Melbourne Football

Round 22: Sydney v. City, Friday 20 March 7.40 pm

jw1739

I don't understand the point of naming a squad on a Thursday. When you can just throw in two unnamed youth players last minute. I'm sure JVS's mind games by naming Marino, Williams & Novillo has really fkd with Graham Arnold's match plan. lol.

Sydney 3, maybe 4-1. Mooy or Germano to score.

• Like 1

so where's Harry and Willo???????? 

Williams did not recover from a "midweek injury" (what the ****ing hell do we do to in training to get injuries?) in time to make the trip, and Harry N. has been ill.

So WTF is Hoffman? Why do we pay this joker?

so where's Harry and Willo????????

Williams did not recover from a "midweek injury" (what the ****ing hell do we do to in training to get injuries?) in time to make the trip, and Harry N. has been ill.

So WTF is Hoffman? Why do we pay this joker?

seems like everyones wish is coming true and hoff is gone next season

• Like 1

I guessed 10 out of the starting 11 (only missed Novillo. Doubted he'd be so sick that the coaching staff wouldn't play him). Not bad on my part.

The back 5 is the same as last week, that kept a clean sheet. The back 5 (esp. with Chapman and Safuwan out) pretty much picks itself. Hoffman is out of favour and is dropped from the matchday squad again (not too surprised after his shocking substitute appearance against the Central Coast Mariners).

The midfield with Mooy and Germano did well last week, so they keep their places. But Kennedy out, so Koren starts as the no. 9 and Paartalu is a reasonable inclusion into midfield.

The front 3 is interesting. Unfortunately Novillo is out, with Fox Sports reporting that his absence is due to tonsillitis (so presumably he should be fully fit to go by next week). The Melbourne City Twitter account said "Williams did not recover from a midweek injury", so that explains his absence and why Dugandzic starts at RW. Brown is an interesting inclusion though. I guess Brown combined well from LW with Koren as striker when the team played Newcastle away, creating and scoring the 1st goal together. Also Brown played well away to Sydney FC in round 1. But still an interesting choice, and Ramsay maybe unlucky not to start (but at the same time when did Ramsay last start and play well? Much of a muchness really IMO, between starting Brown or Ramsay).

BTW, Zinni is a left sided midfielder or left winger. Saw him in pre-season, where he got some goals in the senior team and looked a decent player.

The team is a bit stretched due to player unavailability, so the match will be a test of the team's depth. Also our best players on paper, namely Mooy and Koren, need to produce quality performances. 

Edited by Murfy1

I guess 10 out of the starting 11 (only missed Novillo. Doubted he'd be so sick the coaching staff wouldn't play him). Not bad on my part.

The back 5 is the same as last week, that kept a clean sheet. The back 5 (esp. with Chapman and Safuwan out) pretty much picks itself. Hoffman is out of favour and is dropped from the matchday squad again (not too surprised after his shocking substitute appearance against the Central Coast Mariners).

The midfield with Mooy and Germano did well last week, so they keep their places. But Kennedy out, so Koren starts as the no. 9 and Paartalu is a reasonable inclusion into midfield.

The front 3 is interesting. Unfortunately Novillo is out, with Fox Sports reporting that his absence is due to tonsillitis (so presumably he should be fully fit to go by next week). The Melbourne City Twitter account said "Williams did not recover from a midweek injury", so that explains his absence and why Dugandzic starts at RW. Brown is an interesting inclusion though. I guess Brown combined well from LW with Koren at striker when the team played Newcastle away, creating the 1st goal. Also Brown played well away to Sydney FC in round 1. But still an interesting choice, and Ramsay maybe unlucky not to start (but at the same time when did Ramsay last start and play well? Much of a muchness really IMO, between starting Brown or Ramsay).

BTW, Zinni is a left wide midfielder or left winger. Saw him in pre-season and he looked a decent player.

The team is a bit stretched due to player unavailability, so the match will be a test of the team's depth. Also our best players on paper, namely Mooy and Koren, need to produce quality performances.

I remember when I used to be as optimistic as you. The performance of the defence last week has very little relevance to what will happen today, worst team in the league to the best team in the league, and a very top heavy best team in the league too. The good news is Jaliens and Kisnorbo are playing and IMO they are the best options against Janko regardless of who we have available.

Is Harry playing?? Gotta decide whether to put extra beers in the fridge for the impending celebration :up:

Beers back in the cupboard. And no Willo. Ugly is the word for the night.

Keep them in the fridge for the wake. I've already had 2 in the 10 minutes since I've seen the lineup....

• Like 1

I guess 10 out of the starting 11 (only missed Novillo. Doubted he'd be so sick the coaching staff wouldn't play him). Not bad on my part.

The front 3 is interesting. Unfortunately Novillo is out, with Fox Sports reporting that his absence is due to tonsillitis (so presumably he should be fully fit to go by next week). The Melbourne City Twitter account said "Williams did not recover from a midweek injury", so that explains his absence and why Dugandzic starts at RW. Brown is an interesting inclusion though. I guess Brown combined well from LW with Koren at striker when the team played Newcastle away, creating the 1st goal. Also Brown played well away to Sydney FC in round 1. But still an interesting choice, and Ramsay maybe unlucky not to start (but at the same time when did Ramsay last start and play well? Much of a muchness really IMO, between starting Brown or Ramsay).

BTW, Zinni is a left wide midfielder or left winger. Saw him in pre-season and he looked a decent player.

I remember when I used to be as optimistic as you. The performance of the defence last week has very little relevance to what will happen today, worst team in the league to the best team in the league, and a very top heavy best team in the league too. The good news is Jaliens and Kisnorbo are playing and IMO they are the best options against Janko regardless of who we have available.

The back 5 didn't retain their places just on the back of last week's performance of course. 4 of the back 5, Velaphi, Jaliens, Kisnorbo, Clisby, have earned their starting spots over the last handful of rounds, with mixes of these players helping the team keep 3 cleansheets over the past 5 games. Retre though seemed to get the nod over Hoffman in no small part due to last week's performance, and I reckon Hoffman hasn't impressed the coaching staff for a while (why Hoffman hasn't even made the bench for the last couple of games).

Wouldn't say I'm optimistic. I can just see the thinking behind picking this XI (especially when the unavailiable players, Kennedy, Novillo, Williams, Chapman and Safuwan are factored in). This match will be a test and we'll learn a fair bit about a number of players in Melbourne City's squad today, for better or worse.

This lineup just shows how wafer thin our depth really is. Our preferred first choice XI is competitive on its day but as soon as we have injury and the injuries seem to come in multiples instead of single payers, the quality of the starting XI and the bench plummets. In this case we may as well play some youth rather than the predictable failures that grace the bench weekly.

I think I'll go to the supermarket and do the shopping