Melbourne Football

Melbourne's New Manager (Aloisi Confirmed Pg 30)

Jimmy

Really important decision, can't stress that enough.

JVS has done a remarkable job. Really need to understand that he has set a culture that we need to keep going. We have a set culture that makes us unique in the league, and its something that makes me proud to support the Heart. If you look at it, teams that have been around from inception have struggled to define themselves. Ang has started to do that at Brisbane, maybe Arnie at Central Coast, but look at the so called power houses in the league in Adelaide, Visitards and Sydney and to me anyway, they don't have that definite culture of a certain way of playing and standing for. If the Roar and Mariners change coach, will they continue on their current approach? I doubt it. I understand we are yet to even make a finals campaign, but if you look at the approach from our club, it's a right way of doing things. We stand for something. We are not about spending huge money on bringing in big names and playing the style of play the current coach wants. You can see from what is said out of the club that no matter who comes in, they will continue on our philosophies and principles. Compare that with Sydney, Adelaide and Visitards, and despite their early success (when there was 6 teams in the comp) they stand for nothing. Just trying to poach big names and coaches and play whatever style that current coach wants to play.

The A League is in its infancy still. In 20-30 years these infant years will make the foundations of each club. It's about long term planning and what made me sit up and take notice of this club (despite no V on their shirt being from Tasmanian) was the pure football philosophies this club wanted to impart. Two years later we have a definite culture and something to stand for. It is something I know the club won't give up on and for that I am grateful. Whilst it won't bring success every year, it is something to always hold onto. Forever Melbourne Heart.

Onto who we will see, well to me, as my above long winded rant states, it will be someone from the same school of football philosophy as JVS. Does it have to be a big name? No I see no need for it to be. Will it be an added bonus? Of course it will be, but its not critical.

My choice is Arthur Pappas for two fundamental reasons.

One is he has an eye for talent in the local Australian pool. This in itself is a remarkable skill and one of our main principles in promoting young Australian talent and developing them. To have a manager who stands for this and can execute it at the same time is fantastic. Coming into the club even as a 15, 16 year old you know you will be coming into a club that treasures your talent and will develop it. Arthur has a strong football connection in this country being at the AIS and VPL and that is very important.

The second reason is his football philosophies in playing match that of JVS and the way we are trying to define ourselves. To have a continuation of this is vital as we are building on the pitch at the moment. If I am honest I would of liked JVS for one more season as I think we are still one year away from success on the pitch, but it is not to be so someone with that same philosophy can continue the upward curve we are currently trending.

Arthur has had success being the number one, is young so could be a long, long term coach for us and is a fantastic guy that is respected in football circles. In my opinion he is the outstanding candidate and will be the right choice.

As someone said, get Pappas, then fear us.

Sorry for the long post, just really nervous about the decision. I know the club won't stray off course and keep what makes us unique, I just don't want to turn into nomads like the Visitards. The long term future of this club could be defined with this choice, just as much as it was with the appointment of JVS.

K.I.S.S. = Arthur Pappas as manager of Melbourne Heart. You know it makes sense.

• Like 2

My choice is Arthur Pappas for two fundamental reasons.

Great post there. The only impediment I see to Arthur Papas is that he would have to be appointed over Ante Milicic. That's why I went for them both as assistants to someone else for an interim period. Otherwise, your logic is compelling. Everything about AP fits with what the Heart is all about. It's essential that we get him back from Newcastle whatever way we can - assistant or senior coach doesn't matter. Just get him back.

I did not say that our sole focus should be on Youth. I actually said that Hearts emphasis should be on Youth Development and attractive football, and I should have also added winning and being successful (I agree with you there).

As well as youth, the clubs needs a good proportion of experienced players. Earlier in the year, the mix was just about right at the Heart (although injuries have caused some issues and thrown out the mix - I would suggest that if we could have kept our experienced players, especially Madaschi and Fred, we may be sitting close to the top right now.

In terms of young players, with the huge number kids playing soccer in this country, and the number of exciting young kids who are starting to come through due to better all-round youth development, Australia is going to be a gold mine for future talent. These kids are so much better than the majority of journeymen who came into the A-league when it first kicked off, as well as those who continue to come back from failed excusions overseas.

