Melbourne Football

Damien Duff

Harrison

not even that upset that he's injured, would be a great chance for the gooch if we actually had a lb

:droy:

Good Call... its great that the best winger who has has ever played for the club is injured because now we can play a #yoof that don't deserve a game. :rolleyes:

How the fuck did I end up following the Fremantle Dockers of the A-League???  :angry:

Edited by cadete
  • Like 5

not even that upset that he's injured, would be a great chance for the gooch if we actually had a lb

Good Call... its great that the best winger who has has ever played for the club is injured because now we can play a #yoof that don't deserve a game. :rolleyes:

How the fuck did I end up following the Fremantle Dockers of the A-League???  :angry:

he's been pretty disappointing wrong position or not, has 4 assists but weren't 2 from corners?

so many times he'll have it on the wing and just turn back and pass back when he's good enough to take the defender on

if you showed someone who never watched an EPL game in his life Duff play this season there is no way he or she would guess he is ex EPL, better than most of our players granted but everytime he gets challenged he falls over looking for a foul ,runs on empty after 45 mins ,  some people are blinkered because of their nationality or favourite clubs from UK but for me he has not been worth it based on the state of our squad & he is only here for one season been a pointless aquisition

• Like 2

if you showed someone who never watched an EPL game in his life Duff play this season there is no way he or she would guess he is ex EPL, better than most of our players granted but everytime he gets challenged he falls over looking for a foul ,runs on empty after 45 mins ,  some people are blinkered because of their nationality or favourite clubs from UK but for me he has not been worth it based on the state of our squad & he is only here for one season been a pointless aquisition

What happens is that Duff sees the complete absence of an intelligent pass to a team mate that comes from our lack of intelligent movement off the ball by players to support his run. The only options then are to turn over the ball to the player pressing him or to try and draw a foul. He's very good at doing the latter.

• Like 2

What happens is that Duff sees the complete absence of an intelligent pass to a team mate that comes from our lack of intelligent movement off the ball by players to support his run. The only options then are to turn over the ball to the player pressing him or to try and draw a foul. He's very good at doing the latter.

Unless the goalkeeper brings him down, then it's play-on!  :droy:

I tend to think of us as the Brisbane Bears before they were able to get the good draft picks and Leigh Matthews.

he's been pretty disappointing wrong position or not, has 4 assists but weren't 2 from corners?

so many times he'll have it on the wing and just turn back and pass back when he's good enough to take the defender on

I really don't follow why an assist from a corner is any less valuable than an assist from general play... leads me to wonder if you consider goals from Free Kicks also less valuable than those from General Play and if so does than mean that you have a very low opinion of Boutsi??? :hmm:

This has nothing to do with where Duff comes from... it is a simple bloody fact that in four years that despite recruiting 427 of them Melbourne Heart never had a winger that performed better than Duff has in his short time at City (Despite some patchiness in some games) and therefore Thrillhouse being excited as the prospect of Duff being injured makes no bloody sense.

If you think otherwise please do list them better Wingers than Duff who played for MHFC?

Edited by cadete
  • Like 4

I tend to think of us as the Brisbane Bears before they were able to get the good draft picks and Leigh Matthews.

The Brisbane Bears unlike the early Dockers did not have fans who convinced themselves that whilst their team putted in ratshit performances that...

Other things like the sides “Philosophy”, “Style of Play” or “Youth Policy” were more important than winning games.

I really don't follow why an assist from a corner is any less valuable than an assist from general play... leads me to wonder if you consider goals from Free Kicks also less valuable than those from General Play and if so does than mean that you have a very low opinion of Boutsi??? :hmm:

This has nothing to do with where Duff comes from... it is a simple bloody fact that in four years that despite recruiting 427 of them Melbourne Heart never had a winger that performed better than Duff has in his short time at City (Despite some patchiness in some games) and therefore Thrillhouse being excited as the prospect of Duff being injured makes no bloody sense.

If you think otherwise please do list them better Wingers than Duff who played for MHFC?

I am a bit lost. Duff has been among our top 3 week in week out. Now he's out people are turning on him and slamming his shortcomings. Ease up, his assist  alone in round 1 for me was enough to warrant him being here for a season. He's surrounded by plodders and I am tending to think he's playing on the right due to who's been at lb for most of the season. I think maybe he shouldn't have been playing full games, but because he's been good and the replacement average he's stayed on. For me he should play 60mins, but wiser than I think otherwise.  

if the cross is half decent then it's up to the players attacking it to get in the right position and try knock it in

this has sometimes worked for us as other keepers have done a redders and left an open net

I am a bit lost. Duff has been among our top 3 week in week out. Now he's out people are turning on him and slamming his shortcomings. Ease up, his assist  alone in round 1 for me was enough to warrant him being here for a season. He's surrounded by plodders and I am tending to think he's playing on the right due to who's been at lb for most of the season. I think maybe he shouldn't have been playing full games, but because he's been good and the replacement average he's stayed on. For me he should play 60mins, but wiser than I think otherwise.  

