Melbourne Football

Melbourne's New Manager (Aloisi Confirmed Pg 30)

Jimmy

For a club still building a following and wanting to be recognized, Aloisi and Milicic should be out of the question.

Need another european coach (do not want a british hack), with similar philosophies and ideas as JVS. If aloisi gets the role it WILL end up like durakovic at victory. At the end of the day we want to have people like Aloisi around the club working with the youth, and what do we achieve if he gets promoted to senior role like durakovic and ends up being sacked halfway through the season?

I can see Milicic being a head coach in the future, but he is still learning the ropes and we can't take that risk of appointing an amateur coach when next season should really be the season where we'll have a good crack at winning the league.

Need to appoint another big name from europe like JVS, that is recognized world wide for another 2 year contract. For a club still in its early stages, we need to be appointing the right people if we want to be a big player in the league and in melbourne.

• Like 1

From Wiipedia:

Miličić returned home to his club, Sydney United as Player/Coach for season 2009 and 2010 in the NSW Premier League. It is his first venture as coach and currently boasts a record of 9 wins (8 in Premier League 1 Tiger Turf Cup), 2 Draws and 1 Loss.

He was also called up as an Assistant Coach to the Under 20's Young Socceroos team for the 2009 FIFA U-20 World Cup in Egypt and Assistant in Under 20s World Cup in Colombia 2011.

On the 18th November 2009 it was announced that he would be joining Jesper Olsen as an assistant coach at new A-League franchise Melbourne Heart.

So his experience as a senior coach is only brief, but successful. I thought he'd had more experience at Sydney United. Is that an up to date entry? I thought he coached them to the title?

jw1739 and Pandev, I agree with your thoughtful comments. Ante Milicic would be the natural first choice but I (and probably nobody outside the Heart Football department) have a clear sense of his readiness. If it isn't going to be him, we also need to recruit with a future succession plan in mind - Aloisi or Milicic to replace them? We've set down a clear playing and club philosophy so there are now very clear criteria for the next round of applicants. One thing in our favour ATM is the strong Aussie dollar and the perilous European economic situation, we are now more in the position of being able to choose from who we want rather than choose from who we can get.

JVS's strengths were his clear playing philosophy, youth development and tactical skill, his weakness (and every coach has them) was perhaps his man management. He was ideal as a foundation coach, now we need a 'consolidation coach'.

Miličić returned home to his club, Sydney United as Player/Coach for season 2009 and 2010 in the NSW Premier League. It is his first venture as coach and currently boasts a record of 9 wins (8 in Premier League 1 Tiger Turf Cup), 2 Draws and 1 Loss.

So his experience as a senior coach is only brief, but successful. I thought he'd had more experience at Sydney United. Is that an up to date entry? I thought he coached them to the title?

Sash, he was player/coach of Sydney United for the 2009 season. United finished on top of the ladder, but were eliminated in the play-offs.

TBH, I don't think he has any real senior experience as a stand-alone coach.

I would suggest that the Heart Board has a very clear set of criteria that they will use for JvS' successor. I doubt that Ante would satisfy those at the present time. Neither would John Aloisi. JA is very raw. He showed it at the NYL game against Brisbane when we lost 5-1 - I won't elaborate except to say the language he was using was not what I expected from a NYL coach.

I would think that Ange Postecoglou is definitely on Heart's radar.

And I hope we get our finger out and get Arthur Papas back to Heart. If not he'll be poaching some of our youth players, such as Craig Goodwin and Jeremy Walker. Ange as senior coach, with Arthur and Ante as assistants. That's my "A-team"...

A few good posts here. Certainly the club is likely to be looking for saving a LOT of money with the new appointment, but not to buy players (sadly) but rather reduce the losses. Having said that the strength of the Aussie dollar would improve the chances of recruiting a European, if thats the way they wanted to go.

I still expect an Aussie to be appointed though and Milicic would be looked at closely- those at the club will know if he's ready.

All the usual Aussie suspects will also be looked at - Ange would be fantastic and his style would blend well with JVS's, but I'm not holding my breath. Other Aussie managers I rate are Culina and Farina. In Farina's case you'd want to be confident he had his drinking under control- maybe he would given that he's been in PNG and thus has probably drunk 4 or 5 years consumption, which would be enough to tide him over for a while I would have thought (more seriously FF also has a good record developing youth)

A few good posts here. Certainly the club is likely to be looking for saving a LOT of money with the new appointment, but not to buy players (sadly) but rather reduce the losses. Having said that the strength of the Aussie dollar would improve the chances of recruiting a European, if thats the way they wanted to go.