With the European markets drying up significantly and more worldwide money coming into Asia AND with the continuing opportunity for A-League players to play for Australia (look at the Olyroo squad and the debate around that) the young players will be a core part of the any team that chases long term success in Australia. That being said, clubs do need to hold onto these players until they become so valuable that the only option is to sell them.

Crystal balling, in three or four year times, after winning the title and having some success in Asia, I wouldn't be too upset if Socceroos Mate, Babalj or Behich went off to Italy or the EPL...and when this happens we will have ready made players to step in and fill the breech, or we can purchase those more experienced players with the transfer fees, and so the cycle continues on and on....

hats off to you for going to the Youth games.... I have been meaning to get to a few of those...

All good points Torn, and liked your original post......except Babalj will NOT be a Socceroo on current exploits. And if he is, god help us!

When I meant the target a specific few I meant five or so of their top targets and let them all go through the process and see who fits best. This is done in the AFL all the time and works well.

We are sort of tied as we have lack of funds from my understanding so casting the net far and wide may be pointless.

For instance, I think the chances of another JVS is not going to happen unfortunately. When I mean another JVS I mean high profile. That isn't the end of the world though.

When I meant the target a specific few I meant five or so of their top targets and let them all go through the process and see who fits best. This is done in the AFL all the time and works well.

We are sort of tied as we have lack of funds from my understanding so casting the net far and wide may be pointless.

For instance, I think the chances of another JVS is not going to happen unfortunately. When I mean another JVS I mean high profile. That isn't the end of the world though.

I have no idea on how the AFL system works to be honest with you so I can't comment back on that. As on my suggestion for throwing the net far and wide; you may never know what potential coaching talent we can stumble across if we did. Perhaps a coach from the Albanian Superliga or Belgian Second Division etc etc.

I think we're all thinking a little too dream-like or in the box when it comes to ideas on who the club might approach & whilst as you said, another JVS isn't going to happen it'd be nice to see the club take a chance and perhaps try poach an out of contract coach from somewhere no one expected.

Now I've just confused myself :wacko:

“The coach isn’t a messiah who rules with an iron fist, with decisions made on his whim. You go about picking the right coach for your club because your club wants to be transparent, informed and knowledgeable.

“You don’t put all of your eggs in one basket but you expand your knowledge throughout the coaching team, carrying forward all the knowledge you’re accruing.

“I think a club like Lyon is the perfect example of that: they won seven straight championships and did it under four coaches, which speaks volumes for the way they structure their club to identify the best talent and develop the best talent.

“The identification of John van’t Schip is an example of that, where we said as a club we do want to bring a continental coach who can show us the practices, policies and technical qualities of the best clubs in Europe."

http://www.goal.com/en/news/808/australia/2010/06/01/1952471/exclusive-john-didulica-on-building-the-melbourne-heart

This was on the appointment of JVS, can we expect the same this time? I think so.

I think at this stage it's 45/45/10 split. Milicic/Papas/Anyone-else.

What I am hoping for is:

Head Coach: Ante Milicic

Assistants: Authur Papas, John Aloisi

Youth Team: Josip Skoko

This will give us one of the greatest possible combinations going forward into the future.

Milicic - The only one in the group with a FIFA Pro licence, has done a 2 year apprenticeship under JVS, after wining the NSWPL Premiership. He is a demanding figure and is sure to carry on the current direction/philosophy which has been laid out.

Papas - An absolute tactical genius, fantastic footballing brain, an encyclopedia of Victorian and Ausralian football and a fantastic eye for young tallent.

Aloisi - He's done big things with the youth team in its 1st season as well as assisting the seniors, he can also work with the strikers.

Skoko - Currently heading the MHFC Developmental Squad, finishing his managerial qualifications, needs no introduction, a natural leader.

Edited by LR9

I think at this stage it's 45/45/10 split. Milicic/Papas/Anyone-else.

