Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

With all the support resources at our disposal I would have thought that we would have had all this sorted by now.

If ever we need a good solid start to the season it's this season.

We have six squad places still to fill, including two visa places and an Australian marquee...but we seem to be hearing a lot about new sponsorship deals and partnerships, and promos for Manchester City.

• Like 2

To Melbourne City and Georgios Samaras is the hot tip to take up their Australian marquee spot. Negotiations are ongoing. Meanwhile, Aaron Mooy is still being courted by overseas clubs and with a year on his contract left to run, City may look to take advantage of a transfer fee, rumoured to be in the vicinity of $400,000.

I agree that deals for our squad should be finalised by now.. I now that the transfer window is still open so agent are taking their time to negotiate. Regardless preseason training has started and we need the full squad training and gelling well before the season starts. The game against Manchester City I must admit I was impressed with our showing (again I felt Koren was out shown by Retre, Novillo, and Triffero.) 

but! I don't want to hear the same excuses from JVS come Rd.1 about the team coming together late, or we need time to gel.. 

Melbourne City needs a solid start to the season with strong performance to build momentum.. 

No More Excuses I Say😠

• Like 2

If that is the case that he is looking overseas, he is worth a lot more than 400k surely, by far our best player and debatable that he is the best player in the league, and the backlash to the club for selling him that cheaply would be disastrous.

Also in that article, seems as if Eli Babalj is on his way to Adelaide, would anyone have been interested in having him back again?

but! I don't want to hear the same excuses from JVS come Rd.1 about the team coming together late, or we need time to gel.. 

Unfortunately I think we will. With the current 20 signings and injury list we don't actually have a match-day squad without calling on some of our youth team players - "amateurs" as van 't Schip (rather ungenerously) described Wade Dekker - and we could easily be bumped out of the FFA Cup if we're not very careful.

I just don't feel we're using the CFG connection well enough TBH. We played the whole of last season without a decent central striker and I would have thought we should have had that fixed long ago; if we were thinking that Kennedy was going to come good then we were delusional - everyone in AAMI Park could see that the guy couldn't go on any longer. We seem to be spending a fortune on the back-room stuff but our signings so far are OK but in all honesty not a lot to get excited about.

Not sure on the legality of that. There is always some clause regarding the place where the contract can be signed and which jurisdiction gets to be an arbiter in the event of breaches or misunderstandings. So maybe the FFA has a standard clause demanding that all contracts be signed in Australia and the jurisdiction shall be the state of NSW. It is certainly something that I would demand since the FFA is the guarantor of the contract.

Wouldn't be an issue. I'm currently reading a text book on Contract Law. You can sign a contract anywhere in the world that will be subject to NSW Law as long as it's expressly stated that that's what the agreement will be subject to.

Juric being chased by Perth apparently.

Mooy is worth a fuckload more than $400k, Adelaide just sold Mabil for $1m+, the guy has some flashy touches but went to the same finishing school as Mauk.

Juric will probably never be able to get over the fact he turned down that Chinese money. I'm sure perth will make him their Australian marquee and overpay him, but I'd be surprised if he can even sleep at night thinking about the money he gave up for nothing.

Mabil is 19 years old. Mooy is 24. A large part of the transfer fee is for potential.

For me the worry is not losing Mooy, it's that I don't trust JVS, JD, or anyone in the football department to replace a player like Mooy with quality..

For 5 yrs know neither banana has been able to sign a top notch Striker while Brisbane got Barisha, Sydney got Jenko, Perth got Keon, WSW got Juric, Victory has had Archie, Adelaide have Djita.. Etc and who have we had.. Nothing but rubbish 

• Like 3

Juric will probably never be able to get over the fact he turned down that Chinese money. I'm sure perth will make him their Australian marquee and overpay him, but I'd be surprised if he can even sleep at night thinking about the money he gave up for nothing.

ange, cahill and craig moore talked him out of it

would be perths only striker wouldn't he

Please explain. The blokes good, but for that much they payed WAY too much for him imo

1. Still young

2. Homegrown player for CL

3. More important, an English player

4. An English player with talent, extremely rare

5. Shit English players go for retarded transfer fees, how can anyone argue he isn't worth the money when you look at the fees paid for lesser English players

6. If he develops into a world class player (which he can given age and ability), not only aren't there many truly world class players in the EPL (compared to La Liga and so called lesser leagues like Bundesliga and Serie A), he would be an English World Class player. I'm not sure if you remember the last time there was a world class English player, but Beckham is still probably a bigger name than most current footballers.

Could be worth £200m in a few years.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

£49million for Sterling.

chuck in another 50m in wages for the next 5 years

beckham is more of a fashion icon than a sporting icon 
sterling has all the ability to become world class but seriously needs to ditch his cockhead agent, or if he really is that stupid will waste it all

chuck in another 50m in wages for the next 5 years

beckham is more of a fashion icon than a sporting icon 
sterling has all the ability to become world class but seriously needs to ditch his cockhead agent, or if he really is that stupid will waste it all

The point I'm making is that: English teams prefer English players, unfortunately talent is limited, while English clubs have the most money. Therefore English players will have really high values, as we've seen many times. Add to that that English players are more marketable, at the very least in the UK (2nd largest economy in the world where soccer is a national sport) and other English speaking countries, if Sterling did become a world class player he would be worth a huge amount in terms of marketing alone, much like Beckham.

Just look at the kind of fees being muted for Bale, even though he isn't English (though close enough), he is from an English speaking country which makes him more marketable in those countries (especially the UK).

Edited by Tesla

In Europe amortisation is the name of the game.. B)

Take Sterling for example. the transfer cost is £44m +£5m eventual add ons.
Which gives us a transfer cost of £8.8m +£1m (eventually) p.a
So at most we are looking at approx £16m-£17m p.a in total costs including wages.

Funny thing is of course that if he does ok and City want to cash in on him after 4 years and sell him for say the same money City will show almost a £35-40m profit on the sale, less loyalty bonuses of course but anyway.

So going off the most reliable source of information there is (Wikipedia), transfer window closes next Friday for A-League.

Does this only apply to certain transfers or do clubs have to have a final list by next Friday (31st)?

If so, should really get our fucking skates on.

Edited by HOLLYWOOD
  • Like 1

So going off the most reliable source of information there is (Wikipedia), transfer window closes next Friday for A-League.

Does this only apply to certain transfers or do clubs have to have a final list by next Friday (31st)?

If so, should really get our fucking skates on.

The transfer window does not apply to players who are free agents; they can be signed at any time. I doubt that we're looking to pay a transfer fee for any player, and if that is the case therefore the window won't apply.

• jw1739 pinned this topic