Melbourne Football

Damien Duff

Harrison

• 3 weeks later...

He's the best player we've had at our club. Hands down. Well maybe except for villa. But duff is currently more here than he is.

Wayne Srhoj would like a word with you.

And a certain well-hung Dutchman.

Rutger Worm?

• Like 1

Damien Duff set to show he’s a real City slicker in A-League after glittering career in Premier League

July 27 2014

Matt Windley

DAMIEN Duff says he suffers from Peter Pan Syndrome in that he refuses to believe he’s as old as he is.

At 35, the 100-time Republic of Ireland international and two-time English Premier League winner with Chelsea, says he can be an impact player at his new club, Melbourne City.

The venture to the A-League will be his first club stint outside England.

After making his debut for Blackburn at 18, Duff has carved out a glittering career — mostly in the Premier League — with Rovers, Chelsea, Newcastle and Fulham.

A knee injury in February cut short his last season at the Cottagers, but, fit again, the attacking winger said he was more than capable of dealing with whatever came his way at City.

“I don’t think I’m underestimating the challenge ahead,” Duff said.

“I’m not taking it as if it’s going to be easy. I think players have maybe done that before and found it difficult.

“I’ve watched an awful lot of (A-League) games; you get good footage on YouTube, so throughout the summer I’ve been watching all the different teams and obviously Melbourne Heart, now Melbourne City.

“So I’d like to think I’ve done my homework and know how the league works, what happens in April and May (with the finals), so from that point of view I don’t think I’m going in to the unknown.

“All that’s left now is to have a good pre-season — obviously I’m coming back from an injury — and to get fit and sharp and then hopefully do the business on the pitch.”

Duff said coming to Australia was an attractive lifestyle choice for wife Elaine and their two young children, and money hadn’t been an issue.

He said he initially spoke to managing director of City football services Brian Marwood at the end of last season and met him and Melbourne City coach John van‘t Schip in London soon after.

The pair made their pitch, Duff was “really impressed” and from there he said it was a straightforward decision to sign.

“I just go with what feels right and everything felt right about joining Melbourne City, so for me and my family it was a no-brainer,” he said.

“I just love football. I’m not in to money or anything like that, so there was no haggling over money.

“I’m obviously within the salary cap and I’m just going for a new challenge.”

A FEW DUFF THOUGHTS

CLUB

“Making your debut in the Premier League (for Blackburn against Leicester City in 1997) is always a big moment in any player’s life. On from that it was winning trophies. The Premier League titles with Chelsea, I won two on the bounce there.’’

COUNTRY

“Making my debut (in 1998) and hearing the national anthem with tears in your eyes. There’s nothing better than playing for your country, so scoring in the (2002) World Cup (against Saudi Arabia) was pretty special. I suppose not many Irishmen can claim to have done that.”

BEST PLAYERS

“From an Irish point of view, you’ve got Roy Keane and Robbie Keane. At Chelsea there were a lot of top players there — Didier Drogba, Frank Lampard, Eidur Gudjohnsen, John Terry, Marcel Desailly.”

BEST OPPONENTS

“I suppose recently with Fulham it was always a tough game against Manchester United, but I always loved playing against Patrice Evra, obviously me on the right and him on the left. Back in the day when Harry Kewell was at Leeds, they were a top team, and Gary Kelly, an Irish friend of mine, he was playing at right back in that team when I was on the left so that was always tough against him as well.”

BEST COACH

“Obviously Jose Mourinho. He just gets the players’ respect. On top of that he’s just a top coach and training with him every day is brilliant. Roy Hodgson (at Fulham), the England manager now, he probably gets a bit of stick being the gaffer in England, I’ve had Kenny Dalglish at Blackburn, Giovanni Trapattoni with Ireland, so again I’ve been spoiled with some top managers.”

http://www.news.com.au/sport/football/damien-duff-set-to-show-hes-a-real-city-slicker-in-aleague-after-glittering-career-in-premier-league/story-fndkzvnd-1227003351559

Edited by Murfy1

I am developing a massive crush on Damo already, this guy has already shown an incredibly good attitude towards the club, the league and the way he goes about his football and I am getting more and more excited to watch him star for us.

Amazing that we got him under the cap too to be honest, quality signing.

• 3 weeks later...

such class and hard work, was class last night shame no one was on the same wave link or anywhere close to what he gave.

Absolute class surging forward very aware of his surroundings while the rest of the monkeys just couldn't keep up

After he went off we lost the structure

I know he's a classic winger, but I feel like he'd do a decent job as a false 9, his passing is great and seems to have a fair bit of strength  :up:

edit: he would be able to better dictate forward play I feel in a more central role

Edited by strider
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

On SEN's World of Football tomorrow night:

Tomorrow on @EWFiney_SEN at 8pm @MelbourneCity recruit Damien Duff @gomvfc @LeighBroxham & @FOXFOOTBALL Andy Harper talks @Socceroos

https://twitter.com/Michael_Zappone/status/508894169759109120 Lol, Duff probably won't even know who Broxham is let alone that he's a footballer.

Broxham's a footballer?

• Like 3

Tomorrow on @EWFiney_SEN at 8pm @MelbourneCity recruit Damien Duff @gomvfc @LeighBroxham & @FOXFOOTBALL Andy Harper talks @Socceroos

https://twitter.com/Michael_Zappone/status/508894169759109120 Lol, Duff probably won't even know who Broxham is let alone that he's a footballer.

Broxham's a footballer?

isn't he a dj?

• Like 2

Broxham's a footballer?

He's Emo Merrick and The Dark Lord's love child.

• 3 weeks later...