Melbourne Football

Melbourne's New Manager (Aloisi Confirmed Pg 30)

Jimmy

Yeah. Like Maycon.

There's one small difference, Milicic has been there for 2 years and knows the club and the club knows him, Maycon was signed from his DVD. None of us are in a position to judge his ability but the coaching group will have the most information with which to make their decision. They may not always get it right as happened with Maycon as every appointment is a gamble to some extent, either with ability, experience or fitness (unless we are able to pay EPL level fees) but I wouldn't automatically dismiss him as a suitable coach until he has had a chance to demonstrate his skills.

There's one small difference, Milicic has been there for 2 years and knows the club and the club knows him, Maycon was signed from his DVD. None of us are in a position to judge his ability but the coaching group will have the most information with which to make their decision. They may not always get it right as happened with Maycon as every appointment is a gamble to some extent, either with ability, experience or fitness (unless we are able to pay EPL level fees) but I wouldn't automatically dismiss him as a suitable coach until he has had a chance to demonstrate his skills.

This is true. And as I have said before I am not against Milicic getting the spot as such. Personally I would rather AM serve under a successful coach before taking the wheel, but it does not look as though we are in a position to do that, so he would be the obvious choice. I was more pointing out that just because the board see something in someone, does not automatically reassure me.

The problem is that all assistant coaches worry that the longer they spend in the assistant role the less likely they are to be seen as a senior coach. JVS found himself in that situation and it's one of the reasons why he was keen on the Heart job. Milicic is in the same position, if we signed someone else they wouldn't come for less than a 2 year contract and he'd be unlikely to stay another 2 years. If he's not seen to be up for the job then fine, let him go, however if he's likely to do the job then give him a go.

Absolutely agree. I just wish that he had served under the JvS that many of us expected to see, instead of the JvS that we got.

you werent completely happy with the JvS reign?

i thought he wasnt bad at all.... maybe on a contract that was a bit too steep though....

I think that JVS suffers from our unrealistic expectations of him. He also was/is a junior senior team first coach but came with crucial experience in what we really needed, development of club culture and youth development. If he'd also been a well credentialed senior coach with a long history of success then we wouldn't have been able to afford him even if he'd wanted to come here. I hear that his pay was around $500k not the rumoured $700k, but given the foundation role, the pay-off will occur over many years to come (hopefully). Milicic will have learned from JVS but also come with his own ideas, we can only benefit from that. If we get somebody better than Milicic then we can only benefit from that decision. If we don't, that's because there isn't anyone available.

maybe on a contract that was a bit too steep though....

This.

Dont get me wrong, I am not here for silverware. If we are dead last every season, I will still be here. I just feel that for what he was on (500 or 700k) we should have at least been competitive which I dont think we were.

This.

Dont get me wrong, I am not here for silverware. If we are dead last every season, I will still be here. I just feel that for what he was on (500 or 700k) we should have at least been competitive which I dont think we were.

and its not like we won a trophy while paying that much for a manager!

but ill still be here if we dont get a point for the next 50 years :)

he did build us an identity however, and attracted quite a few supporters because of his 'Dutch Influence'.

a positive of having someone like Milicicas coach is the fact that his wage would be much less then 1/2 of the players, which most of the money should be going to IMO.

Edited by nicotera5

empty_bank.jpg

Re-posted for accuracy. Cash, no cash.

After blowing 700k more than we should have last time around, there's no way in hell the budget would stretch anywhere past 150k maximum, performance bonuses included in that.

Ideally a one year deal containing a slightly improved base rate option for the 2nd year depending on KPIs being meet.

Apparently AM and JA are highly rated by club.

But are they not the 2 ppl most qualified to rate prospective coaches at the club?

This is my point all along I really don't give much worth to the statement "They are highly rated by the club".

I mean besides these two who else is doing the "Rating" at the club.

As I said earlier its not like guys such as Munn know much about coaching.

John Didiluca is the director of football so it's his role to advise the Board.

Yes, but it is/was SM and JD who have/had the job of drawing up the criteria for the new coach. SM said so himself. IMO the club was caught on the back foot by the JvS decision - I think they fully expected him to sign on for a further year. Had they expected that he would leave they would have been in a better state of readiness than they were.

