Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

Would try get thwaite, maclaren, marinkovic from Perth if they are "legally able to walk out". Have I missed anyone who's worth getting? Maybe Vukovic to.contest with Tando?

Reports are saying we've been showing or we were showing some interest in Galekovic.

Edited by n i k o

A look at the table suggests that our defence is on a par with the teams above us - just 34 goals conceded in 25 matches. and only a couple of goals or so more than the top five. It's our goals scored - 34 - that shows where our weakness is. To me that says where our recruiting focus should be. Yes we can always improve other areas with a prudent signing or two, but there's no need for major changes in the back half of the team.

Post Asian break we could be almost top 2 or 3 best performing sides. The forum is super critical and never happy and by the way that's not a problem either.

All we need in our remaining games is a couple more goals. Where are they going to come from?

Next season if we can land a dominant striker we can seriously challenge.

Galekovic potential singing is interesting. I actually think it's a good avenue to pursue.

So all up if we can have the best two bookends in the League then even the weakest coach should have some success.

• Like 3

I think I'm right in saying that from now on, apart from Redmayne, there are no legacy issues to deal with from the Sidwell/Aloisi eras. From here on it's CFG and van 't Schip who are accountable for the squad that we put together for next season and beyond.

• Like 1

I think I'm right in saying that from now on, apart from Redmayne, there are no legacy issues to deal with from the Sidwell/Aloisi eras. From here on it's CFG and van 't Schip who are accountable for the squad that we put together for next season and beyond.

I consider JVS a legacy issue from the Sidwell era.

• Like 3

Would love to see the club sign a player like Lujic, a genuine striker to give us cover when Kennedy is out instead of shunting Koren or one of our wingers up top. You just have to look at Sydney who have Janko, Smeltz and Gamiero who are genuine strikers, then Brosque can do a good job up there as well if needed. 

You don't score 20+ goals in the NPL 2 seasons in a row for different teams if you're a hack.

But unfortunately he's not a winger or a box to box midfielder so JVS won't be interested.

Would try get thwaite, maclaren, marinkovic from Perth if they are "legally able to walk out". Have I missed anyone who's worth getting? Maybe Vukovic to.contest with Tando?

Reports are saying we've been showing or we were showing some interest in Galekovic.

One of the last Falcons players still in the A-League. I think John Hutchinson and some bit part striker at another Melbourne club are the only ones left.

Still quality, as Eugene showed against Sydney a few weeks ago. Sign him up!

MILOS LUJIC

is this the lad who gave the 3 finger salute to the Melbourne Knights supporters last weekend ???

Completely untrue.

He copped a lot of shit from mcf being a Serb and all but he isn't that stupid.

Plus he's still alive.

Off topic, but I am curious. Is the BBB still around or part of the MCF? I have not been around those parts for quite a few years.

Again other clubs being linked with players before the end of the season with none apparently coming our way. Visitors with McLaren and Perth with Golec.

You would think that with Melbourne's lack of striking threats, a player like McLaren would be heavily linked. But no. Instead he may be on his way to the Navy blue, and we have high and wide Willo and stay at home Josh. You couldn't make this stuff up.

Again other clubs being linked with players before the end of the season with none apparently coming our way. Visitors with McLaren and Perth with Golec.

You would think that with Melbourne's lack of striking threats, a player like McLaren would be heavily linked. But no. Instead he may be on his way to the Navy blue, and we have high and wide Willo and stay at home Josh. You couldn't make this stuff up.

Just because there is media speculation it doesn't make it a done deal. Portaloo was heavily linked with Newcastle but ended up here (to the disappointment of many). I'd wait and see what happens before judging to much.

Since the takeover the people who run the club have systematically lessened the amount of Melbourne City transfer targets known and discussed in the media. They've effectively plugged all the leaks.

As the above post says, it was speculated for several weeks that Paartalu would join Newcastle, and then he was suddenly announced as a Melbourne City player. I reckon future signings will be similar, with next to no rumours in the media and just sudden announcements. I'm pretty sure Man City supporters told us after the takeover that's how things would be as well.

