Melbourne Football

The JvS thread

Tesla

All in all the man for the job is Mike Mulvey , he has had A League experience and has had finals football whilst coaching he has the ear of CFG and has been to Manchester City training ground recently .

Not sure about his man management skills, that is a crucial area of competency for a new coach at this time.

All in all the man for the job is Mike Mulvey , he has had A League experience and has had finals football whilst coaching he has the ear of CFG and has been to Manchester City training ground recently .

In February that was... So perhaps not that recently?
But apparently CFG is keeping an eye on him.

1 hour ago, Tesla said:

What's the obsession with Viera?

Has achieved nothing with the EDS squad in Manchester.

There is no evidence to suggest he is a good manager?

If he were a first team manager, I reckon he would be very successful. Especially for a team like us, he would bring a winning attitude instead of our 'heart mentality, also with the name that he is, players would be wanting to impress him 100 times more than they are JVS, plus would get moreof a crowd to games.

45 minutes ago, Andrew Edmonds said:

If he were a first team manager, I reckon he would be very successful. Especially for a team like us, he would bring a winning attitude instead of our 'heart mentality

But what makes you think that? You're just imagining things with absolutely nothing to back it up.

46 minutes ago, Andrew Edmonds said:

also with the name that he is, players would be wanting to impress him 100 times more than they are JVS, plus would get moreof a crowd to games.

JVS was/is a pretty big name as well, I doubt the players would respect Viera based on his name significantly more than JVS. I also can't see the manager, whoever he is bringing in crowds when it's pretty questionable whether even a lot of bigger name players did much for crowds.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Tesla said:

But what makes you think that? You're just imagining things with absolutely nothing to back it up.

JVS was/is a pretty big name as well, I doubt the players would respect Viera based on his name significantly more than JVS. I also can't see the manager, whoever he is bringing in crowds when it's pretty questionable whether even a lot of bigger name players did much for crowds.

Just opinion based.

I have said it before on here my Soccer needs to become more like American Sports, over there in sports like n sports like NFL and Basketball PPL are purely hired on their past experience at lower levels to higher levels of particular sports. They also pay a big attention to Win/Loss records.

Obviously AFL and NRL are worse but Soccer still has a tendency to give PPL a go purely on their name, I would much prefer someone without a name but a record of success to be given the MCFC job than someone who was a well known player.

13 minutes ago, cadete said:

I have said it before on here my Soccer needs to become more like American Sports, over there in sports like n sports like NFL and Basketball PPL are purely hired on their past experience at lower levels to higher levels of particular sports. They also pay a big attention to Win/Loss records.

Obviously AFL and NRL are worse but Soccer still has a tendency to give PPL a go purely on their name, I would much prefer someone without a name but a record of success to be given the MCFC job than someone who was a well known player.

I agree with this. However the AFL has now put in place a structured coaching path so James Hird will be the last of the coaches that got the gig simply because he was a past great and a TV talking head. I don't know about the NRL. But as far as football is concerned I think that with a maturing market, coaches will need to come through the ranks. AFAIK there are no senior coaches in the A-Lague that have come from the state leagues - the only one that I know of is Phil Stubbins (feel free to correct me). Once we have coaches emerge from the state league to a-league assistant coaches and then to senior coaching, then the name thing will disappear.

8 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

I agree with this. However the AFL has now put in place a structured coaching path so James Hird will be the last of the coaches that got the gig simply because he was a past great and a TV talking head. I don't know about the NRL. But as far as football is concerned I think that with a maturing market, coaches will need to come through the ranks. AFAIK there are no senior coaches in the A-Lague that have come from the state leagues - the only one that I know of is Phil Stubbins (feel free to correct me). Once we have coaches emerge from the state league to a-league assistant coaches and then to senior coaching, then the name thing will disappear.

Actually I still think the AFL is pretty stupid in its hiring of coaches, they seemed to moved on from looking for "Great Players" as coaches to "Players who Resemble Past Good Coaches When they Played" so those who were tough back pocket types or perhaps good readers of the game get talked up as good candidates.

At the end of day this thinking is just guesswork like the older "Great Player" theory.

The AFL also has the even more noticeable trend of hiring assistant coaches from which ever club has recently been successful, they did this with the Assistant Coaches from the Collingwood 2010 side, and the Geelong sides and now they are doing it with Hawthorn and the success rate has hardly been that high to say it has been proven a strong method for selecting coaches.

Personally I think coaches who coach a VFL/WAFL/SANFL side should be looked at more than line coaches as they have to deal with duties a lot more similar to an AFL coach than what line coaches have to do... I say this seeing line coaches in action almost every weekend at the VFL.

Edited by cadete

http://www.a-league.com.au/photo-gallery/hyundai-a-league-round-5-team-of-the-week-u3mwmw46kwwn1ke8slrpoanfr/coach-of-the-round--john-van--t-schip--melbourne-city--an-attack-minded-city-came-up-with-the-goods-when-needed-most-12

JVS named as Coach in Round 5 team of the week.

" Coach of the round: John van 't Schip (Melbourne City) An attack-minded City came up with the goods when needed most"

Yep tactical genius, 5 year contract

1 hour ago, haz said:

http://www.a-league.com.au/photo-gallery/hyundai-a-league-round-5-team-of-the-week-u3mwmw46kwwn1ke8slrpoanfr/coach-of-the-round--john-van--t-schip--melbourne-city--an-attack-minded-city-came-up-with-the-goods-when-needed-most-12

JVS named as Coach in Round 5 team of the week.

" Coach of the round: John van 't Schip (Melbourne City) An attack-minded City came up with the goods when needed most"

Yep tactical genius, 5 year contract

I think this is actually the only thing he's won as a coach.

• Like 1