Melbourne Football

Robert Koren (confirmed by club as released)

Jimmy

Unfortunately injuries are part of the game and you can never tell when they will happen

Koren isn't injury prone, just unlucky!

Is it unlucky for a player to aggravate an existing injury which had been identified by his club?

Looks more like a case of bad management by the coaching and medical staff and that's what really frustrates me.

I would agree with you if it was because they were pushing him so that he could make the Newcastle game

Hopefully that is not the case and the reason is that the injury was worse than first thought

This happens at even the top clubs

The good thing is that the midfield is probably the strongest area of the squad, so am hoping the impact of losing him is lessened by that

facilities? training staff? pre-season training in Manchester? Sponsor? Marketing?

There is always room for improvement but if they keep improving things step by step like they have and we get some results, we will be a very competitive club.

Also the emblem and identity thing is huge. I am a member of 4 years and I think that having the Melbourne identity is miles ahead of Heart.

Edited by benzema23

The only main changes they've made to Melbourne Heart so far are - Name, Jersey, Villa 4 games.

Don't be silly. They have brought major sponsorship etihad to our club. Fit two players out of the premier league into the squad. Fit mooy under cap, brought Paartalu in on a long term contract. Upgrade the pitches at Latrobe. Training camp in Manchester. New eating and training programs. What's with all the madness anyway. We are two games in and we have two draws ideally it would be better with two wins but as it stands we are on two points a win this weekend throws us into the thick of things. PLAYERS need to stand up now. There is only so much cfg can do in 12 months. Manchester city took a few years before they won a title under the sheiks control and that is in an open salary league. Give it time we are still going to have moments of despair but eventually we will be number one in Australia.

Edited by drewmelbcity
  • Like 6

Might not be news to some and sort of un-related but just read the club turned down Dutchman Collins John.

Now that's a name I haven't heard in many a year.  Burst on to the scene in the Premier League with a few goals for Fulham (was it 4 in 2 games? ) only to then sink without a trace (at least as far as i was concerned).  No great loss i'd say.  

facilities? training staff? pre-season training in Manchester? Sponsor? Marketing?

There is always room for improvement but if they keep improving things step by step like they have and we get some results, we will be a very competitive club.

Also the emblem and identity thing is huge. I am a member of 4 years and I think that having the Melbourne identity is miles ahead of Heart

Erm, we had a 'Melbourne' identity with Melbourne Heart, if anything the identity now is more mini-Manchester then it is anything else.
  • Like 1

Also the emblem and identity thing is huge. I am a member of 4 years and I think that having the Melbourne identity is miles ahead of Heart

Erm, we had a 'Melbourne' identity with Melbourne Heart, if anything the identity now is more mini-Manchester then it is anything else.

I know identity wise Heart is so much more powerful than the word city, that's why there is more Heart-named clubs around the world than city clubs. Like Hull Heart Tigers, Manchester Heart, Adelaide Heart, Stoke Heart, Birmingham Heart, Cardiff Heart, Norwich Heart, Swansea Heart, etc... etc... 

vs City of Midlothian

you are spot on.

If anything we should've pushed the city vs Victorian state identity even more to differentiate ourselves more. That's where I see a big problem in terms of the direction from our management, ie playing our first competitive game outside of the city(!!!)

I understand that we need every member possible and have a broad appeal bla bla bla, but personally I couldn't give less of a fuck about people outside the city and inner suburbs in terms of our identity.

Edited by benzema23
  • Like 2

So it's confirmed that Koren is out for 4-6 weeks.

Given the nature of these things and the tendency of clubs to underestimate recovery periods, my prediction is that at best he will feature in the second half of the season only.

Of course he can't be blamed for sustaining an injury, but his signing does seem to be following a path already trodden by Melbourne Heart - Fred, Grella, Kewell - and I'm not really sure that he was the best choice we could have made as our overseas marquee player. Despite Marwood saying that Koren "ticked all the boxes" IMO he does not really completely fit the criteria outlined by Begiristain, which led me, for one, to believe that we would have chosen someone rather younger.

