know, Fornaroli might well be a smoky to make a 23-man squad (doesn't mean he'll play ahead of the likes of Cavani or Suarez)

• Like 1

With the right service,Bruno has the ability to beat a world class defender and score a world class goal.  So by that logic, he is good enough to perform at international level.  The problem for Bruno in terms of the Uruguayan national team is who sits above him.  Would he get a call up if he was an Aussie?  You'd think so.

• jw1739 locked this topic