What I am hoping for is:

Head Coach: Ante Milicic

Assistants: Authur Papas, John Aloisi

Youth Team: Josip Skoko

This will give us one of the greatest possible combinations going forward into the future.

Milicic - The only one in the group with a FIFA Pro licence, has done a 2 year apprenticeship under JVS, after wining the NSWPL Premiership. He is a demanding figure and is sure to carry on the current direction/philosophy which has been laid out.

Papas - An absolute tactical genius, fantastic footballing brain, an encyclopedia of Victorian and Ausralian football and a fantastic eye for young tallent.

Aloisi - He's done big things with the youth team in its 1st season as well as assisting the seniors, he can also work with the strikers.

Skoko - Currently heading the MHFC Developmental Squad, finishing his managerial qualifications, needs no introduction, a natural leader.

This is absolutely ideal, whilst being incredibly young and inexperienced, I would love to see this happen.

Is it not just a list of people who have already been involved with the club?

I am not saying it could not work (I in particular like the sound of Papas) but their seems to be a lot of pump up on this forum to stick with those already involved.

And I cant really understand why?

I don't really see why things have such been raging success that we need to keep things as similar as possible.

As I have spent the last month watch us throw away winnable chances in front of me from the back of the Terrace or behind a Pint glass at The Imp – I am not exactly sold that every thing is going along perfectly.

Sure people can bring up excuses about injuries and the like but if you compare our record to GCU ‘s over their first 2 seasons and we do miss the finals again.

Then I don't really get why an outsider might not be able to help me let me see my side play finals and maybe win trophies.

In pure numbers term its ridiculously easy to make the finals in the A League so IMO if my club falls short then its be a fail mark for the season. Which IMO means an new approach is most likely needed.

I am not saying it could not work (I in particular like the sound of Papas) but their seems to be a lot of pump up on this forum to stick with those already involved.

I don't really see why things have such been raging success that we need to keep things as similar as possible.

As I have spent the last month watch us throw away winnable chances in front of me from the back of the Terrace or behind a Pint glass at The Imp – I am not exactly sold that every thing is going along perfectly.

Sure people can bring up excuses about injuries and the like but if you compare our record to GCU ‘s over their first 2 seasons and we do miss the finals again.

Then I don't really get why an outsider might not be able to help me let me see my side play finals and maybe win trophies.

In pure numbers term its ridiculously easy to make the finals in the A League so IMO if my club falls short then its be a fail mark for the season. Which IMO means an new approach is most likely needed.

Pleased I'm not alone in at least thinking along these lines. ATM we're playing for 5th or 6th place. But if you go back and look at the squad that we had last year, and then the one for this year, you will see that they add up to plenty of experience, plenty of international appearances, and plenty of under-age representative honours. Hell, we could easily supply six players into an Australian U-23 team right now. So in terms of results in the A-League we have underperformed. I like JvS, I'm sorry he's elected to leave, sure we've set up a good culture within the club, learned a lot, and so on and so forth, but just more of the same into the future will simply deliver more of the same - a position in the A-League somewhere between 5th and last. I like the idea of Ante Milicic and Arthur Papas in the coaching team, and I don't really care who the new senior coach is, but whoever it is must bring with them some change. A clone of JvS will not bring change. Merely repeating the mantras of JvS will not bring change. Some, perhaps most, perhaps all, of the players coming out of contract will have to be released. We've talked about all of these things for nearly two seasons now - different game plans, speed up the build-up from the back, the need for a bullocking centre forward, improve our dead-ball performance, - the list goes on. If A+B=C, and you want a different C then you have to change either A or B or both.

Rant over.

Some, perhaps most, perhaps all, of the players coming out of contract will have to be released. We've talked about all of these things for nearly two seasons now - different game plans, speed up the build-up from the back, the need for a bullocking centre forward, improve our dead-ball performance, - the list goes on. If A+B=C, and you want a different C then you have to change either A or B or both.

Rant over.

I love how we all sit here saying get rid of X and replace him with someone better who will deliver results from Day 1. As if it's that easy.

