Melbourne Football

Melbourne's New Manager (Aloisi Confirmed Pg 30)

Jimmy

How is the board going behind eachothers back, chasing pipe dreams like a 'big name experienced coach' good news for the club?

If LR9's sauce is BBQ, it just shows there is some serious misunderstanding and discontent amongst MHFC stakeholders, differing football ideologies and season targets and that sort of thing. What happens when one of them cracks the shits and leaves? We going to beg Mirabella to come back throw cash at us again?

How is the board going behind eachothers back, chasing pipe dreams like a 'big name experienced coach' good news for the club?

If LR9's sauce is BBQ, it just shows there is some serious misunderstanding and discontent amongst MHFC stakeholders, differing football ideologies and season targets and that sort of thing. What happens when one of them cracks the shits and leaves? We going to beg Mirabella to come back throw cash at us again?

Isn't 'serious misunderstanding and discontent' a bit of an exaggeration? IMO it's a good thing that the Board is taking an active interest in the appointment, rather than just providing a rubber stamp. I'd say the Board is justified in asking a lot of questions about how we can go from a high-profile coach who cost us $1.5m over two seasons to a low-profile coach with very little senior coaching experience. After all, that's what we've been discussing in this thread. The blokes who are funding Heart have every reason to be concerned about the new appointment.

But I don't see that the Board taking an active interest means that the club is about to implode.

• Like 2

I beleive you have misused the term.

Probably.

The germans actually win trophies, the dutch play pretty rinusball and win shit fuck all.

I agree. I just find it ironic (I think?) that you complain about an efficient Chelsea side beating the total football playing Barcelona as if it were some kind of anti-football crime but now you want Heart to play an efficient game rather than "rinusball."
  • Like 3

Probably.

I agree. I just find it ironic (I think?) that you complain about an efficient Chelsea side beating the total football playing Barcelona as if it were some kind of anti-football crime but now you want Heart to play an efficient game rather than "rinusball."

No. You used it aptly.

Chelsea weren't efficient, you were efficient at parking the bus and you've won shit fuck all. There is no comparison.

Ever since the hilarious events @ the tenzo, I do enjoy stirring you up. Don't let that cloud your use of literary features. More questions than a journalist on crack cocaine.

Back on topic, I'm expecting Aloisi to get the nod. Having met both men, Aloisi is a leader of men and reeks of passion, Milicic is not and should fuck off back to Western Sydney.

On the FB page 67% voted Milicic.

I'm undecided, Milicic has been talking a lot to the media, and Aloisi seemed to bee taking most of the drills when I was down at training.

Milicic did mention something about 'co-managers', however that would be a farce. Maybe that's the hold up, not a experianced manager...

If Aloisi gets it, it will be because the Board has been spooked by Victory appointing Postecoglou.

And if he does get it, I predict that Milicic will leave.

Meaning we will have lost all three of our inaugural coaching team (Olsen, JvS and Milicic), and we will be looking for a new Assistant Coach and an NYL Coach for next year (unless the NYL folds).

I see Aloisi as a very risky choice indeed.

• Like 1

announcement to be made on Tuesday. Expect it to be Aloisi

referring to the post i made a few days ago ^ It will be Aloisi purely because the club needed a 'name' to appoint as a coach otherwise we won't get any space in the papers. Pretty much all football fans in Australia know 'John Aloisi' from when he scored the winning penalty to get us through to the world cup, but how many have heard of Milicic? Not sure if Milicic will head to WS, but either way i think the club will still appoint a 'mentor' which has been stated in articles a couple of times. I guess we can only hope Aloisi gets things right and Milicic stays, because i still believe with some good recruiting this off season we can be serious contenders to win the league next season.

No one new who van schip was either - didnt take long for us to get to know him...Hard to tell who would be a good choice.

Think either choice is a gamble. Might work, might not.

Its only one piece of the puzzle - you need to get all the pieces to make it work.

If the club announce Aloisi tommorow I'll be that disappointed. It would be such a short sighted decision, made to grab a bit of media attention. It'll get us maybe a double page spread in the herald sun and a 5 minute segment on the news at most. Then we'll just fade back into obscurity and it'll be another Mehmet Duracovic saga. I'm not doubting Aloisi's ability to be a great coach in the future, but he's just not ready.

If we're promoting from within Milicic is the only option.

• Like 4

Who are we to decide he's not ready? Everybody has to start somewhere.

Mate. His total experience as a coach is one season coaching a bunch of kids. People have also said on here that he doesn't even have the required licenses. How lowly do we rate ourselves? That is surely not enough to be in charge of an A-League team, regardless of where he's played and his fame.

I'll wait to see the announcement, but on the face of it, I'm sceptical about appointing Aloisi at this stage. I think he's got more going for him than Durakovic, and I believe he's been doing his licences in Europe but don't know what level he's up to. In fact, I think he's been working really hard since retiring - scouting for the youth team as well as coaching and whatever. But it's still very early. And if it's about marketing and publicity, then it's a terrible decision.

