Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

6 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Unless we change our style, we don't play with a #10, or creative midfielder. So looking at tradition 10s or playing with a 10 isn't what we have done.

My personal opinion is we are basically set and possibly will look at strengthening in January if needed and probably look at a Luna type if the midfield is struggling.

And before people arc up about no signings, they should look back at last season and there was a massive swell of opinion that our list wasn't good enough. 

Again I'm of the opinion that players we have a good enough list and the core 15 or so all have potential for improvement maybe except Maclaren who is probably in career best form.

Unless we have unusually high injuries we will have another amazing crack this season. 

What was that thread again? "Squad signing has been horrible?" And we did the double!

15 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

What was that thread again? "Squad signing has been horrible?" And we did the double!

Yep, and I've just gone back for a recap.

And pretty much the same feelings are surfacing.

I think every pre season even going back to The Heart days the yearning for a creative midfielder grows, and nothing wrong with that, but with our current style we actually don't need one.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Yep, and I've just gone back for a recap.

And pretty much the same feelings are surfacing.

I think every pre season even going back to The Heart days the yearning for a creative midfielder grows, and nothing wrong with that, but with our current style we actually don't need one.

If we look at the video clips from our matches we've got creative players all over the bloody place. Some of our movements have been a delight to watch. If the media saw the same moves from Manchester United, Chelsea etc. they'd be wetting themselves. People have got a fixation with the combination of "creative" and "midfielder" as if you cannot have creativity elsewhere on the pitch.

I'm very comfortable with the squad we've got.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

If we look at the video clips from our matches we've got creative players all over the bloody place. Some of our movements have been a delight to watch. If the media saw the same moves from Manchester United, Chelsea etc. they'd be wetting themselves. People have got a fixation with the combination of "creative" and "midfielder" as if you cannot have creativity elsewhere on the pitch.

I'm very comfortable with the squad we've got.

Same tbh but I always think bringing in visa players from overseas always adds a bit of flair to the team, I think we will bring in someone as I feel this season will be tough with FFA Cup most likely going whilst the season happens and we have the ACL this year and we are in the group stage. But if we can get a De Bruyne esk type of player who is excellent at set pieces, can pass the ball long and short and also score that would be excellent. Goals from the midfield could lack sometimes last season imo.

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

I’m confident there will be a signing within 24hours.

How can I be so confident given I’m under house arrest?

@jw1739has updated the squad!

@ShahangaBased on my current performance in the EPL Fantasy Football game I think the less said about anything I write about squad management the better!

8 hours ago, Shahanga said:

I’m confident there will be a signing within 24hours.

How can I be so confident given I’m under house arrest?

@jw1739has updated the squad!

Here’s a signing. Former  academy player Jordon Hall has re-joined the Club after two seasons for Green Gully

https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/city-sign-defender-jordon-hall?fbclid=IwAR0tYEWitPzjCpNjPBUjWRG60iRn7rN_AL-91TH8VhVnLC7Ok0GymX7CEDk

1 hour ago, CityBoyz said:

Here’s a signing. Former  academy player Jordon Hall has re-joined the Club after two seasons for Green Gully

https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/city-sign-defender-jordon-hall?fbclid=IwAR0tYEWitPzjCpNjPBUjWRG60iRn7rN_AL-91TH8VhVnLC7Ok0GymX7CEDk

Well done @jw1739! Interesting move. Definitely cover, but says something for the development value of the NPL, the extent to which we might be farming out and following our youth products, and perhaps also that our youth hopes in this position haven't quite come through as we hoped. Maybe they too need experience elsewhere before coming back...

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Theres been a bit of a hold up..... I'm hearing through the tea leaves that their having problems processing the visa.

The journey continues

The Feds in total disarray at the moment over Afghanistan and the shemozzle at Kabul Airport. No other visa applications will be being processed at this time - won't matter how long you've been waiting. Don't I know it.

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

The Feds in total disarray at the moment over Afghanistan and the shemozzle at Kabul Airport. No other visa applications will be being processed at this time - won't matter how long you've been waiting. Don't I know it.

Never been any different jw. By the time they got round to processing my PR a few years ago my police clearance had expired and I had to get it done again. As for the queue for citizenship... Immigration is a shambles, has been ever since Dutton took over, and hasn't improved since he left.

