Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

17 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

I am hearing he is of German descent, he's played in the Bundesliga once or twice, and has a sick YouTube montage.

Get excited guys!

Hey guys I’m new around here! Happy to have found a spot to talk to other City Fans!

Max Meyer sounds like the one tbh! Would be a great signing! Don’t think it would be Baumjohann he’s 34 and doesn’t fit the long term philosophy we have.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Zanty said:

Hey guys I’m new around here! Happy to have found a spot to talk to other City Fans!

Max Meyer sounds like the one tbh! Would be a great signing! Don’t think it would be Baumjohann he’s 34 and doesn’t fit the long term philosophy we have.

Welcome!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Zanty said:

If it is him I’d been interested to see how he fits in the cap. Surely he would have some big wages? Unless Leckie is somehow in the cap? Even though he failed in the EPL he still did very well in the bundesliga with Schalke.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.thesun.co.uk/sport/13762146/crystal-palace-max-meyer-contract-wage/amp/

would have to take a massive pay cut was on £170k a week  

2 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

Went to FC Koln after that so I would imagine he would’ve taken a significant pay cut going to that club aswell. Other player I could see it being is Marko Marin, 32 Years Old and seems a tad more realistic 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

We do this to our starlets on a regular basis. Players look as though they have the world at their feet and end up scrambling around in the NPL. Even at club level we need to be careful - for example with Tilio and Cola.

It’s a bloody tough business. For every Timmy Cahill* there’s 20 Paul Reids*
* Not even (what is now) NPL interest as a youth prospect 
** At the AIS rated by the experts as “better than Kewell”

46 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

It’s a bloody tough business. For every Timmy Cahill* there’s 20 Paul Reids*
* Not even (what is now) NPL interest as a youth prospect 
** At the AIS rated by the experts as “better than Kewell”

Kamal Ibrahim, Kristian Sarkies...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

They're possibly safer in quarantine....

This is true. But I have been deprived of Melbourne City signings for too long and I saw an interview saying we had a couple of new players coming in and I wonder who they are and why they haven’t been announced.

6 minutes ago, Deluka said:

Daily Oz Football reporting that we and Western United are showing interest in Rukavytsya.

He’s good but surely surplus for us?

He's a pure centre forward isn't he? So will be stand in for Jmac.  He is 34 already.

I was thinking, would Leckie be suited in this league as AM, essentially replacing Luna? If so, I can see us bringing another winger/forward.

Edited by Mr MO

1 minute ago, Deluka said:

Daily Oz Football reporting that we and Western United are showing interest in Rukavytsya.

Surely his manager trying to get a better deal from Western United.

Given how few leaks come out of City and that Rukavytsya appears to be surplus to requirements, I am highly sceptical that we are interested.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Deluka said:

https://www.sport5.co.il/articles.aspx?FolderID=64&docID=380398&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sport5&utm_content=rss#0_8_4231_3392_844_232039460

there’s the link 

29 minutes ago, HughJass said:

Been linked to almost half the league 

Don’t believe this rumour least position we need reinforcement and linked with half the league. Agent trying to manufacture something imo. We need a high profile and proven attacking midfielder that’s really all that we need desperately  

1 minute ago, CityBoyz said:

Don’t believe this rumour least position we need reinforcement and linked with half the league. Agent trying to manufacture something imo. We need a high profile and proven attacking midfielder that’s really all that we need desperately  

Michael Petrillo on Twitter liking comment saying paper talk you knows it’s false 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

Michael Petrillo on Twitter liking comment saying paper talk you knows it’s false 

Definitely agent bullshit. 

Don’t know why we’d go after a 34 year old who will only block the path for the likes of Tilio, Colakovski, Atkinson (if played forward) and even Raphael and the other academy players.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Harrison said:

Definitely agent bullshit. 

Don’t know why we’d go after a 34 year old who will only block the path for the likes of Tilio, Colakovski, Atkinson (if played forward) and even Raphael and the other academy players.

Agree.  Counter to everything strategic that we've heard from the club lately. Would be a pointless signing with Leckie, JMac and Nabbout already on board.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CityBoyz said:

I am really hoping that we get some actual signing announcements in the next few weeks, Apparently Metcalfe has been linked with a move to Spain so that is a bit concerning.

34 minutes ago, Zanty said:

I am really hoping that we get some actual signing announcements in the next few weeks, Apparently Metcalfe has been linked with a move to Spain so that is a bit concerning.