A player delivering in one environment may not necessarily deliver in another. There are expectations off the field as well as on, in terms of fit. There must be a reason Goodwin wasn't picked up by Adelaide at the time. Perhaps he didn't demonstrate consistency, or was carrying minor injuries, or his diet, health or mindset wasn't quite right. Perhaps it was an administrative oversight. Perhaps the roster didn't quite have enough room. Beauchamp was playing at a world cup not that long ago, yet he didn't "cut it" at Heart. Williams was the next big thing in Australian football, now he's a "waste of a contract".

As much as the A-League has improved, it's not exactly a destination of choice for leading talent. There's a salary cap, there's no transfer budget, the clubs are treading a fine line financially, there's no marketing, etc., etc. Roar went 36 unbeaten and have now lost 6 this season. There's a reason why the teams are so close. Injuries do play a huge role because clubs can only afford consistent performers in a small number of positions and then try and make the most of the rest of the cap. Injuries to key players mean there's limited depth. It's only those clubs that have moved to "systems" as opposed to individuals that have been able to achieve success for a period of time, and then only while they have the personnel fit to deliver the system. It's a league of fine margins!

Sometimes you are better off focused on how you can get more out of what you've got than from restarting from scratch with new personnel.

Edited by Caganer

You're right to question whether we're on the right track.

But I think it's about a much broader perspective than whether we make the finals in year 2. What many people like about the club is that it's trying to create a long term strategy for success with its style of football, it's youth development, and the overall philosophy. It's not just about finals this year, although we all want to play finals and win trophies. It's a long term work in progress.

Melbourne Heart is starting to be seen as a model for the rest of the competition because we're one of maybe only a couple of clubs that has an overall direction and a defined idea about what it stands for. And people can see that it's bearing fruit. It's why you can bring in a first gamer and have him perform the way Goodwin did. We identified him as a player that can play the way we want to play, and when he got his chance, he fitted in seamlessly. He's not a star footballer - he couldn't even make it into Adelaide's youth team. Look at Curtis Good's season too - yes, he was a highly regarded youngster, but he's still only 18 years old. Look at how we've turned under-achievers at other clubs like Behich and Dugandzic into stars of the competition and Olyroo representatives. These sorts of players all have years of their best football in front of them. You can't throw out the system that's producing these results after 2 seasons because we haven't won silverware yet. Especially when we've shown that when we get it right, we can outplay anyone in the competition. We've got the makings of a team that could sit in the top three or four this year, and go all the way next year.

You mention Gold Coast, and they did extraordinarily well in their first two years. But they're currently last and probably wont even be around next year. What good has it done them? NQF is already gone. We are the only sustainable expansion club in Australia. Having a consistent approach which is designed to achieve long term success is the way we should continue to go. Picking coaches and hoping they deliver success is risky. There's no guarantee of success no matter who you pick. And if we get it wrong, we may not even be around in a few years.

• Like 2

I wish there was a dislike button.

Why?

Because I refuse to accept my side not making a finals system which is 2/3's of the comp two years in a row as a pass mark?

A pass mark to support the employment of a coaching panel more or less completely internally rather than looking for some new ideas.

I am allowed to be critical of the club - I am not its employee, if anything my membership each year makes me it's employer.

Edited by cadete

But I think it's about a much broader perspective than whether we make the finals in year 2. What many people like about the club is that it's trying to create a long term strategy for success with its style of football, it's youth development, and the overall philosophy. It's not just about finals this year, although we all want to play finals and win trophies. It's a long term work in progress.

Melbourne Heart is starting to be seen as a model for the rest of the competition because we're one of maybe only a couple of clubs that has an overall direction and a defined idea about what it stands for. And people can see that it's bearing fruit. It's why you can bring in a first gamer and have him perform the way Goodwin did. We identified him as a player that can play the way we want to play, and when he got his chance, he fitted in seamlessly. He's not a star footballer - he couldn't even make it into Adelaide's youth team. Look at Curtis Good's season too - yes, he was a highly regarded youngster, but he's still only 18 years old. Look at how we've turned under-achievers at other clubs like Behich and Dugandzic into stars of the competition and Olyroo representatives. These sorts of players all have years of their best football in front of them. You can't throw out the system that's producing these results after 2 seasons because we haven't won silverware yet. Especially when we've shown that when we get it right, we can outplay anyone in the competition. We've got the makings of a team that could sit in the top three or four this year, and go all the way next year.

