Melbourne Football

Melbourne's New Manager (Aloisi Confirmed Pg 30)

Jimmy

We should be the frontier of decision making and look to the future. Whilst crowds for us are disappointing, I still believe we can have the biggest support in the league in years to come. Not next year, maybe not in 5 years, but the Melbourne sporting market is huge, and whilst Victory think they have the majority of the support, in all seriousness, they have a small percentage of support in Melbourne. There are hundred of thousands of people in the community that do not support a team. The aim should be to get this. Obtain in in every which way. Indian community, Asian community, Greek community, Academic side of Melbourne, Arts side of Melbourne, Corporate side of Melbourne. Just have a vision to market to all these types. Westpac have thousands and thousands of employees, I know the club give them tickets, but what about a Westpac free day, for every employee to obtain a free ticket to come to the game? Stick them at the top of AAMI Park and just make them feel part of the club? Say we get a few families out of that and maybe 3k more people to the game, the atmosphere could attract them into coming back.

Warrior, excellent comments. I read an article 2-3 years ago to the effect that the FA had its Marketing strategy wrong, and that it was focussed on the people who already love the game rather than those who have never been near it. Doesn't matter what it is - everything from ballet to ball games - the vast majority of people simply are not interested and don't go. That's where the potential for growth is.

Perhaps start a Sales and Marketing thread to throw some ideas around during the off-season?

• Like 1

Yeah its a side of the game I love and want it to grow.

I think whilst I applaud the effort we have made in the community and business etc I think more could be done or followed up.

For instance, those fans for AXF, the Asian fans who came to the derby. The one Ando spoke to. What was the follow up on those guys by the club? For doing that, they maybe should have been given a 5 game membership and a function with the players, invite RWU and Yarraside members and have a day at La Trobe interacting with them and our fans. Instantly we have a large base of new fans who feel part of something. It means also, that is a new community that is added. They tell their friends and family how great we are and instantly more attend and so on. It's marketing 101. Just inviting them once, sitting them in a corner and that's it would have done nothing to make them feel part of the club. Whilst we are an infant we need to branch out and extend ourselves as a club to doing the hard yards. Full credit to Ando for branching out, it's what is needed.

Gorilla marketing also attracts me. That is something we the fans could do. Create a website and then launch people handing out cards at their University, Workplace, School, wherever with the website name and have a launch date. If you get 100 people or 1000 people who cares its low cost and on that date and time you launch the website with a Video presenting the Melbourne Heart and the Yarraside and RWU and what you do and say "We want you" to be part of it. Invite them through the website to the Imperial for a Function where you get a couple of players and Scott Munn and there you go. It may or may not work, but it would be fun and could be rewarding. Just on this, have the website name something not related to anything football on the cards etc, make people wonder what the hell is this website that is launching on say May17th at 6pm. There interest will get the better of them.

The club need to ramp it up, but so to do the fans in some ways.

We all love this club, but for it to be around for a few more years, quite simply, the numbers have got to grow. 6,700 members needs to turn into 10,000 members pretty quickly on my thinking. It can happen. 12,000 average crowds (without the derbies) has to be what we want to achieve pretty soon. Number of ways to have this done.

Getting a player like Bresciano and Charisteas to the club attracts people. Doing initiatives like I stated above attracts people. Together a snowball like effect takes place. The number of people in Melbourne that follow the A League would be less than 10% and that is being generous. There is a huge market out there. The club and we as fans need to see this. Football brings people together. It is the Worlds game. So we should target anyone and everyone. Everyone deserves Football. So the club shouldnt just be doing community gigs to soccer clubs as such, but throw an Art expo and get all the Arts people involved in the club. Sponsor an Academic achievement night at LaTrobe and get behind that to get people who have no interest in sport interested in sports through us.

Stop thinking we are small and having a minimalist attitude. Get out there and think massive.

Edited by Dynamo_Melb_Warrior
  • Like 2

Yeah its a pity they have ended up they way they are. Someone with a bit of drive towards the game and not dollars perhaps could have made something of the club, a few players look like they could move on to bigger things in time and hence transfer fees. Be hard to look into the future for 500k-1m when your in a palmer situation and the mints churning out cash at a rate of that every half a dozen hours.

New manager will apparently be announced immediately after the conclusion of the current season... Has he already been signed?

Hopeful way to build up hype? I doubt they've signed anyone. End of season could be either extremely soon or end of the finals period of we progress that far.

JVS will sign at least two of: Behich, Marrone, Dungandzic, Good, Hammil and Goodwin. Let's hope he offers us a reasonable transfer fee.

love to see them all play overseas, then we buy some polished, experienced players and a crowed-pulling marquee.

if JVS gets a coaching role, i think he would put bids in for heart players and he wouldnt be 'cash-stricken' with them either.

hopefully he would have the heart (pardon the pun) to loan us a couple of decent players from his future club.

getting the contracts are pivotal for the future of the club. ie. future transfer fees to the player which we get a cut of.

tweeted Scott Munn Yesterday and asked him:

hello again, what are the chances of Jürgen Klinsmann or Lothar Matthäus becoming the next MHFC coach?

he tweeted back:

less than 5%

in the football world, this means 0%.

will we milicic...

didn't someone already ask him this?

i'm more interested to know what the chances are of Krol being the manager next season

Krol would be an interesting choice but i think that it's only one that the club would consider if they didn't think that Milicic was ready for the job. Krol would want at least a 2 year contract, then the question is whether Milicic would be willing to wait that time for his opportunity to be head coach, especially as Aloisi would also be considered at that stage.

