Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

• 2 weeks later...

Purely speculative - what is Diamanti's role at Melbourne City? Yes, I know he coaches the NPL1 side and in the A-League he makes the quip that he is an Australian citizen now. But let's face it - given that Vidmar is not up to the task, I wonder whether the club is waiting for Diamanti to get some experience under his belt before he makes the leap to seniors.

42 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

Purely speculative - what is Diamanti's role at Melbourne City? Yes, I know he coaches the NPL1 side and in the A-League he makes the quip that he is an Australian citizen now. But let's face it - given that Vidmar is not up to the task, I wonder whether the club is waiting for Diamanti to get some experience under his belt before he makes the leap to seniors.

They are after someone with experience and a good track record of working with youth players.

1 hour ago, HughJass said:

Well wonder if this why city haven't signed any foreigners yet... https://x.com/aleaguemen/status/1821667768128925854?t=jQQB8UVZ55TQmRZu6LHn_w&s=19

Auckland have already signed Paulsen from Bournemouth 

They quickly rushed out a statement that the Caceras rule is under review change and subject to final approval, all on the same day that Paulsen was announced.

Posted (edited)

The Caceres Rule was designed to stop this circular transfer route. Somehow we are on the wrong end of stick on these sudden changes of rules.

It never prevented direct transfers from outside the A-League.

Edited by jw1739

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, neio said:

Manchester City are interested in buying every talented Australian under 25 and then loaning them back to us.

Watch the rule change back quick smart.

Surely Auckland will get caught by the "loan inside the salary cap" rule unless Paulsen is a marquee or designated player?

We really are a Mickey Mouse league...

Edited by jw1739

36 minutes ago, HughJass said:

Well Rugari is now reporting hasn't even been approved yet by FA https://x.com/VinceRugari/status/1821678491362062536?t=unOjg7dD24PwbBhoNLTzEg&s=19

I hope that they disallow it. Any decision like this should be done well in advance, for example it could apply next season, because clubs are continually searching for new players and possible transfers in. Otherwise, clubs that have already signed players are disadvantaged. Clubs don't stop scouting, some transfers have already occurred, some are in the pipeline, and it doesn't matter who is affected - City or any of the other clubs - it's unfair.

My recollection is that this was the problem with Caceres, Lampard etc. - knee-jerk reactions at the time.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, neio said:

You know what fixes all of this, just allowing transfer fees between aleague clubs

Exactly!! I thought that this had been agreed - what happened?

I don't subscribe to the view that A-League clubs are financially irresponsible and need all these nanny rules. IMO none are going to deliberately go out of business. It's like parents who won't let their children play outside because they might just hurt themselves. 

It would be no big deal IMO to allow clubs to ask for a fee if another club wants a player under contract.

40 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I hope that they disallow it. Any decision like this should be done well in advance, for example it could apply next season, because clubs are continually searching for new players and possible transfers in. Otherwise, clubs that have already signed players are disadvantaged. Clubs don't stop scouting, some transfers have already occurred, some are in the pipeline, and it doesn't matter who is affected - City or any of the other clubs - it's unfair.

My recollection is that this was the problem with Caceres, Lampard etc. - knee-jerk reactions at the time.

Most of the clubs requested this change back in March already, so perhaps it’s not a surprise for some.

What is odd is the rushed announcement that the change is considered on the same day as Paulsen is announced.

Massive embarrassing disconnect between the FA and APL.

Edited by Mr MO

2 hours ago, HughJass said:

Well Rugari is now reporting hasn't even been approved yet by FA https://x.com/VinceRugari/status/1821678491362062536?t=unOjg7dD24PwbBhoNLTzEg&s=19

But that would mean that CFG have bought A-league players in the last 2 seasons or so, and now they are looking to loan them to us? I can’t think of any.

Edited by Mr MO

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Exactly!! I thought that this had been agreed - what happened?

I don't subscribe to the view that A-League clubs are financially irresponsible and need all these nanny rules. IMO none are going to deliberately go out of business. It's like parents who won't let their children play outside because they might just hurt themselves. 

It would be no big deal IMO to allow clubs to ask for a fee if another club wants a player under contract.

I have a foggy memory of something with transfer fee's from the NPL, I think it was something like A league clubs have to pay a mandatory fee, but I don't think it's much, 20k or something.

2 hours ago, Mr MO said:

But that would mean that CFG have bought A-league players in the last 2 seasons or so, and now they are looking to loan them to us? I can’t think of any.

I might have been thinking of it as football group ban not a aleague player specific. 

2 hours ago, moops said:

20k or something.

10k I think 

2 hours ago, moops said:

I have a foggy memory of something with transfer fee's from the NPL, I think it was something like A league clubs have to pay a mandatory fee, but I don't think it's much, 20k or something.

I can't see why it can't be a free market. Anything between a free transfer or what the purchasing club is willing to pay. If the selling club is not prepared to accept then the transfer doesn't happen.

Administrators need to get out of micromanagement. I have been through all this stuff before I retired. Micromanagement just leads to layer after layer of management each layer claiming to do the same things and poking their fingers in where they don't belong. One very common outcome is that the whole organisation goes into fibrillation mode because no-one has the final authority to actually make a decision

APL and then FA should focus on the big picture.

The more levels of management you have the less efficient the organisation is and more resources are wasted. 

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I can't see why it can't be a free market. Anything between a free transfer or what the purchasing club is willing to pay. If the selling club is not prepared to accept then the transfer doesn't happen.

Administrators need to get out of micromanagement. I have been through all this stuff before I retired. Micromanagement just leads to layer after layer of management each layer claiming to do the same things and poking their fingers in where they don't belong. One very common outcome is that the whole organisation goes into fibrillation mode because no-one has the final authority to actually make a decision

APL and then FA should focus on the big picture.

The more levels of management you have the less efficient the organisation is and more resources are wasted. 

Whole heartedly agree, it's the old criticism of health and safety comities. If they made everything safe, they would be out of a job, so they add shit that makes everyone's life more difficult to make it seem like they are doing something, but all they are doing is keeping their job in perpetuality.

2 hours ago, HughJass said:

I might have been thinking of it as football group ban not a aleague player specific. 

10k I think 

Wowsers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NewConvert said:

If this is true, then that means we have signed two visa players without clubs. So no transfer fee. He better be a lot better than Terry Antonis.

You would hope he is an upgrade on Antonis at the very least! I still don't get why we didn't keep Terry, with the lack of depth we are going to have this season he would have been very handy...🙄

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

You would hope he is an upgrade on Antonis at the very least! I still don't get why we didn't keep Terry, with the lack of depth we are going to have this season he would have been very handy...🙄

Presumably, we didn't keep him because the last demanded someone who was a starter. We rarely had the full 90 minutes last season. It's a shame though

4 hours ago, NewConvert said:

If this is true, then that means we have signed two visa players without clubs. So no transfer fee. He better be a lot better than Terry Antonis.

Kuen has a reasonable CV. The Greek Super League and the Austrian Bundesliga are 14th and 15th in the UEFA rankings. At least he isn't a Socceroos has-been...but I don't see him as being a patch on Arslan.

2 hours ago, belaguttman said:

Presumably, we didn't keep him because the last demanded someone who was a starter. We rarely had the full 90 minutes last season. It's a shame though

Yeah that may have been the case, however at least to come off the bench would have been very handy. 

26 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Kuen has a reasonable CV. The Greek Super League and the Austrian Bundesliga are 14th and 15th in the UEFA rankings. At least he isn't a Socceroos has-been...but I don't see him as being a patch on Arslan.

It will be a fair time before we find another Arslan calibre player I'd assume...

13 hours ago, NewConvert said:

As a side issue, the last time the A-League had a side with so many young players and with older players that did not cost any transfer fees was when Clive Palmer owned the Gold Coast club.

My recollections are that it is unusual for an A-League club to pay an out-and-out transfer fee? Surely almost all, possibly all, of the overseas players who come here are either out of contract with their overseas club, i.e. a free agent, or on a loan basis?

8 hours ago, jw1739 said:

My recollections are that it is unusual for an A-League club to pay an out-and-out transfer fee? Surely almost all, possibly all, of the overseas players who come here are either out of contract with their overseas club, i.e. a free agent, or on a loan basis?

There is a difference between out of contract and getting offers from the club or other European clubs (e.g., Arslan) vs we are not renewing your contract and you are now free to hawk yourself around the world.

4 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

There is a difference between out of contract and getting offers from the club or other European clubs (e.g., Arslan) vs we are not renewing your contract and you are now free to hawk yourself around the world.

There may be a difference, but a contract is a contract, and a player is bound to his club only for the length of his contract. And as far as I am aware there is nothing preventing him from signing a contract with another club for the following season and completing his contract at his existing club. Andrew Redmayne did exactly that when he signed with us for the following season whilst still playing for Brisbane.

So there is no transfer fee involved in either case. Transfer fees apply only when  the player wants to leave while he is still under contract.