Melbourne Football

Marc Marino

BeardedHeart

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, here's the official announcement:

ANNOUNCEMENT: Melbourne City FC Sign Retre and Marino to Senior Deals

Monday, 18 August 2014

Melbourne City FC has signed promising young players Paulo Retre and Marc Marino

Melbourne City FC is pleased to announce the signing of two of Australia’s most promising young talents in Paulo Retre and Marc Marino ahead of the Hyundai A-League 2014/15 season.

Retre, 21, is an example of Melbourne City FC’s commitment to nurturing young talent through its youth pathways to senior football, with the midfielder emerging from two years with the Club’s Foxtel National Youth League (FNYL) set-up to earn a senior deal.

Retre travelled to England with Melbourne City FC to experience Carrington’s English Premier League-standard facilities and featured in matches against Bury, Oldham Athletic and Bolton Wanderers in July.

Born and bred in Melbourne, Retre was handed four senior appearances last season while contracted to the FYNL team, and has continued to impress Head Coach John van’t Schip.

“Paulo has obviously been with us for some time and his signing builds on our tradition of developing and promoting players from youth to senior contracts - and rewarding those players who illustrate progress,” van’t Schip said.

Marino, 18, is a promising striker who plied his trade with the Australian Institute of Sport (AIS) in the FNYL last season, where he  first caught the eye of Melbourne City FC coaches.

A mobile, hard-working number 9 from South Australia, Marino joins the Club as an NYL Contracted Player.

Each Hyundai A-League club is afforded three additional youth-aged players outside of its 23-player squad with Marino occupying one of those three spots alongside Jacob Melling, who joined in May.

Marino trialled for Melbourne City FC against Whittlesea in a behind-closed-doors match before the team left for Manchester for a pre-season camp at Manchester City’s Carrington Training Facility.

Van’t Schip is very pleased the Club has secured Marino.

“We have been very impressed by Marc’s progress.  Marc looks like a natural goal-scorer and has a good instinct in the penalty box,” van’t Schip said.

“He finds a way to get in behind players to finish and create goal-scoring opportunities which is particularly exciting for us.”

Marino and Retre join the likes of Melling, Connor Chapman, Ben Garuccio and Stefan Mauk as the Club helps develop the next generation of Hyundai A-League talent.

Retre will wear number 18 for Melbourne City FC, while Marino will wear number 26.

Permanent playing squad signed for 2014/15 to date (21 players): James Brown, Connor Chapman, Damien Duff, Mate Dugandzic, Ben Garuccio, Jonatan Germano, Jason Hoffman, Nick Kalmar, Patrick Kisnorbo, Robert Koren, Marc Marino, Stefan Mauk, Jacob Melling, Aaron Mooy, Massimo Murdocca, Iain Ramsay, Andrew Redmayne, Paulo Retre, Tando Velaphi, Robbie Wielaert, David Williams

Player Information

Paulo Retre

DOB: 4 March 1993 (age 21)

Place of birth: Melbourne, Australia

Position: Midfielder

Current contract details: One-year contract (expires end of Hyundai A-League 2014/15 season)

Marc Marino

DOB: 30 April 1996 (age 18)

Place of birth: Adelaide, South Australia

Position: Striker/Winger

Current contract details: Two-year contract (expires end of Hyundai A-League 2015/16 season)

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/announcement-retre-and-marino-sign-with-melbourne-city-fc/kmflgwex2scq1b5h772cvrtio

So...Melling and Marino are in the "+3" category, meaning that we have actually signed 19 of the 23 players we are allowed for the senior squad.

It will be interesting to see who we sign as the fifth visa player. Wasn't there a hint that it was hoped to finalise this signing by the end of August?

Yep, here's the official announcement:

ANNOUNCEMENT: Melbourne City FC Sign Retre and Marino to Senior Deals

Monday, 18 August 2014

Melbourne City FC has signed promising young players Paulo Retre and Marc Marino

Melbourne City FC is pleased to announce the signing of two of Australia’s most promising young talents in Paulo Retre and Marc Marino ahead of the Hyundai A-League 2014/15 season.

Retre, 21, is an example of Melbourne City FC’s commitment to nurturing young talent through its youth pathways to senior football, with the midfielder emerging from two years with the Club’s Foxtel National Youth League (FNYL) set-up to earn a senior deal.