Ultimately I'm fine with that, as long as the club signs the right quality players. But still I don't think it would hurt if we were thrown a breadcrumb or two, and learnt about one or two serious transfer targets of Melbourne City. It would be nice to know that people at the club are working hard behind the scenes to make things bigger and better for next season.

• Like 1

Since the takeover the people who run the club have systematically lessened the amount of Melbourne City transfer targets known and discussed in the media. They've effectively plugged all the leaks.

As the above post says, it was speculated for several weeks that Paartalu would join Newcastle, and then he was suddenly announced as a Melbourne City player. I reckon future signings will be similar, with next to no rumours in the media and just sudden announcements. I'm pretty sure Man City supporters told us after the takeover that's how things would be as well.

Ultimately I'm fine with that, as long as the club signs the right quality players. But still I don't think it would hurt if we were thrown a breadcrumb or two, and learnt about one or two serious transfer targets of Melbourne City. It would be nice to know that people at the club are working hard behind the scenes to make things bigger and better for next season.

They operate the same way at Manchester City but with us being only season ticket holders and not members we have even less chance of having anything other than a customer relationship with franchise management

^^ They haven't promised us anything more than what they are delivering though. Members input is sought via surveys and representative groups though to give some insight into the club's fan insight.

CFG operate the way they do and we need to understand that's just the way they do things. Expecting that to change is likely lead to frustration, so we either just get on with supporting the team or move on if we just can't wait for things to change.

• Like 1

^^ They haven't promised us anything more than what they are delivering though. Members input is sought via surveys and representative groups though to give some insight into the club's fan insight.

CFG operate the way they do and we need to understand that's just the way they do things. Expecting that to change is likely lead to frustration, so we either just get on with supporting the team or move on if we just can't wait for things to change.

Agreed.

We're going to have to get the recruiting right for next season, that's for sure. Even after we actually release a few players and sign a few new ones we're going to have our hands full wondering what to do with the spuds we can't get rid of - Redmayne, Williams, Hoffman, Koren, Kennedy for starters - there's five roster places already occupied thank you very much leaving not a lot of room to move for the matchday squad.

Nevertheless IMO Murf is right on one point about communications. They don't have to be about prospective signings - I can understand that we might want to keep those under wraps so that someone else doesn't step in with a better offer - but surely the following are examples of where it would have been more than reasonable to expect some sort of formal acknowledgment from the club:

- the Villa fiasco;

- the departure of our former NYL captain Ross Archibald;

- the coming and going of Manchester City EDS midfielder James Horsfield;

- the extension of our captain Patrick Kisnorbo's contract for season 2015/16.

I don't think it matters whether we're season-ticket holders, members, or anything else. How the club can think that it was not appropriate to formally advise us of the above is completely beyond me.

• Like 4

Nevertheless IMO Murf is right on one point about communications. They don't have to be about prospective signings - I can understand that we might want to keep those under wraps so that someone else doesn't step in with a better offer - but surely the following are examples of where it would have been more than reasonable to expect some sort of formal acknowledgment from the club:

- the Villa fiasco;

- the departure of our former NYL captain Ross Archibald;

- the coming and going of Manchester City EDS midfielder James Horsfield;

- the extension of our captain Patrick Kisnorbo's contract for season 2015/16.

I don't think it matters whether we're season-ticket holders, members, or anything else. How the club can think that it was not appropriate to formally advise us of the above is completely beyond me.

You can add injuries to the young guys to your list to JW, plus Saf's extended stay in Singapore.

With all these things all you have to do is ask how would one of the well run AfL clubs have handled it?

We are so far behind its not funny.

There is one thing that you have overlooked - whether the players themselves want their contract details or their personal reasons being disclosed to the general public. AFL players have a strong belief (understandably) about their privacy. So although I agree that more information needs to be forthcoming I am also aware that there are genuine limitations.

• jw1739 pinned this topic