3 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

Theres been a bit of a hold up..... I'm hearing through the tea leaves that their having problems processing the visa.

The journey continues

Is he out of Quarantine yet? Or does he have to stay in Quarantine until his visa is approved?

2 hours ago, Zanty said:

Is he out of Quarantine yet? Or does he have to stay in Quarantine until his visa is approved?

Entering the country precedes quarantine. On all the international flights I've ever been on you won't even get on unless you have a visa for your destination country unless entry is visa-free).

Unless there is some other special provision I would have thought that he isn't even on his way yet. Or maybe he has arrived but with the wrong visa for a footballer...?

No-one will get any sense out of Immigration for the moment. They're too busy with Kabul.

Edited by jw1739

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Entering the country precedes quarantine. On all the international flights I've ever been on you won't even get on unless you have a visa for your destination country unless entry is visa-free).

Unless there is some other special provision I would have thought that he isn't even on his way yet. Or maybe he has arrived but with the wrong visa for a footballer...?

No-one will get any sense out of Immigration for the moment. They're too busy with Kabul.

kingofhearts said at the very end of page 447 that they are waiting to clear quarantine 

10 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

He's here.... But their seems to be visa problem's... I can't give anymore away in fear of revealing my source.

Long story short: it's a shamazole

I've updated the squad. Can't be long now...

I wrote and then deleted further comments on Immi. Suffice to say shambles.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, CityBoyz said:

Will have to be one of those as there’s the midfielders who are free agents. 

1DD26F68-A658-4399-AA0A-604647E2F572.jpeg

There is also a chance we could have even bought a player from another club, I have seen a few clubs starting to do that like Brisbane for their new striker and Perth for their new forward who is Spanish, also I believe kingofhearts said big name marquee if I am not wrong? That seems like Max Meyer, unless we have bought someone

Didn't actually say a big name marquee, and when you think about it, Leckie and Maclaren would probably be our two outside the cap. Hence, probably more likely Rzatkowski or Eisfeld, I think both Baumjohann and Hunt would be too old for us. Unless of course it's not a German at all

1 hour ago, Le Hack said:

Didn't actually say a big name marquee, and when you think about it, Leckie and Maclaren would probably be our two outside the cap. Hence, probably more likely Rzatkowski or Eisfeld, I think both Baumjohann and Hunt would be too old for us. Unless of course it's not a German at all

Yes, and I noted at the time that KoH used the phrase "of German ancestry" rather than "he's a German," said he had/has played in the Bundesliga a couple of times, which you can take literally or otherwise, so I took it that he could well not actually be "German" and might very well not be with a German club at all.

Al speculation of course.

I'll ask Michael next time he's with me...

2 hours ago, Le Hack said:

Apparently according to CCM CEO their is 2 marquees and 1 DP

87AEDAC6-36FA-40ED-ADC8-262F75EF06D8.jpeg

3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

@CityBoyz Are you saying that there definitely is a "Designated Player" now? What are the rules around that? I know it's been talked about before but I hadn't seen it in writing before your post.

Very interesting.

Well that’s what I’ve heard and is backed up by CCM CEO basically saying 3 marquees. 

theirs a technical difference but in essence it’s 3 marquees. 

I presume that the difference is that the "Designated Player" is a resurrection of the "Guest Marquee" aka "Cahill Rule." Possibly APL have to "approve" the player as well.

Could also be called the "Bums of Seats Rule" as well.

Favours the rich clubs I suppose, but if it increases interest then I'm for it.

12 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

Well that’s what I’ve heard and is backed up by CCM CEO basically saying 3 marquees. 

theirs a technical difference but in essence it’s 3 marquees. 

I wonder if that means those three extra 2nd tier marquee spots are not going ahead then with this new designated player spot.

11 minutes ago, malloy said:

I wonder if that means those three extra 2nd tier marquee spots are not going ahead then with this new designated player spot.

I'd missed this from back in June.

https://www.sbs.com.au/topics/sport/football/article/2021/06/10/league-ready-unleash-david-beckham-rule

This even mentions two additional players per club. I do wish that APL would get a website up and running. Fans need something to keep their interest. This is a huge change if true.

• jw1739 pinned this topic