Metcalfe was paper talk nothing definitive and Atkinson doesn’t look like leaving back in Melbourne which is a good sign. But yes we need some signings not a lot but 1-2 definitely a bonafide attacking midfielder 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CityBoyz said:

Metcalfe was paper talk nothing definitive and Atkinson doesn’t look like leaving back in Melbourne which is a good sign. But yes we need some signings not a lot but 1-2 definitely a bonafide attacking midfielder 

imo the signings we need are

GK: someone who can compete with Glover

Backup Left Back

Backup Centre Back

Attacking Midfielder

8 hours ago, Zanty said:

Backup Left Back

Backup Centre Back

Attacking Midfielder

I’d actually just get a back up left back who can play in the centre at a pinch and another imported box to box midfielder.

im not sure we look much of a destination now (opposite of last year) with no end to lockdowns on the horizon.might mean we have to pay overs, though presumably we’ll just sign a couple of introverts.

8 hours ago, Zanty said:

Backup Left Back

Backup Centre Back

Attacking Midfielder

In terms of who've we've got 'waiting in the wings' in the youth team.

GK : Sutton + Ahmad Taleb, I think Sutton is a capable back-up for the A-League currently, is he a long term replacement for Glover if he decided to leave? Unsure.

Left Back : Jordan Bos - played very well in the previous pre-season and always looks a stand out at youth level. Entirely untried at Senior Level.

Centre Back : Mills + Stokes - always look very capable at youth level, but neither have grabbed their chance at a senior level and have been given a few shots each, it's a position that rarely favours younger players, so probably worth addressing, I'd say.

Attacking Midfielder : I think we had one of the better youngsters in Australia at this position (Bernardo Oliveira), but we're well served with Borges Rodrigues and Tilio at this spot - I'd really like to see Tilio given first shot at this position. 

3 hours ago, Shahanga said:

I’d actually just get a back up left back who can play in the centre at a pinch and another imported box to box midfielder.

im not sure we look much of a destination now (opposite of last year) with no end to lockdowns on the horizon.might mean we have to pay overs, though presumably we’ll just sign a couple of introverts.

I'm not sure that Casey Fields is much of an attraction either. I can't see a player's family being over-enthusiastic about living in that area, or a player driving down there every day. They'd be lucky to get home before the curfew.

Time will tell.

12 hours ago, Zanty said:

Backup Left Back

Backup Centre Back

Attacking Midfielder

Believe there are a few npl players trialing for some of the spots but not sure if they were allowed to due to restrictions coming in around the same time 

1 hour ago, HughJass said:

Believe there are a few npl players trialing for some of the spots but not sure if they were allowed to due to restrictions coming in around the same time 

Well, that's the way I read into the whole Casey Fields thing - setting ourselves up to find the talent we need for the future from a growing area of Melbourne - but not exclusively of course - and bringing them through the Academy into the seniors and then... wherever. A growing emphasis on domestic/Melbourne/local players and a diminishing one on imports.

Edited by jw1739

6 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I'm not sure that Casey Fields is much of an attraction either. I can't see a player's family being over-enthusiastic about living in that area, or a player driving down there every day. They'd be lucky to get home before the curfew.

Time will tell.

I feel like there is lots of nice areas in the south east so people shouldnt have a problem finding a place where at the worst they would be driving 30-40 mins to training, which a lot of footballers do all around the world.

9 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Maybe bring up Jordan Bos as a backup to be an understudy of Jamo, 

A lot of clubs are still bringing in international players so it does not seem too much of a problem. But we definitely need a visa attacking midfielder, we have Metcalfe, O'Neill, Berenguer, Lesiotis, Tilio in that midfield atm but I think City are trying to turn Tilio into a Winger maybe?  Tilio imo does not have that ball playing ability that the midfielders who we bring in have. I just want some new signings tbh!!

To aid discussion it might be useful to look at the confirmed list as it stands.

image.png.2224123b0a89bb50f5252e7f2e4ee80b.png

In terms of young players we have 7 scholarship players who are already members of the senior squad. They are there because they are considered good enough to do the job if required.

I can't see that there is much room for additional players - maybe two at most - and if they are intended to be starters who are we going to push out? We're intending to observe international breaks this year, so we won't be losing players as we did before.

Edited by jw1739

Being perhaps unduly optimistic, give it a couple of months and we won't be much worse than most places in the world. We'll be largely vaccinated, there will be some covid in the community, and we'll be opening up. I'm not sure it has that much impact on whether we'll be able to recruit from overseas. 

Unless we change our style, we don't play with a #10, or creative midfielder. So looking at tradition 10s or playing with a 10 isn't what we have done.

My personal opinion is we are basically set and possibly will look at strengthening in January if needed and probably look at a Luna type if the midfield is struggling.

And before people arc up about no signings, they should look back at last season and there was a massive swell of opinion that our list wasn't good enough. 

Again I'm of the opinion that players we have a good enough list and the core 15 or so all have potential for improvement maybe except Maclaren who is probably in career best form.

Unless we have unusually high injuries we will have another amazing crack this season. 

• Like 4

• jw1739 pinned this topic