You mention Gold Coast, and they did extraordinarily well in their first two years. But they're currently last and probably wont even be around next year. What good has it done them? NQF is already gone. We are the only sustainable expansion club in Australia. Having a consistent approach which is designed to achieve long term success is the way we should continue to go. Picking coaches and hoping they deliver success is risky. There's no guarantee of success no matter who you pick. And if we get it wrong, we may not even be around in a few years.

I wonder if this philosophy really is the best approach in a salary capped league

I wonder if this philosophy really is the best approach in a salary capped league

Well it's not based on buying our way to success so I'm not sure how what we're doing is incompatible with a salary cap? Having a focus on young players should keep player payments lower than sides with older squads like Victory and Perth.

Actually, I read something recently about one of the Superbowl clubs and their coach (New England Patriots) who reversed the normal way of paying players - instead of rewarding older players with bigger salaries, they pay players according to what they think they can contribute in the future. So younger players with potential get the high salaries, while they don't offer big salaries for older, more experienced players.

Anyway, this has nothing to do with the thread. I just thought it was interesting. Often the way to success is to do things differently from the crowd.

• Like 1

As always Sash you make some very good points. I'd like to comment that I don't think anyone is suggesting that we back away from the broad and long-term directions that the Board has set - community involvement, youth development and so on. I don't think anyone is suggesting that we go out there and chase instant on-field success by swapping coaches every five minutes. But there's nothing inconsistent about sticking with the longer-term direction AND having on-field success at the same time. The fact is that we ARE faced with selecting a new head coach, and there is a body of opinion that this is an opportunity to make a few changes directed at improving our on-field success, and that merely sticking to the same formula is not likely to do that.

• Like 1

Actually @Sash makes a very good point on money. Instead of paying some guys rediculous wages and having them underperform (like many Victory players) and using up valuable salary cap money. Give some of the promising young guys better money so they cannot be enticed to other clubs and really feel wanted. Of course clubs need their experienced players. Look at the waste of money that Victory, Adelaide & Gold Coast spent. They could have signed 4 promising young guys for the price of one overpaid pop star.

I don't think that there's a problem with our philosophy. I think that the skill set required of a manager/coach who is employed to establish a club culture and development structures and pathways is not necessarily the same skill set required of a coach who is able to get the best out of those things and the players in the club. Perhaps we are now at that next phase, we need to look for a coach who has a proven track record for getting optimum results operating with those structures. I think think that the area of weakness for JVS has been his man management, not necessarily at an individual level but in managing the group of players to get the best from them, hence our 'brittleness' and inconsistency, this is an area that I would particularly be looking for in a new coach.

• Like 4

Can we really afford to invest in an overseas coach? i would dare say that our football department spend would be one of the lowest (if you exclude our coaches wages). We must be sustainable first! with that in mind investing in youth will drop our wage bill and help spread the football department spend.

My vote is for ante to take over. he is the man closest to JVS and can best follow the stones set in place.

If we so not make the finals with JVS, maybe his loss is not a loss after all.

I still think we are on the right track in many leagues around the world having the best youth system will often lead to having the strongest club. Yes it's not always the case but we are already attracting some of the better young players based on our approach Babalj and Dugandzic as they know that if they are good enough they will be given more than enough of a chance to succeed. The more players like Goodwin, Behich (players discarded by there previous clubs, or not even given a chance) start succeeding within our system the more attractive we will become to these talented kids. This will only start to bring potential transfer fees and produce plenty of players who may not move on to europe who will remain loyal to the club.

It is hard to see the fruits of the initial labour that has gone into the club early but the most successful clubs are the ones with a strong identity and philosophy would be stupid now to drop the approach that is developing within the club for the sake of immediate results. On the field we have shown that we are more or less only two signings away from being one of the top clubs. I still think JVS' only mistake in our two years was not signing an experienced CB at the beginning of this season to a permanent deal.