Who lets a 3rd year leave after being chosen and placed to work one on one with the most expensive employee in not only your businesses history but the national trade. Heir apparent was chosen long ago when they went with jvs. Looks like an intended 3 year plan/investment which of course may or may not payoff and has been brought forward. They would have been hoping for a decent reduction and while there may have been a little room to move our final offer wasn't close, money talks. Club just biding it's time having thrown a  few diversionary media releases, busy crossing the t's, some time passes and news is released. No murmers of unhappiness from players so he appears to have there backing. I'm looking forward to it to be honest. Birth of the club was focussed on foundations but this current evolutionary period is about the cattle. Bets were placed long ago on the successor and its all in. Get the cattle right and if the gamble pays off the return could be huge. Goes wrong and its potentially lights out or years of battling and struggling while getting by on tv rights.

Edited by downbylaw

Half full or half empty it's all just an individuals perception. I'm actually excited and enthused about the future with the possibilities that have now opened up.

Poor crowds, millions lost, impending rent increases and other factors don't bode well for anyone's sustainability though, no matter how rosey your glasses are.

Critical time to secure it's future, its a defining moment in time for the club and basically get it right and were off and running.

Bad decision after bad decision only ends one way in a competition that has lost 3 clubs in 7 years though, that's not perception but cold hard facts.

Happy easter JW, ya missed one behind the couch mate ;)

• Like 1

^ The thing is, although we have lost money, it seems we have done a lot better than the other expansion clubs in the first 2 years, performance was average, but business wise there are some good relationships there & I really doubt the FFA would let us fuck up, even before GCU was booted.

Critical time to secure it's future, its a defining moment in time for the club and basically get it right and were off and running.

Agree wholeheartedly. IMO next season is the most important in our short existence by a long, long way.

Enjoy your posts - keep 'em coming.

The dog found the one behind the couch.

Half full or half empty it's all just an individuals perception. I'm actually excited and enthused about the future with the possibilities that have now opened up.

Poor crowds, millions lost, impending rent increases and other factors don't bode well for anyone's sustainability though, no matter how rosey your glasses are.

Bad decision after bad decision only ends one way in a competition that has lost 3 clubs in 7 years though, that's not perception but cold hard facts.

Happy easter JW, ya missed one behind the couch mate ;)

I should have taken your spoonfull of pessimism with unbridled gusto. Criticaly defining moments abound.

Miron would help in terms of media and he would be on less than JVS at least, as would Culina

i would rage quit life if we paid a manager anything near what JvS was on.

apparently he was on $500,000 - $750,000 a year and i think we also bought him a Porche 4WD.

Miron would be good, and he does have a fair bit of experience.

think we have to be realistic here. JVS is a great youth coach, nothing more. He has coached at the highest youth level being head coach of Ajax youth team and produced some of the current worlds best such as Wesley Sneijder and Rafael Van der Vaart to name a couple. If he was a good senior coach he would have had more opportunities and more success in that area but he hasn't.

He has basically come here and has done what he knows best, and that is developing youth. When it comes to youth, JVS is world class, because he has a knack of bringing out the best in young players. He obviously knows he football and has been taught well by experienced coaches he has worked under, but it's yet to been seen whether he can be a successful senior head coach.

I would appoint him youth team head coach and also to be one of the assistants for senior team

Bingo, probably too much of a work load. I would have him as assistant and leave JA where he is, too early for him to take a senior role.

Edited by Rellum

Pretty sure Papas is still gunna be at Newcastle...

For me the best (realistic) outcome I'd like to see:

FOM - John Didilica

DoF - Brank Culina

Head Coach - Milicic

Assistant - Aloisi

Assistant/GK/Back-up Keeper - Clint Bolton

Assistant/Youth - Mike Mulvey

Development team - Josip Skoko

TBH if I was a regular Mong.net user it would be a list I would be highlighting... Pretty fucken pathetic.

lol. Youre right though.

from what i remember, JvS wages were as much as all these guys wages put together.

we need some more experience but also proven quality.