Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

ffs I wish we'd sign Samaras just to stop people insisting we sign him every transfer window.

I can't see how we will be able to. Isn't he going to Barcelona?

To Barca? Lol Surely, that is a joke or a 1% speculation that was leaked in the media

Oh Tony, I hate having to explain my jokes.  On this forum in the past an over enthusiastic fan of Samaras was trying to convince us that "all" of Barcelona's fans wanted them to sign him.  In my view they just might too, if they get relegated, assuming he has finished painting the stadium at the Hawthorns.

I don't know much about Samaras but this over the top adulation of him is causing me, to, quite unfairly really, hate him.

Edited by Shahanga
  • Like 1

ffs I wish we'd sign Samaras just to stop people insisting we sign him every transfer window.

I can't see how we will be able to. Isn't he going to Barcelona? To Barca? Lol Surely, that is a joke or a 1% speculation that was leaked in the media

Oh Tony, I hate having to explain my jokes. On this forum in the past an over enthusiastic fan of Samaras was trying to convince us that "all" of Barcelona's fans wanted them to sign him. In my view they just might too, if they get relegated, assuming he has finished painting the stadium at the Hawthorns.

I don't know much about Samaras but this over the top adulation of him is causing me, to, quite unfairly really, hate him.

Samaras is shite. But I get where some people are coming from. Played in Europe, has Australian citizenship, is Greek and has a sick beard

I can't see how we will be able to. Isn't he going to Barcelona? To Barca? Lol Surely, that is a joke or a 1% speculation that was leaked in the media Oh Tony, I hate having to explain my jokes. On this forum in the past an over enthusiastic fan of Samaras was trying to convince us that "all" of Barcelona's fans wanted them to sign him. In my view they just might too, if they get relegated, assuming he has finished painting the stadium at the Hawthorns.

Samaras is shite. But I get where some people are coming from. Played in Europe, has Australian citizenship, is Greek and has a sick beard

And looks like Conchita Wurst

Steve-Angleseys-3PM.jpg

Edited by fidrildid6

Think we need to take a look at how the visitors have done their recruitment, stock up on quality foreigners in the attacking third and have 4/5 youngsters on minimal wages allow you to spend the extra on bringing the best quality players in possible. Rather than having a number of squad fillers (Mate, Ramsay, Williams, Hoffman, etc) who's job could be done by younger players for a fraction of the wage.

• Like 1

Jaliens to be released this week. 

I would think so now.

I can't see us going anywhere in the "finals." I almost hope we don't. Because I don't want the realities of the season to be clouded by a win or two right at the end.

The squad and coach clearly don't have the right set of mental and footballing attributes to be competitive over a full season.

I fear that if we don't take this opportunity to clear out as many as we can we will be pretty much the same next season as well.

• Like 1

Recall hearing an interview with Ange a few weeks ago.  He said there were two things you really need in the HAL to give yourself the best opportunity for success: 

1. Get yourself a good coaching staff

2. Make sure you get your foreign and marquee signings right

How outrageous!

Think we need to take a look at how the visitors have done their recruitment, stock up on quality foreigners in the attacking third and have 4/5 youngsters on minimal wages allow you to spend the extra on bringing the best quality players in possible. Rather than having a number of squad fillers (Mate, Ramsay, Williams, Hoffman, etc) who's job could be done by younger players for a fraction of the wage.

In terms of the younger players I think we probably have done that. Mauk, Garuccio, Melling, Chapman, Marino. Retre has surprised. Even if we go to the 22-23 bracket we could include Safuwan, Clisby and Novillo. None of these players should be on big dollars, and all of them are/were quite capable of slotting into the side if they've got 9-10 solid other players around them.

Injuries have played a big part in the season, but that's no excuse for the attitude issues that we've seen.

The problem is that it is the established players who have let us down or been found wanting - exceptions being Mooy and Kisnorbo.