Retre travelled to England with Melbourne City FC to experience Carrington’s English Premier League-standard facilities and featured in matches against Bury, Oldham Athletic and Bolton Wanderers in July.

Born and bred in Melbourne, Retre was handed four senior appearances last season while contracted to the FYNL team, and has continued to impress Head Coach John van’t Schip.

“Paulo has obviously been with us for some time and his signing builds on our tradition of developing and promoting players from youth to senior contracts - and rewarding those players who illustrate progress,” van’t Schip said.

Marino, 18, is a promising striker who plied his trade with the Australian Institute of Sport (AIS) in the FNYL last season, where he first caught the eye of Melbourne City FC coaches.

A mobile, hard-working number 9 from South Australia, Marino joins the Club as an NYL Contracted Player.

Each Hyundai A-League club is afforded three additional youth-aged players outside of its 23-player squad with Marino occupying one of those three spots alongside Jacob Melling, who joined in May.

Marino trialled for Melbourne City FC against Whittlesea in a behind-closed-doors match before the team left for Manchester for a pre-season camp at Manchester City’s Carrington Training Facility.

Van’t Schip is very pleased the Club has secured Marino.

“We have been very impressed by Marc’s progress. Marc looks like a natural goal-scorer and has a good instinct in the penalty box,” van’t Schip said.

“He finds a way to get in behind players to finish and create goal-scoring opportunities which is particularly exciting for us.”

Marino and Retre join the likes of Melling, Connor Chapman, Ben Garuccio and Stefan Mauk as the Club helps develop the next generation of Hyundai A-League talent.

Retre will wear number 18 for Melbourne City FC, while Marino will wear number 26.

Permanent playing squad signed for 2014/15 to date (21 players): James Brown, Connor Chapman, Damien Duff, Mate Dugandzic, Ben Garuccio, Jonatan Germano, Jason Hoffman, Nick Kalmar, Patrick Kisnorbo, Robert Koren, Marc Marino, Stefan Mauk, Jacob Melling, Aaron Mooy, Massimo Murdocca, Iain Ramsay, Andrew Redmayne, Paulo Retre, Tando Velaphi, Robbie Wielaert, David Williams

Player Information

Paulo Retre

DOB: 4 March 1993 (age 21)

Place of birth: Melbourne, Australia

Position: Midfielder

Current contract details: One-year contract (expires end of Hyundai A-League 2014/15 season)

Marc Marino

DOB: 30 April 1996 (age 18)

Place of birth: Adelaide, South Australia

Position: Striker/Winger

Current contract details: Two-year contract (expires end of Hyundai A-League 2015/16 season)

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/announcement-retre-and-marino-sign-with-melbourne-city-fc/kmflgwex2scq1b5h772cvrtio So...Melling and Marino are in the "+3" category, meaning that we have actually signed 19 of the 23 players we are allowed for the senior squad.

It will be interesting to see who we sign as the fifth visa player. Wasn't there a hint that it was hoped to finalise this signing by the end of August?

I beleive jvs explicitly said it in a video interview that's on the website somewhere. But I guess getting a deal done is different than announcing that a deal has been done....

Yeah I recall something being said about a signing by the end of August. The only quotes I could dig up though from JVS, made earlier this month, stated that the club is looking to sign a player:

"in a ‘defensive thinking’ kind of position. So that could be a defensive kind of midfielder, or someone in the back who can also play as a centreback”

and

“we’re still looking for, of course, for a spot, a player that we can fill in within the coming weeks. Hopefully we will find that player” (said in response to a question about having 1 Visa spot left).

I'm pretty certain though that the club will inevitably sign a Visa player along those lines. And I think it could be a player that the club will expect to be useful for multiple seasons to come, so the club should take its time IMO and get the final Visa signing right. I think it could be a somewhat tough signing though, as it's a salary cap signing, and conceivably there could be a rather limited amount of money left in our salary cap. So for us to sign a quality Visa player under the cap, we might need for that player to have other more lucrative and/or desirable moves fall through first before we can sign a quality Visa player under the cap (similar to how Engelaar's move to Westham broke down, and then we were able to rather quickly sign him after).