Agree with this and I personally can't fault the club for doing so. We need the club to be sustainable and viable off the field, especially over the coming few years for stability, and that means keeping the purse strings tight to an extent.

You are just throwing words out there, explain to me what impact they have.

Ah jeez, with no real managerial experience regardless if he at the moment is assistant manager, he has no first hand experience of how the A-League plays out differently to state leagues.

Now answer me this, why is he first choice over someone with A-League or foreign managerial experience?

Ah jeez, with no real managerial experience regardless if he at the moment is assistant manager, he has no first hand experience of how the A-League plays out differently to state leagues.

Now answer me this, why is he first choice over someone with A-League or foreign managerial experience?

Sorry, but you were talking about Paramatta and I asked you about his playing career, so how did we end up talking about non-playing career?

Anyway, to answer your question:

He would be cheap, we don't have big money to throw around.

His small time in charge of a team went well, signalling that he might actually be a good coach who just needs a chance.

He has had a chance to work under JVS, potentially allowing a continuation of the system the players have been acquired for, been training for, and have been playing.

He knows the players and they know him, causing minimal disruptions.

Those above him would know how he interacts with the players, and how they respond to him. If this is positive, then this gives him an advantage over someone new where it would be unknown.

Can potentially communicate better with players then some foreign coaches.

Its the A-League, the standard of head coaches isn't particularly high, so I can't see him ending up being significantly below standard.

Sorry, but you were talking about Paramatta and I asked you about his playing career, so how did we end up talking about non-playing career?

Anyway, to answer your question:

He would be cheap, we don't have big money to throw around.

His small time in charge of a team went well, signalling that he might actually be a good coach who just needs a chance.

He has had a chance to work under JVS, potentially allowing a continuation of the system the players have been acquired for, been training for, and have been playing.

He knows the players and they know him, causing minimal disruptions.

Those above him would know how he interacts with the players, and how they respond to him. If this is positive, then this gives him an advantage over someone new where it would be unknown.

Can potentially communicate better with players then some foreign coaches.

Its the A-League, the standard of head coaches isn't particularly high, so I can't see him ending up being significantly below standard.

I said level of play in my first post rofff.

Would like someone with a little more experience managing, not a few games......... Don't want a manager like Durakovic who is sacked within 6 months & we are left in a sh*tstorm.

^so basically our very own Memhet?

rather we get someone who has acctually been head coach and better yet someone who has coached in this league

Thats just one example, plenty of managers appointed to much bigger teams without any experience and have done well. Thats how inexperience goes, you could have a dud, you could have a top quality coach that you otherwise wouldn't be able to afford or attract. You dont know. Every coach has to start somewhere.

Recent example to counter your mehmet, Vilas Boas, what experience as a head coach did he have before Academica? Some BS stint in charge of some tiny island country I dont even remember, not sure they are even a FIFA member. ANd he did well. Didn't even have a playing career. And then after 1 season he moved to Porto a top club in Europe, with very little experience, and what happened?

There are many similar examples on both side of the argument, your mehmet example doesnt hold any weight.

Peter Sidwell has been quoted as saying that JvS was worth a lot more to Heart than just his coaching ability. IMO the Board will want his successor to have not necessarily the same but a similar 'X-factor' that will encourage quality players, young and mature, to want to play for the Heart. The Board was very happy to appoint Ante Milicic as an assistant to JvS, and they wouldn't have done that if they didn't think he was a good fit for the club's philosophies, but I doubt that at this point in time they would see him as JvS' successor. Not yet anyway. They'll value Ante for being there during the transition period and the support he'll give to the incoming coach, and that will stand him in good stead in the future. Just a personal opinion.

Peter Sidwell has been quoted as saying that JvS was worth a lot more to Heart than just his coaching ability. IMO the Board will want his successor to have not necessarily the same but a similar 'X-factor' that will encourage quality players, young and mature, to want to play for the Heart. The Board was very happy to appoint Ante Milicic as an assistant to JvS, and they wouldn't have done that if they didn't think he was a good fit for the club's philosophies, but I doubt that at this point in time they would see him as JvS' successor. Not yet anyway. They'll value Ante for being there during the transition period and the support he'll give to the incoming coach, and that will stand him in good stead in the future. Just a personal opinion.