I still think we should seek an injury-replacement from Manchester, and IMO JvS' attitude as expressed so far on this is typically stubborn.  Isn't this the type of situation where being a part of CFG should give us a significant advantage? 

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 3

Yes, I would have thought that a fringe Man City player or EDS player could get 6 weeks of first team action as an injury replacement. After all he should know his role in the team as all the CFG teams are coached in the same style.

does salary cap become a factor with injury replacement??

So it's confirmed that Koren is out for 4-6 weeks.

Given the nature of these things and the tendency of clubs to underestimate recovery periods, my prediction is that at best he will feature in the second half of the season only.

Of course he can't be blamed for sustaining an injury, but his signing does seem to be following a path already trodden by Melbourne Heart - Fred, Grella, Kewell - and I'm not really sure that he was the best choice we could have made as our overseas marquee player. Despite Marwood saying that Koren "ticked all the boxes" IMO he does not really completely fit the criteria outlined by Begiristain, which led me, for one, to believe that we would have chosen someone rather younger.

I still think we should seek an injury-replacement from Manchester, and IMO JvS' attitude as expressed so far on this is typically stubborn.  Isn't this the type of situation where being a part of CFG should give us a significant advantage? 

That would seem like a sensible, proactive solution, that might actually go some way towards turning a negative into a positive for our club and the 'family'. And a lot easier to swallow than the standard soft-sell on the extent of the injury initially and then weeks of non-communication about his progress (unless there's good news).

Edited by SF33

Yes, I would have thought that a fringe Man City player or EDS player could get 6 weeks of first team action as an injury replacement. After all he should know his role in the team as all the CFG teams are coached in the same style.

No, not to my knowledge. Nor does Australian or overseas player status. For example, Migliorini was an injury replacement player.

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/injury-update-koren-sidelined-with-calf-injury/1ve01x12ekw801i2rz3n6bc3y8

Melbourne City FC Head Coach ruled out international marquee Robert Koren for the next four to six weeks with a calf injury.

van’t Schip said it was unlikely the Club would pursue an injury-replacement player.

Well, there's that little window of optimism comprehensively slammed shut. Wonder if any of the assembled media contingent bothered to ask him 'Why not?'

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/injury-update-koren-sidelined-with-calf-injury/1ve01x12ekw801i2rz3n6bc3y8

Melbourne City FC Head Coach ruled out international marquee Robert Koren for the next four to six weeks with a calf injury.

van’t Schip said it was unlikely the Club would pursue an injury-replacement player.

Well, there's that little window of optimism comprehensively slammed shut. Wonder if any of the assembled media contingent bothered to ask him 'Why not?'

The main advantage of being integrated in a greater business model is making use of its assets. Surely this situation would be in everyone's interest to resolve with a injury replacement player being sent out. Imagine the message that sends to us but also the rest of the league, a crucial and probably most important player goes down within a few days a like player is sent to replace. But no what do we get

BOOBKAS. 

No, not to my knowledge. Nor does Australian or overseas player status. For example, Migliorini was an injury replacement player. Bring back migliorini!

Will never forget those 2 cracking goals to help us come from 2-0 down to get a 3-3 draw

No, not to my knowledge. Nor does Australian or overseas player status. For example, Migliorini was an injury replacement player.

Early on in the A League Central Coast had some hack out with a long term injury.  At the time John Singleton had decided to be involved so they had some cash.

They went and signed a certain John Aloisi on marquee wages to fill that injury replacement slot and it was within the rules.  I'm pretty sure the A League changed the rules after that.  I'd be surprised if the replacement could be on more $ than the originally injured player, but apart from that you should be OK.

Edited by Shahanga

does salary cap become a factor with injury replacement?? No, not to my knowledge. Nor does Australian or overseas player status. For example, Migliorini was an injury replacement player. Bring back migliorini!

Will never forget those 2 cracking goals to help us come from 2-0 down to get a 3-3 draw

Yes but apart from those goals he was genuinely a spastic.

Hmmmmm could we front load a players contract for the injury replacement period and then sign them as 5th visa on base wage when Koren's fit?

