Melbourne Football

The JvS thread

Tesla

Recruitment wise perhaps you should consider that season1 was the start up season. Season 2 was definitely a JVS season and season 3 mostly a JVS season. Season 4 was an Alosi season as was season 5. Season 6 was a combined JVS and Aloisi season.

Starting at season 1, JVS was unfamiliar with local players/conditions - hence I did not have high expectations. Indeed I still wonder whether we have the actual number of local players capable of playing in the top tier competition (I have the same doubts about the AFL after the introduction of GWS and GCS). None the less although JVS should be held responsible for the season's results, I am not going to be too hard on him. Now I realise that some people will point at WSW as a success story in its first season but the FFA changed things after the failures of NQF, the Gold Coast, the Auckland team and the none event that was Heart.

Season 2 was definitely a better season and the club reached its highest position on the ladder at second spot before the team was deflated. It was also the time when JVS called it quits because the owners had not come through with what ever promises. Now Aloisi was an assistant at that stage and he would have had an input into recruitment for season 3.

Seasons 3, 4 and 5 were a JA season that I need not recap.

Last season the club turned over half of the playing list. Out of the new signings Koren has been the big flop. The re-signings of DW and JH (who is no longer at the club) can be questioned. This coming season the only player that remain from Heart days is DW. Signed prior to the CFG take over were Mooy and James Brown. I expect the latter to be gone at season's end as he has barely played due to injury.

Poor recruitment is definitely a key factor but like any club if you are close to the floor of the player payments you are not going to get too much quality. The exception all along has been CCM under GA. Not exciting football but it was certainly effective. And I still wonder whether the country has enough quality players to sustain a healthy competition.

Do you know what the difference between the the cap and the salary floor at through those seasons? 

In fact JvS has had a strong influence on every season since the club was formed. S1 and S2 obviously he had chosen the squad and coached it, and S3 was clearly a legacy season with those players continuing on from S2. Also he was appointed Technical Manager at some point in S3 or S4 (I can't remember exactly when that was now). He took over as coach when Aloisi was sacked at Christmas in S4 and has been in that position ever since.

Aloisi told the Roar fan forum that he had no say whatsoever over recruiting any players at Heart:wub:

Sounds like bullshit tbh. I am sure he didnt have complete control over the squad but i doubt he had no say in it at all.

I would say its more likely someone (perhaps via skype?) was advising him on who to sign and he just went along with what ever they said.

aloisi had said when he was on the process of destroying Heart, that "how it works is he is asked if he wants certain players". That sounds like final say to me. Anyway JVS showed it wasn't the squad that was the problem, it was the one dimensional tactics with no plan B. That and a truckload of plain bad luck.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So sick of this shit, out with a bloody whimper. No excuses for JvS, this has to be the final nail in the coffin. Completely unacceptable.

Why do we still have him? Honestly, I can see we have the right quality of player on the park to beat hack teams like Perth. But there's just no purpose, no penetration, no mental strength - and as soon as things go against us we roll over and die. Team selection was horrendous for a semi final.

EVERYONE knows that JvS will never win us anything and that his time will be up eventually. So why not end it now?

I don't blame the players one jot for this loss. Not Gaurccio, Velaphi, Clisby or any of them. The pathetic bloody loss is 100% JVS'.

Arrogant coaching decisions, especially with the starting lineup. In part JVS' main coaching weaknesses were on show. Overly relying on youth (Millar, Kuzmanoski, Garuccio, Mauk, Melling, Chapman, Clisby, Dekker all in the one team??? 7 players 21 years old or under, and Clisby at 23. Pure madness) and converted players, namely Garuccio at LB. But then there was just pure selection lunacy, such as playing a brand new defence, with only 1 defender in the back 5 who's played in his position in Melbourne City's last 2 games (Chapman), and playing 2 players back from several month long injuries--Garuccio, Melling--for 90 minutes. Indefensible. 

JVS deserves a world of pressure on him after this pathetic semi-final loss. 

Murfy1 is that you?

edit: Never seen you so mad, I was starting to think you were a buddhist. 

Edited by Alexxxandro

I'm impressed Murph. I was actually ready to shut down any defence you made of JVS. Spot on what you said. What irks me so much is this game is bigger than the game on Sunday. We desperately needed to win this and he makes the worst decisions. Fucking ludicrous. 

Edited by n i k o

I don't blame the players one jot for this loss. Not Gaurccio, Velaphi, Clisby or any of them. The pathetic bloody loss is 100% JVS'.

