Melbourne Football

The JvS thread

Tesla

Here are some basic facts:

1. We have a very good list of experienced players who have in the past played very well in other teams. Some who have represented their countries, some who have won A-League championships under other coaches

2. We have a bunch of young players learning their trade and have a lot of potential

3. Most of these players have the mentality to never give up

4. We have ex-players who have left our club and are doing better than they were here

5. We have a second-time coach who has a win ratio of 32%, has lost the dressing room and cannot motivate if his life depended on it.

So class, which of the above seems to be the area which is the root cause for our ills?

• Like 2

Here are some basic facts:

1. We have a very good list of experienced players who have in the past played very well in other teams. Some who have represented their countries, some who have won A-League championships under other coaches

2. We have a bunch of young players learning their trade and have a lot of potential

3. Most of these players have the mentality to never give up

4. We have ex-players who have left our club and are doing better than they were here

5. We have a second-time coach who has a win ratio of 32%, has lost the dressing room and cannot motivate if his life depended on it.

So class, which of the above seems to be the area which is the root cause for our ills?

The squad?

• Like 3

Is it the players? Is it the coach? Think there is only one answer to that. Not only JVS's appalling stats but any experience in the workplace should tell. It doesn't matter how skilled, competent or dedicated the workers are if the leader has no vision and doesn't command or give respect then the workers lose drive, aggression and desire.

• Like 2

Its OK to play any type of system really as they are all effective given the right situation. However the players need to be schooled on multiple systems so when the need is there they can switch. This is done on the training track and it is JVS's responsibility to ensure that he has the right players off the bench to accommodate a switch. However JVS hasn't got a clue on how to read the game and how to organise his team to counter a change in the oppositions momentum or tactics.

90 minutes of attack is very dangerous and when teams have a lead then it calls for the manager to change tactics to protect the lead. Park the bus..... You don't need great players to do this as they just occupy space and man mark. You see this employed in all levels of football, why? Because it is the best way to win a game when you are leading.

JVS needs to go because he can't read the game and therefore can't lead his team to changed tactics effectively. I am just shattered and after sitting there on Friday night and listening to all the members around me saying the same thing about the subs and the tactical errors in the 2nd half, it is obvious that JVS has no clue. Everyone saw the errors and the lack pro activity. Even seeing Bruno and Sorrensson droping their heads reflected the wtf is going on reaction.

Best thing is to get a defensive and tactical manager that can organise his troops into a rigid and accountable structure which will be good for the young players and allow the older players to directed the team effectively into rehersed and repeatable structures.

Sorry for the rant but as you can tell, I am over this half arsed mentally that comes from the top and is like cancer eating at the soul of the team.

We have got the players to be up there this season, we haven't got the manager to lead us, and everyone knows it.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

I couldn't disagree more. Almost every player on our list apart from perhaps Mooy and Fornaroli and Sorensen at present has a significant flaw/deficiency in their game. 

Yes they do as do players in every team. The coaching team have a role to meld those strengths and weaknesses into a system that will deliver results on the pitch. A part of that is tactical and technical, an important part of that is to instil a belief into the payers that they can still win irrespective of the scoreline. This isn't happening at all, we play well as long as everything 'goes to plan' but as soon as there is any adversity the team panics and any cohesion evaporates. The coach has a crucial role in this as do influential players on the pitch 

Hopefully its a sign of things to come for JVS with Jason kris just being removed from NYCFC. Jason Kreis leaves post as New York City FC Head Coach

"A win rate of less than one in three games and a points tally which was the second lowest in the league is clearly not in line with the targets that were agreed"

How this cannot apply to JVS I do not know.....

Edited by malloy
  • Like 3

"A win rate of less than one in three games and a points tally which was the second lowest in the league is clearly not in line with the targets that were agreed"

One thing that should be brought up at the next FRG meeting is to disclose what are our seasons goals/objectives. Because I don't think CFG realize that there is only 10 teams in the comp, and finishing sixth is in the bottom half.

"While the challenges of building and integrating a new team are recognized, iwas felt by the Board, following a comprehensive review, that there was not enough evidence of the dynamics required to improve the performance of the team for the next season and beyond."

This confuses me further why JVS is still here. Or why he was ever chosen? At least John Kreis has actually won the league. 

Welcome to the aleague, where every player has flaws/deficiencies. 

Yes I agree with that. I actually believe we don't have a bad squad technically. But most other clubs have a mongrel or two or three in midfield and at the back with leadership qualities. I guess my rant was a long-winded way of saying JVS does not value hardness, so no surprise that we struggle once things go against us. And this wont change until we have a couple of more mongrels playing. Turning soft cocks into hard nuts overnight is a big ask, so best not to assemble a squad of soft cocks in the first place, which unfortunately seems to be JVS's specialty... 