The table does not lie, and a couple more weeks and we would have been overtaken by Brisbane. We finished where we did because that's all we were good enough to do. If we want to finish out of the bottom four next season the actions that have to be taken are quite obvious to everyone. All that's in doubt is whether CFG have the balls to do what is required and when they might do it.

Recall hearing an interview with Ange a few weeks ago.  He said there were two things you really need in the HAL to give yourself the best opportunity for success: 

1. Get yourself a good coaching staff

2. Make sure you get your foreign and marquee signings right

How outrageous!

Easier said than done. If you have ever had to build a team and lead them you will realise that spouting cliches is the easy part, finding the right mix of people that can work together is the hard part. In this, I think that Ange excels.

With all contract talks on hold, that sends a message that all players coming out of contract have an uncertain future... From a supporters point of view it's a positive because there are so many players who have been given heaps of opportunities to perform and haven't done so...

Reading all the articles it seems to me that the club will make some significant changes to the playing group. The biggest question for me is.. What will happen with JVS? If the club persist with him we run the risk of sacking him mid way through next season, if the inconsistencies continue.

With all contract talks on hold, that sends a message that all players coming out of contract have an uncertain future... From a supporters point of view it's a positive because there are so many players who have been given heaps of opportunities to perform and haven't done so...

Reading all the articles it seems to me that the club will make some significant changes to the playing group. The biggest question for me is.. What will happen with JVS? If the club persist with him we run the risk of sacking him mid way through next season, if the inconsistencies continue.

I don't really see the risk associated with that.

The big risk I see is that if he is with us through the off-season he will re-sign and sign players who are not what we need to improve, and fail to fill key positions. As he did last time around.

Next major announcements should be whose leaving.

I would like to think so but I am not optimistic. What is likely to happen once the formality of the club being eliminated from the finals will be that some players will be told immediately that they will not be at the club next season; some players will be left on hold until the club finds either replacement for them or the new contract will have sufficient guarantees for the club to jettison them mid-season if they are not to expectation (eg Germano); and then of course will be whether JvS will continue with the club or not. Personally before the players are told who is exiting or not, the club should make a clear statement of intent regarding the coaching position.

Although I dont like saying this, the longer we go on like this and the longer the visitors are winning trophies, the harder its going to get to ever get a decent fan base and crowds. The odds were always stacked against us and we always shoot ourselves in the foot piss farting around and with 5k crowds

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 5

Next major announcements should be whose leaving.

I would like to think so but I am not optimistic. What is likely to happen once the formality of the club being eliminated from the finals will be that some players will be told immediately that they will not be at the club next season; some players will be left on hold until the club finds either replacement for them or the new contract will have sufficient guarantees for the club to jettison them mid-season if they are not to expectation (eg Germano); and then of course will be whether JvS will continue with the club or not. Personally before the players are told who is exiting or not, the club should make a clear statement of intent regarding the coaching position.

Don't think so. If we haven't identified who we would like at the club for next season then it's already too late. We are already running about one month behind the usual timetable because of the Asian Cup break. Those not being offered new contracts will be told immediately; some may already have been told (by all accounts that's what happened at the end of S2). Those who are to be offered new contracts (let's hope that's an absolute minimum or none at all) will commence negotiations.

Only CFG know what will happen with van 't Schip. As I've said before, I suspect he will still be with us next season. I shudder to think about it and hope I'm wrong.

Although I dont like saying this, the longer we go on like this and the longer the visitors are winning trophies, the harder its going to get to ever get a decent fan base and crowds. The odds were always stacked against us and we always shoot ourselves in the foot piss farting around and with 5k crowds

I'm beginning to wonder whether CFG actually understand this? One would think that our local management (Munn etc.) should have apprised them of this, as should the Storm ownership partners. Today the Visitors drew over 22,000 to AAMI Park, while yesterday City were "lethargic" in their match against Adelaide (that's the official way of saying we were crap and didn't look as though we were interested).

This

• Like 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic