Melbourne Football

Damien Duff

Harrison

Great signing, its good to see the club has the stuck with mentality of signing senior players with the intention of them to help develop the young ones. This is shaping up to be a great squad, And the duff man tifo will look amazing imo I'm definitely up for making that!

You can say that again..

Duff joins Melbourne City FC on one-year deal

Chris McNulty

June 10, 2014

DAMIEN Duff has signed for Melbourne City FC on a one-year contract, management agency IKON Talent has confirmed.

The 35-year-old former Republic of Ireland international says he is 'excited' to be embarking on a new venture to the Hyundai A-League. Duff's departure from relegated Fulham was announced last month following the club's relegation from the Premier League.

The Dublin, who spent five seasons at Craven Cottage, is looking forward to the move Down Under.

"They’re a very ambitious club with great plans, and I’m looking forward to winning things at Melbourne City," Duff said.

“This is a new challenge for me and one I’m very much looking forward to. I’ve been lucky enough to spend a long time playing in the Premier League, which I’ve really enjoyed. This move will be something different for me, and is a very exciting next step.

“I hope to be able to help Melbourne City win games, and also hopefully I can pass my experience to their younger players. It’s a very exciting project to be involved in, and I’m eager to get started.”

Duff made 100 appearances for Ireland. He played his last international game in the 2-0 Euro 2012 defeat to Italy in Poznan, a game in which Duff captained Ireland.

Duff was given his senior Irish debut by Mick McCarthy in March 1998 against the Czech Republic. At the Under-20 World Cup in 1999, Duff created history when he scored the first-ever Golden Goal in a World Cup match as Ireland defeated Morocco on their way to finishing third. Duff also played for Ireland at the 2002 World Cup and scored one of his eight international goals in the 3-0 win over Saudi Arabia in Yokohama.

Melbourne coach John van't Schip is delighted to secure Duff's signature as the club's third visa player for the new season - they are allowed another two.

“We’re excited to have a player of Damien’s quality and experience for this season," he said.

"We believe he can offer international-standard quality on the pitch and will also be a great professional example for our younger players.

“His career speaks for itself. He has achieved almost everything at club level and has been a great player at an international level too."

Duff has two Premier League medals from his time at Chelsea and has won the League Cup with Chelsea and Blackburn Rovers, while he played for Fulham in the 2010 Europa League final, a game they lost 2-1 to Atlético Madrid in Hamburg.

In a recent interview, Duff signalled his intention to finish his career by playing in the League of Ireland when he said: "I'm not planning on hanging up my boots any time soon, I think there's an awful lot more left in the tank. I need to get back fit first but I'm absolutely, definitely going to play at home in Ireland."

http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/12433/duff-joins-melbourne-city-fc-on-one-year-deal/

Interesting.. Obviously fits the criteria of a playing mentor for the youngsters, will be under the cap and I see him as a player that will help in this transition stage we are in.

There´s few negatives unless he breaks a leg day one..

Indeed.

When you sign a 35 year old, if you are serious you need to look at the big picture.  A 35 year old will require back up and we have that in Benny Garuccio.  In addition Garuccio will now have the opportunity to learn from one of the best wingers in the business.  Hopefully by season end Benny will be ready to take over from Duffman. 

• Like 1

I'm still baffled as to how they got this guy under the salary cap - maybe it's the reverse of the Villa contract; Duff plays for us and after our season is finished he goes to NYCFC and gets another pay packet there.

IMO the use of the word "project" in the news item could be significant.

I'm still baffled as to how they got this guy under the salary cap - maybe it's the reverse of the Villa contract; Duff plays for us and after our season is finished he goes to NYCFC and gets another pay packet there.

I think Duff pretty clearly explained his plans post-Fulham to this newspaper in April 2014:

“I’m up at the end of the season,” he said, “the club haven’t spoken to me and I haven’t spoken to the club but we don’t need to speak: I’ll be leaving Fulham. I’ve had a great time here but that’s football.

“I’ve had a few whispers from here and there but I’m just trying to get this (his knee) right first. I’ve looked at the Australia or America thing for a bit, it would be a different way of life, a different league; I think life’s too short just to be stuck in the rat race, if that’s the right phrase, over here so I’d maybe like to taste something new before I go back home.”

Asked whether Robbie Keane has recommended a switch to MLS to him, he said: “We’ve had a bit of banter alright. He obviously loves it and every six months I see he’s signed a new deal so he’ll be there for a good while yet.

“We’ll see what happens but I wouldn’t mind trying it to be fair but I have to get back fit first, I’ve got a screw in my knee now and a screw in the knee of a jinky winger doesn’t really go hand in hand . . . but we’ll see what happens. We’d be up for it and we’d like to see the world but it wouldn’t be for a jolly up. I’m still as hungry as ever.”

“Everybody knows I want to go back and play in Ireland,” he says, “but whether that’s this summer I don’t know. My body feels good so I’d like to do a year or two elsewhere first.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/english-soccer/damien-duff-to-travel-further-afield-before-returning-to-ireland-1.1763176

To me, it just looks like Duff got a bit tired of things in Britain, playing with an unimpressive Fulham for a few years, who then got relegated at the end of last season, and he wanted to do something new. Duff looks like one of the rare cases of a footballer who wants to experience something new, and money is maybe no longer the main motivating factor for him.

Also, I'm sure the injury would have significantly have knocked down his value, and he was arguably overpaid at Fulham. 

So overall I wouldn't say it's that surprising that Duff signed for a few hundred thousand with our club, and all the exciting changes at the club under the new ownership maybe got the deal over the line (as opposed to another Australian or American club he might join).

I think Duff is just a reminder that the standard signing for this club has gone up (and hopefully the marquee signings as well), and we are allowed to expect more of new club signings than we used to.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

Very, very happy to have the experience and nous that Duff brings to our side and not having to pay marquee wages. The mentoring value he brings to our younger brigade will hopefully pay off in spades. Looking good for the derby already and that's without foreign and Aussie marquees appointed.

Don't want to piss on anyone's chips but he's way past his best and very, very injury prone.

Can you imagine if we got him at his best? Of course he's past his best, he was just a Premier League player.

Injury prone, well he has had an injury but our season, in the warmer weather should help him.

I'm not sure how anyone could find too many negatives with this. He will definitely help our younger players too.

The fact is that just playing at Heart you are hooked into one the richest football organisations in the world. The brand is growing and the opportunities going forward are huge as they introduce youth academies and other related programs work wide. Honestly some of our players should probably be paying City to be part of the team.

Some (mis)reports from the UK about us signing Duff:

The Mirror:

Duff, 35, was released by Fulham at the end of the season and has agreed a one-year deal worth just under £30,000-a-week with the ambitious A-League side.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/transfer-news/damien-duff-joins-manchester-citys-3671921

He can't be on 30,000 pounds a week for a year, or he'd earn more than the whole salary cap lol. 3,000 pounds a week sounds about right, though.

The Daily Star:

The arrival of the experienced international duo [David Villa and Damien Duff] is seen a key step in the development of Melbourne City, as they seek to challenge established neighbours Melbourne Heart.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/383177/DONE-DEAL-Ex-Chelsea-star-Damien-Duff-goes-Down-Under-to-join-Aussie-side-Melbourne-City

Here's actual Damien Duff news, a 10 minute interview with him discussing the move to our club: http://www.newstalk.ie/player/podcasts/Off_The_Ball/The_Off_the_Ball_Football_Show/55671/2/damien_duff_interview

Sounds like a good, very levelheaded guy. He says all the right things in the interview. Keen to see him playing for the club.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

The Mirror:

Duff, 35, was released by Fulham at the end of the season and has agreed a one-year deal worth just under £30,000-a-week with the ambitious A-League side.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/transfer-news/damien-duff-joins-manchester-citys-3671921

He can't be on 30,000 pounds a week for a year, or he'd earn more than the whole salary cap lol. 3,000 pounds a week sounds about right, though.

The Daily Star:

The arrival of the experienced international duo [David Villa and Damien Duff] is seen a key step in the development of Melbourne City, as they seek to challenge established neighbours Melbourne Heart.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/383177/DONE-DEAL-Ex-Chelsea-star-Damien-Duff-goes-Down-Under-to-join-Aussie-side-Melbourne-City

Here's actual Damien Duff news, a 10 minute interview with him discussing the move to our club: http://www.newstalk.ie/player/podcasts/Off_The_Ball/The_Off_the_Ball_Football_Show/55671/2/damien_duff_interview

Sounds like a good, very levelheaded guy. He says all the right things in the interview. Keen to see him playing for the club.

haha quality journalism there. 

The Mirror:

The Daily Star:

haha quality journalism there. 

Can't wait for the big derby vs the heart.

• Like 3

This is a great signing, in particular because its under the cap and only for 1 season. Lets not forget that just because its Damian Duff that his is going to play every min of every game, this signing adds to the depth of the squad being formed. I'm sure he still has his pace and his quality to cross the ball into the box lets not forget he can strike a ball too.

He sounds like such a good bloke. The interviewer was obviously attempting to paint the A-League like a football retirement village trying to get him to reflect on his career as though it had come to an end, and I love how Damien was very focused on the future and adamant that he could have stayed another couple of years in the EPL if he wanted to.

This is just what our league needs.

• Like 1

Good interview there..

But it´s funny how all interviews have the same keywords, "The project" "big plans" "Help them" ... It´s fairly easy to imagine what the salespitch sounded like.
CFG just don´t offer money, they tell people how important they are as well and then they offer them a chance to take part of an adventure

Duff determined to succeed at Melbourne City

John Davidson

11 June 2014

Fulham’s Australian assistant coach Scott Miller says new Melbourne City signing Damien Duff is heading down under to be successful.

City captured the Fulham winger on a free transfer and signed him to a one-year deal.

Duff, who has enjoyed a long career in the English Premier League, had been with the Cottagers since 2009.

Miller, who knows the Irish international well, described it as a great move for the 35-year-old.

“We spoke about it at length and I encouraged him,” Miller said.

“He still has a lot to give and I believe the Melbourne City players will learn a lot from his professionalism and experience.

“Damien is a superb player technically, however his work rate and desire are astounding.

“He will not move to the A-League and treat it with no respect. His ambition in the A-League is to be successful.”

Duff played 100 times for Ireland and featured in World Cups and European championship campaigns.

He won the Premier League title during his time with Chelsea and also has Champions League experience.

Last season he made 18 appearances for Fulham but missed the last 11 matches of the 2013/14 campaign with a knee injury.

Miller says the attacker is still up to it physically and has done his homework on the A-League.

“He's recovering from the injury he sustained during the season,” Miller added.

“However his desire to continue playing will drive him. There’s no doubt he will make an impact in the A-League.

“He's a Premier League player, mobile, quick and very intelligent. I'm sure fullbacks will have a task on their hands when faced with Damien.

“It's funny actually, he was researching it so much before he made his decision he was educating me about players.”

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/duff-determined-succeed-melbourne-city

• Like 1

Duff determined to succeed at Melbourne City

John Davidson

11 June 2014

Fulham’s Australian assistant coach Scott Miller says new Melbourne City signing Damien Duff is heading down under to be successful.

City captured the Fulham winger on a free transfer and signed him to a one-year deal.

Duff, who has enjoyed a long career in the English Premier League, had been with the Cottagers since 2009.

Miller, who knows the Irish international well, described it as a great move for the 35-year-old.

“We spoke about it at length and I encouraged him,” Miller said.

“He still has a lot to give and I believe the Melbourne City players will learn a lot from his professionalism and experience.

“Damien is a superb player technically, however his work rate and desire are astounding.

“He will not move to the A-League and treat it with no respect. His ambition in the A-League is to be successful.”

Duff played 100 times for Ireland and featured in World Cups and European championship campaigns.

He won the Premier League title during his time with Chelsea and also has Champions League experience.

Last season he made 18 appearances for Fulham but missed the last 11 matches of the 2013/14 campaign with a knee injury.

Miller says the attacker is still up to it physically and has done his homework on the A-League.

“He's recovering from the injury he sustained during the season,” Miller added.

“However his desire to continue playing will drive him. There’s no doubt he will make an impact in the A-League.

“He's a Premier League player, mobile, quick and very intelligent. I'm sure fullbacks will have a task on their hands when faced with Damien.

“It's funny actually, he was researching it so much before he made his decision he was educating me about players.”

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/duff-determined-succeed-melbourne-city

Lol can just imagine him researching hoffman probably thinking to himself 'this bloke looks like a pretty solid RV'  :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

True, but class is permanent :up:

Also, he's coming straight from the Premier League, and because the EPL is so rigorous and demanding compared with the A-League, with EPL clubs playing about twice as many games as A-League clubs a season, I expect Duff to be a standout in the A-League. I don't think he'll be marquee quality next season, but I think he'll do pretty well, and he will be a player that people notice, like Youssouf Hersi, who's a winger that also moved to the A-League on the wrong side of 30 and has made a real impression (and Hersi only played in the Netherlands and Greece prior to moving to the A-League, and he played much fewer minutes than Duff did in his 3 prior seasons to his A-League move).

I expect the club will sign some proper marquee players soon, that will probably overshadow Duff, but still I expect Duff to be a good regular contributor, and I believe our team really need players like that for next season and beyond (after enduring too many inconsistent players of questionable quality over our club's seasons). 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Damien Duff eager to begin Melbourne odyssey

30/06/2014

Former Republic of Ireland international Damien Duff is looking forward to a new chapter in his sporting career and his life when he moves to Melbourne in the coming days.

The 35-year-old Dubliner leaves London club Fulham for A-League side Melbourne City and he can't wait for the challenge.

"I can't wait for the big move," he told the Star.

"It's a new chapter in my career and for my family as well and of course I'm looking forward to it."

The Ballyboden native was in Irishtown Stadium on Saturday raising money for charities such as Heart Children Ireland and Aoibheann's Pink Tie.

Duff's own three-year-old son Woody was born with a congenital heart defect which required surgery at six months.

When the surgery was scheduled it clashed with Ireland's Euro 2012 qualifier with Armenia but his wife Elaine (30) convinced him to play the game.

"It was a really hard time. I was saying, 'I can't change [the date of] my son's heart operation to play for Ireland'," he said in an interview recently.

"It just didn't sit right with me. I didn't want to mess with fate.

"I was thinking that if we put it (the surgery) back a week, it mightn't work the next week - it's just the weird way the mind works.

"But my wife talked me around and we did it the week after."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/damien-duff-eager-to-begin-melbourne-odyssey-30394618.html

• Like 2