Melbourne Football

Melbourne's New Manager (Aloisi Confirmed Pg 30)

Jimmy

Don't forget at this point in time our squad is vastly different in age to the other mob. The nucleus is in place player wise, I can't see how a player with a profile wouldn't benefit the club more than another manager with a profile.

People don't go to matches to watch a manager.

Edited by downbylaw

Don't forget at this point in time our squad is vastly different in age to the other mob. The nucleus is in place player wise, I can't see how a player with a profile wouldn't benefit the club more than another manager with a profile.

People don't go to matches to watch a manager.

we don't need a coach with a profile, we need a coach with experience, both tactically and in man management. JVS is very good with the former, less good with the latter.

Melbourne Heart field interest in coaching role, but have A-League finals firmly in sights

By Paddy Higgs

Melbourne Heart are receiving "daily" enquiries into their soon-to-be-vacant coaching post, but will put their energies into clinching an A-League finals spot before beginning the search for John van 't Schip's replacement.

Former Netherlands international van 't Schip announced on February 1 he would be returning to Holland when Heart's 2011-12 season concludes, with his side holding on to a finals spot with five matches remaining.

Sydney FC announced two days later coach Vitezslav Lavicka would be abdicating his post in similar circumstances, with speculation linking the likes of Roy Keane, Dwight Yorke and Gianfranco Zola to the Sky Blues' post.

In contrast, few names have been linked with the Heart job. With his club's finals spot still in the balance, however, football operations manager John Didulica is content to save the speculation for later.

"Our one focus is through to the end of the season. We don't want any distractions from our final five games we've got to play," he told Goal.com.

"That'll be our number one focus, on getting to the end of the season, hopefully making the finals. If that means we've got to push back the interview process, then we'll do that, because (finals are) first and foremost in our minds right now."

Didulica said Heart's first task in their search will be to draft a profile of the new coach the club was after.

He has already fielded numerous enquiries over the position, and said the club had no preference of whether their man was local or foreign.

"I've received a number of CVs from Australia, from overseas. I think it demonstrates that the A-League certainly is a desirable place to come and work," he said.

"We've had some good quality guys from high-quality pedigree. We want somebody who can continue and build what we've already put in place

"I think that is a testament to the good work that John has done, and his assistants and the board as well.

"We've got quite a distinctive way we like to play, we've got a youthful playing roster, we've got a focus on community engagement. We need someone who can satisfy all those sorts of areas."

http://www.goal.com/en/news/808/australia/2012/02/23/2923317/melbourne-heart-field-interest-in-coaching-role-but-have-

Rijkard would be amazing, but it aint gonna happen. Sure it was a major fall from grace to where he is now, but he would most likely be on big amounts of money. He wont get that from us so he will prob goto some middle eastern club who will pay him big money.

Franz straka or pappas is my choice, really don't want millicic

I doubt that the Board will seriously consider either Ante Milicic or John Aloisi if they have any other suitable applicant. I'd suggest that an appointment of either AM or JA would inevitably lead to tensions, and I doubt that anyone wants that at such a stage in our formative years.

Aloisi no, but Milicic is one of the front runners.

He's even taken on more workload on match day as well as doing more media work. JvS publicly praised him for a reason.

Also fwiw, I read an article last week saying Milicic had been lined up for West Sydney, should GCU fold.

Aloisi no, but Milicic is one of the front runners.

He's even taken on more workload on match day as well as doing more media work. JvS publicly praised him for a reason.

Also fwiw, I read an article last week saying Milicic had been lined up for West Sydney, should GCU fold.

JVS could have praised milicic because the club wanted him to so that the fans are more accepting of him

Even if such a thing was possible, why would we want Rijkard? Its overkill and a waste of money. The top managers by A League standards are Graham and Ange LOL. Both complete disasters when in charge of our national teams. Rijkard is about 23534563464564566456 levels above the best managers in this league. It would be nice for sure, but given the club is struggling financially already, it would be stupid.

Obviously Scott Munn has been following the forum, and saw that the legendary Tesla recommended Milicic, so he has gone ahead and decided it will be Milicic and is now preparing for that, having JVS talk him up, etc.