The point you make about JVS' ability to attract players is probably the best argument against someone like Milicic getting the job that has been made in this thread. But, honestly who have we really attracted that we wouldn't have been able to before? Is it worth paying so much more salary for?

Edited by Tesla

If Milicic becomes manager I would like to see Aloisi become assistant and Paps brought back in as youth coach (good VPL scout and very good reputation for a young bloke).

Milicic should be given a 2 year deal with KPIs he has to hit and should be assessed at each quater of the season.

You wouldn't think he would be offered more then 200-250k a year?

but if Ange is available GET ON IT!

• Like 1

If Milicic becomes manager I would like to see Aloisi become assistant and Paps brought back in as youth coach (good VPL scout and very good reputation for a young bloke).

Milicic should be given a 2 year deal with KPIs he has to hit and should be assessed at each quater of the season.

You wouldn't think he would be offered more then 200-250k a year?

but if Ange is available GET ON IT!

Yeh very much agree with this, Aloisi is not ready for a head coaching role.

Yes it does hold weight, we aren't as big as Academica or even Victory, so if we find a 'dud' & we sack him after 6 months, we don't know if we'll be able to survive the storm, I'd rather not take the chance of someone with much experience at this stage in our short existence.

If you want to talk about the risk to our survival, money is as much a risk as our performance.

Look at it this way.

I cant off the top of my head think of a better Australian option we could appoint.

An expensive foreign coach is a bad idea considering our financial position, and that there really isn't a need to spend that money considering the standard of coaches in the league, Graham Arnold ffs.

Some reasonably good overseas coach at a good wage? Sure, but if they are coming in on a reasonable wage they aren't going to be particularly proven either and will have to adjust to the country, and team, which leaves them just as risky.

And since I see Milicic as the cheapest option, plus also the most willing to accept a short contract, if he does fail it will be the least costly.

If MHFC appoint Farina, I would consider not purchasing a membership. They guy was a nightmare when he coached Australia!

Arnold and Postecogolou where just as bad if not worse managing NTs than Farina, and during his stint in charge of Roar he did well. I dont think such an over reaction is necessary.

Agreed! It'd be nice to keep things going with what we have and strengthening it. Sometimes you just have to give people a chance. All coaches started somewhere and none of them (correct me if I'm wrong though) became miraculously brilliant over night.

The point you make about JVS' ability to attract players is probably the best argument against someone like Milicic getting the job that has been made in this thread. But, honestly who have we really attracted that we wouldn't have been able to before? Is it worth paying so much more salary for?

That's indeed a very powerful point Tesla. I guess I was really paraphrasing Peter Sidwell's comment rather than validating it. In fact, we could mount an argument that JvS has actually failed to attract anyone of note, certainly if we consider overseas players and his off-season scouting in Europe. For example, you have to admire Postecoglou for getting Broich...and we got Maycon?

I have faith that the club will take their time and bring in another tactically astute Manager from either the Netherlands or maybe Germany, with a strong emphasis on youth development and attractive football. Someone who is, or was a proven Youth Team Manager with a track record of learning from the best, and nurturing and developing future stars, AND who is ready to step up to the senior level. This will allow the current second string managers to keep learning and developing until they get their chance, which may come after the next manager's term.

Even considering JVS's salary, this is the best we can hope for in terms of continuing to build and develop the club. We should (unless it is a no brainer) steer clear of EPL / Scottish type managers as only the ones with no potential would consider coming to the A-league (although Grayson did a great job for the most part at Leeds).

Can anyone produce a list of current Youth Team coaches (and their successes) from say The Netherlands, Germany and Spain? (maybe from the latest version of Football Manager, which I don't have)

I imagine that JVS will assist in this recruiting process and in terms of the club's business experience and overall vision, Heart are well placed to undertake a thorough and astute process to find and employ a new manager who will be successful.

• Like 1

since magilton's appointment, and even earlier merrick's sacking people seem to be against british managers.

it's an interesting theory and i'm wondering if anyone has evidence/stats to prove that a british heritage manager would not work? what is it about the style of play in the UK that apparently every manager swears by that we must do all we can to steer away from it?