Melbourne Football

Bruno Fornaroli - "El Tuna"

Murfy1

36 minutes ago, SHERLOCK said:

5 goals so far isn't bad. Just been starved last 2 matches. 

Don't get me wrong, I think he has been awesome and a real class player.

Just seen him a few times now over the past weeks take an extra touch to get to his right, or using the outside of his right, where going on his left would have resulted in getting a shot off much quicker. I think it's cost him a goal or two more.

• Like 1

Look at Enrique's goal from last night. His ultra quick touch from left foot to avoid melling and score was first class!

i guess tuna makes up for it with his physically on the ball

Edited by Jestr

5 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Does this mean that Germano is still around the club? IIRC he was delisted before El Tuna arrived in Melbourne. Of course it is possible that they were introduced by other players but it is also possible that he is employed by the club in some capacity.

He's been signed by Avondale so he'll be in Melbourne all of next year. 

On 20/11/2015, 22:53:48, rass said:

I'm concerned about his left foot...or lack of it....

I was too, but no longer. 

36 minutes ago, HEARTinator said:

Is there any doubt he is the best, most natural striker we have had in our short, shitty history? The poise in front of goal is sensational.

No 

Edited by dr lime

Was a super performance tonight. He deserved a hat trick. Slowly he's getting service to feet. I can't recall any high long  balls. 

Some of his turns and close control was top notch. 

He is a proper #9 and with Mooy just behind him the next 3 weeks are going to be interesting. 

48 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Was a super performance tonight. He deserved a hat trick. Slowly he's getting service to feet. I can't recall any high long  balls. 

Some of his turns and close control was top notch. 

He is a proper #9 and with Mooy just behind him the next 3 weeks are going to be interesting. 

I agree, he's the first real number 9 we've had since Bambi was playing for us, although I really wonder how Tadic would go in this team.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, HEARTinator said:

Is there any doubt he is the best, most natural striker we have had in our short, shitty history? The poise in front of goal is sensational.

Little doubt in my mind that he is. And he's not just a player hanging round the 6-yard box looking for tap-ins. His reading of Gameiro's run and positioning for the cut-back was superb. It's goals that the fans want, and Tuna, Novillo and Mooy are an exciting goalscoring trio.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bruno Fornaroli proving a smart acquisition for Melbourne City

Simon Hill

December 11, 2015

You can count on one hand the number of Uruguayans to have featured in the A-League.

Osvaldo Carro (Queensland Roar), Mateo Corbo (Newcastle Jets) and Francisco Usucar (Adelaide United) had only limited impact, and none stayed in Australia longer than a season.

But Bruno Fornaroli looks like a game changer. The Melbourne City striker hit the ground running, scoring twice against Heidelberg in the FFA Cup quarter-finals in just his second game. He’s now netted 10 goals in 12 games in competitive matches, and currently leads the golden boot race, ahead of cross town rival, Besart Berisha of Melbourne Victory.

Known as “El Tuna” (the prickly pear — due to his spiky hair), Fornaroli undoubtedly has the attributes typical to many South American strikers, although he also holds an Italian passport, due to his ancestry.

Deceptively strong, he uses his relative lack of height to his advantage, by getting in tight on opposition defenders, protecting the ball, then using his deft touch and explosive speed to “roll” off the shoulder, in search of the target.

It’s a tactic he exploited to the full in scoring a goal in the Melbourne derby, where Victory’s Matthieu Delpierre (rated as one of the league’s top defenders), was left for dead. Even then, he had much to do, but his pace and determination got him to the ball, fractionally ahead of goalkeeper Danny Vukovic.

Fornaroli’s technical ability, combined with his physicality, makes him an ideal fit for the A-League — and for City, who had been crying out for someone to lead the line, and provide the sort of goal output every team needs to win trophies.

His English remains faltering (as touchline reporter Michael Zappone will attest, after a tricky post-game interview on Fox Sports descended into questions in English, and responses in Spanish), but he is taking lessons, and having ex-team-Panathinaikos teammate, Kosta Barbarouses, across the road, helps.

“I contacted him to know more about the league and the lifestyle.” says Fornaroli.

“He told me about marvellous things here. He said Melbourne is a good place for me and my family — for lifestyle, good food and culture. He also said the league was growing, and that appealed to me.”

The City Football Group also did their homework. Before coming to Australia, Fornaroli spent time in England, training with parent club, Manchester City, under the watchful gaze of ex-Arsenal legend, Patrick Vieira.

There’s more than a touch of Luis Suarez about Fornaroli’s style of play — which shouldn’t really be a surprise. Suarez hails from the same city (Salto), and they were born in the same year (1987). Edinson Cavani, also born in 1987, and currently with Paris St. Germain, is another native of the city, on the north-western border adjoining Argentina.