Football fans the world over are a fickle lot, and as soon as their season looks like going pear-shaped they'll turn on anybody and everybody.

That said, I'd say that just watching Duff he is a good player, but I also would not have picked him as someone who until February was playing in the EPL. Likewise the short videos I saw of Koren in pre-season gave me exactly the same impressions.

Maybe what we learn from this is that signing one or two "star" players is not actually the way to go at all. We have said many times that football is a team game and the team is only as good as its weakest link. Similarly, the "star" player's attributes are diminished simply because the players around him are not able to respond to him because they are not good enough to do so.

I've never been confident that Heart or City has made its signings with any sort of plan sitting behind them. IMO if you're going to be successful in a salary- and numbers-capped league you need to have an image of the team that you are building with each signing, rather than sign players and then try to shoe-horn them into the way you want the team to play. When you go though our list player by player there's not a lot wrong with it. It's when you stand back and look at it holistically you see how unbalanced it is.

• Like 1

How the fuck did I end up following the Fremantle Dockers of the A-League??? :angry: Because it was either the dockers or the Collingwood of the a league.

I'll be fucked if I was ever going to support the magpies of the a league

• Like 1

Duff might well be in our top 3 performers thats based on the others outwith of Mooy bein absolute shite, he isnt what i had hoped for and am glad that we not wasting too much money on him

Duff might well be in our top 3 performers thats based on the others outwith of Mooy bein absolute shite, he isnt what i had hoped for and am glad that we not wasting too much money on him

So we all agree...

1. Duff is the best Winger to date to play for MHFC or MCFC.

2. Duff is currently in the best three performers for MCFC to date.

3. Duff currently has more assists than any other player in the league despite playing in a side that has performed poorly.

What more do we want from a Winger playing on the wrong side in a shit team coached by a shit coach??? :hmm:

Edited by cadete
  • Like 5

if the cross is half decent then it's up to the players attacking it to get in the right position and try knock it in

this has sometimes worked for us as other keepers have done a redders and left an open net

I suppose you do that a few times but then you just start to look like a goose to the casual fan because it looks like you've kicked the ball to nobody, and you just create defensive pressure that comes with a possession turnover.

When you consider that Duff is a left sided player and has been playing on the right wing it is logical that he will mostly turn in to the centre of the pitch to get onto his favourite foot (left). iF HE WAS PLAYED ON THE LEFT WING WE MAY SEE HIM CENTRE THE BALL MORE OFTEN.

Duffs best football has been on the left. Personally, I'd rather see him playing there for us. If he was a higher scoring winger that often cut inside from the right and troubled the keeper that would be great, but his not. His a assist type of winger that provide great balls. I'd much prefer him on the left.

• Like 1

So we all agree...

1. Duff is the best Winger to date to play for MHFC or MCFC.

2. Duff is currently in the best three performers for MCFC to date.

3. Duff currently has more assists than any other player in the league despite playing in a side that has performed poorly.

What more do we want from a Winger playing on the wrong side in a shit team coached by a shit coach??? :hmm:

Nail, head. Can't believe I'm reading so much negative stuff about one of our best players LOL.

• Like 1

I'd say we are playing with inverted wingers as we don't have the people in the middle to make the most of crosses. Mate definitely seems to be better as an inverted winger and Duff is leading assist provider there so don't know if we can complain about the wingers this year. Is a fuck load better than watching *insert any of our previous wingers* float crosses to no one or out of play.

Be interesting to see if it changes up when we have someone up front capable of posing a genuine threat in the air in Kennedy later this season for the first time in our history.

• 5 weeks later...

Nobody doubts Duff's ability or desire to win, however, I have grown ever more concerned with his value in the team as the season has progressed.

I don't think JVS is coaching Duff to be the most effective player that he could be in our team.  I think that Duff has probably taken free reign to make his own decisions on the pitch, whereby he has often held the ball for too long trying to beat players, missed passing opportunities or taken selfish shots at goal - he seemed better earlier in the season where he was more inclined to make the 1st pass or cross.  Also, we are yet to see him play on the left.  I also noted that he & Koren were obviously looking for each other in our most recent loss, and missing or overlooking perhaps better passing options, which worries me that Koren may start playing his own game also, as opposed to what's best for the team (noting that the loss against CCM was a horror game in general for the club).

I doubt JVS would have the intestinal fortitude to give either of these players a rocket to try get them to stick to a game plan and will be interested to see how they combine for the rest of the season.

Nobody doubts Duff's ability or desire to win, however, I have grown ever more concerned with his value in the team as the season has progressed.

