Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

17 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

The only one we know for sure is JMac. 

If the newbie is really "exciting" then my guess would be that he is the second marquee. From my perspective I hope he's a bit more of a "bums on seats" player than the others.

But really it doesn't matter. They'll fit where they'll fit.

Surely Leckie is outside the cap? I remember seeing a Press Conference and someone asked PK about the new salary cap and PK said that Leckie is different because his wage is outside the cap.

2 hours ago, Zanty said:

Surely Leckie is outside the cap? I remember seeing a Press Conference and someone asked PK about the new salary cap and PK said that Leckie is different because his wage is outside the cap.

No idea. Wouldn't have thought that PK or anyone else would comment on that sort of thing.

15 minutes ago, Zanty said:

https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/video/press-conference-patrick-kisnorbo-190621

If you go to the timestamp of 7:54 PK talks about it.

Well, yes, I'll accept that but pretty quickly he reverts to the standard City tight lips about players' remuneration and doesn't want to say anything more. Something like "We were able to sign Mathew Leckie and we did."

But that was 19th June and now is now. We know when things were announced, but we don't know when decisions were actually taken. The cap has changed, the Designated Players have been approved, so who knows the precise current situation as to who fits where.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jw1739 said:

The only one we know for sure is JMac. 

If the newbie is really "exciting" then my guess would be that he is the second marquee. From my perspective I hope he's a bit more of a "bums on seats" player than the others.

But really it doesn't matter. They'll fit where they'll fit.

https://amp.theaustralian.com.au/sport/football/aleague-new-agreement-will-allow-clubs-to-spend-extra-money-outside-of-salary-cap/news-story/94a6f4c172de338d4e66d89d9745a1ec

1 player in 2021/22 and  the second in 2022/23.

4 hours ago, Jovan said:

@Jovan Thanks for the link. Good idea to take it in steps. Interesting to see which clubs take advantage of it. It's still going to be hard to combat the big money being offered elsewhere though. But IMO a good initiative for the league.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

@Jovan Thanks for the link. Good idea to take it in steps. Interesting to see which clubs take advantage of it. It's still going to be hard to combat the big money being offered elsewhere though. But IMO a good initiative for the league.

Totally agree. 

My only issue is as was previously the salary floor. 

Clubs must spend 90% of the cap (2.25mil) IMO gives blokes inflated wages when combined with playing squad numbers. 

My alternative would be 4 to 6  players outside the cap completely, which would include visa. Big problem is bringing in dud visa players under the cap.

But overall an improvement and another little sniff of finally the the game maybe moving in the right direction. 

Just need an announcement regarding the 2nd division to really align the pyramid.

Edited by Jovan

28 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Totally agree. 

My only issue is as was previously the salary floor. 

Clubs must spend 90% of the cap (2.25mil) IMO gives blokes inflated wages when combined with playing squad numbers. 

My alternative would be 4 to 6  players outside the cap completely, which would include visa. Big problem is bringing in dud visa players under the cap.

But overall an improvement and another little sniff of finally the the game maybe moving in the right direction. 

Just need an announcement regarding the 2nd division to really align the pyramid.

@Jovan I don't think the PFA will easily give up the caps and minimums because they know that that will spell the end of mediocre local players playing in the League. 

I think the A-League journeymen and general recycling of players has actually started to thin a little bit. 

Last season was unreal with regards to how many young kids got a decent crack, and unsurprisingly the calibre of matches was as good as it's ever been in our competition. If anything, the extra cap space + raised floor will hopefully mean we can play those young starlets what they're worth to keep them in the A-League a little while longer before they inevitably depart for Europe. 

Either way, the investment is only a good thing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Nate said:

I think the A-League journeymen and general recycling of players has actually started to thin a little bit. 

Last season was unreal with regards to how many young kids got a decent crack, and unsurprisingly the calibre of matches was as good as it's ever been in our competition. If anything, the extra cap space + raised floor will hopefully mean we can play those young starlets what they're worth to keep them in the A-League a little while longer before they inevitably depart for Europe. 

Either way, the investment is only a good thing.

Without much research i would suggest we played way more games in cooler temperatures and this for me was probably the major reason for the higher quality of games.

And yes not having those "older journeyman types" gave space for kids, and I reackon each team had 1 or 2 exciting yoof.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Without much research i would suggest we played way more games in cooler temperatures and this for me was probably the major reason for the higher quality of games.

And yes not having those "older journeyman types" gave space for kids, and I reackon each team had 1 or 2 exciting yoof.

This too, for sure

42 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Did we have any home matches that were divided into quarters? I can't remember.