Rather than focus on names (we tend to do the same thing when discussing potential Heart players) we should list out the preferred attributes and qualities we want for the new coach of Melbourne Heart. Set out a table of 'musts' and 'wants.' After we've done that then we can see how the possible candidates stack up against the criteria.

Fairly standard management practice to do this. Many's the time people are hired and then found to be unsatisfactory because this process was not applied.

Another factor to be taken into consideration is that people close to the job in question, or to some of the candidates, are usually unable to make an unbiased assessment of the candidates. This is why many companies now use recruitment agencies to do the sifting to come up with the final shortlist.

If Heart wishes to hire me for my experience in this field I am available...

Maybe they should shortlist Aad de, again...!?

Yes, he is 64, bit so what!

Seasoned pro, has a huge footballing network, experience in the Asian market, relatively successful and a fantastic eye for talent and youth development.

Aad de Mos*

Anyway, agreed!

Great pedigree, good connections, decent record.

Would definitely like having him here.

I think that you have to distinguish between the coach's tactics and the team mentality. KSA played well for 1 1/2 halfs but then just crumbled like few teams I've seen at this level after we equalised. That has more to do with player mentality. One difference between coaching a national team and a club team is that you have less time with the national team to establish a culture, less games to correct problems and a restricted player list (only from 1 country). KSA actually played much like Heart.

Be interesting to hear what Ante's prefered playing style would be. Having been under JVS for two years I would be slightly concerned if it's an almost like for like swap, I'm not sold on it myself.

I want Ange Posti as honestly the only team in the HAl that's a joy to watch is Brisbane.

Shit not ANGE!!! No way in hell!

We play a much more flexible style that Roar. Ange plays his team the same way every game no matter what the opponent and players have to find a way to be creative from within that style. Our style depends on our opponents and our available players but is based around fast counter-attacks stretching play on the wings, and to a lesser extent possession. Roar's style will come up against it's limitations sooner, our style is more difficult to do well.

• Like 1

What do we make of Newcastle's revival this season and thus, the experience Arthur Papas has got under GVE?

I think the club will not spend a bucket load on the coach. They want that money back into the club and I cannot blame them despite my preference for an experienced coach.

I think Ante has the gig, just think the club want to keep the same thing going and not break up the spike we are having. I don't fully agree with this as I think Ante will lack the tactical nous of JVS and I think the club need to climb a few levels before satisfaction takes place.

If say we go from a $700,000 a year coach to a $250,000 a year coach, I would want that money invested in other areas, like Scouting and Marketing and things that will take the club to the top of the A League.

That should be the aim. Whether it be the decision with the coach, recruiting players, marketing, whatever, it should be the aim of the club to be the absolute best in league. As more clubs come in to the league, we should not make the mistake like Victory have when the league expanded they were still stuck with that vision and mentality of 6 clubs and have fallen badly.

We should be the frontier of decision making and look to the future. Whilst crowds for us are disappointing, I still believe we can have the biggest support in the league in years to come. Not next year, maybe not in 5 years, but the Melbourne sporting market is huge, and whilst Victory think they have the majority of the support, in all seriousness, they have a small percentage of support in Melbourne. There are hundred of thousands of people in the community that do not support a team. The aim should be to get this. Obtain in in every which way. Indian community, Asian community, Greek community, Academic side of Melbourne, Arts side of Melbourne, Corporate side of Melbourne. Just have a vision to market to all these types. Westpac have thousands and thousands of employees, I know the club give them tickets, but what about a Westpac free day, for every employee to obtain a free ticket to come to the game? Stick them at the top of AAMI Park and just make them feel part of the club? Say we get a few families out of that and maybe 3k more people to the game, the atmosphere could attract them into coming back.

The new manager is a massive decision, as we can see from some other sides, getting it wrong can have disastrous affects and unlike some other sides, we cannot afford at this point of time, to get this wrong on that scale.

I must say, whilst I will enjoy the run home and hopefully the finals birth, I am somewhat a forward thinker and my thoughts are also with this decision.