Arrogant coaching decisions, especially with the starting lineup. In part JVS' main coaching weaknesses were on show. Overly relying on youth (Millar, Kuzmanoski, Garuccio, Mauk, Melling, Chapman, Clisby, Dekker all in the one team??? 7 players 21 years old or under, and Clisby at 23. Pure madness) and converted players, namely Garuccio at LB. But then there was just pure selection lunacy, such as playing a brand new defence, with only 1 defender in the back 5 who's played in his position in Melbourne City's last 2 games (Chapman), and playing 2 players back from several month long injuries--Garuccio, Melling--for 90 minutes. Indefensible. 

JVS deserves a world of pressure on him after this pathetic semi-final loss. 

I didn't believe until now that he would be sacked, but now I can't believe that if there is just a grain of truth in what CFG have said they want this club to be that he won't be.

You have summed up my thoughts perfectly Murf. Unbelievable and indefensible team selection and management last night. An insult to every supporter of this club.

• Like 2

A win here and a FFA cup derby final almost certainly. Massive missed opportunity. 

This is so true. But CFG must also be looking at the bottom line of this result. Not only a chance for silverware and kudos, but financially JVS just flushed a big financial windfall down the toilet by forgoing a big crowd for a home derby final. The owners must now sit up and notice what's going on - nothing concentrates the mind like cash - even with pockets that deep. 

JVS is basically the reason I followed heart then City. I got to know him season 1 and felt obliged to get a membership season 2.

As a person he is a top bloke. Always willing for a chat and very open about things.

After last night I'm sorry to say he shouldn't continue as senior coach. He has put together a formidable list with great depth and really exciting young talent. Come game day he has lost me. There was a period were he was innovative and bold but now he is sterile and one dimensional.

I seriously think he is going to do more damage if he continues. They need to reassess his position.

Picking that back 4 against a route 1 aerial team was absolute idiocy. Melling was cooked after 20mins. To leave Fornaroli so isolated is just nuts.

Time has come for a change sooner rather than later.  

• Like 1

JVS is basically the reason I followed heart then City. I got to know him season 1 and felt obliged to get a membership season 2.

As a person he is a top bloke. Always willing for a chat and very open about things.

After last night I'm sorry to say he shouldn't continue as senior coach. He has put together a formidable list with great depth and really exciting young talent. Come game day he has lost me. There was a period were he was innovative and bold but now he is sterile and one dimensional.

I seriously think he is going to do more damage if he continues. They need to reassess his position.

Picking that back 4 against a route 1 aerial team was absolute idiocy. Melling was cooked after 20mins. To leave Fornaroli so isolated is just nuts.

Time has come for a change sooner rather than later.  

In season 1 and 2 JVS was a tactically innovative coach. This helped to compensate for his unhelpful influence on the team culture. He returned to the franchise as a timid and poor tactician, encapsulated in last night's game. The team culture is still entrenched and harder to shift than ever but to his credit he has recruited specifically to address this issue. I doubt that it can be successfully addressed though with him in the senior coaching position

I feel like CFG will never sack him. He just seems to escape from pressure even when we are terrible and there is no possible reason other than his tactical choices. There's always the injury list excuse, but who scouted and signed these injury-prone or already-injured players? I just feel like after last night's performance there should be so much pressure on him but he escapes scrutiny somehow - correct me if I'm wrong but I haven't seen any media outlets blaming him or his choices, only really this forum - and even if we lose vs CCM I can't see him going. Would love to be proven wrong though.

I really like the bloke as a person and as a youth talent scout but I am beyond pissed that no fucks were given about the game last night. Would have been nice to be warned in advance that we weren't going to try, at least. Priorities all wrong for a club whose supporters are crying out for silverware, a club that has achieved fuck all so far, and doesn't look like challenging for the title at the moment. How can this club expect support when it dishes out crap like last night? You don't have to look far to see why we only have 7.5k members.

The worst thing is he has no balls. It probably would have ended in us losing more, but why did Kisnorbo come on for Clisby, should have thrown on an attacker. It's a cup semifinal, a loss is a loss, could have at least tried chasing it even if it ended with us losing 6-1.

Never any fucking balls, never changing the system, never dropping players. The only risky thing he does is give youth a shot. But then he goes full retard with it and plays like 8 of them? That's not taking a calculated risk, that's just plain being retarded.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 2

The worst thing is he has no balls. It probably would have ended in us losing more, but why did Kisnorbo come on for Clisby, should have thrown on an attacker. It's a cup semifinal, a loss is a loss, could have at least tried chasing it even if it ended with us losing 6-1.

Never any fucking balls, never changing the system, never dropping players. The only risky thing he does is give youth a shot. But then he goes full retard with it and plays like 8 of them? That's not taking a calculated risk, that's just plain being retarded.

Ran out of likes but absolutely correct. 

How do we fix it ?