And I agree that Milicic will probably look at getting a senior job elsewhere or an assistants job under a more experienced coach. It disrupts what would seem a natural progression from JVS to Milicic to Aloisi.

Hope they have a good mentor lined up. To look at an AFL example, it would be nice if Aloisi had a 'Bomber Thompson' to his James Hird.

Hopefully the announcement tomorrow, if Aloisi, also comes with an experienced mentor too. I like most on here is sceptical about the appointment, and why it took so bloody long to come up with the youth coach is another question that hopefully is answered.

Anyway, upwards and onwards, now lets get some players so we can actually field a team next year and hopefully it all works out.

I am telling you now, with Ang and the Victory, we need good results or we as a club are in trouble. Big risk here by the club.

The whole point of JvS being paid so much was to come here and set up a structure that can be followed by AM & JA, I don't see a problem with signing JA it will give us a chance to see how much work JvS has done behind the scenes and if we should keep heading in this direction.

I agree it's riskier than appointing Milicic. We've lost 1/3 of our senior player list, our senior coach, maybe the senior assistant coach (if JA gets the job) and then our youth coach (if we need to replace JA). Risky. We're betting the bank on this hand!

If we had won the NYL, you could disregard his lack of experience and at least say he has shown something, but the NYL team finished 5th and it is a fairly good team if you ask me.

He doesnt have any senior experience.

he hasnt achieved anything in charge of a youth team.

He has no time as an assistant under a senior manager.

he probably offered to do the job for next to nothing whereas Milicic probably wanted a half decent salary because of the West Sydney interest. FFS.

Just found out what the issue was with the appointment.

Remember how I said my 'source' said the were speaking to an experienced 'name'...?

Well, that was not regarding the top job.

Tomorrow will be not only the announcement of Aloisi, it will be the announcement of the whole managerial team.

And I'm not sure if that will include Ante Milicic...

EDIT: Thoughts on who it may be? Bligberg, Culina, McKinna, Ross Aolisi...?

Edited by LR9
  • Like 1

Just found out what the issue was with the appointment.

Remember how I said my 'source' said the were speaking to an experienced 'name'...?

Well, that was not regarding the top job.

Tomorrow will be not only the announcement of Aloisi, it will be the announcement of the whole managerial team.

And I'm not sure if that will include Ante Milicic...

Let's hope your right mate. This is more to my liking.

Read last week that Popovic wasn't keen on the two year contract WS were offering. If so, it would seem Milicic would have to be favourite for the WS job.

Thats' everyone pretty much sorted now I think except Sydney. lol.

Edited by Sash

Love to say the board wouldn't be so stupid to have a knee jerk reaction to Postecoglou's Victorian presence, but I just can't bring myself to atm.....

Would be somewhat shocked with appointing John on the face of it but on further thought it's not so shocking really,

Was always going to be internal before it was announced JVS was leaving so naturally you think it's the current assistant but this has been drawn out to long if that's the case.

Possibly Ante hasn't been in favor seeings we offered JVS a third year. Obviously the failed crack at Ange has delayed the naming but for this long?

Weighing things up applicant A has played a bit part for Australia, coached in Sydney for a season and run the errands and held the whiteboard at U'20 world cups and for JVS since 2009.

Applicant B has been an Australian squad mainstay thus ensuring a profile, knocked around Heart with close to as much opportunity to pick JVS's brain as app A and played at a much higher level with a greater exposure to high class coaches, backroom staff and contacts.

Guess it comes down to how they weight profile, exposure level and coaching experience.

All I know is weighing things up personally I have Aloisi in front.

Perhaps what would appear to be a stupid knee jerk reaction is not so. Whoever is chosen I just hope the board can kick a goal for once. it would be greater than life itself!

WTF is this "mentor" shyte? How does that work, exactly?

Seems just more of the current 20-something generation's thing of it being someone else's fault when things wrong. Absolute bollocks.

The senior coach is either ready to be the senior coach and live and die by his decisions, or he's not. If he's not then he should not be the senior coach and in other sane parts of the world this role is known as "The Assistant Coach".

Mentors my backside!

As far as continuing JVS's legacy. What legacy would that be: kick it back to the keeper 273 times per game beacsue we have an ineffectual midfield? Christ one of the things I was looking forward to was the end of the JVS second year "style".

If that shit continues with the way the standard is going up in the A-league (Newcastle were playing good football towards the end, Roar will continue on, Postecoglou WILL get the filth playing better, Perth are not the thugs they're made out to be anymore, and we know the Mariners will be thereabouts) we could end up irrelevant. I bet the FFA will also put together a very competitive WS team as well.

If JA is the man, then this about penny pinching and perceived marketability. In other words, we're fucked.

• Like 2

Aloisi will be a good public face for the club. An experienced mentor will come cheaper than an experienced coach due to the (presumably) part time nature of it. I'll trust the clubs judgement at this stage.

Edited by Jake