Melbourne Football

Robert Koren (confirmed by club as released)

Jimmy

LOOKS like Melbourne City coach John van’t Schip is taking over the mantle of the coach who loves mind games the most from Tony Popovic.

Robert Koren was named in the City squad yesterday but couldn’t get out of a jog in the team’s main training session on Wednesday as he battles to overcome a calf injury. The international marquee is surely no chance to face Newcastle on Sunday.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/aleague-confidential-graham-arnold-engaged-to-girlfriend-wanderers-players-in-demand/story-e6frf4gl-1227092941036

We need to put things into perspective here. Koren is our marquee player, his on big money and fresh from the EPL. To add, he has done at least 4 weeks of solid pre-season which is a lot for a seasoned pro.

More pressure needs to be put on these international players to get themselves right and on the pitch as soon as possible. It's the start of the season and we need our best team playing and picking up points...

How many professional players at this years World Cup said they have not had a break, and they have not played PAIN free for years.. Ronaldo, Messi, both play through the pain barrier... Diego Costa can't even train for Chelsea but seems to play through the pain week in week out...

Koren is our Marquee and if he has a sore calf, bad luck ... Play through the pain I say! Germano this applies to you too...

We need to put things into perspective here. Koren is our marquee player, his on big money and fresh from the EPL. To add, he has done at least 4 weeks of solid pre-season which is a lot for a seasoned pro.

More pressure needs to be put on these international players to get themselves right and on the pitch as soon as possible. It's the start of the season and we need our best team playing and picking up points...

How many professional players at this years World Cup said they have not had a break, and they have not played PAIN free for years.. Ronaldo, Messi, both play through the pain barrier... Diego Costa can't even train for Chelsea but seems to play through the pain week in week out...

Koren is our Marquee and if he has a sore calf, bad luck ... Play through the pain I say! Germano this applies to you too...

lolwtf

Injuries are actually a real thing, believe it or not.

Is it ridiculously naive to expect that since he was named in the initial squad for the weekend's game, he's a good chance of getting up for the derby?

No but I heard somewhere he has has reinjured himself and is unlikely to play this Week!

Yep...here: http://www.a-league.com.au/article/jvs-setback-to-cost-koren-derby-debut/167xytfeclwc31fnip0g1ucsx4#JwX6r77x7VwIM36z.99

"There's no use talking about Robi now," the City coach said of the calf injury victim.

"We're talking about the players we have. When Robi comes in it's going to be a different story.

"He had a little bit of a setback this week, so that was disappointing. We had in our plan to have him available today.

"So we have to see if we can work him up for the derby. But it's going to be doubtful if he's going to be there. That's a big disappointment for everybody and especially for Robi."

If the coach is saying he's 'doubtful' on a Monday, I read that as him being absolutely no chance whatsoever. FFS...

Is it ridiculously naive to expect that since he was named in the initial squad for the weekend's game, he's a good chance of getting up for the derby?

No but I heard somewhere he has has reinjured himself and is unlikely to play this Week!

Yep...here: http://www.a-league.com.au/article/jvs-setback-to-cost-koren-derby-debut/167xytfeclwc31fnip0g1ucsx4#JwX6r77x7VwIM36z.99

"There's no use talking about Robi now," the City coach said of the calf injury victim.

"We're talking about the players we have. When Robi comes in it's going to be a different story.

"He had a little bit of a setback this week, so that was disappointing. We had in our plan to have him available today.

"So we have to see if we can work him up for the derby. But it's going to be doubtful if he's going to be there. That's a big disappointment for everybody and especially for Robi."

If the coach is saying he's 'doubtful' on a Monday, I read that as him being absolutely no chance whatsoever. FFS...

wtf? just our luck, someone needs to replace murdocca, perhaps move duff to midfield and have duganzic as winger

When I had my calf injury after recovering and rehab for 2-3 weeks I managed to get back to training, first session went great, didn't feel anything. The following day pulled up a bit sore, took me another 6 weeks to finally get rid of all the little niggles and play a game. Calf injuries at his age won't go away quickly, of course depending on what severity it was injured.

Don't tell me we've signed another injury-prone marquee...this time for two years?

Looking at our other midfielders...Kalmar, Germano, Murdocca, Mooy, Paartalu, Retre, Melling, Brown, Mauk...if we haven't got someone ready to step up then we've signed a whole lot of duds.

Personally I like the look of James Brown. If Koren can't play I'd put him in the team as a straight swap with Murdocca.

• Like 1

I'd still give Kalmar a go in place of Murdocca.