I'd not want the AL full of overseas players. A few is great, but predominantly this is the peak league in Australia, and should have largely Australian players (however precisely that is defined). I want to see the youngsters come through and stay long enough to make an impression, and I want the quality and rewards to be enough to attract Australians back from overseas, as McLaren and Leckie have been. Sure, there are a fair few journeymen, but TBH there are in any league. We just notice them more because they move between a small number of clubs. The league is improving, for all of the reasons discussed above.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jovan said:

My guess is that Maclaren and Leckie are marquees then maybe our new international midfielder will be that 1st Designated Player, I am guessing Nabbout is inside the cap as that deal was done ages ago before any of the Designated Player stuff came out.

• Like 1

On 09/09/2021 at 3:48 PM, CityBoyz said:

I would say Nabbout would be one of the 300-600k players imo.

And Leckie + Maclaren are the unlimited but that’s just a guess leaving us 1 spot to fill in the 300-600k bracket 

Your logic is impeccable.

It’s worth remembering this is the A League rules. Melbourne City will also have a budget, which may still have room in it, or it may not. We all think they have 600k left for the “New Luna” but who knows.

In the last few years we’ve got better at scouting. 600k doesn’t guarantee a fantastic player (see Koren) but the odds of getting a poor one diminish. Im hopeful, put it that way.

We can have only one "designated player" outside the cap in 2021-22. If it's Nabbout, then we can't have another.

2 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Your logic is impeccable.

It’s worth remembering this is the A League rules. Melbourne City will also have a budget, which may still have room in it, or it may not. We all think they have 600k left for the “New Luna” but who knows.

In the last few years we’ve got better at scouting. 600k doesn’t guarantee a fantastic player (see Koren) but the odds of getting a poor one diminish. Im hopeful, put it that way.

Absolutely correct about our budget. Our "New Luna" (do we call him "New Moon"?) signing may well pre-date the "designated player" category.

TBH I don't know why we actually worry about what player fits where, although I've been guilty of it in the past. We don't pay the wages.

• Like 3

Looking at free agents midfielders on Transfermarkt and as a Hull City supporter there's a few previous players who would give some interest. Apart from Ben Arfa, there's Gaston Ramirez, Robbie Brady, and Mo Diame. Probably Brady and Ramirez would be the one's you'd target, reckon Ben Arfa and Diame at 34 are too old. Notice Wilshere still hasn't got a club although he's probably MLS bound.

2 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Nah he’s not German, we only want German midfielders 

Aaron Mooy's birthname is Aaron Kuhlmann (link to article below incase ppl think wikiwas edited recently).

Kuhlmann is of german origin I believe..

https://www.news.com.au/sport/football/a-league/melbourne-city/melbourne-city-star-aaron-mooys-family-values-ground-a-player-whose-career-is-set-for-take-off/news-story/961937a402a506d0527a2079db5b14f0

33 minutes ago, malloy said:

Aaron Mooy's birthname is Aaron Kuhlmann (link to article below incase ppl think wikiwas edited recently).

Kuhlmann is of german origin I believe..

https://www.news.com.au/sport/football/a-league/melbourne-city/melbourne-city-star-aaron-mooys-family-values-ground-a-player-whose-career-is-set-for-take-off/news-story/961937a402a506d0527a2079db5b14f0

I remember him having a Dutch passport 

3 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I remember him having a Dutch passport 

I believe his mother is dutch and likely where his surname Mooy comes from. Whilst his dad is described as being Australian presumably he has German heritage with the nam Kuhlman.

KoH said the midfielder was of german decent not that they were german. If Mooy has any german heritage then he does fit KoHs description (as would numerous ither midfielders).

I don't think Mooy is getting much game time currently throw in talk of his marriage being strained because of being in China and possibly some pressure from GA to find a club for guaranteed game time for 2022 WC it doesnt seem outside the realm of possibility that he could come back to us.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, malloy said:

I believe his mother is dutch and likely where his surname Mooy comes from. Whilst his dad is described as being Australian presumably he has German heritage with the nam Kuhlman.

KoH said the midfielder was of german decent not that they were german. If Mooy has any german heritage then he does fit KoHs description (as would numerous ither midfielders).

I don't think Mooy is getting much game time currently throw in talk of his marriage being strained because of being in China and possibly some pressure from GA to find a club for guaranteed game time for 2022 WC it doesnt seem outside the realm of possibility that he could come back to us.

Detective you! Didn’t KoH also say he has played in Germany?

I like the idea but of course would be nice to get him for a full season.

Edited by Mr MO

1 minute ago, Mr MO said:

Detective you! Didn’t KoH also say he has played in Germany?

I like the idea but of course would be nice to get him for a full season.

You are correct, due to my excitement at the possibility of signing Mooy I forgot about that.

So maybe its not happening.

Scrolling back through the thread KoH also mentioned the player was already here, but there was a visa issue. I can't imagine Mooy would be having visa issues, maybe getting back, but not visa issues.

This has brought my mood back down a bit.

• jw1739 pinned this topic