We have to remember we have to do what is best for us, not for Milicic.

If Ante wants to be impatient, that is not our concern. We should be making the decision that will benefit us the most. We have given him the chance, developed him with a coach like JVS, he surely should see that learning more under a coach like Krol would benefit him long term. Krol is not young and would be with us a max say 3 years. That would be perfect for Ante. Maybe not to coach us, but another A League team. Patience sometimes really is a virtue. If he can't see that well then it's his mistake. I am of the opinion for us, getting a coach like Krol to develop Aloisi would be perfect.

If a guy like Krol puts his hand up and wants to coach us, and the money is within our budget, then the club will be stupid going against this if I am honest.

It does seem to be on the cards, does he fill you with eager confidence?

I will still support the club whatever happens, but as Dynamo Melb Warrior say's, it must be in MH best interest and maybe it would be, it's just a total unknowen.

surely now, given we have been told that the coach will be announced immediately after our season is over, it must be Milicic or Aloisi. It wouldn't be Ange because he'd (possibly) still be in the middle of a finals campaign. And it doesn't look like it's going to be an overseas coach.

I'm not sure that this is what Scott Munn said. Pretty certain he said, to the effect that, our new coach would be announced '...around two weeks after the end of the season' and IMO that doesn't imply the 'end of Heart's season.' There was also some contextual stuff about the players going on a month's leave and the coach in place and ready for the pre-season. The Grand Final is on 22nd April. That's 'the end of the season', so perhaps we're looking at an announcement first/second week of May?

Can't see that it could possibly be Aloisi - he's as green as grass - and I'd say the odds are lengthening against Milicic. Why this whole charade if he's going to get the nod?

There was also some contextual stuff about the players going on a month's leave and the coach in place and ready for the pre-season. The Grand Final is on 22nd April. That's 'the end of the season', so perhaps we're looking at an announcement first/second week of May?

This would also work better from a media coverage point of view. It would come a t a time when there is a lull in A-league news as the grand final has obviously been long wrapped up, and it doesn't clash as much with the start of AFL and stuff which means less competition for tv time.

We have to remember we have to do what is best for us, not for Milicic.

Precisely. And what's best for us is someone from outside the present club structure and who actually knows about getting positive results on the field.

'Reaching the finals' is actually a joke - sixth place in a ten-club league, one club of which has been at death's door for the last few weeks of the season - and clouds the reality that in the second half of the season we picked up a measly 13 points from two wins and seven draws.

Perhaps these comments belong better in a 'season review' thread, but the only positive period this season was the Madaschi period. Adrian brought a positive attitude and postive leadership on the field that has been sadly lacking both before and after his time with us. Ante Milicic is part of the structure that made the signings of Maycon, Roganovic and Williams, none of whom have made any significant contribution to the campaign (along with quite a few others), part of the structure that has seen us regularly lose matches we should have drawn and draw matches we should have won, and IMO is definitely not the coach who should take us into next season.

• Like 2

Precisely. And what's best for us is someone from outside the present club structure and who actually knows about getting positive results on the field.

'Reaching the finals' is actually a joke - sixth place in a ten-club league, one club of which has been at death's door for the last few weeks of the season - and clouds the reality that in the second half of the season we picked up a measly 13 points from two wins and seven draws.

Perhaps these comments belong better in a 'season review' thread, but the only positive period this season was the Madaschi period. Adrian brought a positive attitude and postive leadership on the field that has been sadly lacking both before and after his time with us. Ante Milicic is part of the structure that made the signings of Maycon, Roganovic and Williams, none of whom have made any significant contribution to the campaign (along with quite a few others), part of the structure that has seen us regularly lose matches we should have drawn and draw matches we should have won, and IMO is definitely not the coach who should take us into next season.

Agree!

i have a feeling this decision was made when JVS said he wouldn't be at the club next season. From the sounds of it the club didn't have any interest in really appointing anyone else apart from Milicic.

I just hope the club knows what it's doing. It would make us look even more stupid if Milicic/Aloisi fail because of what happened with durakovic at victory.

"The Dutchman, who believes staying in Australia may harm his chances of further employment in the game"

Bahahaha, too true. Unfortunately all evidence can't be destroyed Johnny and the world has already seen even the A-League is beyond you.

Your awesome at the behind the scenes stuff though, well so we're told.

If SBS has faithfully reported JvS' comments then IMO those comments are rather unfortunate. It's not smart to infer that you're too good for where you've been for the past two years and that to stay would harm your prospects elsewhere and your future career, especially when your previous stint as a senior coach was a failure and the present one has not delivered results on the board. I think Heart and the fans have treated JvS pretty well; many clubs would have stood him aside once he indicated he wasn't staying, and many sets of fans turn on the manager when the team isn't doing too well.

A bit sad, really.