Sure Murdocca runs and runs and runs and Kalmar sometimes looks lazy, but at least Kalmar is tuned to think 'attackingly' and make a couple of risky through balls/passes rather than be like Murdocca and the first thing to pop into his mind being, "Hrmm...can I play that ball through those two players? A bit risky...am I good enough to kick the ball straight where I want it? If it comes good Villa might have a chance at goal...nah I better be safe and play it backwards".

• Like 2

Hope hes not the new Harry Kewell.... 35 y.o. getting a calf injury which is an old mans injury.... eeeeeeeeeeeeek. we never ever have luck with our marquee signings, probably coz they are all in their mid 30s (fred, engelaar, koren)

yeeeeeeeeep.... the Harry Kewell injury where theres a set back every week and the injury ends up being 10 weeks

Edited by melbournelad55

Sure Murdocca runs and runs and runs and Kalmar sometimes looks lazy, but at least Kalmar is tuned to think 'attackingly' and make a couple of risky through balls/passes rather than be like Murdocca and the first thing to pop into his mind being, "Hrmm...can I play that ball through those two players? A bit risky...am I good enough to kick the ball straight where I want it? If it comes good Villa might have a chance at goal...nah I better be safe and play it backwards".

I think there's definitely something in what your saying. But at the same time, geez did murdocca covered some ground on Sunday. He got man of the match because out of all the players he saw so much of the bloody ball and was everywhere. I'm not sure how a kalmar that won't cover half the ground would impact us. Maybe positively when he's got the ball at his feet, but when he doesn't....

I think there's definitely something in what your saying. But at the same time, geez did murdocca covered some ground on Sunday. He got man of the match because out of all the players he saw so much of the bloody ball and was everywhere. I'm not sure how a kalmar that won't cover half the ground would impact us. Maybe positively when he's got the ball at his feet, but when he doesn't....

I'd prefer to see Mauk 

• Like 1

If Koren was in the EPL do you think that a calf strain would sideline him.????? Think again... He would get a rub and that's it, because if you don't play, you fall further behind the pecking order...

I wonder what you will be saying BT50 & Nate if he is still unavailable for this weekend Darby???

Times have changed, Marquee players are actually here to play... wired yeah???

If Koren was in the EPL do you think that a calf strain would sideline him.????? Think again... He would get a rub and that's it, because if you don't play, you fall further behind the pecking order...

I wonder what you will be saying BT50 & Nate if he is still unavailable for this weekend Darby???

Even if he would play in the Premier League with this strain he shouldn't. It doesn't matter how important the match is to the fans, the player's welfare is more important. Playing through injuries like that can have a serious affect on not only the player being able to be match fit for the club again but being able to run and move properly in the future. I know countless people who played professionally and after they retire their legs are shot for the purpose of getting back one game earlier as you are suggesting.Times have indeed changed it is 2014 and we should not be abusing players like that. 

Edited by JoyfulPenguin
  • Like 1

Daniel Sturridge has been out of action for Liverpool now for a month with a thigh strain. As soon as he returned to train, he got a calf strain. He's been ruled out for another three weeks.

In the PL, if the team doctor says you aren't fit to play, you aren't fit to play, no matter how important the manager is and what they say about it.

Edited by Falastur

Yes I do. If you are injured your injured.

As a coach there is no way I'm taking a player into a game that can't run, and with a soft tissue injury, one extra week is always a good idea.

Koren won't win game for us if he is immobile, in fact he prob becomes a liability.

I hope he gets up, and to be honest, I'd trust a trained professional physio over an opinion on a forum any day of the week.

Have faith in the staff that we have, they are employed rather than us for a reason.

• Like 2

Yes I do. If you are injured your injured.

As a coach there is no way I'm taking a player into a game that can't run, and with a soft tissue injury, one extra week is always a good idea.

Koren won't win game for us if he is immobile, in fact he prob becomes a liability.

I hope he gets up, and to be honest, I'd trust a trained professional physio over an opinion on a forum any day of the week.

Have faith in the staff that we have, they are employed rather than us for a reason.

Pretty much. Coaches/managers tend to take a pretty dim view of players that roll the dice and back themselves in to be right to go, then they play and are a liability on the park.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/essendon-bombers/essendon-coach-mark-thompson-says-joe-daniher-lucky-to-have-kept-his-spot-20140815-104gog.html

From a manager's perspective, it comes down to the age-old question: 'Are you injured, or are your hurt?' And if Koren is 'injured', he sits out until he's not. It's not even a discussion.

Studs up blog

Garuccio and Germano are few weeks away I believe. Koren aggravated the calf late last week, so he could be 2-3 weeks away. Koren played as a false 9 in pre-season, he has an eye for goal, so bw him, Williams, Dugandzic, Duff, they have enough goals in them to be dangerous. James Brown too.