Proud of myself for making it through this entire post without referring back to Ajax. It was hard.

• Like 1

why dont we just bite the bullet and tell JVS that there is no need him staying for the remainder of the year, considering he will not be with us next season. we can offer ante the caretaker job - with the view of a full time appointment.

this might give the boys a good kick up the bum and maybe turn our fortune around. we are yet to win a game in 2012. what harm will it do?

do we really think our players (or any player) will give 100% knowing the head coach will not be there next year?

I tend to agree with you mark, when someone doesn't want to be there in the future I would personally walk them to the door today.

Let Ante take them thru the next 6 weeks(finals will now be a miracle as our outs will still need a couple of games to be 100%) and then do whatever is needed to secure Ange Postecoglou for next season asap.

Edited by downbylaw

I tend to agree with you mark, when someone doesn't want to be there in the future I would personally walk them to the door today.

Let Ante take them thru the next 6 weeks(finals will now be a miracle as our outs will still need a couple of games to be 100%) and then do whatever is needed to secure Ange Postecoglou for next season.

Don't really want Ange as our manager, but wouldn't be overly disappointed if he was the one who ended up in the role. Milicic should be put in as interim straight away, with either him or someone else relatively cheap for next season. This will free up some cash to upgrade some of our dud imports.

Edited by NoMorePineapple

This will free up some cash to upgrade some of our dud imports.

That's the exciting thing about him moving on. Im far from a JVS hater and appreciate what his done for the club, injuries have decimated us and the only thing I can fault the bloke on is one or two debatable decisions in regards to our squad. I don't know the exact figure but it varies from 500k-750k so I presume someone like Ange is on 200-400k which frees up a lot of money(if it's available of course).

Fred on a reported 100k a year and I'm happy with that so what sort of player could we entice with around 200k a year.....

Arthur Papas looks better and better all the time. Part of the improvement at the Jets, has coached in his own right with senior players, knows our system but is coming from the outside looking in rather than having any ties to certain players. Also won;t cost the world and knows the VPL and Australian scene as well as anyone.

To me anyway he seems logical.

Arthur Papas looks better and better all the time. Part of the improvement at the Jets, has coached in his own right with senior players, knows our system but is coming from the outside looking in rather than having any ties to certain players. Also won;t cost the world and knows the VPL and Australian scene as well as anyone.

To me anyway he seems logical.

Arthur was the coach instrumental in getting Craig Goodwin and Jeremy Walker into Oakleigh then to Heart. He has an eye for talent. I cannot think of any player he brought to either Altona or Oakleigh that has been a flop. At least get him in as an assistant, his eye for talent is exceptional. He is a coach of the future and knows the Australian scene. I think he will be an A-League coach of the future if not sooner. But will Newcastle let him go. We should have pulled out the dollars to keep him here.

Arthur was the coach instrumental in getting Craig Goodwin and Jeremy Walker into Oakleigh then to Heart. He has an eye for talent. I cannot think of any player he brought to either Altona or Oakleigh that has been a flop. At least get him in as an assistant, his eye for talent is exceptional. He is a coach of the future and knows the Australian scene. I think he will be an A-League coach of the future if not sooner. But will Newcastle let him go. We should have pulled out the dollars to keep him here.

I do not think we would get him in as an assistant, but definitely Manager we would. I think he is the right choice. Should be given the role now to assess the players and make changes for next season.

why dont we just bite the bullet and tell JVS that there is no need him staying for the remainder of the year, considering he will not be with us next season. we can offer ante the caretaker job - with the view of a full time appointment.

this might give the boys a good kick up the bum and maybe turn our fortune around. we are yet to win a game in 2012. what harm will it do?

do we really think our players (or any player) will give 100% knowing the head coach will not be there next year?

My point from the moment he announced that he was rejecting the club's offer. It is standard practice in business and industry when people in certain key roles resign - they are asked to clear their desk and leave immediately. Ante Milicic can handle the last six in a caretaker role.

And I agree. Arthur Papas looks better and better. I can't see we have anything whatsoever to lose by giving him the chance. And what a story if he made a go of it!