Edited by dr lime

It probably does. The difference is that the MLS has finished, and our season is still in progress. Last season we just met our targets, so JvS stayed. We don't know what this season's targets are except it's highly likely they are more onerous than last. As per a post of mine above, the trend so far this season is against JvS, and whatever the target is it is getting harder to meet every week. I think Niko is close with his mention of Christmas as the tipping point. If we lose the Christmas Derby and we're way off the pace in the league overall at that point then time will be up.

• Like 1

If that's somewhat true about the players not rating JvS, we shouldn't even have to wait for the next match/loss. A team can't win anything if the coach and players aren't even on the same page on or off the pitch.

Agree. This Adelaide game has 3-0 loss written all over it. It's hard enough to win away from home with everyone united & focused.

30% with Villa, Lampard and Pirlo. It just shows that a team stacked full of talent without the right mentality and coach is never going to be a champion team

• Like 3

It probably does. The difference is that the MLS has finished, and our season is still in progress. Last season we just met our targets, so JvS stayed. We don't know what this season's targets are except it's highly likely they are more onerous than last. As per a post of mine above, the trend so far this season is against JvS, and whatever the target is it is getting harder to meet every week. I think Niko is close with his mention of Christmas as the tipping point. If we lose the Christmas Derby and we're way off the pace in the league overall at that point then time will be up.

With you 100%.  I think this supports what we all suspected, that Melbourne and JVS barely met their target last year.  Finishing 5th in the league and then winning in Wellington, was just enough to hold the axe.

When the CEO says "we were bitterly disappointed we lost in the cup and think it was due to the coach's selections" you know that his days are numbered. People in Munn's position don't say stuff like that lightly.

CFG don't seem to sack coaches and look for replacements.  I therefore wouldn't be shocked if the replacement search had started already.  

• Like 1

With you 100%.  I think this supports what we all suspected, that Melbourne and JVS barely met their target last year.  Finishing 5th in the league and then winning in Wellington, was just enough to hold the axe.

When the CEO says "we were bitterly disappointed we lost in the cup and think it was due to the coach's selections" you know that his days are numbered. People in Munn's position don't say stuff like that lightly.

CFG don't seem to sack coaches and look for replacements.  I therefore wouldn't be shocked if the replacement search had started already.  

Where was this?

Where was this?

IIRC it came out of the FRG meeting.

The positive that we need to take out of what has happened at NYC is confirmation that there are targets for performance of the team, and if they are not met then changes will be made.

Also gone with Jacob Kreis are Miles Joseph and C.J.Brown, two Assistant Coaches at NYCFC.

IMO if the axe falls here it won't be only JvS. I am tipping 2-3 others from the Football Department.

• Like 1

IIRC it came out of the FRG meeting.

The positive that we need to take out of what has happened at NYC is confirmation that there are targets for performance of the team, and if they are not met then changes will be made.

Also gone with Jacob Kreis are Miles Joseph and C.J.Brown, two Assistant Coaches at NYCFC.

IMO if the axe falls here it won't be only JvS. I am tipping 2-3 others from the Football Department.

Well if thats the case, he is gone. There is no way  a CEO says something like that in public if the decision hassnt already been made.

NYC are 34 games into their season, so not exactly comparable but surely to god JVS is on extremely thin ice. Heck, perhaps a toe is actually submersed.

The fact that this club, with its glorious history, has had 2 coaches - that's right TWO coaches, proves that there is more wrong behind the scenes that just the coach. 

sorry Dylan, I am ignorant about quoting across threads.  its the "they changed the colours etc" thread.

"At the FRG meeting Scott Munn said that CFG was bitterly disappointed about the FFA cup loss and he put it on JVS's selections."

yeah I'm as shocked as you that no one picked that up. That's the end of JVS right there 

yeah I'm as shocked as you that no one picked that up. That's the end of JVS right there 

When Hughes got the lemonade and sars from Man City it wasn't until they had their replacement lined up.  Other than that CFG have made changes at seasons end.  A small sample size but this is the pattern i expect them to follow.

If JVS is going to avoid that fate (Mark Hughes) he needs to go on a relentless winning run.  (if he did i doubt anyone here would complain, but at the same time, we aren't expecting it)

• Like 2

When Hughes got the lemonade and sars from Man City it wasn't until they had their replacement lined up.  Other than that CFG have made changes at seasons end.  A small sample size but this is the pattern i expect them to follow.

If JVS is going to avoid that fate (Mark Hughes) he needs to go on a relentless winning run.  (if he did i doubt anyone here would complain, but at the same time, we aren't expecting it)

like last season after he was read the riot act? :p

With CFG doing their club reviews at the end of the season usually I´m sure they got someone like Bob Bradley who will finish his season in a few days lined up at NYCFC.
As for Melbourne City..Well, I did mention that CFG was all about trajectories and if there suddenly is a downward curve or lack of improvement guys like Simon Pearce and Brian Marwood that have Melbourne on their desks ought to do something soon, even before 10th November perhaps.

The big question is of course, who replaces JvS...