And maybe added the question as to why did you bother trialling two EDS players when you were in England?

would be disappointed if an injury replacement player didn't come, we're already low on visa players aren't we?

just bring someone for the sake of it, yes that even includes maycon and mifsud

I can't even tell if people are taking the piss anymore...

Yes be careful what you wish for !!!

It might come true

Van ‘t Schip ruled out a quick dip into the transfer market to cover.

“We’re not looking at that at all,” he said. “Where do you get someone in for five weeks? It has to be someone that’s not playing, not having a club and he’s probably out of condition and the moment he’s good, he has to leave again. And having the pedigree of Koren – you’re talking about something that doesn’t exist."

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/oct/22/melbourne-citys-robert-koren-out-until-at-least-december

Van ‘t Schip ruled out a quick dip into the transfer market to cover.

“We’re not looking at that at all,” he said. “Where do you get someone in for five weeks? It has to be someone that’s not playing, not having a club and he’s probably out of condition and the moment he’s good, he has to leave again. And having the pedigree of Koren – you’re talking about something that doesn’t exist."

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/oct/22/melbourne-citys-robert-koren-out-until-at-least-december

Fair enough; I actually had read that previously. I guess it raises a couple of questions though:

1. Who said anything about 'the pedigree of Koren'? Someone that is good enough to make the starting XI would be a great help. I know van't Schip wasn't running the show at the time, but I don't imagine Aloisi and co. were deluding themselves that Migliorini was a like-for-like replacement for Engelaar last year.

2. The 'someone for five weeks' thing? Um...I could be way off, but wasn't that one of the implied benefits of having a global family of clubs? Is there a problem with getting a replacement player from Manchester City's development squad that I'm not seeing?

• Like 1

What message does it send to players like Mauk, Retre and Kalmar if we get an eds kid in for five weeks to cover Koren? It's why we have a squad. We have enough options to cover Koren for now. Give our kids like Retre and Mauk a chance first.

The problem last week was not shuffling our squad to have someone else other than Murdocca starting. Away from home against the likes of Victory I'd play Murdocca for his work rate but at home against a team like Newy who will sit back and defend with 10 behind the ball it was a mistake that I think cost us three points in the end. I would have backed Kalmar to have at least hit a few on target from the positions Murdocca was picking the ball up on the edge the box at and then laying it sideways to a winger in a worse position.

• Like 1

What message does it send to players like Mauk, Retre and Kalmar if we get an eds kid in for five weeks to cover Koren? It's why we have a squad. We have enough options to cover Koren for now. Give our kids like Retre and Mauk a chance first.

The problem last week was not shuffling our squad to have someone else other than Murdocca starting. Away from home against the likes of Victory I'd play Murdocca for his work rate but at home against a team like Newy who will sit back and defend with 10 behind the ball it was a mistake that I think cost us three points in the end. I would have backed Kalmar to have at least hit a few on target from the positions Murdocca was picking the ball up on the edge the box at and then laying it sideways to a winger in a worse position.

It doesn't necessarily send any message to them. We could have got a completely different player to Koren, a full back or a striker. And even if we did get another midfielder, I'd like to think that he wouldn't just be gifted games. If he wasn't more demanding of a spot in the starting lineup than those other players, then he starts on the bench, or plays in the development team.

Te message that it gives them is that they aren't providing enough for the team. Train and improve if they want to get selected.

• Like 2

The message it would send is that you play for a club that is intent on being the best in Australia and the best in Asia, and we're going to use all the resources that are available to us to achieve those goals.

As you rightly go on to point out, what we are doing is replacing a marquee midfielder with an eye for goal with someone who panics at the sight of the goal and will go backwards and sideways rather than shoot. No wonder the team can't score goals. Absolute shit coaching as far as I am concerned.

Young players in particular develop from game time and I'd rather us give our young Aussies game time when the seniors are injured than an eds kid.

FWI I doubt an eds kid would be of much higher standard than what we have in the squad already. People seem to think kids in premier league academies will instantly be better players than what we have in Aus. Tom King was at Liverpool and seems like he has scraped into our youth squad and plenty of kids head over there never to be seen again because they don't take the next step any kid of a clearly higher level than we have will probably be kept around the squad at city anyways.