Like Suarez, Fornaroli can be — as the nickname suggests — a prickly pear. Already, his fully committed approach has earned him three yellow cards. But his boyhood heroes weren’t the spiky sort of strikers Uruguay is famous for producing. In fact, they weren’t even Uruguayan.

“I used to admire Ronaldo (the “old” Ronaldo) and also Raul. But in particular, Ronaldo’s passing, shooting, positioning and attacking — everything about the way he played was great. He played to enjoy himself, every time he went out on the field.” says Fornaroli.

After a peripatetic career that has seen up and down spells in Italy (Sampdoria), Argentina (San Lorenzo), Spain (Recreativo de Huelva), Greece (Panathinaikos), Brazil (Figueirense), interspersed with spurts of form at home for Nacional and Danubio, Fornaroli appears to have found a home in Melbourne.

“I enjoy what I’m doing, and I think that is the most important thing. I like to score goals, but my main aim is to help the team. If I can set up a goal — good — if I can score, then it is an extra.” says Fornaroli.

That “extras” column is already bulging, prompted by the excellent form of Aaron Mooy and Harry Novillo. If it continues, then don’t be surprised if the paltry list of Uruguayans in the A-League starts to lengthen.

Salto might be a good place to start looking.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/bruno-fornaroli-proving-a-smart-acquisition-for-melbourne-city/story-e6frf4ju-1227642431392?from=public_rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Murfy1 said:

Bruno Fornaroli proving a smart acquisition for Melbourne City

“I enjoy what I’m doing, and I think that is the most important thing. I like to score goals, but my main aim is to help the team. If I can set up a goal — good — if I can score, then it is an extra.” says Fornaroli.

:up:   :up:  

Had to quote so as to get his mug shot into the story 

Edited by HEARTinator
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

he just can't stop scoring...only 3 goals away from tying Williams with 12 for (Heart/City) season top scorer!

Yep, it looks like only a matter of time before he surpasses Williams' club scoring record.

And at this rate Fornaroli is going to challenge the A-League record of 19 goals over a season, equally held by Smeltz (2009-10) and Berisha (2011-12).

8 minutes ago, Murfy1 said:

Yep, it looks like only a matter of time before he surpasses Williams' club scoring record.

And at this rate Fornaroli is going to challenge the A-League record of 19 goals over a season, equally held by Smeltz (2009-10) and Berisha (2011-12).

Oh yeah forgot to mention Bruno has already past City's first season highest scorer (Mooy with 7) in just 10 games...

11 minutes ago, Murfy1 said:

Do we count just the A-League or is it "All Competitions" Both Tuna and Mooy have 12 this season if you combine the league and cup.

Tuna is exactly the sort of player I would expect a visa player to be - in his 20s from a football-playing country and on the fringes of being a regular at the top level. Novillo being another example. Hats off to CFG for having this sort of player on their scouting list for the junior clubs in the CFG stable. Sure Mooy is a good player in his own right, but playing alongside players such as Tuna has helped him rise to a new level this season - you can't make those passes if the player isn't running off the ball. You can see other players such as Mauk (and Dekker in the pre-season) rising to meet the quality around them as well. This is why you have to get your visa players right, and why they are essential to raise the standard of the league.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Tuna is exactly the sort of player I would expect a visa player to be - in his 20s from a football-playing country and on the fringes of being a regular at the top level. Novillo being another example. Hats off to CFG for having this sort of player on their scouting list for the junior clubs in the CFG stable. Sure Mooy is a good player in his own right, but playing alongside players such as Tuna has helped him rise to a new level this season - you can't make those passes if the player isn't running off the ball. You can see other players such as Mauk (and Dekker in the pre-season) rising to meet the quality around them as well. This is why you have to get your visa players right, and why they are essential to raise the standard of the league.

JW, you're right.

This club is a joke.

Fold the club.

<END THREAD>

• Like 2

Some good insight here about the recruitment of Fornaroli:

Michael Lynch

December 14, 2015

[...]

Bruno Fornaroli, too, is proving the buy of the season. The Uruguayan has hit the ground running in Australia and is showing the sort of talent that brought him spells in the top flight in his native Uruguay, Argentina, Italy's Serie A and in Spain.

City officials have said that the transfer and scouting report on Fornaroli was the best they have had on a potential acquisition. If that is the sort of due diligence they can expect now they are becoming firmly embedded into the Manchester City-owned group's scouting system then that augurs well for their future.

The Uruguayan is not big, but he is quick of mind and nimble of foot, capable of bringing his teammates into the game or finishing sharply himself.

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/melbourne-city/melbourne-city-looking-the-goods-but-need-to-beat-top-teams-20151213-glmphd.html

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

• jw1739 locked this topic