I'll hazard a guess though, that any such final recruitment (excluding the Australian marquee) that adds the finishing touches to the squad will be done before family day, so inside the next 3 weeks.

Edited by Murfy1

Needs to fix his attitude... far too much time shaking his head at missed opportunities and not enough time mopping up or creating further chances after said missed opportunity. 

But i guess he's still young.

This could mean on the other hand that he is really goal hungry and a bit of a dick... which sometimes can be a winning combination as far as motivation goes for some of the best Strikers.

BNr9tvjCUAAr7xi.jpg

Lets hope its a case of this anyway.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 2

I wouldn't get too carried away with this kid despite the fact that he's looked good in a couple of pre-season games against NPL sides.

I remember Zac Walker hitting the back of the net a few times a couple of seasons ago, was hardly a sign of things to come... 

Also remember Hoff bagging hatties against similar sides, so yeah...

I wouldn't get too carried away with this kid despite the fact that he's looked good in a couple of pre-season games against NPL sides.

I remember Zac Walker hitting the back of the net a few times a couple of seasons ago, was hardly a sign of things to come... 

It was fairly obvious to anyone the watched Walker that he was pretty poor on the ball.

Marino is not. 

• Like 1

It was fairly obvious to anyone the watched Walker that he was pretty poor on the ball.

Marino is not. 

Except for those involved in the #startwalker campaign...

Let's make up our minds. In one thread these matches against NPL sides are good solid pre-season work-outs, but in another we shouldn't get carried away because someone has looked good in them...

• Like 1

Marino is not. 

Not saying the kid doesn't have talent, or is any better or worse than Walker. Just preaching caution. I quite like what I've seen from him tbh. But I can't see him making anything more than a few sub appearances throughout the season (if that).

Let's make up our minds. In one thread these matches against NPL sides are good solid pre-season work-outs, but in another we shouldn't get carried away because someone has looked good in them...

These are not mutually exclusive ideas. I can't see why they can't both be true? They're good hitouts for fitness and tactics, but you can't read too much into performances from trialists and young players imo.

• Like 1

Marino is not.

Not saying the kid doesn't have talent, or is any better or worse than Walker. Just preaching caution. I quite like what I've seen from him tbh. But I can't see him making anything more than a few sub appearances throughout the season (if that).

These are not mutually exclusive ideas. I can't see why they can't both be true? They're good hitouts for fitness and tactics, but you can't read too much into performances from trialists and young players imo.

Don't disagree at all. I'm just comfortable that he will be better than Walker.

Marino is not. 

Except for those involved in the #startwalker campaign...

Walker was a goal square poacher and finisher, ono the same type of player as Marino. Walker was more of a luxury player/poacher who'd be likely to score in the box but would offer little upfield.

Edited by belaguttman

Have seen Marino in both the Hume match and the Bendigo match. His positioning is impressive, and he showed a good 'nose for goal' to pop up and score the 3 goals he did in those games. Also, I agree that he's good on the ball, and he showed good link up play in the final third.

I don't think it's clear at all ATM that he has an attitude issue. I think he's still just getting used to playing with his new teammates, and that's why he sometimes looked out of step with them.

But still we'll have to see more how he goes against A-League opposition, and how he goes at A-League level before we can reliably know what type of player he is.

• Like 2

Have seen Marino in both the Hume match and the Bendigo match. His positioning is impressive, and he showed a good 'nose for goal' to pop up and score the 3 goals he did in those games. Also, I agree that he's good on the ball, and he showed good link up play in the final third.

I don't think it's clear at all ATM that he has an attitude issue. I think he's still just getting used to playing with his new teammates, and that's why he sometimes looked out of step with them.

But still we'll have to see more how he goes against A-League opposition, and how he goes at A-League level before we can reliably know what type of player he is.

Murf has spoken. And it shall now be truth

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

What makes a good striker is knowing where to run to and when...as soon as Mooy won the ball and turned he was on the move...an excellent ball by Brown and the kid was on the mark to finish. At least now we have a striker who can come on and score a goal.

Edited by silva10
  • Like 1

Hopefully the boy gets a regular 15 to 30 minutes over the next month, regardless of his tally. Kennedy will definitely get injured (marquee curse) Williams is to inconsistent and Duga in the central spot has hopefully been taken out of any calculations. So maybe we may have at least a plan b at some stage.