Melbourne Football

Our next marquee....again (btw 1000th topic)

Baka1

TBH before thinking about who might be a marquee next season I'm wondering what the club is intending with respect to the five visa player spots on the roster. We're finishing the regular season with three effective visa players - Fornaroli, Novillo and Sorensen. Koren was such a disappointment, and Hughes has barely featured in the team. I wonder whether CFG will bother to fill the two available places?

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

TBH before thinking about who might be a marquee next season I'm wondering what the club is intending with respect to the five visa player spots on the roster. We're finishing the regular season with three effective visa players - Fornaroli, Novillo and Sorensen. Koren was such a disappointment, and Hughes has barely featured in the team. I wonder whether CFG will bother to fill the two available places?

Well Hughes has said he is fit but hasn't been selected. This tells me that he will be on his way at the end of the season.

7 hours ago, Kinnibari said:

Didn't some post elsewhere that Novillo was off? I think we'll only have Fornaroli and Sorenson (I am feeling positive about keeping Fornaroli, moved into a marquee slot.)

I'm sure we'll look to fill all the visa places next season.

If Novillo isn't with us next season it will have been our decision. He loves it here and doesn't want to leave.

21 minutes ago, JC22 said:

If Novillo isn't with us next season it will have been our decision. He loves it here and doesn't want to leave.

I`ve heard his pretty much on his last warning. The thing that came out in the media wasnt his first behavioral issue since his been here. So you are right it will be the club who says see you later as he does indeed love it here

• 3 weeks later...

Looked at www.transfermarkt.com/statistik/endendevertraege for free agents at the end of season (because that's what the off-season does to you) to look at potential marquee players. Decent near-realistic options who we've actually heard of and aren't 35+ y.o (midfielders/attackers):

- Tom Huddlestone

- Riccardo Montolivo (who was reported to sign a new contract soon)

- Rasmus Elm

- Ricky Alvarez

- Michu

16 minutes ago, hakz7 said:

Looked at www.transfermarkt.com/statistik/endendevertraege for free agents at the end of season (because that's what the off-season does to you) to look at potential marquee players. Decent near-realistic options who we've actually heard of and aren't 35+ y.o (midfielders/attackers):

- Tom Huddlestone

- Rasmus Elm

- Ricky Alvarez

- Michu

Surely we can use the money from Mooy's transfer, plus a little extra to actually buy someone rather then getting a free agent? Opens the possibility to many more potential marquees  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, haz said:

Surely we can use the money from Mooy's transfer, plus a little extra to actually buy someone rather then getting a free agent? Opens the possibility to many more potential marquees  

It has been rumored to be in the 4 million mark. I would give that to Fornarolli for 1 or 2 seasons before I'd go after another marquee...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hakz7 said:

- Tom Huddlestone

- Rasmus Elm

- Ricky Alvarez

- Michu

Never heard of them. Next

• Like 1

I'm happy if we can make Bruno a marquee and keep him here for another 2-4 seasons, but I don't think it's wise to expect him score as prolifically as he has done this season. Our second marquee (predicated on Mooy leaving) needs to be a no. 10,  someone who not only can dominate when things are going well for us, but also be a game-changer when we go behind. I don't really care whether that player is a "name" or not.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I'm happy if we can make Bruno a marquee and keep him here for another 2-4 seasons, but I don't think it's wise to expect him score as prolifically as he has done this season. Our second marquee (predicated on Mooy leaving) needs to be a no. 10,  someone who not only can dominate when things are going well for us, but also be a game-changer when we go behind. I don't really care whether that player is a "name" or not.

Yep.

Been thinking exactly the same thing, can we expect the same from Tuna if he stays? 

With the same coach, players and structures, I'd say no. Adelaide in particular showed the blueprint how to stop him and other teams will follow.

....but having said that, a player like Berisha has been here a while now and is still as prolific... and Tuna is 10 times the player he is, so he could just keep going as is. 

Bring in a new manager,  get a multi pronged attacking midfield to feed him and another gun forward to support him however and the sky really is the limit.

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Realistically he'll score fewer goals next season if Mooy goes, since Mooy leads the league for assists by some margin. Totally agree that we need a strong midfielder to fill that gap.

Will be interesting to see how Gamerio goes for us next season next to Fornaroli.

Expecting we'll sign Brattan to be a decent Mooy replacement in the middle, would still rather the club spend the marquee dollars on a quality right winger who can score 10 a season and give us an extra dimension in attack when Bruno or Harry aren't firing and then use the other foreign spot to sign a central midfielder with experience in Spain or Germany who will dictate the tempo of the game like Isias for Adelaide or Dimas at WSW

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HeartOfCity said:

For some reason i would like to see Keisuke Honda come to the A league and if we where playing asian champions league that would work well.

Would love to see him play for an A-League club, preferably MelbCity, but I checked on transfermarkt earlier this season and he was on about 8 million Euros, so even if he took a 25% cut down to six million Euros I cannot see the financials working. And I suspect that the FFA will claim he does not have enough recognition in the Oz market to be worthy of the Marquee Fund.

9 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

Would love to see him play for an A-League club, preferably MelbCity, but I checked on transfermarkt earlier this season and he was on about 8 million Euros, so even if he took a 25% cut down to six million Euros I cannot see the financials working. And I suspect that the FFA will claim he does not have enough recognition in the Oz market to be worthy of the Marquee Fund.

Your probably right about the $. Stuff the FFA as i dont think they would give Melb City any funding for players anyways. Also have noticed the ammount of support the ACL teams get when they come here. Maybe if he were to come then we would get a few more supporters from that region as surely he would be a household name in that neck of the woods.

8 hours ago, fiji19 said:

What would people think about Dario Conca being Aaron Mooy's replacement?

Do you think 
a - would he leave Shanghai SIPG

b - can we afford his wages

c - would he be able to play well here

d - is he worthy of a marquee wage/status

No way we could afford him. He is earning  11million usd per year in China

55 minutes ago, heart_fan10 said:

Technically we can afford him, depends on the limits CFG have set with our club

Given Koren was on under $1 million AUD and we didn't sign a marque to cover his absence I would be surprised if we were allowed much more than $1.5-2 million