Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

8 hours ago, silva10 said:

I would really like to see us go for Mitch Nicholls from WSW. He would give us that drive in midfield we are sorely missing. Offer a swap for Brattan.

I'd easily prefer Bratts over Nichols. 

Bratts is a great player who has been flat recently. Nichols goes through significant form slumps also.

8 hours ago, silva10 said:

I would really like to see us go for Mitch Nicholls from WSW. He would give us that drive in midfield we are sorely missing. Offer a swap for Brattan.

Reckon bratts is playing injured and cant be 100% fit especially coming back from his year of eating around england. Give him time, maybe we'll see his best soon if not next year. I never used to mind nicholls but this year ive gone off him.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, haz said:

I'm worried that we will do nothing in this window due to the manager issue etc.. and we'll be left behind while other teams strengthen. I still haven't even heard or seen any rumors yet relating to us.

What can we do unless one or two players exit? Injury replacements for Gameiro and Kuzi, because the cap doesn't come into play there, but otherwise we need someone to leave. IMO we have to do it with the players we've got.

There are two ways of looking at the opportunity that Valkanis has been given. The first is to turn our results around in spectacular fashion and be genuine contenders for the Premiership. The second is that he has been given the poisoned chalice.

7 minutes ago, neio said:

Josh Risdon has informed Perth he won't be there next season,  if he isn't heading overseas he should be seriously looked at

12 months ago he was a definite overseas transfer but he hasn't been as good this season,  so you never know 

Have read he's received a good offer which he'll accept from a team on the eastern seaboard. 

TBH I don't think we need to change the squad all that much. We're stuck with Cahill this season because of the agreement with FFA, but he's clearly not able to work with Bruno - next season we won't have to play him. We need to strengthen the back line (for the third season in a row...), but by far the most important change will be a decent manager. For the first time in our history.... I'm afraid I don't believe this "mandated from Manchester" theory, because it just doesn't make sense (to keep spending money for no return), and I'm looking forward to a manager who has the nous to play the football required to win as many matches as possible.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, playmaker said:

I honestly believe if we play Tim and Bruno side by side it could work, but it would mean a change in tactics, which I think is the main issue with the partnership not working.

You honestly believe that in a different formation Timmy's work rate will go up? His average skills (air exception) will remain the same.

In the Adelaide game, Bruno decided to shoot instead of setting up play with Cahill, Bruno just knows the ball will be lost. A 442 formation requires two forwards to combine even more.

Every team Cahill has played for, he has gone missing for large parts of the game and the simple footwork he needs to do goes wrong. This league requires 11 players to put a decent performance in every game against every opponent. We just can't compensate for that.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

You honestly believe that in a different formation Timmy's work rate will go up? His average skills (air exception) will remain the same.

In the Adelaide game, Bruno decided to shoot instead of setting up play with Cahill, Bruno just knows the ball will be lost. A 442 formation requires two forwards to combine even more.

Every team Cahill has played for, he has gone missing for large parts of the game and the simple footwork he needs to do goes wrong. This league requires 11 players to put a decent performance in every game against every opponent. We just can't compensate for that.

I don't think it's that black and white that Tims work rate or skill level is in question that much. There are far bigger problems with our system as a whole that is affecting not only him but the rest of the team.

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, n i k o said:

I don't think it's that black and white that Tims work rate or skill level is in question that much. There are far bigger problems with our system as a whole that is affecting not only him but the rest of the team.

I agree there are deeper problems.

I was merely talking about our attack. Last season we had Mooy and Harry who could hold the ball with them, nobody was afraid to pass to each other and combine.

Next game just have a look at Cahill's his first touches and turns, we over turn a lot of good balls in prime positions. I've noticed that certain players like Brattan and Cacares avoid playing him in on the ground, with the result that they are getting blamed for being on the ball too long.

54 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

While I agree with you in part, ultimately Tim's role is to score goals. IMO if both were on the defences shoulders, in an acceptable structure and tactic then I can't see why it wouldn't work. Both Bruno and Tim are very smart in front of goal but they haven't had many real chances to combine.

6 minutes ago, playmaker said:

While I agree with you in part, ultimately Tim's role is to score goals. IMO if both were on the defences shoulders, in an acceptable structure and tactic then I can't see why it wouldn't work. Both Bruno and Tim are very smart in front of goal but they haven't had many real chances to combine.

I'm sure we've actually conceded less goals that the same stage last season. The big problem this season is with our attack, we are scoring much less and have much lower efficiency that we had last season. We do need to improve our defence but the problem is more acute as we are only reliably scoring 1 goal a game this season. Its unreasonable to expect even a League best defence to keep a clean sheet every game and at this stage of the season we are so far behind that we have to, we really need to concentrate on improving our attacking efficiency

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

I'm sure we've actually conceded less goals that the same stage last season. The big problem this season is with our attack, we are scoring much less and have much lower efficiency that we had last season. We do need to improve our defence but the problem is more acute as we are only reliably scoring 1 goal a game this season. Its unreasonable to expect even a League best defence to keep a clean sheet every game and at this stage of the season we are so far behind that we have to, we really need to concentrate on improving our attacking efficiency

Agree, hence your views on our problem with attacking transition which I agree is our biggest issue. Fix that issue and you fix the time and space compression in our forward third which reduces our scoring efficiency and makes us vulnerable on the counter, which BTW is all our own doing.

IMO Tim and Bruno up front with more space would work.

Edited by playmaker
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Yes, that's true. This time last season (actually after Round 15 on 16th January 2016) we had scored 37 goals and conceded 26.  We had won 7, drawn 4, and lost 4, for a 7-4-4-37-26 record. This season we stand at 6-5-4-24-20. Last season we were 4th at this point, this season 3rd.

All depends how you look at it suppose. I would argue that we've learned little or nothing from last season despite what is overall a better squad. I don't think that I would mind so much if I saw more meaningful analyses coming out of the club, but all I see there is just meaningless drivel, and IMO that makes me feel worse.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

What have your sources been saying about Lampard?

I don't have any "sources", but the last I saw from the man himself (on his departure from NYC) is that he would announce his future plans "very shortly." Since then I've seen nothing.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic