Melbourne Football

The Manager and Assistant Coaches Thread

Tesla

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting comment from Daniel Lévy on why he appointed Ange Postecoglou at Spurs

"who understood our DNA, would play attacking football, that would give young players a chance, believe in the academy, would build a relationship with the fans and understand the resources that we have and don’t have as a club and be part of a team."

Sounds exactly what we want from our coach, club and players

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, mjake1234 said:

Interesting comment from Daniel Lévy on why he appointed Ange Postecoglou at Spurs

"who understood our DNA, would play attacking football, that would give young players a chance, believe in the academy, would build a relationship with the fans and understand the resources that we have and don’t have as a club and be part of a team."

Interesting that Munn is there as well. Forget what position, but senior.

29 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Interesting that Munn is there as well. Forget what position, but senior.

Chief Football Officer - I would be very surprised if Munn was not a massive advocate for Ange in the process, but it's hard to tell if he would have had any capacity to work on that role (though reading between the lines, Munn had an absolutely torrid time trying to get out of the CFG, I imagine they really wanted to keep him and saw him as hugely valuable, quite different to how he was seen by a lot of people on this forum!)

https://theathletic.com/4884888/2023/09/21/scott-munn-tottenham-football-officer/

15 minutes ago, Tommykins said:

Chief Football Officer - I would be very surprised if Munn was not a massive advocate for Ange in the process, but it's hard to tell if he would have had any capacity to work on that role (though reading between the lines, Munn had an absolutely torrid time trying to get out of the CFG, I imagine they really wanted to keep him and saw him as hugely valuable, quite different to how he was seen by a lot of people on this forum!)

https://theathletic.com/4884888/2023/09/21/scott-munn-tottenham-football-officer/

Do you know what the problem getting out of CFG was? 

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Do you know what the problem getting out of CFG was? 

Entirely don't know, but I imagine Munn has a very good working knowledge of the CFG model and some of the things it's done very well and was seen as a rising star of the group, so I imagine it was just a matter of making sure every t was crossed and every i was dotted on the way out so both parties were satisfied.

15 minutes ago, Tommykins said:

Entirely don't know, but I imagine Munn has a very good working knowledge of the CFG model and some of the things it's done very well and was seen as a rising star of the group, so I imagine it was just a matter of making sure every t was crossed and every i was dotted on the way out so both parties were satisfied.

@Tommykins Do you know whether he was actually in China? It's bloody difficult to get money into and out of China.

20 hours ago, mjake1234 said:

I think that this was more of a reaction to the previous two managers, Mourinho and Conte, both of whom had none of those qualities and actively blew it up.

• 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Sack Guardiola anyone....?

CFG is thinking of replacing him with PK. Guardiola's using too many subs.

Seriously though, I get the City way of playing football but I don't get PK and Rado reluctance to use subs. Guardiola uses subs. In all games this season so far:

0 subs used 1 game

1 sub used 1

2 subs used 0

3 subs used 5

4 subs used 2

5 subs used 1

Of those subs used

45-60 mins 4

61-75 mins 9

75-80 mins 4

81-85 mins 5

85+ mins 5

Not all like for like either with sometimes defenders replacing midfielders or wingers, so I'm really perplexed as to why the two Australian coaches play with minimal subs. Isn't Guardiola's Man City meant to be the template

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Le Hack said:

Not all like for like either with sometimes defenders replacing midfielders or wingers, so I'm really perplexed as to why the two Australian coaches play with minimal subs. Isn't Guardiola's Man City meant to be the template

Especially in the A-League where the squads are small, and the need to try minimise injuries to the best 11 players is a big concern! Also you can't develop many of the fringe players when they never get on the pitch...

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Mr MO said:

I have to say I’m really surprised by this swift action of the CFG. Didn’t expect that. As reported, it must been really shambles in the dressing room.

Pretty obviously, because if it was just a couple of results PK would have departed Troyes long ago.

Let's hope that Vidmar can just steady the ship and get the boys playing to the standard that we know they are capable of. I hope CFG will let him have the full season because IMO they rushed the Vidosic appointment in the first place.

Surely we have just set a record for the quickest-ever termination of a manager - after just two league matches?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Let's hope that Vidmar can just steady the ship and get the boys playing to the standard that we know they are capable of. I hope CFG will let him have the full season because IMO they rushed the Vidosic appointment in the first place.

Surely we have just set a record for the quickest-ever termination of a manager - after just two league matches?

Yes I never understood the rushed 2 year deal they gave Vidosic. It's not exactly just "2 league games" there's been signs from last season that he wasn't cut out for it...

I eat humble pie and I apologize.

The first couple of rounds last season under Rado we played some more free flowing football, shackles removed we called it. Now I realise this was because he just let the players roam completely free and it was just the quality of the players  - nothing more.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Mr MO said:

I eat humble pie and I apologize.

The first couple of rounds last season under Rado we played some more free flowing football, shackles removed we called it. Now I realise this was because he just let the players roam completely free and it was just the quality of the players  - nothing more.

Same.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Best move the discussion here please folks.

Overall: https://www.ultimatealeague.com/statistics/manager/?show=msm.

Not quite sure whether that includes FFA/Australia Cup and AFC competitions or not.

Our current coach does not have a good record...

Just proves how either we forget how bad JVS, Valkanis and Joyce were or how tolerant we were of underperformance. Vidmar by no means a star performer and quite underwhelming but interestingly enough his metrics are on par with the above.

Also what is interesting is that PK is the best manager of all time (by metrics alone) with significant games under his belt, out performing Ange, Muscat and Arnold.

Go figure.

Edited by playmaker
  • Thanks 1

If you click on the name of each individual manager you will get a better idea of performance. There you will see the breakdown into Wins, Draws and Losses.

By looking at the %Draws and Losses you will get a good idea of who was/is actually the most successful in terms of points.

The numbers are just A-League results.

Edited by jw1739

54 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

If you click on the name of each individual manager you will get a better idea of performance. There you will see the breakdown into Wins, Draws and Losses.

By looking at the %Draws and Losses you will get a good idea of who was/is actually the most successful in terms of points.

The numbers are just A-League results.

How many of the 144 games did JVS coach under heart?

24 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

How many of the 144 games did JVS coach under heart?

All but one season iirc.

If you look at his history on transfermarkt, he has been pretty poor until Greece and now Ajax. It seems he can do ok if he has access to top players for the level, but won't get poor teams playing above themselves.

I think that's the kind of coach we need, like Montgomery for CCM, Italiano for Nix. I don't care if they are from the EPL, NPL or the Fiji tbh. If a coach can show they can get a small or middling team to punch above their weight, they have to have something about them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, moops said:

All but one season iirc.

If you look at his history on transfermarkt, he has been pretty poor until Greece and now Ajax. It seems he can do ok if he has access to top players for the level, but won't get poor teams playing above themselves.

I think that's the kind of coach we need, like Montgomery for CCM, Italiano for Nix. I don't care if they are from the EPL, NPL or the Fiji tbh. If a coach can show they can get a small or middling team to punch above their weight, they have to have something about them.

Agree.

On point

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

The win ratio seems to be being brought down by the Heart days if you look Australia. Not fully clear in such an overview.

E7204B1C-3830-4670-890D-7A8CE9AF5C91.png

Which exemplifies what I am saying, we were chucking ice in bins for ice baths as Heart, we didn't overperform at all.

Chivas he did better as they are one of the better teams in the MX League.

Twente he probably underperformed.

Maybe it's adaptability, if you have lots of resources you can bring in players to suit what you want, but if not you have to be more adaptable with what you have, which suits a salary capped league as well imho.

Edited by moops