I don't think JVS is coaching Duff to be the most effective player that he could be in our team.  I think that Duff has probably taken free reign to make his own decisions on the pitch, whereby he has often held the ball for too long trying to beat players, missed passing opportunities or taken selfish shots at goal - he seemed better earlier in the season where he was more inclined to make the 1st pass or cross.  Also, we are yet to see him play on the left.  I also noted that he & Koren were obviously looking for each other in our most recent loss, and missing or overlooking perhaps better passing options, which worries me that Koren may start playing his own game also, as opposed to what's best for the team (noting that the loss against CCM was a horror game in general for the club).

I doubt JVS would have the intestinal fortitude to give either of these players a rocket to try get them to stick to a game plan and will be interested to see how they combine for the rest of the season.

So you are worried that these two blokes are not going to play according to JVS's Game Plan??? :unsure:

The same plan that has yielded this club nothing in Two and a Half/Three Seasons of Football.

I had begun to think I was alone in doubting Duff's value...

Based on what I've seen him do for City I would never have guessed that last season he was playing in the EPL.

Duff should simply be played on the left.

Its so obvious every time when he gets the ball what he is going to do. He'll dribble the ball down into the corner, then do a 180 and swing back on his left and by the time he does that, all the momentum from the attacking move is gone.

I don't know whether he's always played on the right or JVS is telling him to, but if he was on the left i bet you he would be twice as better as he was now.

Its so obvious every time when he gets the ball what he is going to do. He'll dribble the ball down into the corner, then do a 180 and swing back on his left and by the time he does that, all the momentum from the attacking move is gone.

I don't know whether he's always played on the right or JVS is telling him to, but if he was on the left i bet you he would be twice as better as he was now.

You do realise you just pointed one of main reasons (Playing Players out of Position) that PPL keep bringing up on here as to why your hero JVS is a shit coach??? :hmm:

• Like 2

I don't think JVS is coaching Duff to be the most effective player that he could be in our team. I think that Duff has probably taken free reign to make his own decisions on the pitch, whereby he has often held the ball for too long trying to beat players, missed passing opportunities or taken selfish shots at goal - he seemed better earlier in the season where he was more inclined to make the 1st pass or cross. Also, we are yet to see him play on the left. I also noted that he & Koren were obviously looking for each other in our most recent loss, and missing or overlooking perhaps better passing options, which worries me that Koren may start playing his own game also, as opposed to what's best for the team (noting that the loss against CCM was a horror game in general for the club).

You do realise you just pointed one of main reasons (Playing Players out of Position) that PPL keep bringing up on here as to why your hero JVS is a shit coach??? :hmm:

he hasn't had a choice with other players playing out of position such as Rambo at lb, Archibald/weilart at rb, even Williams at striker. There list was handicapped from the JA era. You can only turn over so many players.

and hes not my hero ffs, the blokes never been given a go with a decent list.

I don't think JVS is coaching Duff to be the most effective player that he could be in our team. I think that Duff has probably taken free reign to make his own decisions on the pitch, whereby he has often held the ball for too long trying to beat players, missed passing opportunities or taken selfish shots at goal - he seemed better earlier in the season where he was more inclined to make the 1st pass or cross. Also, we are yet to see him play on the left. I also noted that he & Koren were obviously looking for each other in our most recent loss, and missing or overlooking perhaps better passing options, which worries me that Koren may start playing his own game also, as opposed to what's best for the team (noting that the loss against CCM was a horror game in general for the club).

I don't know whether he's always played on the right or JVS is telling him to, but if he was on the left i bet you he would be twice as better as he was now. You do realise you just pointed one of main reasons (Playing Players out of Position) that PPL keep bringing up on here as to why your hero JVS is a shit coach??? :hmm:

he hasn't had a choice with other players playing out of position such as Rambo at lb, Archibald/weilart at rb, even Williams at striker. There list was handicapped from the JA era. You can only turn over so many players.

and hes not my hero ffs, the blokes never been given a go with a decent list.

We have been through this before...

JVS arrived in Melbourne early so he could basically handpick the inaugural squad so he can't blame anyone bar himself if the Season One Squad was supposedly no good.

And even then way back then in our first Season he was playing players stupidly out of position when he took the league's best Box to Box Midfielder in Matty Thompson and tried to turn him into a Centre-Back. 

And even then way back then in our first Season he was playing players stupidly out of position when he took the league's best Box to Box Midfielder in Matty Thompson and tried to turn him into a Centre-Back.

Under JVS Thompson went from a dynamic, creative, goal scoring midfielder to a negative, hesitant player bereft of any sort of confidence. The Christmas derby in season 2 was an example of the sort of player he might've been for us...unfortunately he was shunted around like annie & clarabel

• Like 1

Under JVS Thompson went from a dynamic, creative, goal scoring midfielder to a negative, hesitant player bereft of any sort of confidence. The Christmas derby in season 2 was an example of the sort of player he might've been for us...unfortunately he was shunted around like annie & clarabel

He also scored a great solo goal in Wellington and the more famous freakish long range effort in wet at AAMI in the middle of JVS's deluded experiment... but of course JVS continued with his insanity.